Move Piranha To Div 5 Please

20 replies to this topic

Poll: Move Piranha to Div 5 (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Move Piranha to Div 5

1. Yes (9 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. No (12 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Other (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:06 AM

Either give us knockdown Assault to Light, or move piranha to Div 5. Just get it the **** out of D2.

Credit to Eisenhorne for the idea:

View PostEisenhorne, on 19 October 2018 - 07:38 AM, said:

You could put Piranhas in Div 5. The medium mechs that populate that Div I think would be a fair match for them. Griffins, Crabs, Quickdraws, Dragons, all would be able to fight them on a more equal basis. Having them up with the assaults makes it an annoying game of Rock Paper Scissors.

Edited by Dionnsai, 20 October 2018 - 10:36 AM.

#2 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 11:36 AM

I'll also note that there were far less piranhas last season due to the presence of a king crab with 6 arm mounted ballistics....go figure...

#3 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 October 2018 - 12:04 PM

I agree.

#4 Extra Guac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 03:57 PM

A king crab with 4 arm mounted ballistics would still dispatch a piranha pretty quickly

#5 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 06:59 PM

Not always a win for the PIR, depends on the opposing mech. Luck of the draw.

#6 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 October 2018 - 07:59 PM

View Postarcana75, on 20 October 2018 - 06:59 PM, said:

Not always a win for the PIR, depends on the opposing mech. Luck of the draw.

True, which I think is a problem. It creates a very rock paper scissors environment, which is annoying. Skill isn't the deciding factor, its just luck.

#7 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:48 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 20 October 2018 - 07:59 PM, said:

True, which I think is a problem. It creates a very rock paper scissors environment, which is annoying. Skill isn't the deciding factor, its just luck.

This is an underlying problem with the Piranha itself. It's at such an extreme end of the sliding scale of firepower/survival that almost everything about it is a matter of luck and mechanical counters.

#8 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 11:05 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 20 October 2018 - 07:59 PM, said:

Saying that it's rock paper scissors suggests only 3 possibilities which isn't the case. There are many mechs in the division. If I picked an SRM Huntsman and faced off with an SRM Fafnir chances are I need to pilot carefully and not make a single positioning mistake or get wrecked by the 100 ton alpha. Should the Huntsman be moved too? Luck of the draw.

The PIR does badly against heavies and some assaults in the division. If it encountered any heavy or assault with LB arm weapons it's over: back against the wall and wait for the splat.

#9 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 October 2018 - 11:25 PM

View Postarcana75, on 20 October 2018 - 11:05 PM, said:

Saying that it's rock paper scissors suggests only 3 possibilities which isn't the case. There are many mechs in the division. If I picked an SRM Huntsman and faced off with an SRM Fafnir chances are I need to pilot carefully and not make a single positioning mistake or get wrecked by the 100 ton alpha. Should the Huntsman be moved too? Luck of the draw.

The PIR does badly against heavies and some assaults in the division. If it encountered any heavy or assault with LB arm weapons it's over: back against the wall and wait for the splat.

There are many mechs, but only really 3 "classes" in there... big assaults like the cyclops or atlas, heavies and mediums that those assaults kill, and piranhas that those mediums kill. The piranhas in turn kill the assaults... thus making it rock paper scissors.

#10 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:12 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 20 October 2018 - 11:25 PM, said:

There are many mechs, but only really 3 "classes" in there... big assaults like the cyclops or atlas, heavies and mediums that those assaults kill, and piranhas that those mediums kill. The piranhas in turn kill the assaults... thus making it rock paper scissors.

So your proposal would make it Rock-Scissors?

Can I have Rock?

I mean, no one likes a crotch hugger, but it’s the only thing that stops you from just choosing heaviest mech every time. Or would this also mean all the mediums got moved to another DIV as well?

#11 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 06:18 AM

I think the problem we have is that there are mechs in this division that simply "can't" fight the leg hugger. In addition, its a purely 0 skill tactic, you take a 20 ton mech, run it up against the leg of the 90 tonner and hump away, No finesse in that.

No one would have a problem if you could say STEP ON or KICK the 20 ton mech...but you can't.

Please note, we're also not talking about the squirrel who runs around skillfully and gets your back, your side torsos, etc....we are only talking about the leg hugger, which anyone can logically see is broken.

Edited by Dionnsai, 21 October 2018 - 06:20 AM.

#12 Alexandros

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 153 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:20 AM

I think people see a problem when they finally meet it. We were screaming to get the piranhas out of div 2 since first day of s1 and people were cool and relaxed mocking players mentioning that, to be unskilled. I will vote a big no cause I adapted to the situation and I one shot them with my ac 20 Atlas. Let them be the fear of people entering the accursed division 2 . *ebil laugh*

Extra: If you want collision back then add leg destruction also. Not just limping :D

Edited by Alexandros, 21 October 2018 - 09:22 AM.

#13 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:16 AM

View PostAlexandros, on 21 October 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

I think people see a problem when they finally meet it. We were screaming to get the piranhas out of div 2 since first day of s1 and people were cool and relaxed mocking players mentioning that, to be unskilled. I will vote a big no cause I adapted to the situation and I one shot them with my ac 20 Atlas. Let them be the fear of people entering the accursed division 2 . *ebil laugh*

Extra: If you want collision back then add leg destruction also. Not just limping Posted Image

Truth is, if the piranha stays, i'm ditching the cyclops and buying a King Crab most likely...shame to be forced to do that...

#14 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 01:19 PM

I like the idea. The mechs in all the divs should all have roughly the same speed, armor, and firepower. Having lights and assaults in the same div can be janky.

#15 Alexandros

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 153 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 21 October 2018 - 02:32 PM

View PostDionnsai, on 21 October 2018 - 06:18 AM, said:

I think the problem we have is that there are mechs in this division that simply "can't" fight the leg hugger. In addition, its a purely 0 skill tactic, you take a 20 ton mech, run it up against the leg of the 90 tonner and hump away, No finesse in that.

No one would have a problem if you could say STEP ON or KICK the 20 ton mech...but you can't.

Please note, we're also not talking about the squirrel who runs around skillfully and gets your back, your side torsos, etc....we are only talking about the leg hugger, which anyone can logically see is broken.

Same "no skill" applies to the turret crab that plagued the division 3 for 2 seasons but I haven't seen anyone from the crab players complaining. And back then you all were claiming hey there is a counter for that you can kill crabs easily!. I will say the same you can counter the piranha with ssrms . Would you risk carrying non pin point missiles for the sake of a chance to meet a troll piranha?

#16 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 21 October 2018 - 03:05 PM

View PostAlexandros, on 21 October 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

Same "no skill" applies to the turret crab that plagued the division 3 for 2 seasons but I haven't seen anyone from the crab players complaining. And back then you all were claiming hey there is a counter for that you can kill crabs easily!. I will say the same you can counter the piranha with ssrms . Would you risk carrying non pin point missiles for the sake of a chance to meet a troll piranha?

The Crabs were a problem, and they were moved to Div 2, where there are plenty of counters for them. The same logic applies to a Piranha. It's a problem, and should be moved.

#17 Alexandros

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 153 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 21 October 2018 - 03:18 PM

I ll repeat myself once more: 4 Divisions according to class +1 mixed (with small achievement lock from previous). MAKE THE SOLARIS 8 mechs FREE FOR ALL MODE.Remove scoreboard and add rewards according to performance (Biggest reward to survivor and scale-reward the rest depending when they died. PEOPLE WILL HAVE A MOTIVATION TO TRY THEIR LUCK IN THIS MASHUP of steelsmashing by forming secret temporary alliances and doing tricks to survive. That is Solaris.

Edited by Alexandros, 21 October 2018 - 03:20 PM.

#18 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:36 AM

I remember a match I had in my Cyclops against a Piranha a season or two ago... he almost had me, but I figured he was going to try to get at my back and turned around just as he was crossing the corner. BOOM, one dead piranha.

Let piranhas stay where they are, it's pretty funny.

#19 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:21 PM

Given a PIR is literally 1-shottable by a lot of mechs in the Division it is in... I dunno if it's a problem.

I've had no issue but then I have arm weapons and don't shoehorn myself into torso only for example.

#20 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:15 PM

View PostHorseman, on 22 October 2018 - 12:36 AM, said:

I remember a match I had in my Cyclops against a Piranha a season or two ago... he almost had me, but I figured he was going to try to get at my back and turned around just as he was crossing the corner. BOOM, one dead piranha.

Let piranhas stay where they are, it's pretty funny.

I took my PIR-1 for a few matches, 2 to be exact. First match I encountered a Founder's Atlas. He tried his best to back up against the wall but I managed to back-CT him for the win. 2nd match was against a Marauder with arm cannons. He stayed back to the wall at the starting area, and waited for me. I could not get to his back, and he could hit me with his arm weapons. It was a quick and painful death. For me.

So I agree, let PIRs stay where they are.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users