The Buff Lrm/streaks Need

8 replies to this topic

#1 Warboss_Jon

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 03:35 PM

Tag should allow you to hold missile lock on a target without needing to track them. This would allow mechs carrying auto aim weapons to easily engage more than 1 mech at a time.

This is great especially for tanking reasons because you can tank "attention" (or draw aggro) very effectively. This is an effective strategy for a hard to reach LRM boat sitting in the backline, or an assault trying to push through snipers (can shoot back while remaining twisted.)

I believe this is the right direction for auto aim because improving damage obviously isn't.

An example for how I think it should work is simple: You track your target to engage missile lock (same as usual) with your tag active, and once missile lock is achieved you must continue holding down the tag button and maintain target info to maintain the missile lock.

I believe this is balanced because you give up target information on subsequent targets, an energy slot for tag, and points on the skill tree for relative skills like target retention.

Edited by Warboss_Jon, 21 October 2018 - 03:43 PM.

#2 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 October 2018 - 06:36 PM

In order to maintain a TAG on your target, you're already tracking them more precisely than you would be were you simply using someone else's targeting information, so I fail to understand how this is a buff for LRM play, requiring the use of a TAG laser to maintain your target lock. You'd have to stare even more intently at the target than you already do...

#3 Warboss_Jon

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:48 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 21 October 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

In order to maintain a TAG on your target, you're already tracking them more precisely than you would be were you simply using someone else's targeting information, so I fail to understand how this is a buff for LRM play, requiring the use of a TAG laser to maintain your target lock. You'd have to stare even more intently at the target than you already do...

You missed the point completely, I'm suggesting a total overhaul to how tag functions. Think of a new version more like AMS where it can reach behind you. You achieve missile lock and the tag automatically tracks it outside your FOV.

#4 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:42 PM

View PostWarboss_Jon, on 21 October 2018 - 08:48 PM, said:

You missed the point completely, I'm suggesting a total overhaul to how tag functions. Think of a new version more like AMS where it can reach behind you. You achieve missile lock and the tag automatically tracks it outside your FOV.

Missed this until now. I'm only a year late, though. :) Your description sounds like how NARC worked in MW4: any missiles that don't have their own lock automatically track to the nearest NARC beacon. TAG was technically an artillery guidance system... I'd be interested to see that kind of autonomous guidance with NARC.. I can hear the salt already, though.

#5 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:46 PM

Back to your original post, though, are you proposing the target lock be maintained by the TAG laser even when it's NOT pointed at the target?

#6 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:57 PM

No.

LRMs/Streaks are fine.

#7 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:32 PM

They could use a variable lock-on cone, though. It really needs to widen up at <50m. Currently, using streaks/lrms actually requires more precise aim than using lasers, and when you're physically disabled or using low-quality hardware, that can make the game impossible to play.

#8 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 05:32 AM

No.

#9 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts