Countdown To The Champion

62 replies to this topic

#21 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:38 PM

I didn't preorder this thing because I thought it looked stupid, but now I'm starting to think there's something endearing about a walking speed boat with pontoons for arms

#22 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:46 PM

Just what the game needed, a heavy mech with wide arms so that nightstars aren't the only thing shooting trees, terrain and friendlies...

#23 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:53 PM

View PostNightbird, on 12 October 2018 - 11:31 AM, said:

Impossible to shield CT and STs, low mounts, mixed hardpoints... will live or die on quirks.

Correction: Will live or die on the skill and competence of its pilot. Quirks don't actually make or break a mech. they never have. it's always been how comfortable the MechWarrior is in that particular chassis, and the loadout they use.

people seem to forget that while weapon quirks and armor quirks are nice.... ACTUALLY FITTING ARMOR helps more, and Unquirked weapons still actually do damage.

#24 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:58 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 12 October 2018 - 01:46 PM, said:

Just what the game needed, a heavy mech with wide arms so that nightstars aren't the only thing shooting trees, terrain and friendlies...

I've actually never had a problem hitting the enemy in mine. course, I tend to fight at midrange, where most fights actually happen. people tend to forget there's more than just sniping, LRMing and Brawling in Mech Combat.

In fact, a lot of the mechs that get the most unfriendly bashing are actually dedicated and extremely effective mid-range Mechs, like the Quickdraw, Thanatos, and Vindicator, as well as the aforementioned Nightstar. the prob is most pilots are either too gung-ho short range to use them effectively, or they're long-range pansies who don't want to get shot at. at mid range, you have room to maneuver, armor angle, and buck behind cover, not to mention medium range also has some of the best damage-to-weight-to-heat ratio weapons in the game, like the AC/10 or Large Laser.

#25 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:46 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 11 October 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

Posted Image

Looks a bit small for a 60 ton heavy mech!? Posted Image
The cars and lanterns look pretty big in comparison. More like a light or medium mech...

Edited by Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof, 12 October 2018 - 02:48 PM.

#26 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:07 PM

View PostDer BruzZzler von Wiesndoof, on 12 October 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

Looks a bit small for a 60 ton heavy mech!? Posted Image
The cars and lanterns look pretty big in comparison. More like a light or medium mech...

M1a1 are not that big in comparison to a car... this thing could float in water at this size if it weight only 60 tons...

Edited by Damnedtroll, 12 October 2018 - 03:08 PM.

#27 Hiten Bongz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 228 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:44 PM

That thing is going to need some serious armor quirks. And it's sooo wide.

#28 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:41 PM

View PostHiten Bongz, on 12 October 2018 - 03:44 PM, said:

That thing is going to need some serious armor quirks. And it's sooo wide.

From the October patch quirks PDF all Champ variants are getting +12 armor on the CT and +10 armor on the LT/RT.

They also get pretty good agility.

https://static.mwome...cumentation.pdf

#29 Hiten Bongz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 228 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:49 PM

View PostFupDup, on 12 October 2018 - 04:41 PM, said:

From the October patch quirks PDF all Champ variants are getting +12 armor on the CT and +10 armor on the LT/RT.

They also get pretty good agility.

I actually saw that a little while after I posted, but yeah, thanks! I feel +12/+10 is around the minimum extra armor it will need to be viable with that geometry. Sad there is no extra armor for the arms though. IDK. Maybe it won't be all doom and gloom. The agility seems appropriate, not sluggish, but not too agile either.

Still wide tho. Posted Image

Edited by Hiten Bongz, 12 October 2018 - 04:51 PM.

#30 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:55 PM

Quirks look like the Champion might be passable in MWO, let's see the size comparison.

#31 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:39 PM

View PostArkhangel, on 12 October 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

Correction: Will live or die on the skill and competence of its pilot. Quirks don't actually make or break a mech. they never have. it's always been how comfortable the MechWarrior is in that particular chassis, and the loadout they use.

people seem to forget that while weapon quirks and armor quirks are nice.... ACTUALLY FITTING ARMOR helps more, and Unquirked weapons still actually do damage.

If this was true, PGI would never need to balance anything.

#32 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 05:07 AM

I didn't waste my money on them. Anything they can do can already be accomplished in quickdraws, dragons or riflemen.

#33 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 05:42 AM

Quirks here:

Cancelled my preorder

Edit. reason is that it has the mix of hardpoints like the Dragon, but about 1/3 the quirks of the dragon.

Edited by Nightbird, 13 October 2018 - 05:49 AM.

#34 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:29 AM

View PostNightbird, on 13 October 2018 - 05:42 AM, said:

Cancelled my preorder

Edit. reason is that it has the mix of hardpoints like the Dragon, but about 1/3 the quirks of the dragon.

Each variant except the hero has 8 weapon hardpoints versus the Dragon's 6, and each variant of the Dragon keeps half or more of its hardpoints in its arms (requiring you to armour the arms). The Champion also has torso turn speeds faster than a 45 ton mech, which should allow you to get your weapons on target without much trouble (though I suspect the Dragon is probably as agile).

Acceleration and deceleration are also around 45 ton mech numbers, so it should be nimble as well. I'm actually getting eager to take mine out for a spin on Tuesday.

#35 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:35 AM

The Dragon is even more agile, and got better quirks in general, but that's because the hardpoints are terrible. You cannot use any big missile launcher on the Dragon (as the missile HP are in the CT), you cannot use big ballistics (as the hp are in the arm which has too many actuators; with the exception of the hero), and the majority of the firepower is located on one spot - usually the right arm. To make matters worse, this arm is hanging low.

There is a reason the Dragon is a rare sight in game, and that reason is its poor hardpoint layout.

The Champion's hardpoints allow for much better builds, and only the rather insignificant CT hp are relatively low mounted. If there is one thing I am not worried about it's the Champion's offensive potential.

Edited by FLG 01, 13 October 2018 - 07:35 AM.

#36 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 13 October 2018 - 03:02 PM

Scale comparison shots would be nice.

#37 GTKA

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 04:00 PM

View PostNightbird, on 13 October 2018 - 05:42 AM, said:

Quirks here:

Cancelled my preorder

you are missing out man. the laser/ppc convergence is really pin point and this doesnt need much quirks outside of armor. the ballistic and missile convergence is wonky, but shouldnt be that much of an impact.

#38 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 04:43 PM

We can revisit this after it releases :)

#39 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:26 AM

First actual Clanbuster variant in MWO AND I can put "The Word of Blake" in it to boot? All my Battle of Tukayyid fantasies come to life!

#40 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:10 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 11 October 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

Posted Image

Maybe the images are somewhat deceiving, but the scale looks fine. This could be a nice Mech after all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users