Bishop Needs Our Help

58 replies to this topic

#21 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,096 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:45 PM

View PostVxheous, on 15 January 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

Nah, I know a high functioning asperger, guy's a physician. Socially inept yes, says some really strange things at weird times, but he's still high functioning.

Aside from being touchy with Identity Politics, I'm not really that concerned nor my intention to question his high-functioning.

On another note, sorry for picking on your Dire Wolf on HPG with the flea last match.

That's really not much damage really. In fact the real strength of the UV is with it's range, which i can't really utilize well in HPG.

#22 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:41 PM

Ok... I see the boards have changed greatly since I was last here. I'm sorry I bothered you. Those who gave a respectful decline I'm cool with that. The rest, well pray you never have to ask for help. Karma has a way... Have a good evening.

#23 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,907 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:57 PM

want to help? pay your taxes and dont vote for anyone who wants to take my food stamps and subsidized housing away. lest i resort to prostitution and absconding with your stuff.

#24 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:39 PM

I'm sure at heart he's a decent guy, but Bishop hasn't always been the nicest person to deal with on the forums. I do hope he gets the help he needs and gets his life back in order, but I can't afford to help personally, and I'm sure some of his posts have rubbed more than a few people the wrong way. I'm generally pretty abrasive myself, so I do feel for the dude- it's not always something that's controllable in the moment.

There was no harm in asking and putting it out there Joe, don't take it so hard, everyone on the forums has friends and enemies both, you had to know there'd be mixed reactions, especially from those of us who have been around a long time. As I said, I genuinely hope for the best for him, any differences I had with him years ago aside. Life can really throw you under the bus sometimes and there's nothing wrong with reaching out and asking for help back to your feet.

#25 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:57 AM

I am truly sorry to hear about Bishop.

#26 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:45 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 15 January 2019 - 05:45 PM, said:

That's really not much damage really. In fact the real strength of the UV is with it's range, which i can't really utilize well in HPG.

Whaaat basecamp! Like MRBC used to play in that map when there was "most damage dealt team wins a draw" super fun and specially good for streaming

edit: typo

Edited by Curccu, 16 January 2019 - 03:45 AM.

#27 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:55 AM

View PostKodyn, on 15 January 2019 - 09:39 PM, said:

I'm sure at heart he's a decent guy, but Bishop hasn't always been the nicest person to deal with on the forums. I do hope he gets the help he needs and gets his life back in order, but I can't afford to help personally, and I'm sure some of his posts have rubbed more than a few people the wrong way. I'm generally pretty abrasive myself, so I do feel for the dude- it's not always something that's controllable in the moment.

There was no harm in asking and putting it out there Joe, don't take it so hard, everyone on the forums has friends and enemies both, you had to know there'd be mixed reactions, especially from those of us who have been around a long time. As I said, I genuinely hope for the best for him, any differences I had with him years ago aside. Life can really throw you under the bus sometimes and there's nothing wrong with reaching out and asking for help back to your feet.

None of us is exempt from being hard to get along with! Take me for instance! Also your responses were more in line with the "It's cool" attitude. You gave a respectful reply, I'm good with that. Nobody here has to do anything, I just wasn't expecting the **********, I should have, but I've been away for a while and forgot.

View PostLordNothing, on 15 January 2019 - 08:57 PM, said:

want to help? pay your taxes and dont vote for anyone who wants to take my food stamps and subsidized housing away. lest i resort to prostitution and absconding with your stuff.

I pay my taxes and I didn't vote for... Whoever you think I did. ;)

#28 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:06 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 16 January 2019 - 03:55 AM, said:

None of us is exempt from being hard to get along with! Take me for instance! Also your responses were more in line with the "It's cool" attitude. You gave a respectful reply, I'm good with that. Nobody here has to do anything, I just wasn't expecting the **********, I should have, but I've been away for a while and forgot.

I'm not sure why you would expect anything less. You're begging for money for a user who's fairly unpopular with a lot of people, who's begged before, on a website that's known for it's soft scams (GoFundMe, not MWOmercs.com). And you posted this request after the requested funding was already achieved.

Regardless of any personal feelings I have, this is exactly the kind of responses I would have expected coming in here.

Unrelated, and on a technical note, isn't attempting to bypass GoFundMe's donation system in favor of direct PayPal deposit a violation of Terms of Service? I can't seem to find the rules for the site so I don't know.

#29 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:07 AM

Nah, I know a high functioning asperger, guy's a physician. Socially inept yes, says some really strange things at weird times, but he's still high functioning.

On another note, sorry for picking on your Dire Wolf on HPG with the flea last match.

Not all High functioning is the same. Your physician friend, Satoshi Tajiri and Dan Aykroyd are not the same as Bishop or my son or each other. Autism literally is different person to person.

#30 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:15 AM

View PostBombast, on 16 January 2019 - 04:06 AM, said:

I'm not sure why you would expect anything less. You're begging for money for a user who's fairly unpopular with a lot of people, who's begged before, on a website that's known for it's soft scams (GoFundMe, not MWOmercs.com). And you posted this request after the requested funding was already achieved.

Regardless of any personal feelings I have, this is exactly the kind of responses I would have expected coming in here.

Unrelated, and on a technical note, isn't attempting to bypass GoFundMe's donation system in favor of direct PayPal deposit a violation of Terms of Service? I can't seem to find the rules for the site so I don't know.

Don't know. I never used GoFundMe. I posted it cause he's a friend, This community has done awesome things in the past. Those who don't like him don't have to donate, those who do like him don't have to either, but those who may be willing, can. And is it wrong to see if the request can be exceeded? After all its charity we are offering. When I have needed help my friends offered more than I needed, I was grateful. Thanks for reading Bom.

#31 Lethe Wyvern

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 489 posts
  • LocationRCW

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:21 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 15 January 2019 - 03:37 PM, said:

I thought this alberta:

Posted Image

GrandCross like!

#32 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:23 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 16 January 2019 - 04:15 AM, said:

Don't know. I never used GoFundMe. I posted it cause he's a friend, This community has done awesome things in the past. Those who don't like him don't have to donate, those who do like him don't have to either, but those who may be willing, can. And is it wrong to see if the request can be exceeded? After all its charity we are offering. When I have needed help my friends offered more than I needed, I was grateful. Thanks for reading Bom.

I'm not trying to say you shouldn't want to help Bishop out, or not post it. It just seems strange to not expect a little push back.

As for GoFundMe itself, probably the most recent 'soft-scam' to hit the papers was the Wall GoFundMe, where a guy pimped out his veteran, Purple Heart'd self asking for an outrageous amount of money to donate to the Federal Government for the Wall with the promise that if it wasn't reached, it would be refunded. He then edited his request, took out the refund clause and changed his goal to starting a Non-Profit he'd be the boss of with the money he got. GoFundMe ended up stepping in, and everything will be refunded in a few weeks, unless the donators agree to the new terms.

That's the kind of thing that makes people really suspicious of this online funding thing, GoFundMe in particular.

Edited by Bombast, 16 January 2019 - 04:24 AM.

#33 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:43 AM

If you don't ask, you don't get. I don't care if he does it yearly. the dude needs a little help and I'm able. So I did. Rest of you, don't lie the guy? Keep it quiet. No one needs negative hate posting about something like this.
I've been in a slightly worse situation than him in the past. both parents died, lost my job, no food-no money and a room i couldn't pay for with debts as a result of caring for 2 terminally ill parents of around $45k.
I'm not proud of it, but I survived on charity myself.
One of humanity's best features is empathy and kindness. some of you would do well to heed that.

#34 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:45 AM

I'll be honest and say I don't like Bishop at all as a forum poster, I think he's been extremely toxic most of the time actually.

But I also know autism and poverty can be rough as **** to deal with and I don't think there is anything wrong with him reaching out for help, and I don't think anyone should be scorned or ridiculed for doing that.

I don't help random individuals with money as I'v prioritized my charity efforts towards helping refugees here in Sweden and working for human rights issues in general, but I wish Bishop all the best and I hope he get's back on his feet.

#35 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:37 AM

View PostJon Gotham, on 16 January 2019 - 05:43 AM, said:

If you don't ask, you don't get. I don't care if he does it yearly. the dude needs a little help and I'm able. So I did. Rest of you, don't lie the guy? Keep it quiet. No one needs negative hate posting about something like this.
I've been in a slightly worse situation than him in the past. both parents died, lost my job, no food-no money and a room i couldn't pay for with debts as a result of caring for 2 terminally ill parents of around $45k.
I'm not proud of it, but I survived on charity myself.
One of humanity's best features is empathy and kindness. some of you would do well to heed that.

Ye, because everyone on the internet tells you a true story. You think people wont exploit your pity? Think again.

#36 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,907 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:22 AM

i have nothing against bishop, he inspired one of my favorite urbie varients and ive enjoyed his artwork. but im not in much better of a situation myself. but im not asking for money because of it.

#37 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:43 AM

View PostKotzi, on 16 January 2019 - 07:37 AM, said:

Ye, because everyone on the internet tells you a true story. You think people wont exploit your pity? Think again.

I know a couple who recently got over 5000 dollars off of GoFundMe. They had a friend post their story - They lived in Paradise, California, and their house burned down. They had no home, and everything had burnt down. They needed help.

What they didn't tell anyone is that they had over 30,000 dollars in the bank available for use. They had gotten out of Paradise in a brand new mega-RV that was probably nicer than the houses and apartments many people who donated to them live in. Everything they owned was well insured, and their claim had already been approved, so they were just waiting for hundreds of thousands of dollars in insurance money which was definitely coming. They were already shopping for a new home on the East coast, and while the GoFundMe was running they were on a quite leisurely vacation where their biggest problem was buying new luggage so they could pack and fly with their new clothing.

I just can't help but be suspicious sometimes.

Edited by Bombast, 16 January 2019 - 09:44 AM.

#38 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:05 PM

And that's terrible Bombast. But maybe this isn't that. Don't donate or do. No one is obligated to do anything. Certainly not obligated to go on tirades about it. Acting like Bishop is some scam artist.

Also that's great that you're not asking for help Lordnothing. But that doesn't give you the right to judge others who feel they need help.

#39 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:20 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 16 January 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

And that's terrible Bombast. But maybe this isn't that. Don't donate or do. No one is obligated to do anything. Certainly not obligated to go on tirades about it. Acting like Bishop is some scam artist.

Also that's great that you're not asking for help Lordnothing. But that doesn't give you the right to judge others who feel they need help.

If you beg for money once because you're acutely in a bad place, people have sympathy and will often help you out (like the first time Bishop asked for money in 2017). You start begging for money with various different fundme sites once a year, and your problems aren't acute anymore, you have a chronic problem, and you need to address the way you live/work. I honestly don't see Bishop changing anything, and Im sure in 9 months to a year, he'll beg for money yet again.

#40 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:30 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 16 January 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

I've said multiple times I'm not saying Bishop is a scammer. In fact, based on what I know about him and my interactions with him, I 100% believe his story - That he's an autistic man incapable of functioning in a way that allows him to absorb the hits life has seen fit to hit him with recently.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users