#1 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:43 AM

hey!

i finally have a 144hz monitor but for no apparent reason i can't get mwo to display more than 60fps

the game seems as if there was a fps cap, even though i have not created a user.cfg nor is vsync active
(ingame vsync. gsync+nvcp vsync is active)

the game is running on dx11 in fullscreen mode
when entering my monitor osd i get displayed that the monitor is configured for 144hz+gsync but the current app is running at 60hz and gsync active

what is the reason for this virtual fps cap?

144hz work fine in any other game i play

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:45 PM

Is only one monitor connected? And how is it connected, what type of connector DisplayPort or HDMI?

And what happens when playing in Full Windowed mode?

If you check your Windows Desktop display settings, under Advanced settings -> Display Adapter Properties -> Monitor, is the screen refresh rate set correctly here?

And, have you rebooted the system ? Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 03 November 2018 - 01:13 PM.

#3 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:21 PM

rebootet, yes several times

yes, only one monitor connected via DP

win10 reports the refresh rate at 143 hz

haven't testet full windowed yet, will do - but i expect gsync so seize working in that case
edit: being in full windowed is not pretty...but switching back apparently brings mwo into 144hz mode
closing mwo and starting it back up leaves my in 60hz again

don't know what the problem might be :/

Edited by Iacov, 03 November 2018 - 01:31 PM.

#4 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 03 November 2018 - 06:41 PM

Go into NVidia Control Panel - and change the refresh there. It is under minitor settings somewhere, you'll have to have a dig.

Turn GSync on from there too and off in MWO.

That worked for me as I had the same issue. Sit at 165FPS locked (to monitor fresh) no drama now.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 03 November 2018 - 06:41 PM.

#5 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:00 AM

i did a complete reinstall of MWO (including deleting the "saved games" folder under C:/user) to no avail...still i am locked ad 60hz ingame

in nvcp gsync is on - and nvcp reports the refresh rate at 144hz, same as in windows settings
the mwo specific 3d settings in nvcp offer no relevant options as far as i can tell

so, whats up with MWO? is the engine really that borked?
apparently switching from fullscreen to windowed and back "unlocks" the framecap - starting in fullscreen has the cap enabled - what sorcery is this?

#6 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:31 AM

Possibly something in the system is not switching over from the windowed log in screen to the FE. For some players, be it refresh rate or 720p vs 1080p, it actually ended up being another program that had its drivers loaded up on bootup and/or overlays. And switching to windowed then back to full screen forces everything to be reloaded and redrawn, potentially bypass the issue and getting full communication with the GPU driver.

And you did say that full windowed mode looks like crap? I am not sure about others, I do not see any differences. The differences for Windows is that Full Screen the system is providing very little resources with the items in the background.

Do you run advanced system settings, system properties, advanced tab, performance settings and have Let Windows choose what's best for my computer? Mine is set "Adjust best performance" nor do I run programs that have overlays, as well as have Xbox DVR and overlay disabled.

Direct3D applications can run in either of two modes: windowed or full-screen. In windowed mode, the application shares the available desktop screen space with all running applications. In full-screen mode, the window that the application runs in covers the entire desktop, hiding all running applications (including your development environment). Games typically default to full-screen mode to fully immerse the user in the game by hiding all running applications.

Code differences between full-screen mode and windowed mode are very small.

Because an application running in full-screen mode takes over the screen, debugging the application requires either a separate monitor or the use of a remote debugger. One advantage of a windowed-mode application is that you can step through the code in a debugger without multiple monitors or a remote debugger

It is possible that there is also a code issue with MWO, but that does not exempt another program causing interference.

But an interesting read from WoW.

https://us.battle.ne...pic/20766176466

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 04 November 2018 - 09:57 AM.

#7 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:27 PM

Have you tried leaving the mechlab? The mechlab is locked to 60fps regardless of anything.

#8 M T

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGouda, South Holland

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:32 AM

For Nvidia there are two solutions.

1. Control panel -> Global options -> Preferred refresh rate -> Highest possible

2. Custom resolution utility -> rip all undesired refresh rates and only leave highest, forces everything on max refresh but can be risky.

These solutions are both for when running full screen obviously, as (full) window will simply adhere to whatever refresh rate the DWM is running at.

Mechlab as little to do with anything, as you should still be able to run there at 120+ hz, its just artificially fps capped. But both are totally unrelated. Even with Gsync active, monitor OSD should report proper refresh if ur monitor is capable of showing current active refresh.

Edited by M T, 09 November 2018 - 06:36 AM.

#9 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 16 November 2018 - 04:53 AM

small update...

when launching in dx11/fullscreen then fps is locked at 60fps in and out of mechlab
when pressing alt-enter twice (so going to Windowed and back to fullscreen) fps in mechlab is still a 60cap,but ingame the fps cap is unlocked

what is the reason for this behaviours?

#10 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:33 PM

View PostIacov, on 16 November 2018 - 04:53 AM, said:

small update...

when launching in dx11/fullscreen then fps is locked at 60fps in and out of mechlab
when pressing alt-enter twice (so going to Windowed and back to fullscreen) fps in mechlab is still a 60cap,but ingame the fps cap is unlocked

Mechlab's graphically is very static and dark.
So mechlab is set at 60 fps, and it would give older graphics cards (circa 2012 & older) a chance to cool a little after a match.

View PostAlcom Isst, on 05 November 2018 - 08:27 PM, said:

Have you tried leaving the mechlab? The mechlab is locked to 60fps regardless of anything.

And without doing the alt-enter twice thingy:
Is your FPS above 60 just after the moment when mechs are flown in/dropped/powerup into match?
Is your FPS above 60 after the mechs are all shootin' and movin'?

#11 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 17 November 2018 - 01:56 PM

my monitor can display it's status/mode, which makes diagnosing this quite easy:
no matter if in mechlab or ingame/testing grounds: the status says 60hz
when double-alt-enter-ing the display mode changes to 144hz

so whenever i start the game in fullscreen, apparently the game limits itself to 60hz - which ultimately changes by switching to windowed and back to fullscreen
what can be the reason for that?

#12 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 17 November 2018 - 11:18 PM

View PostIacov, on 17 November 2018 - 01:56 PM, said:

my monitor can display it's status/mode, which makes diagnosing this quite easy:
no matter if in mechlab or ingame/testing grounds: the status says 60hz
when double-alt-enter-ing the display mode changes to 144hz

so whenever i start the game in fullscreen, apparently the game limits itself to 60hz - which ultimately changes by switching to windowed and back to fullscreen
what can be the reason for that?

No idea, but try setting full window

#13 Pblogic

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 10:01 PM

I'm having the same problem. 144hz in everything else. Damn this game is a piece of ****.

#14 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 03:10 AM

Did u contact support? I would try to disable all sync technologie. Engine is heavily modified over 10 years old! And since its not a problem for every maschine chances are, that there is only one x missing (like in nvidia sync settings to be active in windowed mode)

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 26 March 2023 - 03:57 AM.

#15 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 12 August 2023 - 04:14 AM

View PostIacov, on 16 November 2018 - 04:53 AM, said:

small update...

Can confirm this works. Every single game I have runs at 120hz with vsync except this one but the double alt-enter trick works a charm. The difference in zipping around in a flea at 120hz vs 60 is far far smoother than I could have imagined.

Weird the engine does this.

#16 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 10:54 AM

Ez fix.MWO never fullscreen. They should delete this option.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 12 August 2023 - 10:54 AM.

#17 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 12 August 2023 - 02:21 PM

Windowed or borderless window randomly stutters for me. You only have to do the alt-enter trick once a play session so meh not too worried. Just odd that the game behaves this way when none of my other older games have this issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users