High End Pc Low Fps

Help Me

18 replies to this topic

#1 Xanilos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationIn the South Wall Cornerclub,Balmora.

Posted 30 October 2018 - 06:12 PM

My machine that I am running has a Ryzen 7 2700x with a GTX 1080 and I still spend half my time below 30 FPS. Any ideas?

I have checked the power management settings in both windows and NVIDIA control pannel.

More Specifics on the build:
CPU https://www.newegg.c...N82E16819113499
RAM https://www.newegg.c...N82E16820158024
Motherboard https://smile.amazon...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1
GPU https://smile.amazon...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screenshot of settings:
Posted Image

Tweaking the settings doesn't seem to help much if at all.

EDIT (Jan 2019):

If anyone finds this later while troubleshooting their game I recently replaced my RAM with 3200MHZ corsair vengeance and it made a big difference. Haven't had a severe FPS drop so far since switching with settings fully maxed.

Edited by Xanilos, 30 January 2019 - 05:46 PM.

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 30 October 2018 - 06:17 PM

Ingame settings?

#3 Xanilos

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 06:30 PM

Updated as you posted that.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,710 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 30 October 2018 - 07:13 PM

ouchie on settings. Ya will have a difficult time using MWO settings like you would most modern games. A 6 year old beta Cryegine 3 engine with a ton of backend work to support the game. Essentially it did not cost PGI an arm and a leg to use if it ended up that they could not get it funded for long. You can tell the difference by going into the Proving Grounds on a newer map vs a Live game.

You mentioned you checked but did not indicate actual settings - Power Options is set to High Performance/Nvidia Max Performance?

Drop shadows and post processing to med, Shadows are harsh on mechs with advancing day time. Brawling, lots of LRMS, etc kills with particle effects.

Is the CPU OC at all? Plus that ram, that is low end of the spectrum. I will let others chip in on that. - https://mwomercs.com...nning-on-ryzen/

If you need AA, turn it off in MWO and test it by forcing it via Nvidia panel. Set up a profile for MWO.

Tis all I got for right now.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 30 October 2018 - 07:14 PM.

#5 Xanilos

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 07:25 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 30 October 2018 - 07:13 PM, said:

ouchie on settings. Ya will have a difficult time using MWO settings like you would most modern games. A 6 year old beta Cryegine 3 engine with a ton of backend work to support the game. Essentially it did not cost PGI an arm and a leg to use if it ended up that they could not get it funded for long. You can tell the difference by going into the Proving Grounds on a newer map vs a Live game.

You mentioned you checked but did not indicate actual settings - Power Options is set to High Performance/Nvidia Max Performance?

Drop shadows and post processing to med, Shadows are harsh on mechs with advancing day time. Brawling, lots of LRMS, etc kills with particle effects.

Is the CPU OC at all? Plus that ram, that is low end of the spectrum. I will let others chip in on that. - https://mwomercs.com...nning-on-ryzen/

If you need AA, turn it off in MWO and test it by forcing it via Nvidia panel. Set up a profile for MWO.

Tis all I got for right now.

CPU is running at its 4.3ghz boost clock. It isn't showing up as being very utilized but I haven't tracked per core usage so maybe the game is just poorly optimized for multicore.

Spoiler

That RAM is from back when this machine had an I5 6600k and a GTX 1050.
Any suggestions on what RAM to go for? I havent kept up with the numbers for a few years.
Also would RAM be responsible for little freezes that usually last under a second or two?

Edited by Xanilos, 30 October 2018 - 07:48 PM.

#6 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 30 October 2018 - 07:59 PM

View PostXanilos, on 30 October 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

Updated as you posted that.

That is why.

Turn it all down. 90% of the settings on Ultra High do nothing other than tank FPS. You don't get much actual benefit in game.

I'm on a 8700K @ 4.9Ghz using 1440p and get anywhere from 80-165FPS, map depending. Even get 80FPS on Solaris City. This is all while streaming as well. I've locked my game to 165FPS cause that is the max monitor.

Posted Image

Edited by justcallme A S H, 30 October 2018 - 08:01 PM.

#7 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 31 October 2018 - 04:43 AM

You can turn damage glow off too. I've heard that is a bit heavy on resources.
Ash's list is good. Object detail and Texturing are the two main settings that make the game look good (mech textures in particular and viewing distance for details on map). I think Environment reduces some terrain "popping" if you bring it up a notch so you can try that one too.

#8 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:14 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 31 October 2018 - 04:43 AM, said:

Ash's list is good. Object detail and Texturing are the two main settings that make the game look good (mech textures in particular and viewing distance for details on map). I think Environment reduces some terrain "popping" if you bring it up a notch so you can try that one too.

Aye, turn environment back up so that your distance view of terrain is accurate. Shadows can also go to medium without having a giant impact. Other than that most of these settings do very little to improve the visual experience and do a lot to drain your framerate. It's not your computer, it's the game.

#9 Mighty Spike

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,593 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 02 November 2018 - 01:25 PM

View PostXanilos, on 30 October 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

My machine that I am running has a Ryzen 7 2700x with a GTX 1080 and I still spend half my time below 30 FPS. Any ideas?

I have checked the power management settings in both windows and NVIDIA control pannel.

More Specifics on the build:
CPU https://www.newegg.c...N82E16819113499
RAM https://www.newegg.c...N82E16820158024
Motherboard https://smile.amazon...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1
GPU https://smile.amazon...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screenshot of settings:
Tweaking the settings doesn't seem to help much if at all.

have a Ryzen R5 2600 +nvidia geforce gtx960 and my game runs without vsync fwith 130-180 fps. With Vsync constant 60.
You need to switch antialiasing to>>> post AA.<<< THAT was the solution for me and main fps eater
my system:
CPU:
AMD Ryzen R5 2600 (6x 3,4GHz) 19MB Socket AM4 CPU Boxed (Wraith Stealth Cooller)
mainboard:
Gigabyte B450M DS3H mATX Mainboard
RAM:
16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Grey DDR4-2666 CL16 (16-18-18) RAM Kit

you need to switch antialiasing to post AA.<<<
Buyed the cpu 6months ago and was also wondering why low fps till i switched anti alising to post AA

ah btw. my resolution setting is different because iam a bit handycapped with my eyes so i dont use 1920x1080 because the letters ingame are to small for me to read,like range display etc.. ingame

here a screenshot my settings: My game still looks good with my settings
hope it helps, mine runs very fine now after switching antialiasing to postAA and the not so important things like shadows, environment etc.. try it

Click on image for bigger pic. please let me know if it helped for you, greets from Munich Spike

Posted Image

Edited by Mighty Spike, 03 November 2018 - 02:31 AM.

#10 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:03 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 31 October 2018 - 04:43 AM, said:

Ash's list is good. Object detail and Texturing are the two main settings that make the game look good (mech textures in particular and viewing distance for details on map). I think Environment reduces some terrain &quot;popping&quot; if you bring it up a notch so you can try that one too.

I get hill popping no matter the setting as it's largely distance related and turning it up to max doesn't make much difference unfortunately. At least not for the FPS hit. Some hills won do it and some will, depending on the map itself which suggests to me it's more a design thing in some cases.

Either way I'm getting huge FPS most maps, even on Solaris City I get an average of 80+. I mean the game is more 'immersive' I guess with weapons detail, effects higher etc, but tanking 40-60FPS is not worth it IMO.

#11 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:48 AM

It's not the stettings, i run 80+ fps
with several mods and tweaks

1600x with 4Ghz
RX580 with 8gb
16gb 3200mhz

on 1920x1080
everything on very high, v-sync, fxaa, damage glow, motion blur

Only every drops down occasionally with 15+ mechs brawling on solaris city etc, and only to about 50 fps.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 03 November 2018 - 12:03 AM, said:

I get hill popping no matter the setting as it's largely distance related and turning it up to max doesn't make much difference unfortunately.

I'm using the lod tweak (i think it's called a tweak) found on outreach, it has no noticeable effect on the framerate.
https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/7iq4tw/pop_in_reduction_tweak/

Not sure if i am allowed to post this here.

Anyhow, i'm running very high setting with "worse" hardware then OP, i am also running my browsers, etc beside mwo and i am also running some MWO tweaks (anti lod flickering, shaders, soundmods) and still have more then double the fps, on top of running OBS.

So it's 100% not MWO, there is something odd/wrong with OP's computer settings/hardware.

#12 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:55 AM

You are actually running better hardware, ram-wise. I missed the post asking what ram to run with Ryzen which is something I can not confidently answer for him. Narc Bait and others running Ryzen in the following link, among several

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__6123932

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 04 November 2018 - 09:55 AM.

#13 Xanilos

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:14 AM

Thank you all for your opinions. I changed the settings around and it helped a bit but not sufficiently so I think I will just replace the RAM. Needed to be done anyway.

#14 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 12:56 PM

View PostXanilos, on 04 November 2018 - 11:14 AM, said:

Thank you all for your opinions. I changed the settings around and it helped a bit but not sufficiently so I think I will just replace the RAM. Needed to be done anyway.

Just make sure the ram and motherboard match/spec to each other.

#15 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:34 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 04 November 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

You are actually running better hardware, ram-wise. I missed the post asking what ram to run with Ryzen which is something I can not confidently answer for him. Narc Bait and others running Ryzen in the following link, among several

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__6123932

I can answer that.
Above 3000mhz it's dimishing returns, it's much better to invest into better timings then higher clockspeed.
3000mhz cl14 beats my 3200mhz cl16.

As for what ram specifically, that's a no brainer.

Choose from the list the manufacturer provides.

In OP's case it's this list
https://www.msi.com/...#support-mem-14
Since he has a 2700x (which is pinnacle ridge) his list will be the memory by the rx-2x00 list.

I can already tell that the ram OP is using is either not offically tested or has proven to cause issues with OP's mainboard.

Also, i've noticed his motherboard does feature onboard graphics, this is an alarm flag. I am very much inclined to believe his system runs MWO on said onboard graphics card instead of his dedicated 1080.

#16 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:23 PM

His screenshot of the Nvidia UI shows Power Management mode is set to max power, which is supposed to ensure the Nvidia card is being used. And from the MSI forums, if using a discrete GPU the onboard GPU is disabled, unless it is forced enabled via BIOs.

Integrated Graphics Configuration (optional)

Adjusts integrated graphics settings for optimum system. Press Enter to enter the
sub-menu.

fPrimary Video Adapter [PEG] (optional)

Selects a graphics device as the primary boot device.
[IGD] Integrated Graphics Display.
[PEG] PCI-Express Graphics Device.

Integrated Graphics [Auto] (optional)
If set to Force, BIOS will enable the integrated graphics controller

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 04 November 2018 - 08:25 PM.

#17 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:46 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 04 November 2018 - 08:23 PM, said:

His screenshot of the Nvidia UI shows Power Management mode is set to max power, which is supposed to ensure the Nvidia card is being used. And from the MSI forums, if using a discrete GPU the onboard GPU is disabled, unless it is forced enabled via BIOs.

Integrated Graphics Configuration (optional)

Adjusts integrated graphics settings for optimum system. Press Enter to enter the
sub-menu.

fPrimary Video Adapter [PEG] (optional)

Selects a graphics device as the primary boot device.
[IGD] Integrated Graphics Display.
[PEG] PCI-Express Graphics Device.

Integrated Graphics [Auto] (optional)
If set to Force, BIOS will enable the integrated graphics controller

I had this on my Laptop for years, several games and every game with the unity engine (i know it's not MWO) refused to run on my dedicated radeon card and always only ran on the onboard intel graphics. It's something which is still not fixed (and ultimately the reason i got myself a dedicated PC without onboard graphics).

Radeon settings did nothing. Disableling the onboard graphics didn't help, custom chipset drivers didn't help.

Like i said, i only am enclined to believe the onboard graphic took over. It lines up with the fps mentioned.
I also don't think the ram is at fault for the low fps. It's either working or causing random failures (shutdown, bluescreens).

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 05 November 2018 - 05:47 AM.

#18 Xanilos

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:09 PM

Isn't the motherboard integrated graphics support just for CPUs that include it or am I missing something?
When I go into my CMOS config and look under integrated graphics it is blank.

Edited by Xanilos, 05 November 2018 - 02:15 PM.

#19 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:35 PM

View PostXanilos, on 05 November 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

Isn't the motherboard integrated graphics support just for CPUs that include it or am I missing something?
When I go into my CMOS config and look under integrated graphics it is blank.

Xanilos, you are correct. The issue is how Amazon has it listed "Onboard Graphics CFX ATX Motherboard ". CFX is Crossfire. In fact there has been a few customers who had asked similar questions on if they would need a discrete GPU because several websites had it listed as the above, Onboard Graphics xx xx xx. Sloppy information display on third party seller websites.

It has support for the CPUs with integrated GPU, which would be the Ryzen E and G lines, as well as the A-series. Essentially, if one of those CPU were utilize the motherboard has its GPU connectors/etc to allow it to be displayed.

https://www.msi.com/...PRO#support-cpu

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 05 November 2018 - 08:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users