22 replies to this topic

#21 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:42 PM

OP, observations from our match on Bog just now;

You didn't listen to the calls. The lance on the far right spawn began a far right rotation at the beginning of the match. I called out to them on comms, told them the fight usually takes place at e5, and they began to rotate that way.

This only left about 4-5 of us headed towards e5 where the engagement usually takes place on this map. I called this out bro. I told you guys not to go up there, and that if you would hug the wall and go around you would be straight.

I'm not sure at what point you actually died, but I'm assuming that you were the assault mech who decided to contest the stairs alone and got facerolled (5v1 convergence, 12v1 is pretty rare btw). You didn't listen. Didn't declare your intentions on comms.

You totally could have made it. My 49.5 kph CP-S was in the same lance as you, and I didn't take fire until the rest of the team engaged at the rear of e5. I recognized the situation for what it was, and tried to mitigate it by using the comms to point it out.

We ended up winning because the enemy team got locked in on one of the sides of the top and some of them hopped down.

You gotta watch that mini map man, if you see that the rest of the team isn't going to support you then dip out.

I didn't get a chance to see how your gunnery is, but if you hit me up in game I can help you out a bit in a private lobby if you want.

#22 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:22 PM

Playing assaults is part forethought from previous matches and map knowledge, and part luck as to both team's maneuvering. Wrong place, wrong time, no fore warning, you're not getting out of it.

#23 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:27 PM

View PostZebbi, on 10 October 2018 - 07:57 PM, said:

This is not a bash on quick play, just curious as to which path you would take, and i should take.

The Scenario,
it s QP match, 60 secs in, your team is already getting flanked, your in an assault, the other 3 assaults ran backwards at the first sight of the enemy and are now hiding behind a rock 200 m away.

The ground and pound is coming, the entire enemy team is flanking, assaults leading the way. You are positioned between your soon to be slaughtered lights and mediums, and the rock and hiding assaults.

Do you,

A. run forwards towards your team, push to the front and die in seconds as 12 enemy mechs focus you, feel better about yourself, but get no credits, match score or exp.

B.Run behind the rock with the other assaults and callously farm 500 damage with lrms/atm/laser etc, while your team dies a sad and forlorn death, but you get credit's match score and feel better about the match, maybe.

C Refuse the difficult ethical choice and remain on the spot and just turn to fire as you can at the enemy, You might get some cred and exp and match score, but prob not a lot.

I see some variation of the above a lot, certainly no every qp match bu certainly a large
minority.

What would you do?

Fall back with your assaults and call a target, usually the closest, most open mech of the enemy's push. Keep falling back and keeping distance from the enemy as they move toward you, trading and shooting at the called target. When you see the enemy's push breaking, stop falling back and counter-push.

When flanked, calling targets and actually focusing fire on a single target can often turn a certain stomp into a close match or even a win.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users