By What Logic Pgi Does A Tie Cost You Elo ?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 03:36 AM

If my opponent chooses to hide all match and avoids combat, even when he knows exactly where I am... why am I penalized in this fashion ?

#2 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 15 October 2018 - 03:54 PM

Because fast and light mechs can stall until the match ends. So if you're a light mech and you're losing a difficult match, you could just stall until the timer runs out, preserve your Elo, and waste your opponent's time and fun. Losing Elo on a tie helps to discourage this. Though knowing that you'll lose more than 10 on a loss, it's still sometimes advantageous to force a tie.

#3 Extra Guac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:26 PM

If there was no ELO penalty for ties, then people could just hide all the time whenever they were trailing in the match, or even if they just didn't like the matchup.

Due to the nature of the game there really aren't any legitimate ties. It can only happen when 1 player is hiding. It's just too bad they can't identify which player it was and only give them the ELO hit.

#4 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:36 PM

neither player sealed the deal, both fail, both lose =D

#5 Dregian Bloodwrath

• PipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 01:16 AM

the elo is based on stats win/loss in regards to other players if u have 10w/5l and i have 10w/5l .. u gain a place going to 11/5 and i get a tie leading to 10/5/1 u over take me on the leader board meaning i rank down therefor a loss on my elo score

Edited by Dregian Bloodwrath, 31 October 2018 - 01:16 AM.

#6 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:00 AM

The current system is ripe for abuse. This season I have had one legitimate tie in which both players ran out of weapons/ammo, 1 incident of server failure...and 4 incidents where the other player was incredibly low ranked (under 1500) and maliciously hid to ruin my Elo.

One guy was borderline, and had simply chosen the wrong map for his brawler and literally told me that he would lose anyhow...so f*** me

In another incident a female player was in a light and had legged my assault on factory but was down to 25% and ran away until time ran out.

In another incident, I was competing for #1 in division 6, then the servers went down and everyone was disconnected...I lost 30 points in a tie due to a technical issue.

At the very least, the Elo penalty should be a constant, like 10 points, to eliminate the temptation to abuse the leaderboard.

Edited by Surn, 31 October 2018 - 08:08 AM.

#7 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:10 AM

Also,

In solaris the tactic of taking a short range mech and hiding on Factory, Caves or Colosseum is completely based on the TIE = LOSS.

Seriously, this is getting really annoying. Please fix this Elo NIGHTMARE of a system!

#8 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:56 AM

A ERML nova legged my brawl KGC in factories but couldnt finish me as he tried to get an angle on me while I deadleg shielded. I shouldn't be penalized by losing 31 ELO. Ties are situational to the point that making one lose ELO may be unjustified.

#9 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:01 AM

On one hand ties prevent people (especially in div 2 or 3) from gaining (not losing elo is a gain of sorts) from the following salt-inducing tactic: 1. bringing the fastest mech they can and select certain maps with lots of cover from sight. 2. Try to fight at first 3. If they start to fear losing, they can just spend the rest of the match running away...using seismic to avoid the slower mech for the time limit.

On the other hand ties can also be abused. What’s to stop a top 5 guy in a division from bringing an alt account....Lose the first 20 matches to get his elo as low as possible and then going to tie up another top 5 player? Nothing really.... A tie wouldn’t matter to the guy on his alt, but could really move the other player down the leaderboard. Sure, he could fight and win to tank the other guys elo ...but that involves some risk, when on some maps you can force a tie with ease if you have the right build. An even if it isn’t a guy doing this to help his main account, by doing this on an alt....there are troll-players out there that might get a laugh just tanking elo’s

So I really hate that ties cost elo....but I acknowledge there are problems either way PGI goes with this.

Edited by Marquis De Lafayette, 31 October 2018 - 11:03 AM.

#10 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:07 PM

As I stated above, there is a simple fix:

Tie should be a Constant -10 Elo to both players.

That is

a reasonable amount and prevents abuse by troll accounts that cost ranked players -30 Elo.

Edited by Surn, 31 October 2018 - 07:10 PM.

#11 Endo Clad Kiwi

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:59 AM

It's interesting that complaints about a tie game, which can genuinely happen in this mode, are mostly seen as a deliberate and malicious action. Although there are players that seem to be doing just that I don't think it's the majority in my experience.
The fact that players can check to see what mechs are available in certain divisions, then complain afterwards because they didn't bring a fast enough mech or one with arm mounts to chase down or shoot a more mobile mech should not be the point.
Why do players keep confusing lack of their mech build/chassis choices with how they feel hard done by when they lose?
Got an assault, might have to fight pirahna, take arm mounts. Maybe pick something with a bit more speed than 40-50kph so you can move around the map and cut them off to get shots in.
I had that problem in div 2, switched to an Orion IIC. Light tried to run up on my ankles and eats my arm mount srms. Also means I've got enough mobility to do hit and run on assaults, or enough speed to run around the map and cut off kite mechs trying to run away and hide for a draw.
Rather than boo-hoo I took the most armor/weapons I could with the smallest engine and got beaten by a mobile player whilst trying to play mech-turret-online.
The amount of whinning going on that doesn't touch on issues about this game mode is quite distracting really.
The fact there is an element of the unknown as to what you might actually face now in various divisions is what makes this mode more interesting and a challenge as a pilot and in the mech lab.

Edited by Endo Clad Kiwi, 08 November 2018 - 06:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users