77 replies to this topic

#41 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:01 PM

Constant sales eventually burn out people. The hardware store I work at constantly does a regular 11% rebate thing with the normal time from of it lasting a week but they've ran it a month and a half. Yet it seems to work as the store chain has 15 new stores opening next year with management positions offered to employees willing to relocate,train, etc.

#42 Geek Verve

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCentral Indiana, USA

Posted 28 September 2018 - 04:47 AM

View PostTiewolf, on 26 September 2018 - 10:48 PM, said:

Anyone else find these sales after sales irritating?

Yeah, it totally sucks when they offer stuff at lower prices or exclusive stuff at normal prices or deals that I don't think are all that great and therefore don't purchase. It all just torments my very soul.

/eyeroll

#43 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 04:51 AM

Based on comments, it's getting at least some people to open their wallets who wouldn't otherwise.

"Something's always on sale" worked really well for JC Penney for decades until they hired that idiot from Apple and plowed a bunch of money into his stupid way of doing things. They still haven't recovered.

#44 Rafe Yomin

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 06:54 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 27 September 2018 - 03:05 PM, said:

exactly,, People tend to forget that new players start all the time.. these new pick a mech sales are wonderful to reduce the grind for new players. Spend 50-60 bucks, and get a whole bunch of mechs, Build a drop deck, level up and get to playing with very little grind.

FTP games and grind is real.. These sales basically takes that grind away completely. That is a very good thing for people willing to part with a few bucks.

Honestly, in todays market of games, if people have $50-60 to spend on games, they'll buy a full game, or several full games.

#45 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:04 AM

sales shouldn't bother you.

what should bother them is that there is no incentive for me to buy anything in the game right now. I don't need the new flavor mech of the day. they all pretty much play the same way, build the same kinds of builds as other mechs. its the same game different look. I have no reason to add more or be first to play it.

I don't need MC for any reason.
I don't need premium time at all.

there is literally no real reason to spend money on the game. you can F2P this game so well unlike other F2P games. they give you enough rewards to be able to do it. they give you enough freebie champions if you want to get a boost.

can't even recall the last time i spent real money on this game. I used to spend quite a bit.

Edited by Bigbacon, 28 September 2018 - 07:06 AM.

#46 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:15 AM

View PostTiewolf, on 27 September 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

No that's not my point. I appreciate sales. My question is why so frequent now? Is there a future for MWO, is stuff I buy now converted to MW5 or is it pgi's last attempt to squeeze what ever they can out of a dead horse?

Lol, y'alls have been crying doom and despair since I first logged onto the forums in late 2015. Back then, we were months from seeing the servers turned off, playership was declining, everything was a dumpster fire.

Then they released the teaser for MW5 and everyone was excited for a month and then, WHAM! back to the paranoid tittering that all of our hard-earned Cbills are, in fact, going to develop that game (which, in fact, they probably are, because

Spoiler

View PostJediPanther, on 27 September 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

Constant sales eventually burn out people. The hardware store I work at constantly does a regular 11% rebate thing with the normal time from of it lasting a week but they've ran it a month and a half. Yet it seems to work as the store chain has 15 new stores opening next year with management positions offered to employees willing to relocate,train, etc.

I am earnestly asking for clarification here - it sounds like your case study disproves your argument that sales burn people out. Can you elaborate?

#47 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:44 AM

View PostJables McBarty, on 28 September 2018 - 07:15 AM, said:

Lol, y'alls have been crying doom and despair since I first logged onto the forums in late 2015. Back then, we were months from seeing the servers turned off, playership was declining, everything was a dumpster fire.

Then they released the teaser for MW5 and everyone was excited for a month and then, WHAM! back to the paranoid tittering that all of our hard-earned Cbills are, in fact, going to develop that game (which, in fact, they probably are, because

Spoiler

I am earnestly asking for clarification here - it sounds like your case study disproves your argument that sales burn people out. Can you elaborate?

During the month and a half sales I noticed a lot less out-of-town customers which the store tries to bring in a lot. As I work both outside and in-store I can easily notice the plates of cars and the area they come from. I notice that at peak times of sales there are less and less customers as the sale goes on. Even hear comments from customers' to the cashiers such as 'eleven percent still going on?'

I even stand by the front end management desk and look at projected sales and actual sales on the computer. Granted I don't have them due to standing a few feet off and at an angle but I do notice in the store's poor text based system the color change marking negative and positive values.

#48 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:53 AM

View PostTiewolf, on 27 September 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

...is it pgi's last attempt to squeeze what ever they can out of a dead horse?

Yes, of course that's what they're doing.

(And there's no way they're going to let you port your content from MWO over to MW5. MW5 is their next big money spinner. They're not giving it away.)

#49 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 29 September 2018 - 09:28 AM

Well I for one will not cough up a single penny.

#50 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 29 September 2018 - 09:37 AM

View PostAppogee, on 29 September 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

Yes, of course that's what they're doing.

(And there's no way they're going to let you port your content from MWO over to MW5. MW5 is their next big money spinner. They're not giving it away.)

MW5 is going to be a single player game at a different point in the BattleTech timeline; of course you're not going to port MWO stuff over to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if buying MW5 and/or completing achievements in MW5 gave you stuff in MWO though. I previously mentioned that I think they should give everyone who buys MW5 a code to get a mech (and mech bay) in MWO, with my suggestion being a Shadow Hawk SHD-7CS (variant doesn't yet exist in the game but can be created).

The MW5 trailers we've seen use the Shadow Hawk, and the 7CS is a variant created in 3066 to put it at the correct spot in MWO's current timeline.

#51 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 29 September 2018 - 06:37 PM

View PostRuccus, on 29 September 2018 - 09:37 AM, said:

I previously mentioned that I think they should give everyone who buys MW5 a code to get a mech (and mech bay) in MWO

Good idea.

I'm not convinced though that they might just shutter MWO once MW5 is out. The playerbase is at a critcally low level.

#52 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 06:47 PM

I really don't understand this comment about too many sales.

It's been FOREVER since we've had a sale on all patterns.

There's never been a 50% off sale on all decals.

There's never been any sales on bolt-ons.

I think some of this perception of too many sales is coming from people who don't buy a lot of stuff to begin with.

So they don't realize that different things are going on sale each time. MWO has a lot of different types of paid content that cycle through sales over the course of a year.

TLDR: If you no whale, you no understandy the sale.

Edited by 5th Fedcom Rat, 29 September 2018 - 06:51 PM.

#53 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 30 September 2018 - 12:13 AM

View PostAppogee, on 29 September 2018 - 06:37 PM, said:

Good idea.

I'm not convinced though that they might just shutter MWO once MW5 is out. The playerbase is at a critcally low level.

they can not close MWO because MWO is giving money ... MW5 ( a Game without Marketing of his own Homepage or in each other sense and only seeing all half Year a little news by PC Gamers)has to sell first, and a pure generic singleplayer game (coop is not really a multiplayer) with a bad AI (the helicopters suggest) in times of open world multiplayer games For me, this is not a recipe for success, and I definitely will not buy it, and even if it sells well against PGI's bad reputation, it's unlikely to cover the development costs.

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 30 September 2018 - 12:18 AM.

#54 Astrocanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 642 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:08 AM

View PostTiewolf, on 26 September 2018 - 10:48 PM, said:

Anyone else find these sales after sales irritating?

Is PGI so desperately grasping for money because they alienated so many costumers by their actions? Was the RoI of Solaris that bad or do they only take marketing serious these days?

I don`t know but these permanent sales got an odd smell to them.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Let me ask you a question: would YOU work entirely for free? Really?

But you expect PGI to do what you want and then complain when they have to pay their people, licensing and infrastructure costs? I can tell you that security certs alone are not paid for until they sell multiple $15 packs. A cheap annual certificate will run them over $300. And that's something you never even have to consider. But you will if their database or systems are hacked. At which point you'll complain that they weren't spending money on the important stuff. And the rest of the playerbase will ***** because, in trying to accommodate the playerbase (Solaris, I'm looking at you) they haven't spent their money in a completely different "most important thing."

There are a lot of expenses in running a company. I would imagine that you would be peeved if the company you worked for included no benefits, for example. And yet, you are complaining that they are trying to make enough money to at least make ends meet.

#55 Geek Verve

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:22 AM

View PostRafe Yomin, on 28 September 2018 - 06:54 AM, said:

Honestly, in todays market of games, if people have $50-60 to spend on games, they'll buy a full game, or several full games.

I have more than that to spend, and when I do spend, atm it's on MWO. I think you're projecting.

#56 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:28 AM

I am waiting for a few specific mechs to go on sale that i have already built in the store's mechlab.

#57 Rafe Yomin

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:43 AM

View PostGeek Verve, on 30 September 2018 - 07:22 AM, said:

I have more than that to spend, and when I do spend, atm it's on MWO. I think you're projecting.

Not really. I'd even take it further. If you give most people the choice to pay $30 for a game they are currently playing, or have them buy a new game, the new game will get a lot of money. "Game loyalty" is largely a thing of the past, and if someone's judging where he'll spend his money best, most people will go and spend it on a full game instead of something like a mech. (Well, unless there are actual microtransactions and cosmetics, and it's something like $1 at a time or something like that). That's the reality of the current market.

MWO's numbers went up when Battetech released. Then dropped down further than it was. I do believe many of those would actually have spent some money and played longer if the game had a realistic cost on what it's selling. Now you basically have the dadwarriors left, and those who genuinely care about the game mostly (not meant as an insult). Sure it's a demographic which will spend money, but it doesn't help keep a game healthy.

#58 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 30 September 2018 - 08:12 AM

I myself have spent nearly 1200 € in the game since the CB ... al i still thought it would work out well ... but after the founders and mW fans were no longer the target group and they wanted to draft other markets (why then MW Fanchise) one dreamed of Esport and wanted more direction FPS with sinking quality and incomprehensible company decisions was my wallet on the large closed for this development ... it is simply Mismanagment in things customer satisfaction.
Now PGI has many different customer groups, all of whom are dissatisfied.to many steps in false Directions..its gives People in the Leading Dev Team thts a Disaster for MWO and the most Games from PGI the last years the talended members from PGI and the Trys of Games like the Transverse Disaster...and the Quality of MWO ...seeing the loading Times by Reconnect and the Disaster of Rejoining with this catastrophic UI

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 30 September 2018 - 08:19 AM.

#59 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 30 September 2018 - 09:01 AM

View PostAppogee, on 27 September 2018 - 03:52 AM, said:

Let me get this straight ... you're irritated that you can consistently buy things much more cheaply than their regular price. Do I have that right...?

While it's a shame that PGI have apparently driven their cash cow over a cliff, I don't think we should be 'irritated' that they're now selling steak at cheaper than usual prices.

Irritated at the way they killed MWO - sure. But not irritated by sales.

Partially correct...

I believe it's irritation caused by PGI breaking MWO and then offering content for a broken product at discounted prices while either being too incompetent or not willing to fix the problems with the base product...

Like a car salesmen selling you a gutted Bugatti, constantly issuing recall orders that replace all the high-end components with knock-off trash while trying to sell you new exhaust systems and rims every month.

#60 Geek Verve

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 09:06 AM

View PostRafe Yomin, on 30 September 2018 - 07:43 AM, said:

Not really. I'd even take it further. If you give most people the choice to pay $30 for a game they are currently playing, or have them buy a new game, the new game will get a lot of money. "Game loyalty" is largely a thing of the past, and if someone's judging where he'll spend his money best, most people will go and spend it on a full game instead of something like a mech. (Well, unless there are actual microtransactions and cosmetics, and it's something like $1 at a time or something like that). That's the reality of the current market.

It has nothing to do with "game loyalty". It's all about the fact that I enjoy playing MWO, and dropping some more money on it will allow me to continue to enjoy it or enjoy it more. Kind of the same reason people continue to spend money on ice cream, even though they've eaten it several times in the past.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users