How To Deal With "op" Mechs/weapons (Guide)

Guide

30 replies to this topic

#21 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:57 AM

View Postadmiralbenbow123, on 01 January 2019 - 09:23 AM, said:

While reading through forums I have seen many comments like: "this mech is super OP", "this weapon combo is so powerful", "I keep getting killed by this and that, PGI pls nerf" etc. So, I decided to make a guide where I`ll tell you how to deal with all of those "OP" mechs and weapons/weapon combos.
Here are some of them:

LRMs and LRM boats
Spoiler

Piranhas
Spoiler

2x Heavy gauss
Spoiler

I hope this guide will help you and wish you good luck and lots of fun on the battlefield!Posted Image
-admiralbenbow123

Note: I will update this guide as new "OP" mechs and weapon combos appear. If you have any suggestions, feel free to post them below.

Now if only Newbies (and some noobs, seeing as they do exist) would be willing to come into the forums and read these guides and such... That's a good guide that you've written! ^_^

Maybe then PGI might finally get the point about needing to increase the Baseline Armor/Structure of ALL the Mechs in the game. They really need to stop thinking they have to keep using that unwanted Nerf Bat which should never have been used as much as it has been. :unsure:

~D. V. "just not getting why PGI won't use that one solution to fix a lot of things" Devnull

#22 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:19 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 20 January 2019 - 07:57 AM, said:

Maybe then PGI might finally get the point about needing to increase the Baseline Armor/Structure of ALL the Mechs in the game.

You do know that they have already bumped up health across all mechs (once) to double their initial values? Oh, and they have been slowly raising most mech's health up through quirks.

Though, I'm not exactly in disagreement, but the health issue is only in part the high alpha/damage values we can get in the game, the other part is pin point convergence. If doing certain actions decreased accuracy (such as running, jumping, high heat values, etc) and spread damage across targets (unless intentionally opening oneself up to a counter attack via standing still/moving slower, being less evasive, or controlling one's heat far more than they tend to in this game). BUT, if you do this, then the "skillful" crowd chimes in how it would remove skill from the game and make it more random luck. (And there would be some cons to this system of course, as well as pros.)

There are many potential paths to get the desired result. It's a matter of playing the pros vs the cons of every decision.

#23 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:25 AM

3)Heavy Gauss rifles take the longest ammount of time to charge up before firing and take a long time to cool down.
So, if you don`t want to get killed by assaults that are carrying this weapon combo, make sure that you don`t stand in front of one for too long. If you see one of them as you go around a corner you should instantly twist your torso and quickly go back behind cover before they charge up their Gauss rifles and shoot you, also try to reposition since you are definetly faster than they are.
Heavy Gauss has the same cooldown and charge time as normal Gauss, actually.

https://mwomercs.com...apons/1057.json
https://mwomercs.com...apons/1021.json

#24 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:02 AM

View PostHorseman, on 21 January 2019 - 01:25 AM, said:

Heavy Gauss has the same cooldown and charge time as normal Gauss, actually.

https://mwomercs.com...apons/1057.json
https://mwomercs.com...apons/1021.json

All fixed now. Thanks!

#25 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 22 January 2019 - 12:53 AM

I hope this guide will help you and wish you good luck and lots of fun on the battlefield!

A simple, relevant guide well suited for new players.

Just to add my 2 cents.
- LRM Boats (can't 'peek'): Hug cover. Break lock. Shoot it.
- Piranhas (can't crit unless open structure): Back against the wall. Shoot it.
- Dual Heavy Gauss (slow): Get out of its frontal arc. Shoot it.
I can't stress this far enough. Powerful offensive mechs die just the same way. Sometimes far easier actually. But only as long as you shoot them instead of running away.

Also - spatial awareness.
- LRMs are no threat if you know the general direction they'll be coming from and plan ahead to have cover from that direction.
- Piranhas are no threat unless you allow them to sneak up from behind. They literally die after one-two good shots. And all the MGs are quite useless unless they shoot open structure and only force the mech using them to facetank too much.
- Dual Heavy Gauss mechs are super slow. Spot them early and either focus them down early or at least take note where they are headed. Attack from the rear. Even a tiny alpha from a light or one well-placed PPC can crit a Heavy Gauss given thin rear armor.

Edit:grammar

Edited by PhoenixFire55, 22 January 2019 - 01:00 AM.

#26 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 22 January 2019 - 12:59 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 19 January 2019 - 06:57 PM, said:

Two things I feel should be pointed out here (pardon the late response; missed the initial exchange.) First, host-state rewind should account for packet loss and the like; that's literally the point of HSW, and the netcode in general.

HSR and 'netcode in general' has nothing to do with and in fact can do nothing about packet loss.

Second, it is very important in situations like this to remember something important about host-state rewind - it doesn't propagate to spectation.

It does. When you spectate someone and he misses by a mile on your screen due to combined latencies, the crosshair still flashes red if he actually hits on his screen. You can obviously observe a targeted mech paperdoll as well.

#27 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:02 AM

ah.... the Piranha, reminds me of the good old days of the 12 SPL builds before people b**ch and moan about something with only 100m+ range enough for PGI to give it the nerf bat.

let's see how long the Piranha lasts

#28 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 January 2019 - 01:59 PM

Second, it is very important in situations like this to remember something important about host-state rewind - it doesn't propagate to spectation. More precisely, his host-state rewind doesn't propagate. What I mean by this is that if I die in a pyre of shame at the start of the match and watch you for the match, what you see will be off from what I see.

It never ceases to amaze me when I see people correct me and then explain in their correction that I am right. Every time I start to become jaded, the child-like wonder of the universe breaks through.

#29 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:50 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 22 January 2019 - 12:53 AM, said:

A simple, relevant guide well suited for new players.

Just to add my 2 cents.
- LRM Boats (can't 'peek'): Hug cover. Break lock. Shoot it.
- Piranhas (can't crit unless open structure): Back against the wall. Shoot it.
- Dual Heavy Gauss (slow): Get out of its frontal arc. Shoot it.
I can't stress this far enough. Powerful offensive mechs die just the same way. Sometimes far easier actually. But only as long as you shoot them instead of running away.

Also - spatial awareness.
- LRMs are no threat if you know the general direction they'll be coming from and plan ahead to have cover from that direction.
- Piranhas are no threat unless you allow them to sneak up from behind. They literally die after one-two good shots. And all the MGs are quite useless unless they shoot open structure and only force the mech using them to facetank too much.
- Dual Heavy Gauss mechs are super slow. Spot them early and either focus them down early or at least take note where they are headed. Attack from the rear. Even a tiny alpha from a light or one well-placed PPC can crit a Heavy Gauss given thin rear armor.

Edit:grammar

I've just updated the guide. Thank you for your advice and sorry for the delay.

#30 Princeps Ibram Cain

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:55 AM

This weekend a lot of Piranhas fest with my assaults, so i put in practice the most logic tactic: I bought a Piranha.

Damn that little guys are fun.

Edited by Princeps Ibram Cain, 04 March 2019 - 11:55 AM.

#31 Lolzaurus Rex

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:41 PM

Late to the party but I'll chime in nonetheless - I'm a piranha pilot at times.

My favorite targets are LRM boats and whatever mechs like to stand still in the rear guard. Especially those who don't take notice their neighboor mysteriously disappeared from the map 15 seconds ago and let me cool off that 90% heat alpha.

I dislike pilots who stick together, they make it hard to get free kills. Those who look around and over their shoulders randomly every 10-15 seconds are also very annoying.

What I really hate though, is pilots who invest in seismic sensor and turn around right before I melt their sweet sweet back armor. Ah, and those who spot me from a distance, but rather than chase the squirrel pretend not to see me and let me get real close until suddenly their whole team comes crashing on me. Really ruins my day.

Edited by Lolzaurus Rex, 15 September 2019 - 06:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users