Does Pgi Have The Guts?

29 replies to this topic

#1 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:32 AM

hey everyone!

I would like to hear your opinion on something:

Now, taking into account all that PGI has been through as a company, the current legal issues with Harmony Gold, the cooperation with Harebrained schemes, and MW5, and also this game and the complete revival of the BT fanchise, plus, the fact they have allready released 2 original mechs..

Does PGI have the guts to take this entire setting beyond the Jihad Era? Do you think they have what it takes to add to the setting, introduce it into a new era, never-before seen timeline? Change the cannon moving forward?

Do they even have the legal authority to do so?

Please, don't bash them for past mistakes.. plenty of threads about that.. Simply state your opinion.

#2 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:19 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 09 October 2018 - 01:32 AM, said:

Does PGI have the guts to take this entire setting beyond the Jihad Era?

Thematically, probably. Mechanically as in the implications of new-tech, and mechs, probably not. They don't even have the guts to add the other weapons like Mech-Mortar, the other mechs as well.

Do you think they have what it takes to add to the setting, introduce it into a new era, never-before seen timeline?

Yes they can, but not in satisfactory capacity.

Change the cannon moving forward?

They added RACs before. I doubt that HVAC is that hard. :P

That being said, probably yes. But again, not in satisfactory capacity.

If they have license to use BT, and unless Jihad Era is technically another matter aside from BT, then yes they have the authority to do si.

Please, don't bash them for past mistakes.. plenty of threads about that.. Simply state your opinion.

That's rather hard. Mainly because past performance is a good basis of future performance.

To exclude past performance would completely prevent us from providing an accurate assessment, because without any basis our answer be it "yes" or "no" is rather meaningless. It can also falsely accuse them of having "no-guts" if they actually "have-guts", which really just ends up bashing them anyways.

#3 Black Ivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:16 AM

No they don't, not even remotly. It would also need to allow mix tech and close combat, something PGI said will never happen

#4 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,681 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:50 AM

No, they won't advance out of what is established canonically aside from adding some mechs (I mean, if I was making a game, I'd want to create my own too so I don't blame them). But they won't add to the story because they don't have the resources to do so and I don't see them ever having the resources to create something new and developed like that. It wouldn't be accepted as cannon. What all previous games did was take something from cannon and expound on it, except Battletech which created its own story which was specifically designed not to interfere with cannon. But again, all this is in line with cannon and none of it adds to it. Besides, we have plenty of mechs and weapons. They don't need to design more.

#5 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:57 AM

With enough money, even a donut shop owner could make a game mode work....

Quality versus quantity...... I rather doubt we'd see quality.

#6 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:12 AM

First, no PGI cannot set canon. Nor should anyone even expect, or want, them to try. It''s mind boggling you'd even bring this up.

Second, I don't think even the Mechwarrior fanbase has enough blind, fat, indiscriminate whales to get to beyond Jihad.

Edited by Bombast, 09 October 2018 - 04:16 AM.

#7 Foxfire kadrpg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:37 AM

Why don't we take this online game beyond 12 versus 12 for one battle before we worry about lore?

This game is still pretty much what it has been for seven years now, just with more models going through the same motions.

#8 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:27 AM

Now, taking into account all that PGI has been through as a company, the current legal issues with Harmony Gold, the cooperation with Harebrained schemes, and MW5, and also this game and the complete revival of the BT fanchise ...

You're kidding, right?

Do you think they have what it takes to add to the setting, introduce it into a new era, never-before seen timeline? Change the cannon moving forward?

Based on MWO, I think you are indeed kidding.

Edited by Mystere, 09 October 2018 - 07:30 AM.

#9 4rcs1ne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationKnoxville,TN

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:39 AM

Nope. Not at all.

Even if they could, I wouldn't want them setting canon anyways.

#10 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:57 AM

As a fan of the novels, any lore beyond Civil War arc is unacceptably bad to me. Good thing MWO doesn't care about the actual story of BT universe. So I say they can do whatever they want.

#11 Mechwarrior1441491

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:32 AM

hey everyone!

Now, taking into account all that PGI has been through as a company, the current legal issues with Harmony Gold, the cooperation with Harebrained schemes, and MW5, and also this game and the complete revival of the BT fanchise, plus, the fact they have allready released 2 original mechs..

Does PGI have the guts to take this entire setting beyond the Jihad Era? Do you think they have what it takes to add to the setting, introduce it into a new era, never-before seen timeline? Change the cannon moving forward?

There is no point. The time line was always a waste of time and an anchor they didn't need.

#12 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:23 AM

I wouldn't trust the creative mind(s) behind "Transverse" to do anything remotely acceptable with the story behind the franchise.

#13 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:40 AM

hey everyone!

Your joking right? MWO basically died just before closed beta from lack of real creativity and MWO with some insight into the BT universe could have been game of the year or even rival World of Warcraft in depth but no lets for the last 6 + years lets just stick with the (WOT) clone method and just release minimal viable game modes and more mechs.

I could post thousands of great ideas for MWO from so many past MW2-MW4 players and founders since day 1 but like everything else in this game its just ignore the player base release mechs and the circus moves on.

#14 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:02 PM

KingCobra maybe it's because they're a tiny studio. Maybe it's because no publisher would touch the MechWarrior/battletech franchise with HG looming in the rafters to strike with their lawsuits. Maybe it's because they had to convince some friends to start up IGP and take out a bunch of credit to finance MWO's creation. And free to play was the only business model that was realistically available to them at the time. Only for their team of programmers to leave them with a broken mess. Which they then spent almost a year rebuilding to make it functional. UI2.0? In a perfect world it could have been competitive to other F2P games. But World of Warcraft? That's so ridiculous. Maybe if they dumbed it down so it was easy mode and provided the instant gratification that mainstream titles like to deliver. Even if it was optimized and pretty. The learning curve would still keep it from being mainstream.

#15 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:00 PM

I am pretty sure 90 percent of us players are not clued up on the tabletop timeline lore . I myself have been playing mech warrior games since I was a teen and well my knowledge is a galaxy called the innersphere with houses fighting among each other and also clans are invading .......the end

#16 Zebbi

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:36 PM

Could they? I have no idea, what the talents of the MWO devs are is completely in the dark as the last several yeas has been nothing but mech pack releases, who knows what they can or cant do?

Will they?, by all past events, no they will not, no new content, maps or anything else, mech packs to the death :)

#17 CanadianCyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:48 PM

I do like the aesthetics of the 3100 era mechs. Dat Atlas MKIII Posted Image Posted Image
Also tech wise, there's not a whole lot of new tech to add after the Jihad. Re-engineered Lasers bypass armor resistances to laser weapons and I think Clans officially get RACs in production in 3100s. IS gets the RISC Hyper Laser, that being the highest damage laser in Battletech with 20 damage, beating out the Clan Heavy Large Laser. Mixed tech seems to be more prevalent in the 3100s and from what I've read on other forums, Inner Sphere can actually produce their own XL engines that can survive ST destruction (putting them on par with clan XL FINALLY), but still being rare and only available to high end units.

#18 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:52 PM

If they are brave enough to pursue a platform change for MWO to Unreal, anything is possible. The talent pool (engineers) for that engine is much much larger than for Cryengine and it's also a platform designed to facilitate multiplayer games where CE is designed to facilitate single player experiences. Heck, they could pull talent from the now defunct Heavy Gear Arena game to get started (there was some good work done there).

Edited by kuma8877, 09 October 2018 - 02:53 PM.

#19 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:50 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 09 October 2018 - 12:02 PM, said:

KingCobra maybe it's because they're a tiny studio. Maybe it's because no publisher would touch the MechWarrior/battletech franchise with HG looming in the rafters to strike with their lawsuits. Maybe it's because they had to convince some friends to start up IGP and take out a bunch of credit to finance MWO's creation. And free to play was the only business model that was realistically available to them at the time. Only for their team of programmers to leave them with a broken mess. Which they then spent almost a year rebuilding to make it functional. UI2.0? In a perfect world it could have been competitive to other F2P games. But World of Warcraft? That's so ridiculous. Maybe if they dumbed it down so it was easy mode and provided the instant gratification that mainstream titles like to deliver. Even if it was optimized and pretty. The learning curve would still keep it from being mainstream.

I'm not going to argue with you about what was possible with Cryengine go develop a game using the CryEngine SDK sandbox like I did and you will know what MWO could have been from the beginning with the $5 million USD startup money + the money they have made since. Here is a link watch https://www.cryengine.com/

You have no idea as a long time TT/BT/MechWarrior fan how disappointing MWO was when we all realized MWO was going to be a WOT clone most just left the game or uninstalled after the first year never looking back What 500,000 + players?

#20 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:12 PM

I seriously doubt their license to the IP allows them to create a whole new scenario/era.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users