Show Numeric Heat Scale Above 100%

10 replies to this topic

Poll: Heat Scale Display (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Should heat scale number display greater than 100%?

1. Yes (23 votes [88.46%])

Percentage of vote: 88.46%

2. No (1 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

3. Other (2 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Maxx Blue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:18 PM

With the new heat mechanics for destroyed engine slots and heatsinks, I think it would be helpful if the numeric display of a mechs heat percentage was not capped at 100%. I don't need the bar representation to change, but it would be nice to know if I am at 102% heat, or 200% heat after I lose a side torso. I've had a few instances where I lost heatsinks or a side torso and didn't bother canceling override because I thought I was close to cooling off below 100%...and then I blew up.

When I overheat by firing weapons, I generally have a good idea what percentage of heat I am adding, and whether I am just going to overheat a tiny bit, or go way over. When it comes to loosing heatsinks or side torsos, I'm finding it difficult to gauge just how much over the heat threshold I will end up. I would find it helpful if the numeric percentage displayed above the heat bar went over 100%, as this would give me a way to gauge whether I need to shut down, or if I want to risk staying powered up and taking structure damage while over 100% heat.

What do you think?

#2 MechTech Dragoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:19 PM

I've suggested this a couple times in the past.
For some reason people thought it was overcomplicated?
Good luck :)

#3 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:39 PM

lol maybe once mwo 5 is done if that ever happens

#4 Maxx Blue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:06 AM

You wouldn't think it is a huge deal to implement. The number in that space already supports three digits, so it shouldn't require any UI work. I'm sure the math that is calculating that value starts by calculating the real percentage, and then caps it if it is over 100%. It is probably a single if() statement at worst. Just change that to cap at 999% instead and you are good to go.

Heck, even if it is being calculated server-side and then sent over to the client packed into some sort of data structure, then it should at LEAST be able to show up to 127% without changing the number of bytes being sent. You need at least 7 bits to show a number that ranges from 0-100 (assuming unsigned integer), and 7 bits would let you go all the way from 0 to 127. Honestly, even that would probably be good enough for me. I really just need to know if I am four or five percent over or WAAAY over. If I'm over 127% heat, I'm going to cancel override and shut down. Actually, I'm probably going to cancel shutdown before I make it to 110%!

I can see why this may not have gotten much interest previously. When it was just weapons generating heat, I had a very good idea how much heat I was going to add by firing different weapon groups. I do NOT have a good idea how much heat is going to be added when I loose a heatsink or side torso. Part of the reason why is that most of the time when I loose one, I'm already close to max heat so it instantly jumps over 100% and I really don't know how far up it went. Since I don't know how hot I got, I can't really learn from that and adjust in the future.

#5 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:04 AM

the actual act of altering the GUI code to allow this is not the hard part. a game company can't just go home and alter a few lines of code like an independent working on a hobby game.

#6 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:41 AM

Hello there, everyone. I voted a big "Yes" just yesterday, but I forgot to post. Shame on me, eh? :(

As noted above, not knowing how far over you've gone when firing leaves a constant question in one's mind as to when their Mech will cool off, as well as how long that will take. Sometimes, you just don't have the choice of your Mech being shut down or not, because you have to get moved out of the way. If the Mech starts breaking, it takes even longer. It would be rather nice for that matter if there was an extra overlay added on top of a maxed-out 100% meter, as to indicate how bad of an Overheat that has happened. If your Mech does lose Components and you're not on a Standard Engine, things get way worse because PGI has over-pumped the penalty against your Mech's cooling. In some cases, you'll simply never cool down and will die for certain, no matter whether Override is on or not. It would also be nice to know if the situation is so bad that you just need to get off a last shot or two before you go down, but right now there's no way to even know that. Bottom-line, a lot of people are not going to want to just sit there being hammered on and killed because of an Overheat, be it even so little as slight. :huh:

Anyway, mark me down as most definitely being in SUPPORT of this idea! :D

~D. V. "definitely seeing beyond enough reason that Heat Meter Enhancements should have already happened" Devnull

#7 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:10 PM

I want PGI to drop the percentage all together. Show the numbers on the heat cap/scale then have the max bar drop down on teh heatscale when HS are destroyed and/or ST are lost instead of keeping/showing it at that 100%...

#8 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:24 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 11 February 2019 - 07:10 PM, said:

I want PGI to drop the percentage all together. Show the numbers on the heat cap/scale then have the max bar drop down on teh heatscale when HS are destroyed and/or ST are lost instead of keeping/showing it at that 100%...

Heck, PGI could go so far as to show both the Percentage AND the Actual Heat Level (including Safe Maximum) Numbers on the HUD at the same time. That way, those who want the info one way or the other can have it, and those who want both get it as well. :)

~D. V. "Instead of taking away, how does being additive sound?" Devnull

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:18 PM

I want to have either both or an option to switch.

#10 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:00 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 11 February 2019 - 07:10 PM, said:

Hi there again, Tarl Cabot... Given my earlier response...

View PostD V Devnull, on 19 February 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

Heck, PGI could go so far as to show both the Percentage AND the Actual Heat Level (including Safe Maximum) Numbers on the HUD at the same time. That way, those who want the info one way or the other can have it, and those who want both get it as well. Posted Image

~D. V. "Instead of taking away, how does being additive sound?" Devnull

...and then Koniving's follow-up after that...

View PostKoniving, on 19 February 2019 - 04:18 PM, said:

I want to have either both or an option to switch.

...what do you think of changing your Vote into one that Supports this particular Thread's Idea? It does not have to be just one particular thing or way. It could be toggleable between any of the several possible states that could be displayed with this addition, including a "Display Both" and/or "No Text" Modes. ^_^

~Mr. D. V. "Many options are possible with this idea. Will you help us make it work?" Devnull

#11 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:06 AM

Voted yes, because HSOK Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users