Would You Support Recreating Mwo In Unreal4?

140 replies to this topic

#21 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:51 PM

I'd pay nothing. I'd halfway expect a bit foolishly, that pgi would have to "carry over" Founders' Heroes, Loyalty, and other Special mechs such as Sarah's Jenner. We all know pgi's sad history of game *cough*development*cough* If they truly gave a dam about mwo they could have said at any time during the past six years or the two previous mech_con they wanted to re-do or whatever words marketing decides to use "port" mwo into modern-game-engine-of-choice and were going to sell a special fund mwo mech pack while agreeing to "port" everyone's real-money-paied-for mechs for free along with the xp,equipment etc of each mech.

Pretty sure you can google the first few posts about mwo needing a new game engine and find a few long before mw5 was a thing.

#22 FireStoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:53 PM

This will sound horribly pessimistic, but I don't have buckets of faith in PGI's programmers involving this effort. I'm not saying I wouldn't want it, or that I wouldn't pay for it - I do and I would. But my common sense over the reality of their staff gets in the way of reaching for my wallet.

#23 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:24 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 11 October 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

So how many of you, that are still ghosting the forums, would buy a MW02.0 supporter pack?

I would. I like piloting big stompy mechs form BT universe. And only this game delivers that so far.

But I aint gonna invest a lot of cash, cause its PGI.

Edited by El Bandito, 12 October 2018 - 01:26 AM.

#24 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:42 PM

View PostFireStoat, on 11 October 2018 - 04:53 PM, said:

This will sound horribly pessimistic, but I don't have buckets of faith in PGI's programmers involving this effort. I'm not saying I wouldn't want it, or that I wouldn't pay for it - I do and I would. But my common sense over the reality of their staff gets in the way of reaching for my wallet.

I dunno I think the Mechwarrior Academy is a good example of what they could do even with their janky engine. Which is probably why we haven't seen anything on that level since. They were probably like "This is too much work on this engine...". And Russ said somethings that suggested their time developing on the Unreal4 Engine has been a much better experience. They probably figured it was more cost effective to develop MW5 than any real content for MWO. Especially as Unreal4 has a lot more built into it.

View PostJediPanther, on 11 October 2018 - 04:51 PM, said:

I'd pay nothing. I'd halfway expect a bit foolishly, that pgi would have to "carry over" Founders' Heroes, Loyalty, and other Special mechs such as Sarah's Jenner. We all know pgi's sad history of game *cough*development*cough* If they truly gave a dam about mwo they could have said at any time during the past six years or the two previous mech_con they wanted to re-do or whatever words marketing decides to use "port" mwo into modern-game-engine-of-choice and were going to sell a special fund mwo mech pack while agreeing to "port" everyone's real-money-paied-for mechs for free along with the xp,equipment etc of each mech.

Pretty sure you can google the first few posts about mwo needing a new game engine and find a few long before mw5 was a thing.

They were talking about the idea of redoing MWO before MW5. But Russ flat out said it would have to be a complete rebuild. Which from his tone one could intimate he didn't like the idea of what that would cost. They certainly don't have five million laying around. So it makes sense that they would make MW5, get a cash infusion from it's launch. Then potentially have an already built platform from which to build on for a new MWO. But of course this is all just up in the air speculation! It just seems to me like the best way to do it while offsetting the costs and risk.

The only thing that bothers me is that they've been incredibly tight lipped about MW5 or further MWO development. But then MechCon is coming up and they don't have much else to talk. So hopefully it'll be only good news.

Edited by MechaBattler, 11 October 2018 - 09:50 PM.

#25 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:54 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 11 October 2018 - 11:59 AM, said:

Only if all my 'mechs came with me. Otherwise, I'd take the F2P route.

same

View Postdante245, on 11 October 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

or they could just update the game then have to a new graphics system...its not like its not do able https://www.pcgamer....s-in-update-10/

Russ said (when He was thinking out loud about it) that upgrading MWO to a new CryEngine is just as much work as switching to UE

View PostFireStoat, on 11 October 2018 - 04:53 PM, said:

I know what you are saying to be true, that said, they have build a new Game with a new Engine.
Just not the team "working" on MWO

Maybe they can manange to basically just port the rest over (hint, aside from mechs there is not a lot worth porting anyway)

Edited by Peter2k, 11 October 2018 - 09:57 PM.

#26 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 815 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:47 PM

Personally I would rather see the game be taken into the Unreal Engine since its way better and most games I've seen have been using it for new AAA Games. Most people running older PC's wouldn't have to worry so much about any heavy CPU demands on that engine. Problems i've seen with CryEngine is that its not very hardware friendly even with most of modern pc's now. I bought a high rig pc back in 2015 and MWO was the only game that had so much trouble going on in its current Engine. My rig was completely replaced back in 2017 due to a faulty CPU defect, It didn't make much of a difference for MWO. Every time a new patch comes out, it gets slower, constant crashes, and more heavier FPS Stutters. If we were on a Unreal Engine, we wouldn't be seeing that much of those problems at all.

#27 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:06 PM

Sadly I wouldn't. Simply too many failed deliveries with this game. Issues that have been ignored for AGES or things that would have been fixed by anyone willing to admit they made a mistake. Which PGI never will. At least nothing major.

My faith in PGI is pretty much non existent. I check the site now and then to see if anything new and interesting is being done that might get me to come back but all I see are endless flash sales.

I honestly feel like the customer base for this game is a dying horse that PGI is beating to death till they get enough out of them with MW 5 being the last cash grab before they renew or lose the license.

The game was fun once upon a time and had such huge promise. The one thing I am grateful of still is that MWO got battletech the exposure needed to make HBS make their game which I love. I really need to play that again, I just got sidetracked.

#28 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:07 PM

View Postdante245, on 11 October 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

or they could just update the game then have to a new graphics system...its not like its not do able https://www.pcgamer....s-in-update-10/

It's do-able for wargaming. It most likely isn't for pgi who i suspect, let all their engine developers go once they decided that updating/tweaking their franken engine wasn't a priority at all.

Do keep in mind that their engine is ironically lostech and held together with prayer and duct tape. This is the developer that still can't implement ammo switching for lbx and standard ac. All because they let the coder who did it go and no one else could make sense of the current code.

#29 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:11 PM

View PostWil McCullough, on 11 October 2018 - 11:07 PM, said:

It's do-able for wargaming. It most likely isn't for pgi who i suspect, let all their engine developers go once they decided that updating/tweaking their franken engine wasn't a priority at all.

Do keep in mind that their engine is ironically lostech and held together with prayer and duct tape. This is the developer that still can't implement ammo switching for lbx and standard ac. All because they let the coder who did it go and no one else could make sense of the current code.

Don't forget they can't put in a real heat scale.

Takes months to make simple adjustments to broken weapon attributes.

Design a way to change UI color schemes for colorblind support.

Remove the colorblind support someone who not knowing the code and found it in about a week of casually looking for it.

...............ya ill leave it there as this could go on a long long time.

#30 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:11 PM

I see only three possible avenues available to MWO after MW5 (and it's DLC's) are done and released:

1) Engine update - Keep the game as is, but replace the engine with Unreal Engine 4, use in-house resources generated by MW5, don't charge the players

2) Kickstart engine update - try to crowdfund an engine update.

3) MWO2 - ditch MWO all together, and make a new, better MWO game, using all the knowledge, righting all the wrongs, and potentially bringing in both old and new players - For old players that have many mechs, set tier levels of carry-over, depending on how much money they spent on the original MWO.

- If you spent less than 10$: carry over one dropdeck of mechs into MWO2
- If you spent 10-30$: carry over two dropdecs of mechs into MWO2
- if you spent 30-50$: carry over 3 dropdecks into MWO2
- if you spent more than 50$: carry over 4 dropdecks into MWO2

For either option, carry all the cammos, paints and decals used, but only on the mechs in those dropdecks, (or their UE4 equivalents), so they look and feel the same.

For all the other stuff on your account, you get an amount of MC equivalent to the most expensive MC pack or less, and a special "MWO Veteran" cockpit item..

I'm sure that regardless of how many mechs you have, or how much money you spent on this game, any one player really plays more than 4 dropdecks worth of mechs, or is emotionally attached to more than that.

So you would get your absolute favorite mechs with you, but not all the 200+ mechs in existence. It sounds fair to me..

As an extra added bonus, you would get to re-select your carry over mechs once per dropdeck allotted, in case balance changes make them lame for you..

Edited by Vellron2005, 11 October 2018 - 11:18 PM.

#31 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:25 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 11 October 2018 - 11:11 PM, said:

So you would get your absolute favorite mechs with you, but not all the 200+ mechs in existence. It sounds fair to me..

nope. if they shut down MWO after releasing MWO2, I expect to get all my mechs carried over.

thats non-negotiable. players need to keep the mechs they earned if MWO gets shut down to make way for MWO2.

otherwise they need to keep MWO running at the same time as MWO2, which wouldnt make sense, so just give me all my mechs. anything less than that and Im not going to be happy and then I certainly wont spend money on a PGI game ever again (not that I plan to anyway).

PGI needs to figure out a new way to monetize their game besides charging people twice for the same art assets. Expanding the game to include quads, vehicles, and aerotech would be a good start. Like adding actual new content or something.

Edited by Khobai, 11 October 2018 - 11:34 PM.

#32 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:43 PM

View PostKhobai, on 11 October 2018 - 11:25 PM, said:

nope. if they shut down MWO after releasing MWO2, I expect to get all my mechs carried over.

thats non-negotiable. players need to keep the mechs they earned if MWO gets shut down to make way for MWO2.

otherwise they need to keep MWO running at the same time as MWO2, which wouldnt make sense, so just give me all my mechs. anything less than that and Im not going to be happy and then I certainly wont spend money on a PGI game ever again (not that I plan to anyway).

PGI needs to figure out a new way to monetize their game besides charging people twice for the same art assets. Expanding the game to include quads, vehicles, and aerotech would be a good start. Like adding actual new content or something.

I'll be as graceful as an ax murder -

If pgi shuts down the servers for mwo and doesn't port over player mechs from mwo to mwo2, it's in their right. Unfortunate and in bad faith perhaps, but also true. That's the reality of microtransactions.

#33 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:09 AM

Change developers first before I would open my wallet for this.

#34 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:14 AM

View PostKhobai, on 11 October 2018 - 11:25 PM, said:

You do realize that the Battletech setting is a finite resource, right? There are only so many mechs..

Sure they can add new ones, but most of us play for the ones already in there..

If you buy MW5, you will be paying twice for the same mech models anyway.. so why be so negative?

Also, they are withing their legal right to do this, cose' when you buy a mech, you don't buy the model, you buy a license to play with it.. it's not YOUR mech, its like a subscription..

If MWO servers shut down tomorrow, and 3 years later, somebody else released another MW game, you would have to rebuy all the mechs, and you wouldn't be acting like this, would you?

I mean I understand your position.. but there is no financial sense making a new game and giving away like 90%+ of content, without getting anything in return..

That's why I made the carry-over idea.. it's a compromise..

Positions like yours are what's keeping MWO2, a potentially much MUCH better game, from being made.. You're literally Harmony Gold-ing us.. Posted Image

Edited by Vellron2005, 12 October 2018 - 12:15 AM.

#35 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:30 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 12 October 2018 - 12:14 AM, said:

Positions like yours are what's keeping MWO2, a potentially much MUCH better game, from being made.. You're literally Harmony Gold-ing us.. Posted Image

We're also the people who've spent enough to keep the game going this long, so burning our bridge would be a really dumb move.

#36 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:33 AM

In another thread I argued for the creation of a supporter pack that would run for the 6 months opposite the Tournament Supporter Pack to give similar bonuses to the TSP while generating funds to be used specifically for the 'free to play' portion of the game.

I don't know how much money a supporter pack like that would generate but if the numbers add up I think upgrading the game engine fits the theme of using the money to benefit the whole MWO community.

Edited by Ruccus, 12 October 2018 - 12:35 AM.

#37 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:35 AM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 12 October 2018 - 12:30 AM, said:

We're also the people who've spent enough to keep the game going this long, so burning our bridge would be a really dumb move.

True.. But don't look at it as burning a bridge - if it would provide a better game for all, with many of current MWO's faults righted, why not support that? Think of yourself as a founder, not a bittervet?

View PostRuccus, on 12 October 2018 - 12:33 AM, said:

In another thread I argued for the creation of a supporter pack that would run for the 6 months opposite the Tournament Supporter Pack to give similar bonuses to the TSP while generating funds to be used specifically for the 'free to play' portion of the game.

I don't know how much money a supporter pack like that would generate but if the numbers add up I think upgrading the game engine fits the theme of using the money to benefit the whole MWO community.

That would run under the "kickstart engine change" - not a bad idea..

Edited by Vellron2005, 12 October 2018 - 12:36 AM.

#38 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:41 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 12 October 2018 - 12:35 AM, said:

True.. But don't look at it as burning a bridge - if it would provide a better game for all, with many of current MWO's faults righted, why not support that? Think of yourself as a founder, not a bittervet?

I'd be fine if MWO just closed, it's happened to enough MMORPGs I've played and the odd MOBA. Of course PGI could do what they want if they launched a new product that wasn't technically MWO, but I wouldn't be spending anything if the message was "not enough money from you, give us more please". Call me bitter if you like, I'm just being a (somewhat) sensible consumer.

#39 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:56 AM

Yeah, not to be a negative Nelly, but expecting all your stuff transferred over to a sequel game both ignores economic realities and all precedent. They might give you a discount, they may give you a few little extras to encourage the old guard to switch over, but there is no way they give you everything - there is simply no profit in that. Throwing a lot of development time and money to make a niche game and then giving everything away for free to the core buyers is a one way ticket to insolvency. Yes, I’d love to have a new game with all my old stuff too, but that’s not how it works. If they put out a new game, it’s a new game, and you have to buy new things for it. You don’t get everything in perpetuity just because you once had it in a previous game.

Best you can hope for is perhaps some discounts on things you used to own. And I’m not trying to be mean or salty to anyone, just trying to save you from disappointment - if they want to make money on changing games (which is expensive), they need to sell things, that’s just how it is.

#40 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:07 AM

View PostWil McCullough, on 11 October 2018 - 11:43 PM, said:

I'll be as graceful as an ax murder -

If pgi shuts down the servers for mwo and doesn't port over player mechs from mwo to mwo2, it's in their right. Unfortunate and in bad faith perhaps, but also true. That's the reality of microtransactions.

of course its in their right. its also in my right not to spend money on their games ever again. which is what would happen.

View PostMaddermax, on 12 October 2018 - 12:56 AM, said:

Yeah, not to be a negative Nelly, but expecting all your stuff transferred over to a sequel game both ignores economic realities and all precedent.

no it really doesnt defy expectation or precedent at all. especially when the new game would be using the same art assets you already paid for once. and even moreso if they shut down the old game to make way for the new game and deny you access to your old mechs.

if I paid for something once im not paying for it again. that is a perfectly reasonable expectation.

Edited by Khobai, 12 October 2018 - 01:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users