- - - - -

Powerful Inner Sphere Light Mechs?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Reposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:17 PM

Hi guys, just wondering what are recommended easy to use or powerful IS Light mechs?

#2 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:23 PM

Buy yourself a Wolfhound WLF-2.

https://mech.nav-alp...#eac1b4d6_WLF-2

Fast, manuverable, well-armored, and packs a mean punch.

#3 Reposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:27 PM

Link not working for me.

#4 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:44 PM

Works fine for me.... are you on mobile or something? Working OK when viewed in Chrome on Windows 10.

In any case... it's a WLF-2, 5 med pulse laser, XL280 engine, Endo, Ferro, 13 double heatsinks, armor stripped off the empty arm, max everywhere else.

Edited by Eisenhorne, 15 November 2018 - 01:45 PM.

#5 Reposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:46 PM

Using my gaming HP Omen laptop... I am using IE 11. Thanks for the info anyhow.

#6 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:54 PM

View PostReposter, on 15 November 2018 - 01:46 PM, said:

Using my gaming HP Omen laptop... I am using IE 11. Thanks for the info anyhow.

Interesting... it doesn't work in IE 11. Works fine in Chrome though.

kill2blit said:

Kill2bilt, is this a known issue?

btw, awesome mechlab site! Love how easy it is to search for mechs, by far the best feature! Only thing I wish it had was the ability to set armor values by entering a number instead of clicking.

Edited by Eisenhorne, 15 November 2018 - 02:00 PM.

#7 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:11 PM

There can be only one powerful assult lightmech.

The URBIE!

Sure running the defalt builds can be fun and challenging. (Only do it after a few shots or beers.)

There are quirks that can be used to buff the armor to that of a heavy mech. Then there are all the different builds. Dual ERLL, SRM, MRM, QUAD HMGs and the 5 MPL on the Deputy dog, sorry K9.

For a mech that was not planned by PGI all I can say is

URBIE IS LOVE.

And a back fire of an April fools joke by PGI.

#8 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 04:52 PM

Best IS lights, in no particular order:

Wolfhound Grinner/WFL-2 - The wolf hound is a fast, sturdy laser vomit mech, best fitted with medium pulse in my opinion. The Grinner cost CBills, and comes with ECM, the WFL-2 fits an extra hard point. Both are good mechs, but the ECM and Stealth Armour on the grinner makes it the superior mech in my opinion, if you have the MC for it.

Locust Pirates Bane/LCT-1E - tiny, fast an maneuverable, the locust is the standard for speed and maneuverability. It's an excellent harasser and squirrel, and just a lot of fun to drive. Once again, the normal 1E comes with extra firepower, but the ECM/Stealth on the Pirates Bane is just so valuable. If you get the MC, always get the Locust Pack, as it comes with both models, 4 Mech Bays and a month of premium time, all for ~1000mc.

Urbie - the mini-assault mech, most durable mech of any light. It's not a fast flanker that can do it's own thing, it wants to be supporting the team, using it's decent amount of firepower to multiply the damage of friendlies. R-60 is the best CBill model that I use when I just want to go out and have some fun - 4 heavy machine guns and a couple of pulse lasers is a lot of fun. People also swear by the K-9 if you want more lasers, and have the MC to spare.

Flea - like the locust, except a little slower generally, but faster when using MASC. Using the increased speed and turning rate when MASC is activated, you can make your movements very unpredictable, making it the ultimate squirrel mech. Don't own one myself, so I won't talk about models, but it's an extremely worthy mech from what I've seen.

Edited by Maddermax, 15 November 2018 - 04:54 PM.

#9 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:21 PM

You might also find the Commando 2D with ECM, stealth armor, and SRM2s to be surprisingly effective. It's quirked for structure and has extremely good hitboxes so if you max out survival it becomes ridiculously durable for its class.

#10 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:36 PM

The Wolfhound is my all time favorite light, arguable the best in game right now.

The Urbie is way tougher than it should be but that what makes it fun.

Raven still has nice hard points and hit boxes, it's no longer the most powerful IS light as it once was but it a mech that gives you options.

#11 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:02 AM

Ubrie and Wolfhound wid Dual Large pulse is moi favs

#12 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:25 AM

The Urbanmech it kind of a medium mech in a light chassis, so it doesn't really play like a light mech. It meets the criteria though, so it's worth mentioning. I love my K-9 hero mech with an AC5 and 5 SLs.

More of a classic fast and nimble light mech that's worked decently for me is the Osiris. I think I have my OSR-3D equipped with 2ML or ERMLs in the arm (for shooting down UAVs), 3 SPLs and 2 HMGs, with around a 280XL engine and some JJs. It's a nice versatile support mech, able to do a bit of damage at a distance while having enough speed and dps to go after light mechs harassing my teammates. The OSR-4D has 6 energy hardpoints allowing for a simple 6 SPL build with a couple JJs and a 285XL engine for a 154kph top speed. The OSR-1V can do a decent 4 SPL, 3 SRM2 build but with a 255XL engine and a 137.7kph top speed it's borderline on the speed it needs to avoid damage.

Speed is safety for an Osiris, so it probably shouldn't have a top speed under 140kph or so and you don't want to stand still on the battlefield in one.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 03:48 PM

Personal favorites:

Firestarter, Wolfhound, Panther. (The latter ranks high in armor and is intended to use heavy firepower. It...royally sucks in the speed category)
Note the rest include Clan mechs too:

The common monster: Jenner, pretty much any other 35 tonner in the game aside from the ones I already mentioned.

The funballs: Anything 30 tons. Loads of fun, very few are 'excellent' though (speaking for both sides)

Looking for a challenge: Anything 25 tons.

The trolls: 20 tons. Anything here is either gonna have people cry about how overpowered your 20 ton mech is, or about how little you brought to the table and that you should be ashamed of yourself. Just can't win here. But screw them, you're here for you.

#14 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 17 November 2018 - 04:54 PM

I got my Ace of Spades in a Spider, but I wouldn't recommend it for power compared to other 'mechs - it's the agility which kept me in the fight pretty much since first contact that was responsible for that match. The Pirate's Bane/Locust is a fun Light as well.

A caveat however, is that I've been away from regular play for a while now, and my builds and 'mech choices may not play well in the current meta. =)

PS: You are still here for the team; it's a team game, and you should care about other people. However comma, the choice of how you contribute to the team is up to you, and you alone - don't let unconstructive angry people tell you what to play.

Edited by Void Angel, 17 November 2018 - 06:50 PM.

#15 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:52 PM

Urbanmech was a decent mech before they buffed it with armor quirks. Now it's an absolute tank. I like to run the regular versions with RACs. By all accounts the hero with medium pulse lasers is pretty damn stronk.

I don't have the Wolfhound. But I imagine it's as good as people say. Takes a lot for an IS light to be considered competitive.

#16 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:49 PM

I'm partial to the Locust 1E or the Raven 3L

#17 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:35 AM

I personally love the Commando 3A, you can also run this build on the 1B or 1D:

https://mwo.smurfy-n...e64fecbbd9cbb00

You can run 2 SRM 2's, but I like to keep my firepower in the CT if I lose both of my arms. I maxed the leg armor out to over 40 points each. I got speed tweak up to 160's kph, so you become really hard to hit, have great hitboxes, and have really strong legs. I'll share a screenshot of my really beat-up commando if I can find it.

#18 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:11 AM

Beside the already mentioned mechs i also really like Cicadas, especially the 2A and 2B variants.
Yes, they are mediums but they play like a light, and that's what usually matters.
The 2A works nice with medium lasers while the 2B is great with medium pulses.

In comparison to the WLF-2 a CDA-2B is a bit slower (since XL engine weight scales poorly above 300 rating) and has less survivability. But it has a significantly higher sustained DPS thanks to 15% cooldown reduction, 10% heat reduction (5% more than the WLF) and more DHS. It's also a tad bit more agile and having most of it's firepower in the arms can also help hitting enemies on different elevation levels like on Rubbelite.

So at least in QP the CDA can work very well when the pilot knows how to roll damage, and/or avoid trading at all. It can't squirrel around as much a WLF can do, but when fully utilizing it's range as well as available cover it's probably equally annoying and deadly.

Edited by Daggett, 28 November 2018 - 07:12 AM.

#19 Picard90

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 05:48 PM

Hi, I'm relatively a new player here, so I'm short on strategy and tactics.

However, I am playing my Javelin F-11L (a loyalty variant) and loving it very much. I'm maxed out in survival and mobility. I'm about to get the final perks for radar deprivation. I carry 2 ER Medium Lasers and 6 HMGs, I also have AMS (anti-missile system). It's not the fastest mech out there, it runs barely at 110 kph. The cool thing about it is that it runs pretty much cool, I've never had to shut down due to overheat.

I'm a bit trigger happy, so I have to force myself watching the ammo on HMGs. I usually use MLs only to engage the fresh targets, then use HMGs on any target's open components (armor that is shed away). Once I took down a Zeus after its right arm was ripped off, and I poured HMGs into that open area, down it went! I stayed out of its weapon frontage, sticking to the Zeus's right side and took advantage of two factors -- I had my team backing me up and Zeus is slow in turning its torso.

The whole point of my post is thus, no matter what light mech you use, the key lies in how you use it effectively. Know its limitations and the roles of light mech, then you're good to go in any light mech. I got some great tips from more experienced players in my thread, "Is It Stealing A Kill?" So check that out. See one of the posts in which two video clips were shown of a light mech making short work of its opponents. Learn from that poster, and you'll do well in your fights.

My Javelin isn't the most powerful light mech, under right circumstances, it can be a deadly mech. I'm able to score 2 kills at most and half-dozen kill assists consistently. I've won a fair share of my matches in quick play. Make your light mech an asset to your team and that's when you can begin to thrive in MWO world.

#20 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:36 AM

If you can handle speed and paper armor, LCT-1E with 6x MLas (for hot poking)/6x SPLas (for cool skirmishing/backstabbing). If you want a slow, tanky light: pick the urbie that has the hardpoints you want. All-around goodness: WLF-2 with 6x MLas or 5x MPLas and a smaller engine. If you want something that requires a lot of skill to play but is highly rewarding, a RVN-4X. If you want a meme, a SDR-5V with maxed JJ, mobility, and capture nodes. An OSR-4D with 6x MLas, XL280, and 4x JJ for a Locust that's a bit bigger and slower but jump-capable and well-suited to corner poking.

Edited by Alexander of Macedon, 01 December 2018 - 11:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users