Some Factors Why This Game Hemorrhages Players

25 replies to this topic

#1 C O N A N

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:14 AM

Hello,

One the the greatest frustrations of mine after getting nearly two dozen of my board gaming friends to take a look at this game was that they all quit. Why? Here is their feed back, and mine.

1) The game is too short for the investment of load time and the many screens one must endure to finally be playing in a match.

I have no doubt that many players feel the same way.... The fact is, as a result of the evolved rubric of the game, that assault mecs are just far too week. They generally die first because of the rampant poor team play in quick matches, killed by the lights with OP speed and weapons. This makes it way to hard to feel the excitement of battle and develop skill as a player. And most assault mechs have become slow and weak due to the constant investment in more and more weapon heavy light and medium mechs. Light and medium mechs are so powerful now they they have no incentive to stay near their teammates, rather they choose to go off and hunt the weak big slow assault mecs to pad their damage and skill stats.. I mean a light mech with 15 weapons slots...and no mediums of heavies with similar possibilities....come on.

Simple fix. Buff the armor.....lights get 25% more, mediums 75% more, heavies 150% more and assaults 500% more.

Assault Mecs should be tough to kill, even for 3-4 other mechs, and nearly unkillable for a single light. Even for a new player with almost no skill at the game.

This would lead to more people playing assault mechs and buying more credits to buy more expensive mechs. More profit for you.

2) After you have skilled a mec to a paltry 92 points there is no where to go from there to improve the power of said mec.....

There needs to be a mech buff in the skills tree that is hyper expensive and extremely powerful, once that say, makes your mec look bigger, makes it tougher and gives it weapons the base tier player cant get until they build up enough c-bills. This would reward those of us who have been playing since beta, or who have 100's of millions of c-bills and nothing to spend it on. I have absolutely no incentive to get a premium account. Because there is nothing for me to develop beyond increasing my collection by getting more of the same stuff, manifested in other mechs... Give me an LBX-50, or an ultra- long range pulse laser, that cost me 30,000 c-bills. A new weapons tier, armor tier, would make this game extensively more deep

3)Clan matches are virtually dead and it is hard to get a match and it takes way to long.. If you added quests to clan matches that allowed for the acquisition of crazy mech improvements , there would be a load more players interested in it. As it is, it is dead, and you guys are making little to no money from it.

The player interface is way to complicated, and confusing.

4) NASCAR, is a real problem now in the game, it has become a regular aspect of the game rubric, and this had made the fun factor smaller, and the employable tactics wither and die.

I find your attempts to tweak the current weapons/heat/armor scales laughable, because they do not have any effect on the current problematics in the game which are more rubric oriented than design oriented.

5) LRMs

All mechs should have the option for AMS, and not one AMS< but as many as one wants. One should be able to build a mech with 20 ams if they want and effectively nullify all LRMS until said defensive obstacle is removed. Consider the tactical implications that would be introduced if the enemy team which was LRM heavy had to remove the defensive AMS mec before they could have effective damage on their targets. This would solve all current map imbalances. Of course it would cost more c-bill, give players incentive to get more c-bills, hence make you more money.

6) Make add ons do something other than look good.

Do I need to say more on this subject. Well....maybe just this, there should be an armor add on.

7) Assuming you do make everything harder to kill, make the game length 20 min instead of 15m

8) Wallet warriors should have big rewards in this game. People who spend money should proceed faster, and be able to defeat 50% or more of the new players simply because they have a superior mech that is easy to use, ridiculously hard to kill, with superior weapons and heat management.

9) Rewards for my money.....

being a wallet warrior myself, who has played since beta, and strongly supported this game with my money, I and others who spend like amounts want preferential treatment. I want exciting reasons to play and keep playing, exciting incentives to overlook the long load times. People who have spent 1k or more on this game deserve god like status and we need a carrot of real power increase in the game over our chincy rivals and enemies. People should be gocking at the power of the old players and their Mechs, and when a player that has a customized buffed out mech is in a battle with those who have not such a Mech, it should strike tactical fear in to the hearts of the opposing team.

Do these things, and you will gain more players then you can possibly imagine. In the end, that means money for you guys.

#2 C O N A N

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 04:33 AM

10) Incorporate the free camera for post mortem, I would rather have an macro view of the action and enjoy the graphics than watch others play from their cockpit view every time. You guys already have the controls for it, hence it is already developed maybe.... put it back into quick match post mortem.

11) consider adding a shield generator that would stop missile and projectile, and reduce lasers 50%, activated by the space bar, or something, and has a limited time of activation.

12) light mechs should be instantly legged if they touch a moving enemy large /assault mech.

13) Add leg kick and punch, and death from above, if I land on a mech from above, it should take major damage.

Edited by Captain Overalls, 02 November 2018 - 04:38 AM.

#3 C O N A N

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 04:42 AM

All in all, new players need more time in battle to gain skill and not die so quickly, old players need more perks and upgrades. The rubric of the game must be massively altered so that there is a greater incentive for meds, and lights to engage in team work rather than run off on their own to kill the underpowered and slow assault lance.

#4 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:58 PM

View PostCaptain Overalls, on 01 November 2018 - 08:14 AM, said:

8) Wallet warriors should have big rewards in this game. People who spend money should proceed faster, and be able to defeat 50% or more of the new players simply because they have a superior mech that is easy to use, ridiculously hard to kill, with superior weapons and heat management.

9) Rewards for my money.....

being a wallet warrior myself, who has played since beta, and strongly supported this game with my money, I and others who spend like amounts want preferential treatment. I want exciting reasons to play and keep playing, exciting incentives to overlook the long load times. People who have spent 1k or more on this game deserve god like status and we need a carrot of real power increase in the game over our chincy rivals and enemies. People should be gocking at the power of the old players and their Mechs, and when a player that has a customized buffed out mech is in a battle with those who have not such a Mech, it should strike tactical fear in to the hearts of the opposing team.

Do these things, and you will gain more players then you can possibly imagine. In the end, that means money for you guys.

I am not entirely sure how you being able to kill others with impunity, because you are able to "defeat 50% or more of the new players simply because (...) have a superior mech that is easy to use", you hold a "god like status" and "strike tactical fear in to the hearts of the opposing team" will actually convince any new players to sign up. Let alone more than I can possibly imagine.

I can understand how this would sound good to you. ;) I just don't understand how that sounds exciting to new players. "Yay, today I was killed by Captain Overalls. I did not have a chance, because his Mech is 5 times more powerful than mine is. Boy, I sure want to keep playing this game." ;)

#5 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:52 AM

But how eloquently he makes the case that lights are OP when in fact it should be 'Wallet Warriors' who should be OP instead! You have to give it to him, he is pretty honest about his ideas of a pay-to-win concept. Good thing PGI never reads these forums unless IGP is mentioned, otherwise that might give them some ideas.

I like the term 'Wallet Warrior', btw.

View PostRoland09, on 03 November 2018 - 01:51 AM, said:

[...] unless IGP is mentioned [...]

Oh noes, what have I done!

#6 Sable Dove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:06 AM

View PostRoland09, on 03 November 2018 - 01:52 AM, said:

But how eloquently he makes the case that lights are OP when in fact it should be 'Wallet Warriors' who should be OP instead! You have to give it to him, he is pretty honest about his ideas of a pay-to-win concept. Good thing PGI never reads these forums unless IGP is mentioned, otherwise that might give them some ideas.

I like the term 'Wallet Warrior', btw.

Oh noes, what have I done!

You fool! Now these suggestions are virtually guaranteed to be implemented!

#7 Eurystheus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:04 PM

View PostCaptain Overalls, on 01 November 2018 - 08:14 AM, said:

Assault Mecs should be tough to kill, even for 3-4 other mechs, and nearly unkillable for a single light. Even for a new player with almost no skill at the game.

Agree it should be harder for lower tonnage Mechs to kill higher tonnage Mechs.

#8 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:33 PM

A very mental post indeed.

#9 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:39 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 10 November 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

A very mental post indeed.

I was wondering how to reply to his post, myself. I just could not tell whether it was satire or whether he meant it seriously. I still can't.

#10 C O N A N

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:31 AM

Lad?

I enjoyed your attempt at subtle condescension..... However it is Likely that I am much older than you.

You say " the only solution is to make your team or at least groupmates cover you.".

Obviously there are many possible solutions, Some of which I pointed out in prior posts. The problem with this game as I stated before is not the Balance of mechs, but the general rubric of team play. For anyone who has played extensive sessions of the Battletech board game, it is self evident that there are glaring flaws in the rubric of online game play. This game is, after all, a simulated emulation of that board game. I strongly encourage the designers to play the board game more with a mind to observing the rubric, and then compare it to online play. No need to take my word for it. The disappointing irony is that tier 1-2 pilots tend to be the most selfish non-team players..

I am not advocating anything be nerfed, rather, the opposite, and I am advocating for greater customizable options for all mechs... for those who are willing to fork over some money, for the opportunity to do so, at the expense of those who do not fork over any morey to PGI. I personally would give hundreds maybe thousands of dollars for said options, and I know I am not alone in this wish.

I bought a $6,000 custom built machine for this game, and a few others I play. I have had a premium account...(for no apparent benefit at a certain point ) Simply, I am advocating that PGI balance the crippled rubric of gameplay and add more depth to the game for players who pay. And, I do not mean more aesthetic add-ons, I mean additions that will actually offer those who pay a significant advantage. As for the rest who do not pay...I could not care less... In fact, It may be wise to segregate the two groups in the game , so that those who are new, can play with the vulchers who offer nothing in the way of support monetarily to PGI.

And now I return the ball to the cheapskates, trolls and snide/skeptical critics.....Likely who pay little to nothing to PGI for their gaming experience....

Edited by Captain Overalls, 15 November 2018 - 05:32 AM.

#11 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:27 AM

View PostCaptain Overalls, on 15 November 2018 - 05:31 AM, said:

And now I return the ball to the cheapskates, trolls and snide/skeptical critics.....Likely who pay little to nothing to PGI for their gaming experience....

Here is a couple of very excellent ideas from me to you, for free, but you do not have a need for feeling of 'vulcher' because I give to you for free:

1. I have no need to know how much you overpaid for your PC to play MWO. Likewise, your post will not get better by use of word 'rubric'. Both, information and word, is very much extraneous in this context. As in, 'un-needed' or 'useless'. If you want, you can do poll. Question: 'Who wants of know how much Captain Overalls overpaid for PC of his?'

2. Why you no try and answer to 1st post of Darakor Stormwind in this thread? He make good point and valid question. Here, I link for you again, for free, because good of heart like all true servants of Dear Coordinator:

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 02 November 2018 - 11:58 PM, said:

I am not entirely sure how you being able to kill others with impunity, because you are able to "defeat 50% or more of the new players simply because (...) have a superior mech that is easy to use", you hold a "god like status" and "strike tactical fear in to the hearts of the opposing team" will actually convince any new players to sign up. Let alone more than I can possibly imagine.

I can understand how this would sound good to you. Posted Image I just don't understand how that sounds exciting to new players. "Yay, today I was killed by Captain Overalls. I did not have a chance, because his Mech is 5 times more powerful than mine is. Boy, I sure want to keep playing this game." Posted Image

#12 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:15 AM

The OP sounds very much like, "Make these changes to stroke my... ego.And if you don't agree with me, here are other reasons why you should stroke my... ego."

The changes the OP proposes feeds the macho BS construct of a single hero able to single-handedly destroy all, that everything hinges on their presence. One might correctly say this point of view falls under the category, or rubric of toxic gaming culture - the kind that poisons and wrecks games and gaming communities, sets up a classist, elitist system that automatically excludes people who don't perform up to someone's "standards", and gives people a false construct to make someone feel, or worse, act as if they are superior, just because they can wave their... wallet... in people's faces.

Ironically (or perhaps not so much), MWO already has a ranking system to measure performance. I wonder why someone might advocate for a "pay to play" model, when there are plenty of ways to measure your own ACTUAL performance against the rest of the gaming community... Oh wait.

The worst part about this post is the OP doesn't seem to get that MWO is a team game. It's a arena game where pilots MUST depend on each other, to work together to accomplish the mission. Assaults and heavies form the core of the murderball. Mediums perform fire support work and defend the heavies and assaults from dangerous lights. All of this is founded on trusting each other, to protect and support each other, and listening to or even making the drop calls.

Teamwork is OP. Pls Nerf.

#13 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:10 AM

Ignore the OP. He is either trolling or fully convinced of his own superiority. In neither case will anything you say reach him.

If you want to understand where he is coming from, check his stats on Jarl's. That's something I should have done before I did my first post.

#14 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:55 PM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 16 November 2018 - 09:10 AM, said:

If you want to understand where he is coming from, check his stats on Jarl's. That's something I should have done before I did my first post.

Oh, I did. thus the "oh, wait."

#15 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:02 PM

1) Honestly I'd try a similar buff to armor strength, but on PTS.
ie. "lights +25%, mediums +36%, heavies +48%, assaults +64% more"

2) Sure put on PTS some "hyper expensive" and powerful skill tree buff.
Can only unlocked after unlocking 91 points on that Mech.

Lets simply call this new section the "Outclass & Outshine Pilot Skill" (OOPS).
The player can choose to activate only 1 from a list of abilities that apply only to that mech, ie:
+100% Jump Jet ability & -50% JJ heat
+30% Heat Dispersal & -15% cool down
+15% laser damage & -30% laser heat
(change the % to fit, I just entered some random %)

Suggest a minimum 200,000 Mech Experience Points (XP) or General Experience Points (GXP)
Making it cost 250 SP and 13,500,000 CBills to unlock 1 OOPS point. (gotta be dedicated)

Once an OOPS is unlocked it can be changed, or even changed to none.
Any other OOPS would cost the same 250sp + 13.5mil cbils to unlock.
Can freely change OOPS to any other OOPS that is unlocked.
But a mech can only have 1 OOPS active, or MWO won't save configuration.

5) LRMs aren't the problem its more about how PGI over-nerfed AMS back around 2013-ish.
As a result I don't normally use AMS because it is what it is.
Tried PIR-A a week or so, with 4x AMS in QP and after several matches and imo still over-nerfed.

Otherwise No to all the rest of that satirical "god" P2W total BS, but thank you for the many-many lols!
:D xD :D x) 8D :D xD :D x) 8D :D :D

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 16 November 2018 - 09:10 AM, said:

Ignore the OP. He is either trolling or fully convinced of his own superiority. In neither case will anything you say reach him.

Yeah your probably right Oops! But its not nearly as fun. ;)

#16 turdburglir

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBest Coast, USA

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:16 PM

the solution is NOT to give you "godmode" because, um....? the solution is for YOU to learn how to have fun in this game or GTFO

if you cant get your friends involved oh well. if you cant beat em, join em. i have thrown so much money @ games over the years, i really could care less about me getting something "extra". im more interested in helping to fund further development to a game i enjoy. thats why I pay for stuffs in MWO. if you're paying for premium time, or dumping tons of money into mech packs expecting game breaking goodies just for you then i dont think you know how good MOBAs work...

#17 C O N A N

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 07:33 AM

As for my stats...well. I don't see any other ACE OF SPADES thus far offering insights here but me.

The general ad hominem comments coming from players..... in this game's current era are not so surprising, and generally these are the type of players... who give birth to the type of issues I am attempting to address...

Who can take a guy who calls himself "turdburglir" seriously? Why PGI has allowed you to continue with that name, is just another hallmark reason there needs to be a bit more attention paid to player's community by PGI.

Regardless, Turdburglir, I have ended your game prematurely many...many..times..... enough so that I recognise your generally offensive name.

But please keep on trolling, you aid in making my point to PGI; this post, from the beginning, was intended for PGI alone, I saw no place other than this forum to address my concerns. Perhaps this is another problem PGI may address, who knows.

And, happy Saturday.

#18 turdburglir

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBest Coast, USA

Posted 17 November 2018 - 07:55 PM

lmfao i have never even played a round with you, cap. so please. pics or complete bull.

as to my name, i have never had a complaint in this or any other game so /shrug

and trolling? really? the OP is a troll. you want godmode because you bought prem time. really?

if you arent having fun, go play something else. simple as that.

#19 C O N A N

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:26 AM

NO, I do not want god mode..... I would like a more expanded and in depth skill tree beyond what is there already. I want more reasons to buy with real money or c-bills.... or xp..useful add-ons. (like an armor add on.) And, I want to see the damage dealing of lights nerfed, not by making them weaker, but by making all other classes of mech stronger.

I am not alone..... I would like to see the matches last longer and an increase in the length of time alloted for each match, to offset the laborious time it takes to get into another match.

#20 C O N A N

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:30 PM

View PostAkillius, on 16 November 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

1) Honestly I'd try a similar buff to armor strength, but on PTS.
ie. "lights +25%, mediums +36%, heavies +48%, assaults +64% more"

2) Sure put on PTS some "hyper expensive" and powerful skill tree buff.
Can only unlocked after unlocking 91 points on that Mech.

Lets simply call this new section the "Outclass & Outshine Pilot Skill" (OOPS).
The player can choose to activate only 1 from a list of abilities that apply only to that mech, ie:
+100% Jump Jet ability & -50% JJ heat
+30% Heat Dispersal & -15% cool down
+15% laser damage & -30% laser heat
(change the % to fit, I just entered some random %)

Suggest a minimum 200,000 Mech Experience Points (XP) or General Experience Points (GXP)
Making it cost 250 SP and 13,500,000 CBills to unlock 1 OOPS point. (gotta be dedicated)

Once an OOPS is unlocked it can be changed, or even changed to none.
Any other OOPS would cost the same 250sp + 13.5mil cbils to unlock.
Can freely change OOPS to any other OOPS that is unlocked.
But a mech can only have 1 OOPS active, or MWO won't save configuration.

5) LRMs aren't the problem its more about how PGI over-nerfed AMS back around 2013-ish.
As a result I don't normally use AMS because it is what it is.
Tried PIR-A a week or so, with 4x AMS in QP and after several matches and imo still over-nerfed.

Otherwise No to all the rest of that satirical "god" P2W total BS, but thank you for the many-many lols!
Posted Image xD Posted Image x) 8D Posted Image xD Posted Image x) 8D Posted Image Posted Image

Yeah your probably right Oops! But its not nearly as fun. Posted Image

THESE ARE ALL fantastic suggestions and observations. Well Said, thank you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users