How Is The Champion?

50 replies to this topic

#1 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:05 AM

None of the people I play with have it. How is this mech? Strong? Weak? Builds that work?

#2 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:36 AM

Rather strong. Not Deathstrike-strong, but not weak at all. It packs a punch, is highly mobile and not as vulnerable as I feared (though it still cannot not be called durable).

Convergence is a minor issue for me as I don't use the arm mounted weapons, and the hardpoints are high placed. You can basically shoot what you see, except when using the CT mounts.

The Champion is good, but don't expect miracles.

#3 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:48 AM

I'm liking it so far. I got off to a good start with my very first match in an unskilled mech uncorking a 5 kills and 620 damage. I'm 10 wins, 6 losses so far and averaging just over 350 damage per match which is about standard for me in a heavy mech, but good considering the mechs aren't skilled up yet.

I thought it was funny when in the last match I played before logging off this morning I got nailed by an enemy in the arm, backed up, and noticed a large arm laying on the snow. 'Yep, that's mine' I thought to myself. They are rather large pontoons but if used right can help mitigate damage to important parts of the mech.

Edit: with regards to builds, you can't go wrong with an AC20 and medium lasers. Heavy Gauss and medium lasers works too. For the CHP-2N I'm running an MRM40, 4 medium lasers, and 3 HMGs, and have tried triple AC2s which worked okay but with the missile quirk you kind of want to use missiles as your main damage.

Edited by Ruccus, 17 October 2018 - 08:54 AM.

#4 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:17 AM

Yesterday, I started playing with mine equipped with 1X RAC 5 and 3X Med ER Lasers. I was surprised I got a kill on my first time out. But also got my *** handed to me too in several matches. Your mileage will vary and it's just a matter of learning how to play this mech.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:18 AM

I suppose one should just play it like a 5 tons heavier Bushie, but man do those arms give you away at corners.

#6 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 October 2018 - 12:24 PM

I like it. It’s very mobile and carry’s a great compliment of weapons @60 tons

#7 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:12 PM

So far i am totally not regretting the champion. Its a flawless mech. Correct scale, hitboxes and quirks. Not underpowered nor overpowered.

Speed is essential. Most of them have a LFE 280 and one has a LFE 300.
So far =
1n= UAC20 + 4 ML + LFE 300. 3.5t ammo and remaining heatsinks
2n= UAC 5 + MRM 30 + LFE 280 + 2 ML
3n= UAC 10+ 6 ML + LFE 280. 3 ton of ammo rest heatsinks
1n2= 1 AC20 1 LL 3 ml LFE 280
1nb= 1 Gauss rifle, 1 LL, 2 Light PPC's, LFE 280
Invictus= 2 ML, 4 x S SRM6. 4 Ton of ammo,5 JJ's and LFE 280

The legs are small enough to allow a bit of shaving, so does the head.

Do NOT use an XL engine.

Speed and agility is the biggest advantage. You can pick your fight and bring enough firepower to the table.

I say its worth it. Will be playing this mech alone for the rest of the week for sure.

#8 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:15 PM

idk, that 360 potential (350 realistically) is pretty tempting to play around with an xl

#9 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:16 PM

However good it is. Those arms look derpy as hell, especially at an angle or the side. lol.

#10 Bunny Wigglesworth

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:17 PM

I kind of wish the missile quirks lined up a bit better with the versions that have more missile hardpoints. On the other hand, you can splash damage from the front similar to the way you can in a crab or bushmaster. The cockpit seems like it is a glaring target, but if you slap some decals over it (like the mech abs decal), you can reduce the visibility some. I already do this on Assassins, so it is a quick fix. The side torso hardpoints are nice for peeking, but on some, you need to add a machinegun or two first if you want the ones closest to the cockpit to have the larger ballistic weapon in them.

#11 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:24 PM

They tend to give bigger quirks to the lowest quantity hard points. I guess to encourage mix builds? Also to avoid it becoming OP. The old quirks on the energy boat version of the Wovlerine are a good example of that. There's a funny video on youtube by Fantastic Tuesday about it.

#12 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:59 PM

Its like an uparmored Bushwacker that has a little extra pudge. For the 3N I really like an LB-10 with 6 medium lasers and a missile (been testing with a SRM6a and a MRM10, the SRM is much better if you're in a brawl and the MRM is better if you're in a skirmish), With the 2N, I just run a big MRM (30 or 40) with some MGs and small lasers as a close up defense. Really fun but definitely not meta. With the 1N, I usualy run it pretty similar to the Bushwacker, a UAC/10 with 2 SRMs (SRM6 or SRM4a, haven't ruled out which is better yet) and 4 medium lasers. One of the few viable mechs that can run all three types of weapons in a single build "efficiently". 2 UAC/5s and some pulse lasers also work if you're in that kind of mood. The Invictus is the Invictus and the 'best' build you're getting from it is 4 SRM6a and 2 of whatever laser you want up to MPLs. I don't have the reinforcement pack so I can't tell how those are.

View PostMechaBattler, on 17 October 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

However good it is. Those arms look derpy as hell, especially at an angle or the side. lol.

And they are very nice shields when skirmishing.

Edited by Athom83, 17 October 2018 - 04:00 PM.

#13 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:28 PM

In a nutshell; Well balanced.

It's got a good punch but try to avoid trades. Really got to keep the thing moving if you want to survive. Flank and ambush.

What I'm running:
1N - 2LBX5, 4ML, 2RL10
2N - 4MPL, 3LMG, MRM30
3N - LBX20, 4ML, RL10

#14 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:21 PM

I like it. Sorta like a bushie but doesn't look insane

#15 dante245

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 577 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:44 PM

actually, better then i thought it was going to be. even though it has only so so durability quirks, its got good torso hit boxes and great shield arms....and makes it very good at spreading damage "even though it looks like a A10 Warthog with legs" lol.

#16 Chiasson Brinker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ace
  • The Ace
  • 260 posts
  • LocationWayside V

Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:48 PM

While I don't have an experience behind the stick with the Champion, my observations from day one is that people are underestimating how wide their mech is. I saw a lot of weapons fire into buildings and terrain. Other than that, it seems to move well enough even if it seems a bit of a glass cannon.

#17 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:51 PM

Unph4zed has been wrecking face using the HGauss + 5MedLas build I suggested to him for the CHP-1N2. A 50-point alpha with phenomenal agility, 74 kph run-speed, and armor quirks on OK hitboxes.

#18 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:49 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 17 October 2018 - 03:15 PM, said:

idk, that 360 potential (350 realistically) is pretty tempting to play around with an xl

You can squeeze a 340LFE (or even a 350LFE if you don't want extra heatsinks) into a 3N with an MRM40 and 4 medium lasers. It looks to be a nice, quick poking deadside build, though you'll have heat issues when losing the right torso.

I'm trying to get my 1N into a serviceable dual LB10X build but it's going to require LBX spread, magazine capacity, and speed tweak skill nodes to (maybe) work. It's too slow when fitting medium lasers or too weak fitting small lasers and doesn't have enough ammo, so I'm holding off on it for now.

#19 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:06 PM

View PostRuccus, on 17 October 2018 - 08:49 PM, said:

You can squeeze a 340LFE (or even a 350LFE if you don't want extra heatsinks) into a 3N with an MRM40 and 4 medium lasers. It looks to be a nice, quick poking deadside build, though you'll have heat issues when losing the right torso.

I'm trying to get my 1N into a serviceable dual LB10X build but it's going to require LBX spread, magazine capacity, and speed tweak skill nodes to (maybe) work. It's too slow when fitting medium lasers or too weak fitting small lasers and doesn't have enough ammo, so I'm holding off on it for now.
took my grasshoppers 340 engine and stuck it to the 2N Chassis with mrm 40, 3t ammo and 4ml

Hot. But aloooottt of fun. Guess im to obsessed with sticking a gaint cannon on my mech

#20 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:51 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 17 October 2018 - 04:28 PM, said:

In a nutshell; Well balanced.

It's got a good punch but try to avoid trades. Really got to keep the thing moving if you want to survive. Flank and ambush.

What I'm running:
1N - 2LBX5, 4ML, 2RL10
2N - 4MPL, 3LMG, MRM30
3N - LBX20, 4ML, RL10

I would recommend you to swap LBX5s with regular AC5s. LBX5s are just not worth its cost.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users