#21 Inatu Elimor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 312 posts
  • Location1.45 meters below sealevel

Posted 20 October 2018 - 09:48 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 20 October 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

Raven was never iconic. Why would you expect a Liao specific support mech that is assigned on the regimental level to be present in every quick match game?

What you really want is faction specific mechs favored through bonuses inside a working and viable faction warfare mode.

The raven 3L certainly was.

#22 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 09:52 AM

View PostGristle Missile, on 20 October 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

I would say the Urbie is the one mech that became iconic through MWO

The Urbanmech was added to MWO because it was a huge fan favorite. It didn't become a fan favorite because it was in MWO.

View PostInatu Elimor, on 20 October 2018 - 09:48 AM, said:

The raven 3L certainly was.

Not really. The Raven is a faction mech, for sure, but it's not really a franchise wide mech.

Edited by Bombast, 20 October 2018 - 09:53 AM.

#23 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:09 AM

The Awesome is supposed to be a heavily armored juggernaut that pushes fortified positions with its devastating PPCs

in this game is a fragile box of trash with mediocre weapons

The atlas is supposed to be king of the battlefield, in this game its a mediocre meat shield

buy more clan mechs

Edited by LordBraxton, 20 October 2018 - 10:09 AM.

#24 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:10 AM

Being a minor background image on MechCommander Gold does not make something iconic.

#25 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 20 October 2018 - 11:21 AM

My Raven 3L with 2x medium lasers and 1 large laser actually does quite well in FP. It's a little underrated imo, perhaps forgotten among the barrage of new releases.

#26 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 20 October 2018 - 12:00 PM

View PostInatu Elimor, on 20 October 2018 - 07:07 AM, said:

But then you are dependent on lrm carriers. I must confess I only play QP where coms are not always ideal.
And how about the Huggin, not mentioning the 2x and 4x.

Don't mention the Huginn, this poor repeatedly PGI abused bird :(

#27 Alan Hicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:41 PM

This is the PGI version of Mechwarrrior, they don't care about icons, they care about selling. The moment something good goes slightly old, or over performs, time to nerf it. A lot of mechs were the target of their annoying stats revisions and now are nearly useless garbage or really perform below their expected efficiency.

It's just a commercial strategy.

Had to stop using Black Knights, Kodiaks, Timberwolves and others we all know went down through the history of MWO.

They just care for whales to be on the look out for the next thing, they have shown they care little for the lore.

#28 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:53 PM

View PostAlan Hicks, on 20 October 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

they have shown they care little for the lore.

Yet they insist on adhering to the most infuriating TT rules...

#29 A Really Old Clan Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 04:08 PM

Speaking of mechs to improve.

Yen- Lo - Wang - a maligned mech that I enjoy playing for both the lore side of the mech but also the challenge of running a mech that everyone says is yesterdays hero.

I upped the engine so it now runs at 94kph, 1 mighty ac-20 and 2 medium pulse. Its a simple build that does ok most matches.

If it just had 2 more laser hard points it would be back as a top notch mech.

#30 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 05:57 PM

View PostInatu Elimor, on 20 October 2018 - 07:07 AM, said:

But then you are dependent on lrm carriers. I must confess I only play QP where coms are not always ideal.
And how about the Huggin, not mentioning the 2x and 4x.

Oh no, a mech that's reliant on team play in a team game?!

Heavens no!

#31 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 06:05 PM

On a completely different note... My Highlander's been crushing metas for years now, at the top of its game, at the bottom of its game, buffed, nerfed, nerfed, nerfed, nerfed, buffed, etc...

Timber Wolf, so its mobility took it off the meta list. Why did that matter again? The meta has always been laser vomit; why do you need to have fast turning for that?

And ....was the Raven ever meta after HSR's implementation?

#32 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 21 October 2018 - 06:38 PM

Jenners. any other 35 ton mech.

#33 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:46 AM

Highlander with LRMs is amazing, works well with LRM60...

Raven I don't own..

Timberwolf.. I guess it fell out of favor because other LRM mechs became more popular, but it's still very good for LRMing.. LRM40-LRM60 with some backup lasers is great on it..

Also good as an ATM boat..

#34 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:51 AM

View PostKoniving, on 21 October 2018 - 06:05 PM, said:

Timber Wolf, so its mobility took it off the meta list. Why did that matter again? The meta has always been laser vomit; why do you need to have fast turning for that?

Mounts are not as nice as many other laser vom chassis, and the Timber Wolf can't twist off damage the way it used to due to mobility. I find the Ebon Jag suffers the same issues as well, I would much rather play a Hellbringer, or Linebacker even.

Edited by Vxheous, 22 October 2018 - 12:52 AM.

#35 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:55 AM

View PostVxheous, on 22 October 2018 - 12:51 AM, said:

Mounts are not as nice as many other laser vom chassis, and the Timber Wolf can't twist off damage the way it used to due to mobility. I find the Ebon Jag suffers the same issues as well, I would much rather play a Hellbringer, or Linebacker even.

When did it need to twist? You only need to turn about 35 degrees in either direction to spread damage. Less if they're aiming along your top, the only time to worry is if they're going straight for the nose/underbelly. Those others need to twist up to 90 degrees to pull off the same spread of damage.

I know its not quite a stalker (if they hit the CT, just twist 9 degrees), but it certainly isn't like most mechs that can't survive without twisting. In my vids I don't even bother twisting with the Timber Wolf, there wasn't any need to. In fact if they focus on the nose cone, tilt the mech down, it then hits the cockpit instead. You can actually use the cockpit (briefly) to protect the CT in an emergency. How many mechs can pull that off?

....Aside from the Locust -- which has a better chance of surviving if you get hit in the cockpit than the side torso.

(Okay to be fair those others need to twist a minimum of 70 degrees; almost twice as far as the Timber Wolf. Linebacker even after twisting 90 degrees can still be hit CT via the nose.)
Posted Image

And anybody with a brain isn't going for the torso; they're going for the pelvis.

In truth, no amount of torso twisting is gonna save a player from enemy fire if they have any idea of what they're doing.
Posted Image

Aim for the nuts, go for the kill.

At the very least, Timber Wolf's arms can protect the groin. Most mechs can't even pull that off.

#36 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:00 AM

i find the preceding exchange humorous

#37 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:06 AM

View PostBombast, on 20 October 2018 - 09:52 AM, said:

The Urbanmech was added to MWO because it was a huge fan favorite. It didn't become a fan favorite because it was in MWO.

You could say that about every mech added to MWO - people liked it so they added it.
However in terms of MWO - it has become the mascot, where as the Atlas is the mascot for Battletech in general.

It is kind of a joke in the TT only useful for camping certain areas - not a fan favorite for performance; Its so slow. It was a joke in MWO too when it first came out...but now its one of the strongest light mechs and you see it a lot

Edited by Gristle Missile, 22 October 2018 - 10:09 AM.

#38 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:10 AM

View PostGristle Missile, on 22 October 2018 - 10:06 AM, said:

You could say that about every mech added to MWO - people liked it so they added it.
However in terms of MWO - it has become the mascot, where as the Atlas is the mascot for Battletech in general.

It is kind of a joke in the TT - not a fan favorite for performance. Its so slow and it was a joke in MWO when it first came out...but now its one of the strongest light hi

None of which has anything to do with anything. It's not a MWO mascot, it's a meme mech. It was a meme mech before it was in MWO, and we it will be a meme mech afterwards.

MWO didn't make it more recognizable, it didn't make it more iconic, and it hasn't improved it's overall popularity. It's done nothing but make it more viable, which again, has nothing to do with anything this thread is about, nor the.claims being made about MWO and the Urbie.

#39 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:03 PM

View PostBombast, on 22 October 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

None of which has anything to do with anything. It's not a MWO mascot, it's a meme mech. It was a meme mech before it was in MWO, and we it will be a meme mech afterwards.

MWO didn't make it more recognizable, it didn't make it more iconic, and it hasn't improved it's overall popularity. It's done nothing but make it more viable, which again, has nothing to do with anything this thread is about, nor the.claims being made about MWO and the Urbie.

just gonna have to disagree here
Haven't seen disproportionally more memes for an Urbie than I have for, say, the Atlas
Memes and popular things can overlap, of course. And there is no rule saying your icon can't be a meme.

Sure in the TT it was a meme mech because it had poor performance. So it wasn't really iconic to that game....but MWO DID make it more recognizable - quite literally. I would say there are more Mechwarrior players than TT players (including those who have never played the TT) and MWO is the first Mechwarrior game you can to play an Urbie (to my knowledge). And the recent loyalty gift was an Urbie as well.

Being viable certainly improved popularity. Not sure why you say it wouldn't. Players will always use what they think is the strongest or "most OP" and use weaker mechs less. Just compare the number of urbies used today vs TT Urbies that didn't see a lot of play. Viability = Popularity. Popularity = Recognizability. Recognizability = Status. If you were to run a poll as to what mech is the most recognizable - I am sure Urbie and Atlas would be at the top. If you did that for TT could you say the same?

Its possible we have a different definition of what makes something Iconic. Only unique mechs like the sunspider can ever become an icon or something? Or a mech that nobody asked for?

I doubt I will change your mind, though, so I will just leave it at that

Edited by Gristle Missile, 22 October 2018 - 12:10 PM.

#40 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:55 PM

View PostGristle Missile, on 22 October 2018 - 12:03 PM, said:

I doubt I will change your mind, though, so I will just leave it at that

You wont, because you're absolutely wrong. The only reason the Urbanmech got into this game was through fan effort because it was popular. That along blows any argument that MWO made the Urbanmech popular or iconic out of the water.

Your arguments basically boil down to 'Well it wasn't iconic or popular as far as I knew before MWO.' Well, I'm afraid it was popular before MWO no matter what your personal experience was, and it's still not iconic of anything afterwards. I don't know what else to tell you.

View PostGristle Missile, on 22 October 2018 - 12:03 PM, said:

If you were to run a poll as to what mech is the most recognizable - I am sure Urbie and Atlas would be at the top. If you did that for TT could you say the same?

That would be because the Urbanmech has a unique silhouette. Which it did in TT as well. So yes, it is as recognizable as the Atlas, which also has a (Fairly) unique silhouette.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users