Mwo Crashes Graphics Hardware

9 replies to this topic

#1 Rayko556

Rookie

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:34 PM

So, the past few weeks, the game randomly crashes. saying that the software is unstable due to overclocking, voltage, etc.
I play on a laptop with a GTX 1060m, I do not overclock, overvolt, or whatever. the only thing I Did is undervolt slightly the CPU for better temps. but that's it. drivers are up to date.
this only happens with MWO. granted the next heavy games I have are SC2 and L4D2. I do have battlefront 2015, but I don't play games often (I'm a casual player)
Anybody with a solution? any help will be really appreciated.
thanks beforehand!!!

p.s. specs of my pc before anyone asks:
Intel core I7 7700HQ
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060m (6GB)
16GB RAM
256 SSD M.2
1 TB HDD

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:50 PM

How EXACTLY are you underclocking? AND, have you cleared out the dust buildup on the exhausts/heat sinks (laptops, not mech..Posted Image )

Turbo boost, if enabled will overclock your CPU. To disable the turbo boost change the Processor power management to 98% or 97%. Test with each one. From other members they did not see enough of a change with it being set at 99%

https://www.tautvida...el-turbo-boost/

Frequency
2800 MHz base
3400 MHz (3 or 4 cores)
3600 MHz (2 cores)
Maximum turbo frequency 3800 MHz (1 core)

The other option is to create a user.cfg and put into your MWO folder with the following line command, or do both.

sys_MaxFPS = 30

Or for the limiter, instead of using creating a user.cfg, you can try setting max FPS with a MWO profile in the Nvidia UI.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 19 November 2018 - 05:52 PM.

#3 Rayko556

Rookie

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 07:10 PM

I have been using XTU to do an undervotl to -0.115V helps reduce the already hot this CPU is. achieving around 40 c on regular load and on heavier load around 65-70 c
I do my best to keep my laptop clean, including the heatsinks. I have to clean my mechs dude, that poor raven-3l of mine is quite dusty, no wonder why it overheats fast...
I will for sure give a shot to change that turbo boost setting.

#4 Rayko556

Rookie

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:39 PM

Update:
Disabling the turbo boost really helped on temps. which you have my thanks.
I am however still getting crashes, not as often as before. I was able to enter testing grounds without crashing (that's where most of the crashing happened for some reason).
the last time it crashed, I was able to get a pic of the error, don't know if that would help:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!...1tKtIbJd0JiJ96Q

#5 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 20 November 2018 - 03:17 AM

wow you are a lucky one, when MWO crashed my Hardware (BSoD) (also a laptop) the graphic card never started working again.

#6 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 05:19 PM

dxgi_error_device_removed

What OS are is being used? From WinXP on up, they all have a base version of directx 9. From Vista+ they also have newer versions but they are not backward compatible.

https://www.microsof...ls.aspx?id=8109

Download, unpack and run the dxsetup. This will reinstall directx 9c modules where needed, especially if a module has become corrupted. You may using directx 11 but it still uses directx 9 elements. You could also test by switching to directx 9. Keep this file handy. I run this when there is a graphical issue that may be related, to remove it from the equation.

You may want to temporary undo the undervoltage for testing.

You are playing with the power adapter plugged in, correct? Remove the laptop's battery and test with just the adapter. A failing or underpowered adapter (one that had been replaced) or a dying battery that is attempting to pull more juice to charge up could result in game crashes. One player had been using the wrong adapter, a few others had replaced their adapters but still having issues, but removed the battery and their issues stopped showing up.

Disable Antialiasing in Nvidia panel and game.

Since it is a laptop, if the Nvidia driver has recently been updated, uninstall, reboot and manually reinstall. Still issue? Uninstall and roll the driver back a series. And if Win10, unless you went through the settings, Windows update will also update drivers and it differently does not always go well. And even if it is turned off, a full Windows update can reset it back to default settings.

Also, how long have you had the laptop?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 20 November 2018 - 05:20 PM.

#7 Rayko556

Rookie

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 11:26 AM

I'll try reverting the undervolting,
I am running windows 10 on the laptop. it's not an old laptop either. I got it around August. it's an MSI PE62VR.
when you say reinstall Nvidia drivers, you mean downloading straight from the site rather than using the Nvidia software provided on the laptop? (the Geforce experience)
I am playing on the power adapter. these newer models do not have an external battery. I would need to take off the cover and stuff to remove the battery. I can give it a shot though. :)

View PostKarl Streiger, on 20 November 2018 - 03:17 AM, said:

wow you are a lucky one, when MWO crashed my Hardware (BSoD) (also a laptop) the graphic card never started working again.

ugh, sorry man, that's really frustrating.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:58 PM

Yes, do a clean install. Not sure how you let Nvidia install driver updates, usually there is an option for a clean install or install. Download, then make sure to completely uninstall. I would first download and install the last set of MSI gpu drivers and test using those.

Is this your laptop?

https://us.msi.com/L...060#down-driver

#9 rednamnad

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:54 AM

@Rayko556: How do your crashed exactly unfold and under which circumstances?

I´m asking because I also have some issues since some patches ago.

Occasionally both my monitors turn blank (actually they got to stand-by), sound from others sources (youtube or twitch) continues, computer won´t react to any blind inputs and then everything stops adn I need to hard reset teh system.

As far as I can tell everytime this happens there are a lot of visual effects are happening like being under heavy AC fire or something.

Computer is fairly stand Intel i7, GTX1080i, nothing out of the ordinary.
I´m not having any problems with games like Fortnite, PUBG, etc.

Anyone else having such issues and a solution?

Regards

#10 PeanutButterJellyfishSandwich

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:18 AM

View Postrednamnad, on 10 April 2019 - 12:54 AM, said:

@Rayko556: How do your crashed exactly unfold and under which circumstances?

I´m asking because I also have some issues since some patches ago.

Occasionally both my monitors turn blank (actually they got to stand-by), sound from others sources (youtube or twitch) continues, computer won´t react to any blind inputs and then everything stops adn I need to hard reset teh system.

As far as I can tell everytime this happens there are a lot of visual effects are happening like being under heavy AC fire or something.

Computer is fairly stand Intel i7, GTX1080i, nothing out of the ordinary.
I´m not having any problems with games like Fortnite, PUBG, etc.

Anyone else having such issues and a solution?

Regards

I am having same issue. I play in full windowed mode on an i5-4670K (not overclocked), 8gb DDR3-1600, GTX 1050Ti 4GB. If I have Chrome or Discord open, even in the background, MWO crashes. This just started yesterday. I ran the Steam validation thing, cleaned up my registry...still happening Posted Image. Mine happens oftentimes before the match even starts or right when we drop, so I have to reboot.

Edited by PeanutButterJellyfishSandwich, 21 April 2019 - 08:19 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users