Skills Weapons

47 replies to this topic

#41 Axys Rageborn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:16 AM

Look I want to be clear here and state that my OP was in regards to all lock-on missiles not lurms as the title suggested. The title just made people click on it haha (my bad).

I get that LRM's are in a pretty good position when boated I never disputed this. Just like any boated weapon system honestly.

My most used weapon system in this game is AMS. Yep AMS. I try and squeeze it on just about any build to make life a bit easier not only myself but my team mates (haha QP is all I really play as I don't wish to be a burden in FW playing solo).

AMS 652 matches 2 days 22:50:23

-second most used-

LARGE LASER 496 matches 2 days 07:55:42

I just felt that the other missiles like SSRM and ATM's could use a little love that's all. the problem is that unfortunately all Lock-on missiles are bound by the same mechanic which makes it hard for any real change to happen. hence the "bug" and the change.

also

View PostVellron2005, on 09 October 2018 - 02:55 AM, said:

Adding extra nodes that negate the lock-on nerf would nerf something else that LRM / ATM / SSRM boats need to use.

This would give "choice" which helps bring "balance". you can't always have everything. So yeah your missiles lock on a bit faster but you have a little less armour or speed or firepower and so on.

If its not nodes then maybe TCs could be the anwser as it takes up slots but give back a bit more functionality. Take a bigger TC > have less ammo. ect ect

P.S - You know you love MWO when you press "O" at the start of a WOT match hahaha.

Edited by Axys Rageborn, 09 October 2018 - 06:23 AM.

#42 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:28 AM

View PostAxys Rageborn, on 09 October 2018 - 06:16 AM, said:

My most used weapon system in this game is AMS. Yep AMS. I try and squeeze it on just about any build to make life a bit easier not only myself but my team mates (haha QP is all I really play as I don't wish to be a burden in FW playing solo).

AMS is and will continue to be useless against LRMs.... if there are few enough LRMS being fired at you that AMS can protect you, its not a truly threatening amount of LRMS in the first place. I laugh as I LRM triple AMS novas to death. Yes, you can negate maybe 15-20% of my firepower. So what, you're still gonna die. Unless you have like 3x triple AMS novas clustered together, which I have seen maybe once in faction play, and even then they successfully negated ONE LRM boat, and my team had like 8 of them, so they still all died.

AMS is great against streaks though. My favorite IS scout mech is the Crab 27... 5 MPL, 2 AMS. Streaks are useless against it.

#43 Axys Rageborn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:39 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 09 October 2018 - 06:28 AM, said:

AMS is and will continue to be useless against LRMs.... if there are few enough LRMS being fired at you that AMS can protect you, its not a truly threatening amount of LRMS in the first place. I laugh as I LRM triple AMS novas to death. Yes, you can negate maybe 15-20% of my firepower. So what, you're still gonna die. Unless you have like 3x triple AMS novas clustered together, which I have seen maybe once in faction play, and even then they successfully negated ONE LRM boat, and my team had like 8 of them, so they still all died.

AMS is great against streaks though. My favorite IS scout mech is the Crab 27... 5 MPL, 2 AMS. Streaks are useless against it.

AMS is just one part of lurm defence and when combined with all the other things like the skill nodes plus cover plus twisting it really does help ease the pain. Sad thing is its really not that hard to put all these different means together i just think people would rather blame the weapons then try to find ways to to stop it themselves.

#44 visionGT4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:37 AM

View PostAsym, on 09 October 2018 - 04:09 AM, said:

you'all would be seriously in trouble from those players and teams that would employ actual military techniques.....

Like ask SACEUR to ring up the boss and ask for the keys, cos the second echelon of T-64's is less than an hour away and we committed everything to stop the first wave! :)

#45 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:35 AM

View PostvisionGT4, on 10 October 2018 - 12:37 AM, said:

Like ask SACEUR to ring up the boss and ask for the keys, cos the second echelon of T-64's is less than an hour away and we committed everything to stop the first wave! Posted Image

I have that merit badge and seemed to have walked every meter of the seven sisters area......... It would have been have been a short and extremely messy adventure......for all concerned. Maybe, some historian will write a counter-part book to Team Yankee? I do have a friend that is writing a book about MACV to enhance what Ken Burns produced in video. And, another that is writing a book about the Berlin "confrontation" and the "almost war"....

#46 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:45 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 09 October 2018 - 05:19 AM, said:

I see a lot of people saying they want options for self locks and self launched UAV's and the ability to use LRMS aggressively... I see a lot of people *saying* that. Realistically, that is extremely rare behavior in game. The vast majority of LRM boats I see playing this game do NOT play that way. They sit back, and fire LRMS from a distance, and wait for others to get locks for them.

Hell, this is basically straight up what PGI has stated the intent of the LRM is, that it is long ranged DPS. All of their nerfs seem to support this, in that they are basically only useful in this role. Which isn't really an issue, given that it's how most people play it anyway. Lots of players on the forum are saying they want it one way, but I believe they are actually the minority.

And here’s the problem. Only this use is relevant. Perfect example of a self fulfilling prophecy. “I never see this in game therefore no one wants it” while ignoring the fact that what people want has been nerfed so far down as to make it impractical to play.

#47 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:50 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 09 October 2018 - 06:28 AM, said:

LOL. Full radar deprivation plus AMSx2 and getting inside 180m=dead LRMboat unless he’s got friends. Every single time I’ve died to a boat it’s been (1) caught in a slow mech too far from cover and he’s got direct fire friends; (2) pushed in on him and he’s got direct fire friends focusing me; (3) he’s got friends backstabbing me.

What do these scenarios have in common? Friends, Teamwork OP, PGI plz nerf.

Let me catch a boat unsupported where I can use terrain masking to break locks. Say bye bye, Boaty McBoatface.

#48 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:56 PM

View PostChados, on 10 October 2018 - 06:50 PM, said:

LOL. Full radar deprivation plus AMSx2 and getting inside 180m=dead LRMboat unless he’s got friends. Every single time I’ve died to a boat it’s been (1) caught in a slow mech too far from cover and he’s got direct fire friends; (2) pushed in on him and he’s got direct fire friends focusing me; (3) he’s got friends backstabbing me.

What do these scenarios have in common? Friends, Teamwork OP, PGI plz nerf.

Let me catch a boat unsupported where I can use terrain masking to break locks. Say bye bye, Boaty McBoatface.

Which is why you move with your team instead if hiding in the back. It's also easier to "aim" and get a lock the closer you are. Honestly, the recent nerfs seem to affect quality of life, while the buffs affect performance. Contrary to the popular belief, there is some skill involved using them, even though aiming aint one of them... well for some it seems to be now. I know I sound like a jerk saying this, but maybe some trainig wit los weapons might help? Sorry I keep seeing ppl complaining about their problems getting and holding a lock and it puzzles and enrages me. If you use their strength and mitigate their drawbacks, you can do some evil tricks with them, and I CAUTION against any further buffs, cuz they will never be good for those that play the 900m min range game, and are already striding towards broken in the hands of those who don't.

33 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 33 guests, 0 anonymous users