Bishop Needs Our Help

58 replies to this topic

#41 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:31 PM

Well with that in mind. People can choose to not support it. He seems have to met all his goals anyways. Kind of a shame seemed like a nice enough guy to me when he was posting.

#42 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:59 PM

Attention, all MechWarrior Online gamers!

Posted Image

Bishop Steiner is in trouble! He needs your help to make ends meet in Mexico, and in order to do this he's going to need his trusty beanie and a couple of beers. To help him, all he needs is your credit card number, the expiration month and year, and the three digits on the back. But you have to be fast, though -- before the rent is due and his washing machine breaks down for good!

#43 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:38 PM

Ok, you really want to help him? Give him commissions. Let him do what he likes, i.e. creating artwork, and pay for it. Pay in advance if you want to and allow him to do it (much) later, but give him a meaningful job. Honest work, really.

It is not just about the money, it is about feeling respected and appreciated.

#44 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:44 PM

kinda shocked nobody has made any "build the wall" wise cracks yet

#45 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:54 PM

I like Bishop Steiner, and if I were in any financial position where money wasn't a factor I would give him a helping hand. I guess you can consider myself at poverty level as well, but I'd rather not disclose too much information about my background on here since this is about him. I can definitely relate to his situation personally. It absolutely sucks when someone is slapped with foreclosure and life hits hard and sudden. Has anyone suggested for him to try applying for disability before considering moving to Mexico if he is technically diagnosed with Asperger's?

#46 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 15 January 2019 - 12:55 PM, said:

Sounds like a repeat of 2017.

Or you can Fund a beer last month

Anyway before the haters roll in - I'm just pointing this out so people know.

If it was for actual medical help, with some proof, hell I'd ever consider donating.

Yikes...

#47 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:07 PM

You can't know anyone for who they really are based on a video game interaction. I have seen too much E-begging because people equate good player with good person. Donate if you will, but I have personally seen, in person, an ex-roommate of mine who scammed people online and received lots of free stuff IE: Furniture purchased, Money given, Rent paid, because of false sob stories told to various gamer/online people who thought she was so great. As a side note, she portrayed herself as extremely attractive to her "victims" when in truth she was extremely obese and could barely move around the house without assistance. Yes some people would find this attractive, but I'm pretty sure those that gave her things were not of that mindset.

#48 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:13 PM

Bros, I think you're missing the point.

The man isn't asking for help with a personal tragedy; he's asking you to help him continue ducking serious mental health issues instead of looking for treatment. Oh, and he wants some beer too.

#49 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:14 PM

What do you get when two people with Aspergers get into a fight about the Mad Cat MK II?

A 30 day ban! HaHA

In all seriousness though I was told by a few teachers I probably had it, never got checked. Honestly I think I’m fine for the most part. Though often I’m told my responses to things are “very unique” and my blunt use of what’s on my mind just makes me an *******. Though I’d say it’s more laziness about just getting to the point instead of beating around bushes and surgar coating things!

#50 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,907 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:46 PM

i 'got checked' for it. i got an 'i dont know'. i grew up when add was all the rage, we didn't have aspergers yet. i just took my ritalin/speed and just drifted through high school. school districts always love to throw labels at students they cant break, eventually they go out of style and get replaced. i remember when sed was all the rage back in elementary school.

#51 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:07 AM

Thing is, donations are on a voluntarily basis. You think its legit go ahead and donate, no problem with that. But calling others non empathical and cruel because they have their objections is kinda over the top. Scammers purposefully appeal to those precious virtues you mentioned.

#52 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:26 AM

View PostKotzi, on 17 January 2019 - 01:07 AM, said:

Thing is, donations are on a voluntarily basis. You think its legit go ahead and donate, no problem with that. But calling others non empathical and cruel because they have their objections is kinda over the top. Scammers purposefully appeal to those precious virtues you mentioned.

Agreed.

The 'reaction' a couple days later was absolutely over the top.

#53 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:44 AM

View PostBombast, on 16 January 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

I know a couple who recently got over 5000 dollars off of GoFundMe. They had a friend post their story - They lived in Paradise, California, and their house burned down. They had no home, and everything had burnt down. They needed help.

What they didn't tell anyone is that they had over 30,000 dollars in the bank available for use. They had gotten out of Paradise in a brand new mega-RV that was probably nicer than the houses and apartments many people who donated to them live in. Everything they owned was well insured, and their claim had already been approved, so they were just waiting for hundreds of thousands of dollars in insurance money which was definitely coming. They were already shopping for a new home on the East coast, and while the GoFundMe was running they were on a quite leisurely vacation where their biggest problem was buying new luggage so they could pack and fly with their new clothing.

I just can't help but be suspicious sometimes.

Isn't that illegal?

#54 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:46 AM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 17 January 2019 - 04:44 AM, said:

Isn't that illegal?

Why it would be illegal? They didn't even lie, they just didn't tell the whole story. It was 100% true that their house got burned down and they didn't have a home. They just didn't mention their stockpile of cash, their long term investments, or their upcoming, massive insurance payout.

Edited by Bombast, 17 January 2019 - 04:46 AM.

#55 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:57 AM

View PostBombast, on 17 January 2019 - 04:46 AM, said:

Why it would be illegal?

Because in most countries bullshiting for monentary gain is called a fraud.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraud

Or how some people put it by finer words.
"In law, fraud is deliberate deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain, or to deprive a victim of a legal right. "

#56 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:37 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 16 January 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:

Ok, you really want to help him? Give him commissions. Let him do what he likes, i.e. creating artwork, and pay for it. Pay in advance if you want to and allow him to do it (much) later, but give him a meaningful job. Honest work, really.

It is not just about the money, it is about feeling respected and appreciated.

This is exactly what I've done so I feel I've helped out already. Bishop has gotten quite good with his artwork so having more cool mech art would be a plus.

#57 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:43 AM

View PostBombast, on 16 January 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

Snip

Is it okay to hope their RV burns down too? I do.

#58 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,907 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:16 AM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 17 January 2019 - 04:57 AM, said:

Because in most countries bullshiting for monentary gain is called a fraud.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraud

Or how some people put it by finer words.
"In law, fraud is deliberate deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain, or to deprive a victim of a legal right. "

you can put a spin on a sad story but still not be outright deceptive. when my washer went **** up, i didnt ask for a new one. i asked for a wrench. spent $4 on new berings and it was working again. then there was that 2 years i had to do my laundry in the sink because reasons or that time i lived in a cargo container. poverty never bothered me, much the world lives that way, why should i get to be special.

#59 McValium

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:27 PM

This whole topic has taken some unfortunate turns. Closed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users