Super Low Fps Pls Help

19 replies to this topic

#1 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:46 AM

I will be building a new machine for my kids and maybe one for me but until I can get all the parts together I’d like some help getting the most out of what I have. Anything I buy for this machine needs to work for a future machine (good example would be replacing my regular HDD with SSD, this is already planned)

My situation: still getting very low FPS on all maps. I mean I’m very happy if I hit 20 FPS at any time in game (I’m not often happy). I recently replaced my GPU because it seemed to be a bottleneck. FPS improved from 8-15 to 15-20 but I still get drops where the game freezes and I see like <4FPS.
I have not done anything with user.cfg etc. every single setting is on low or off and I’m running native resolution. (1920 x 1084 i think)

My current system
AMD fx 8320 stock speed 3.5GHz
Asrock 990fx extreme9 mobo (so overclocking is available)
8 Gigs DDR3 ram (2x4) gskill sniper 1866
Radeon rx580 (recently replaced my old 7970)
Good quality 1TB regular HDD 7200 rpm 64mb cache

I have been reading up on overclocking and I think Im ready to try it. My cpu and mobo are supposed to be OC friendly too, but is it worth it? Will I see much performance gain? Yes if I do this Im getting a water cooler (looking at a corsair H100i since it is agood enough cooler i should be able to bring it with when I finally build a new machine)

So any advice on how to get the most out of this old war horse?
Seriously I’d be happy with mid 20’s FPS as long as it runs smoothly

Edited by Flying Blind, 03 December 2018 - 12:53 AM.

#2 zzoxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationGermany - Eifel

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:18 AM

What about loading times? Do you experience lenghty loading screens? And has your rig always performed that bad or has it been getting worse at some point in time?
I'm asking bc i had an epidose last year (ridiculous frames, lenghty loading times) and upgraded my GPU. But the problem was the Windows 7 file Index managment, it choked my SSD completely. I accidentially noticed it watching my SSD performance while playing. Switched it off, problem solved, bought the new GPU for nothing. AND i destroyed my Board switching the GPU, ripping the slot off the board Posted Image.

#3 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:20 AM

Unless you're trying to push out 4k video,15-20fps sounds low for your setup to me.

https://old.reddit.c...68res5/help_me/ This guy with less hardware then you is saying he gets 30fps with low setting.

Do you have up to date pcie drivers? Saw a post not long ago about a guy who hit the video card low speed switch on his mboard.

If i was you i would download a video card benchmark program and see if you're getting what you should be getting.

If after this then yes i would OC that cpu. You should be able to push it 10% without increasing voltage or adding cooling. If you find the 10% does increase the fps but you need more you can move from there.

I have about the same cooler as you plan on getting i been happy with mine.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 03 December 2018 - 01:21 AM.

#4 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:29 AM

Zzoxx, yes to all those problems but slow load never bothered me too much because I’m patient bu nature but yes my machine was significantly better and nose dived sometime around 1.5 to 2 years ago and then slowly got worse what you describe sounds very much like what I see but I dont know how to turn that off in Win7 got a link for a how2?

Monkey, I’m definitely not trying to push 4k
I just wiped my HDD and reinstalled Windows and did massive driver updates so I think i am up to date on like everything
What’s your fav benchmark prog?

#5 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:40 AM

MWO has some settings that can bring even the most powerful machines to it's knees when on highest quality.

The most prominent is particle quality, you should try setting that to low. Anything higher than medium will probably kill your FPS regardless of how much money you put into your rig.
Shadows are less bad than particles, but medium is much more performant while still looking good.
Last but not least try different antialiasing-methods, some are faster than others. For me FXAA works best.

This way i was able to run MWO with about 50-60 fps on my almost 6-year old rig:
Core i5 3570k (not overclocked)
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 OC

I recently upgraded my GPU to a Geforce 1070, but guess what: I still can't set particles and shadows to anything higher than medium without my fps dropping from 60 to 30. It's really that bad. Posted Image

Edited by Daggett, 03 December 2018 - 01:46 AM.

#6 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:46 AM

View PostFlying Blind, on 03 December 2018 - 01:29 AM, said:

I just wiped my HDD and reinstalled Windows and did massive driver updates so I think i am up to date on like everything

If the benchmark shows something weird make sure you try chip set manufacture drivers at the very least use drivers from the mainboard (asrock) website. MS drivers are "good" and stable but not always the best.

For benchmark i always just pick the one what ever website im using. You need a reference point

https://www.videocar...+RX+560&id=3708

for example this is 3dmark benchmark so i would use it. I think 3dmark is pay only but you can find another website with a "rx580 review and benchmark" using a free program.

#7 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:04 AM

Ok I’ll see about getting drivers from my mobo site and look around for some benchmarking stuff

Daggett, man i have every setting at lowest possible. If it can be turned off it’s off otherwise it’s lowest of low

I’m hoping someone like Narc Bait will come along and point me to some info about .cfg file setting that may help and other system tricks

#8 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:36 AM

So everything has been reset to Windows default settings.

1. Power Options - set to High Performance
2. Nvidia control panel - Power Management mode - set to Max/Best Performance
3. Disable Xbox DVR

As for Windows doing driver updates.. at times that can fubar things. Make sure to reboot the computer.

On OC, you would see the most gains with the CPU OC, and should be OC to 4.0 without any voltage increase but lets stick with the basics first.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 03 December 2018 - 04:19 AM.

#9 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:02 AM

Thanks Tarl, did 1 right away
#2 is gonna be hard on an AMD GPU but I’ll look for something similar
I have no idea what #3 is I’ll look that up

Machine has been rebooted several times but once more wont hurt

#10 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:21 AM

My bad about the Nvidia power management mode. AMD does not have one so no worries there. I believe the important item on the AMD control panel is upping the Fan minimum limit, at least it is on the system I have with a Fury in it.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 03 December 2018 - 04:22 AM.

#11 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:30 AM

Ok i have looked at it but did not know what to change

#12 zzoxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationGermany - Eifel

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:20 AM

View PostFlying Blind, on 03 December 2018 - 01:29 AM, said:

Zzoxx, yes to all those problems but slow load never bothered me too much because I’m patient bu nature but yes my machine was significantly better and nose dived sometime around 1.5 to 2 years ago and then slowly got worse what you describe sounds very much like what I see but I dont know how to turn that off in Win7 got a link for a how2?

I don't know if your HDD offers the same Windows 7 tweaking options like my SSD does, but i guess so. I'm german but i looked up a tutorial in english for you, that includes everything that solved my problem.

https://www.disk-par...windows7-2.html

Most important is to turn off Disk indexing, defrag and system protection for the drive you installed MWO on. Hope it helps.

EDIT: I forgot: You can check if your HDD has that kind of problem before you maybe wanna change the mentioned settings. To do so i ran MWO in windowed mode and had the Windows resource monitor open simultaneously. Disk activity > highest active time was always around 100% in my case wich caused the whole mess.

https://www.google.d...Q9QEwAHoECAYQBg

Open the Start Menu and go to "All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools ->Resource Monitor". If you prefer using your keyboard, press Ctrl-Shift-Esc or Ctrl-Alt-Del. This action will open the Task Manager. Inside it, go to the Performance tab and click on the Resource Monitor button.

Maybe you wanna check this out too:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-use-resource-monitor-windows-7

Edited by zzoxx, 03 December 2018 - 06:54 AM.

#13 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:24 AM

View PostFlying Blind, on 03 December 2018 - 12:46 AM, said:

My current system

Sounds weird because I think my system is worse and I pull 60 fps to 100 fps on all low settings.

Intel i7 3770k 3.5ghz
G1.sniper M3 mobo
geforce 560Ti 2gb
8gb ram

Maybe check your power? If you don't have enough power, you can't drive your setup.

Anyway its worrying to me because I am going for the 580 as well. Hope its not the 580 being the issue.

#14 Pelmeshek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationRussia

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:33 AM

View PostFlying Blind, on 03 December 2018 - 12:46 AM, said:

I will be building a new machine for my kids and maybe one for me but until I can get all the parts together I’d like some help getting the most out of what I have. Anything I buy for this machine needs to work for a future machine (good example would be replacing my regular HDD with SSD, this is already planned)

My situation: still getting very low FPS on all maps. I mean I’m very happy if I hit 20 FPS at any time in game (I’m not often happy). I recently replaced my GPU because it seemed to be a bottleneck. FPS improved from 8-15 to 15-20 but I still get drops where the game freezes and I see like <4FPS.
I have not done anything with user.cfg etc. every single setting is on low or off and I’m running native resolution. (1920 x 1084 i think)

My current system

I have been reading up on overclocking and I think Im ready to try it. My cpu and mobo are supposed to be OC friendly too, but is it worth it? Will I see much performance gain? Yes if I do this Im getting a water cooler (looking at a corsair H100i since it is agood enough cooler i should be able to bring it with when I finally build a new machine)

So any advice on how to get the most out of this old war horse?
Seriously I’d be happy with mid 20’s FPS as long as it runs smoothly

Fx8300@4.5 here with 1080 and 1440p res. All maps >50 fps expect solaris city(30-60 with some drops to 20). So just OC u FX and all be fine.

#15 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:21 PM

Edit and placed at top!!!!

Have you opened up your case and ensured all the heatsinks ( computer, not mechs) are cleared of any dust buildup and that they are all actually rotating? I was thinking about my nephew's system, which has both AMD fx 8350 and AMD Radeon 7950.

The OE CPU fan was a pita to clean, requiring removal of the heatsink to clean it thoroughly. The first time, after removing it from the cpu it took about 15 minutes to clean out the build-up dust that was caked on. Did some research and ended up replacing it with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. That setup has made it so much easier for him to clean. He has had that cooler for 2 years now and I have not been needed to disassemble and clean it. It literally saved his computer.. and him..... from me.. Posted Image

----------------------------------------------------

What difference did you see with changing your system's Power Option to High Performance?

Also, do you have Antialiasing disabled in game?

What settings are you using in the AMD control panel?

Disabling XBox DVR -

Open Xbox app, you can access it via the start menu search.

Sign in – this should be automatic if you normal sign into Windows.

The cog in the bottom left access the settings menu.

Head to GameDVR at the top and turn it off.

Fan control - For my back up and my nephew's systems with AMD GPU, raising the minimum fan RPM helped prevent heat build up that was happening before the fan speed would increase.

https://www.amd.com/...t/kb/faq/dh-020

Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 03 December 2018 - 05:35 PM.

#16 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:54 PM

Issue is resolved.

I've never done any overclocking so I didn't run the system monitoring programs until now. as I was trying to do my first gentle overclock to see if that would help I noticed that my CPU multiplier kept dropping really low. like down to 7 when it should be 17.5 stock. took me a few minutes to realize that my CPU was too hot and was dropping down to try and keep cool. I thought I had cleaned the CPU heat sink out good but when I looked really close I saw that while the dust right under the fan got cleaned out there was a really thick layer of sticky dust down deep in the radiator down close to the chip. I had to remove the cooling unit to get in there and clean it out. Luckily I had a fresh tube of thermal paste left over from my last build.

now that the CPU is running at proper temps and stock speed my frame rates have jumped up to about 50 FPS in most situations and only really dropping to mid 20's during the roughest of fights on tough maps and the total freeze ups are gone entirely. the game is once again playable and fun.

Tomorrow I'm getting a water cooler for it then I'm gonna over clock it some and see how good I can get it.

thanks for all your help guys.

#17 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for following up on the resolution, as this really helps others! Glad you got it sorted out (and you didn't need to buy new gear).

#18 MasterGoa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:41 AM

Also try this:

Turn off Anti Aliasing in game, let your RX do it the best possible way.

I actually have an RX480 with an 8350 and can do 35-60 FPS in 1440P...

#19 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:23 AM

Larsh made a customized config file that can help with performance a bit:

Edited by Horseman, 20 February 2019 - 02:53 AM.

#20 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:13 AM

The OP issue, which he replied back was his CPU was running hot/overheating due to dust buildup at the bottom of the heatsink. I had replaced the stock heatsink/fan with Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo on my nephew's AMD for the same reason, it was a royal pain in both checking and actually getting any buildup removed from the heatsink.

I thought I had cleaned the CPU heat sink out good but when I looked really close I saw that while the dust right under the fan got cleaned out there was a really thick layer of sticky dust down deep in the radiator down close to the chip. I had to remove the cooling unit to get in there and clean it out. Luckily I had a fresh tube of thermal paste left over from my last build.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users