Light Mechs - Immortal

14 replies to this topic

#1 Player 0ne

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:20 AM

Anyone else noticing how tough the light mechs are ? Even playing with them, I find it very easy.

#2 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:37 AM

Not really. I find most people just can't seem to aim, and when they do they usually don't think to aim for the legs. A light mech is small, so it has condensed hitboxes. Torso hits against a moving light mech are probably gonna smear across all the torsos and probably one or both arms, reducing the effective damage inflicted. But they only have two legs, and as soon as one is blown out a light mech is dead meat.

People just don't aim for legs on light mechs. If they did, pest control would become a hell of a lot easier.

Posted Image

Edit:

Visual aid added.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 12 October 2018 - 04:47 AM.

#3 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:46 AM

Just to echo what Pariah said, if you do manage to aim and take out a leg, the pilot of said light will call you a hacker.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:50 PM

They're far from it, especially when you play one. I can attest to that, they feel like paper.

But why are you in the sub-threads for Battletech lore discussions?

#5 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:21 AM

Sometimes hit registration is messed up. But I've piloted lights and they die if they stop or move in a straight line at enemies.

#6 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:47 AM

If you make predictable movements and try to tank. You're insta-dead. Is also rolling the dice. I've been punishing people in everyone's favorite pirahna. Sometimes I feel great. Juking. Diving. Zipping. Securing kills on open Mechs. Sometimes you get breathed on and match is over. High risk. High reward. That being said. It depends?

#7 Chiasson Brinker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ace
  • The Ace
  • 260 posts
  • LocationWayside V

Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:02 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 12 October 2018 - 04:37 AM, said:

Not really. I find most people just can't seem to aim, and when they do they usually don't think to aim for the legs. A light mech is small, so it has condensed hitboxes. Torso hits against a moving light mech are probably gonna smear across all the torsos and probably one or both arms, reducing the effective damage inflicted. But they only have two legs, and as soon as one is blown out a light mech is dead meat.

People just don't aim for legs on light mechs. If they did, pest control would become a hell of a lot easier.

Posted Image

Edit:

Visual aid added.

No one has explained it that way before about the hitboxes. Thank you for that, it's extremely helpful!

#8 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:20 PM

View PostPlayer 0ne, on 12 October 2018 - 04:20 AM, said:

Anyone else noticing how tough the light mechs are ? Even playing with them, I find it very easy.

Your statement about finding them easy to play doesn't seem to line up to the fact last month in lights, you lose more than you win, you die more than you kill, and your average match score is unremarkable.

Some lights are easier to play than others (those that actually pack enough firepower to be a threat), but even still, as a whole, they are comparably weaker than every other weight class. If lights were so easy to play, they wouldn't be the least played weight class in all of MWO.

Edited by Vxheous, 20 November 2018 - 04:25 PM.

#9 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:36 PM

You're right, lights are the most OP weight class in MWO.

(gotta fill the light queue somehow)

#10 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:39 PM

Light mechs are immortal, right up until the point where they disintegrate into insubstantial dust, returning to the dirt from which their base components were mined.

#11 Snakesh1t

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 11:40 PM

My Firefly took a helluva beating on Sunday, and still lived, till he lost a leg and fell....but that was TT....

#12 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 01:49 AM

View PostNightbird, on 20 November 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

You're right, lights are the most OP weight class in MWO.

(gotta fill the light queue somehow)

I loved the spotting event yesterday, lights everywhere, and a lot of interesting games were had. I had a 6 light game on Terra Therma that was just an insane lights brawl, me in my locust, 6 lights on each side in constant motion, the twitchiest of twitch gameplay. Just amazing fun.

We need more lights, I’m sick of just *maybe* two in most games, lights keep games fluid.

#13 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:03 PM

Wonky hit boxes.
Moving at full speed, I have noticed that I'll hit a light by aiming behind the mech. Considering you are suppose to aim for where a fast mech is going to be vs where it was, you start piecing together why some lights are harder to hit with projectiles than they should be.

#14 Alexander of Macedon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:07 AM

If lights were OP and easy to play, they'd occupy more than 10% of the population.

I drop in my lights half because it gets you much shorter queue times, as the split is ~35% assault, ~30% heavy, ~25% medium, ~10% light.

#15 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:53 AM

PGI's game is balanced around bad hit reg

if lights didnt have wonky hitboxes theyd be completely unplayable

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users