I Think I Found The Reason Why We Have So Few New Players

61 replies to this topic

#1 Six-Pack

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 08:32 AM

Posted Image

Only 49% of Steam players finished the tutorial.
Only 38.5% of Steam players got their first victory ie played more than a few games.

Edited by Six-Pack, 24 November 2018 - 09:26 AM.

#2 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 08:53 AM

I dont get it...

#3 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 09:11 AM

View PostGrus, on 24 November 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

I dont get it...

I think he means only 49 percent finished the basic tutorial.

Possibly a lot of players didn’t do it after changing to the Steam platform though, as it probably only measures those who did it using the steam client?

#4 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 24 November 2018 - 09:20 AM

I went back and did the tutorial recently and it was pretty good.

Problem with MWO is the steep learning curve and the lack of documentation on game mechanics (plus many more reasons)

#5 Six-Pack

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 09:34 AM

View PostUnofficialOperator, on 24 November 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

Problem with MWO is the steep learning curve and the lack of documentation on game mechanics (plus many more reasons)

I'd personally add the atrocious UI that magnifies other problems: like the overcomplex mechbuilding, multiple battlemech variants per chassis etc.

#6 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 24 November 2018 - 09:40 AM

There is nothing complex about the mechlab. Perhaps it is beyond you.

#7 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 24 November 2018 - 09:47 AM

ADHD brats rather play shallow games like CoD, CS.GO, PUBG / **insert other popular generic shooter here**
Aside from that MWO still runs pretty bad on a lot of machines. It takes a lot of teamwork, heavily punishing mistakes. Community can be downright toxic in game. UI presents a ton of irrelevant info that makes things hella confusing if you're just starting out and trying to figure things out, especially in the mechlab. idk did I miss anything?

#8 Six-Pack

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:00 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 24 November 2018 - 09:40 AM, said:

There is nothing complex about the mechlab. Perhaps it is beyond you.

I get the hang of it but here are the problems that a new player faces:

1. Multiple mech variants. Sorta all the same but yet different, which one to buy? What if it's the underpowered one? *Omnimechs get around this problem.

2. Endo, Ferro, DHS. Have you seen the price on those? If you're not a machinegun carrier you're nothing without DHS - those cost 1.500.000 to upgrade to. What's the difference between Ferro and Endo? Which one to chose? Where can you see the amount of free empty slots? Turns out if you upgrade both IS Endo and IS Ferro on a Heavy/Assault you won't be able to fit anything meaningful due to slot limitations. Swapping back Ferro costs money.

3. Why are there over 60 distinct engines? Why do you have to pay 2/3 of a mech's price to simply swap the engine mere 5 rating more/less powerful? What's the difference between XL320 and XL325? Why XL280 is "better" than XL275 if you can't put it on your Hunchback?

4. Why does your PPC mounts automatically in the lower energy hardpoint? Is there a way to put it into the higher one?

5. How much DPS your build has? How much of it is sustainable? How many times you can alphastrike before you overheat?

There are lot's of bad things the game have intrinistically, and there are some brought forward by the UI. Overall it's too complex for a CoD/WoT kid to get the hang of it.

#9 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:49 AM

As Six-Pack said, it's one of the reasons why I keep posting so many questions that have surely been answered to death before. Another thing that's bad is the matchmaking. Actually, this is the worst. I could introduce some of the friends to this game but I can't play with them in the same team. Why? deploying as a group is a pain. More often than not, the matchmaking screws up the teams.

#10 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:50 AM

The base game lost control at inception. If the value proposition is IS vs. Clan for conquest and control of planets, the entire missed the point and never could recover.

They went the FPS route with Solaris and that didn't work. Then, the single player storyline like the games of old, MW5 and PGI is hoping "something sticks" to their "innovation wall"....

To quote a great storyteller: this dog won't hunt...

Now, that isn't to say someone with half an innovative mind couldn't change this mess........because, he/she could......the base value proposition is where we should be and this is a very valuable IP niche market.........

#11 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:55 AM

To be fair, a game like Mechwarrior is never going to have wide mass appeal unless we experience a significant cultural shift.

And heck, even in a game like Minecraft (one of the most widely played games in human history) the majority of players never even reach the Nether dimension.

#12 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:59 AM

View PostMaddermax, on 24 November 2018 - 09:11 AM, said:

I think he means only 49 percent finished the basic tutorial.

Possibly a lot of players didn’t do it after changing to the Steam platform though, as it probably only measures those who did it using the steam client?

I can confirm this is incorrect. I recently started using the Steam client and the first time I launched, all the "achievements" I got in my MWO career popped up in Steam, including the Tutorial one(s). Looks like it's retroactive.

#13 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 24 November 2018 - 11:30 AM

View PostSix-Pack, on 24 November 2018 - 08:32 AM, said:

Only 49% of Steam players finished the tutorial.

View PostW A R K H A N, on 24 November 2018 - 09:47 AM, said:

ADHD brats rather play shallow games like CoD, CS.GO, PUBG / **insert other popular generic shooter here**

Truth.

If you want greater access for new players you need to dumb the game down so the casual pick-up-and-play crowd can play using the minimum amount of braincells. It also enable greater player retention as the player base can come and go without having to relearn "complicated" mechanics.

In short, what we would need is M3chAssault. Minimum depth, maximum accessibility, power-ups and explosions everywhere!

#14 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 11:50 AM

LOL yea because elitism is the solution.

Why is everyone confusing poor quality of life, bad UI, and unexplained game mechanics for "Hurrrr MWO is fer us smarty pants folks!"

No, MWO since day 1 has been a kick in the balls of anyone accustomed to a streamlined user experience in a game. That doesnt have anything to do with people playing Call of Duty. If anything, it should be a testament to a complex game that it introduces its concepts in a way that even the layman will intuitively absorb and learn how to play and enjoy themselves. MWO has, naturally, kept things minimally viable.

#15 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 12:20 PM

Love it when people complain about this game's learning curve and how complicated it is...

**Stares at his EvE Online account...

#16 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 November 2018 - 12:37 PM

View PostUnofficialOperator, on 24 November 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

Yes the tutorial is very good but the real reason Most new players quit is very obvious they go into QP and die a thousand deaths and never get a kill they totally get stomped to death until they just uninstall back in closed beta we understood the what was going on with player retention we all tried to tell PGI and the Devs the system was not working and offered many great solutions for player retention and guess what we all got?

The finger by PGI and the devs so they get what they deserve a dead game.

P.S and FP was even worse thousands tried it and were rolled so hard by premade teams they said FU were not playing it again

Edited by KingCobra, 24 November 2018 - 12:38 PM.

#17 IronWatch

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:39 PM

View PostKingCobra, on 24 November 2018 - 12:37 PM, said:

Yes the tutorial is very good but the real reason Most new players quit is very obvious they go into QP and die a thousand deaths and never get a kill they totally get stomped to death until they just uninstall back in closed beta we understood the what was going on with player retention we all tried to tell PGI and the Devs the system was not working and offered many great solutions for player retention and guess what we all got?

The finger by PGI and the devs so they get what they deserve a dead game.

P.S and FP was even worse thousands tried it and were rolled so hard by premade teams they said FU were not playing it again

Thats adorable but I dont think thats the inherent problem. Compared to similar vehicle based PvP games I think MWO does a good job of getting players started, the forums are where enthusiasm goes to die. In-game I meet other fresh players all the time and they've got good attitudes.

#18 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:49 PM

View PostGrus, on 24 November 2018 - 12:20 PM, said:

Love it when people complain about this game's learning curve and how complicated it is...

**Stares at his EvE Online account...

Ever play Carnage Heart on playstation? That one still holds the record for me, the only way to actually make a game more complicated is to write the code for it.

#19 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:59 PM

Coming from someone that has only really started playing this year...

The biggest turnoff for me was that I could not really play with my friends. A friend got me into the game again because he had been playing since beta. I know a number of other people I have known for years play this game on and off, but I have yet to play a single game with any of them. Because group play is just plain dead a lot of the time and there is no way to keep the uber players from encountering the noobs.

Games are successful if they are social. Multiplayer games fail when people can no longer play together with their friends. Playing with friends will give even average games a life much beyond what is expected, while people give up on great games just because their friends no longer have the time to play.

What this game needs is to improve the social aspect and allow the community to create content. I do not mean maps or mechs, but tournaments, quests, competitions.

Give out titles for that. Like the 2018 King Crab World Champion or whatever. Surely it cannot be that hard to code in some more titles, etc.

#20 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 24 November 2018 - 02:11 PM

I blame pgi for their poor implementation of things and their focus of making the game just another minimal viable product only able to survive off its ip name and having to do the pokemech route. Years of data here for them to mine as well as a lot of people able to create assets, many willing to do it for free, just given creator credit go unused.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users