#2 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:02 PM

I've not spent SP yet so keep that in mind:

So far the LB20X 4SRM build is my favourite, but the VEagle is broad enough to get that gun torso shot off extremely quick in a brawl, and the engine size required means you can't be quite as nippy as you'd like. I think survival tree will help a lot here obviously.

The VGL 1 is my next favourite, I have tried a lot of builds that all sucked eggs, but theoretically one should work (such as the uac build but that's just kinda boring).

The other VGLs are rather strange, can't make my mind up about them. I played one round in the Rival so far and it got shot to bits, I ended up doing 480 points of damage more or less with just the ATM 9. Masc is fun, again probably better with SP.

So far I think it has promise, but it's not OP in any respect. I was hoping for a Shadowhawk level of awesome but the quirks are daft and the hardpoint placement is not only assymetrical from left to right, but you also cannot place two energy weapons in the top torso slots (where available) on any of them. Sigh.

#3 l42yb0y

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 20 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:18 PM

Not much enthusiasm for the vgl in this forum.

surprisingly this build worked well on the vgl 1:

uac20 4mpl 3mg

#4 Saiyajin12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:23 PM

VGL-1

280XL

1 LB10X
4 ERML
2 SRM6

4JJ

Been trying all kinds of builds for this thing, and this is what I feel the most comfortable with so far. It's taken from Baradul's champion mech build, basically the same stuff except with clan tech and jjs.

Might feel like a lot of weapons to manage, but it works pretty well atleast for me. LB10X and ERML at midrange, and switch out lasers for the SRMs when it turns brawly and the lasers are too hot to use. o7

Edited by Saiyajin12, 15 November 2018 - 03:50 PM.

#5 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:11 PM

So I've been occasionally playing a stupid, ridiculous and largely pointless build that nevertheless is comedy at its finest when it "goes off":

Take a VGL 1 and add a gauss rifle. Throw in three tons of ammo and an xl 245 engine with its spare heatsink and a couple of jump jets. Sprinkle with 4 heavy medium lasers and layer with a decidedly thin topping of ferro fibrous armour. You will need to shave the head and right arm, and probably the legs as well.

Now, for the final touch:

Pop that second gauss rifle in there, it ought to fit nice and snug.

Simmer to within 300m of your target and fire everything at once. As soon as the lasers stop burning take your finger off the trigger as the gauss rifles will be finished charging.

Cons:

If someone shoots your left arm off, you will die from the resulting chain reaction.

Pros:

70 point alpha strike on 55 tons without over heating; people asking in chat how much the VGL weighs.

#6 Brethren

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:31 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 15 November 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

Pop that second gauss rifle in there, it ought to fit nice and snug.

Guess that's a build i have to try next... Posted Image

I'm quite happy about the VGL-2. Even on announcement that mech screamed PPCs and MGs! With 6 JJs and those quirks you can poptart all over the place (outside of Solaris City). Posted Image
That's how it has ended up and that's the way it works.

#7 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:43 AM

So far, only VGL I've actually liked to pilot has been the VGL-4. 1 LPLas and 6 ERMLas, 23 DHS.

VGL-4

A^;D4:61|5f|l^|l^|l^pb0|l^|l^|l^|l^qb0|l^|l^|l^|l^rS0|lB|lB|lBsS0|0C|lB|lB|lBt^0|l^u^0|l^v70w202020

Runs pretty cool, hits pretty hard, and if you have speed tweak is pushing close to 100 while doing so. Can get two alphas off without shutting down, and can throttle the heat bar with the three weapon grounds (left arm ERMLas, right arm ERMLas, LPLas).

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 16 November 2018 - 08:46 AM.

#8 l42yb0y

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 20 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 16 November 2018 - 04:20 PM

I found the arms come off really easy on the vgl.

Running 3 lpl now in the torso and it works well.

#9 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:26 PM

VGL-4 w/ 7 MPL

#10 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:04 PM

I like this one. VGL-1. You can fiddle with ammo and engine, etc.

Edited by Lightfoot, 03 January 2019 - 02:15 PM.

#11 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 02:19 PM

I have a lot of luck with this VGL1 build.

A[;D4061|l^|8f|l^|l^pb0|<C|OC|OC|l^|l^qb0|<C|OC|l^|l^|l^rT0|l^|l^sT0|OC|l^td0|OGud0|OG|XRv<0|XRw202020

xl330 4x HML 2x SRM6 and 11x DH 2x JJ

Produces damage north of 1000. You alpha someone in the back and it is over.

Skills are all the missile and laser nodes and everything on the way to those, All the heat containment and coolrun and all the survival tree except the ams and 2 structure.

The heat management is 1.55

Speed is 97.2kph which Im comfortable with on a 55 ton medium because its what you get from the common IS mediums with an xl300 and tweaks.

Not having any of the mobility unlocked makes it twist kinda slow so I focused on improved gyros going down the ops tree.

Edit: Yes I know it leaves 2 tons unused, Im clan engine poor and spending all my cbills on mechs during the sale. Going to step up the engine when I can afford it.

Solid mech in my opinion.

I had tried this buils with 4x LMG paired on the trigger with the srm6s but heat was an issue.

Edited by Johny Rocket, 07 January 2020 - 02:39 PM.

#12 Tin Roof Rusted

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 02:25 PM

I do quite well on the VGL-4 with 2ATM12's, Tag, AP and either 6ersl (hotter build) or 2mhl with the XL270.
Even thought this variate doesn't have JJ's, it is Very dangerous!
Just try and stay within 150m for most dmg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users