26 replies to this topic

#1 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:54 PM

If everyone put just one AMS on their mech, LURMERS would cry. Imagine if you will, all the missles that would be shot down during a match if 12 AMS umbrellaed the group. Now Imagine if you will one of the mechs was say an 3 AMS mech... 14 AMS umbrella. Make the LURMERs weep, add AMS to your mech today!

Edited by GeminiWolf, 07 February 2019 - 10:58 PM.

#2 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:04 PM

The problem isn't just what a few lrmboats can do in an SQ match. You have to think about the kind of damage that **** can do in a coordinated environment that doesn't prevent people from dropping a stack of LRM80 IS Assaults.

A whole teams worth of AMS is pointless in the face of 6-8 LRM80 fafnirs. The game has to be balanced around that as much as it does yoloQ.

The other aspect of the new change in mechanics is to persuade people to move up instead of sitting in a ditch 600 meters away from the fight leech lock auto aiming until their team is dead. You know as well as everyone else how detrimental it is to the team for an assault mech to refuse to present and share armor.

Edited by Prototelis, 07 February 2019 - 11:05 PM.

#3 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:25 PM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 07 February 2019 - 10:54 PM, said:

If everyone put just one AMS on their mech, LURMERS would cry. Imagine if you will, all the missles that would be shot down during a match if 12 AMS umbrellaed the group. Now Imagine if you will one of the mechs was say an 3 AMS mech... 14 AMS umbrella. Make the LURMERs weep, add AMS to your mech today!

Hahahahahaaha... Somebody got Lurmed recently... Posted Image

#4 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:29 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 07 February 2019 - 11:25 PM, said:

Hahahahahaaha... Somebody got Lurmed recently... Posted Image

Nope, been playing a completely different game recently. I don't get lurmed I get cover. I was actually posting because I was reading another forum post saying AMS was underpowered. It gave me the idea to post how OP AMS can be if everyone put one on their mech *shrug* but hey have a good laugh :)

#5 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:32 PM

AMS is not meant to negate LRM damage its meant to mitigate that damage so that you can take out those lurmers. Back in the day when i was running narcs and we had couple of dedicated lurmers you could see which guys were good in tactics. Most times the enemy was just lurmed to death but when OPFOR had balls they knew how to kill us quickly. #AMSANDCOVERLURMSSUFFER

#6 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:36 PM

View PostKotzi, on 07 February 2019 - 11:32 PM, said:

AMS is not meant to negate LRM damage its meant to mitigate that damage so that you can take out those lurmers. Back in the day when i was running narcs and we had couple of dedicated lurmers you could see which guys were good in tactics. Most times the enemy was just lurmed to death but when OPFOR had balls they knew how to kill us quickly. #AMSANDCOVERLURMSSUFFER

You are completely right...I consider it a Damage Reducer for LRM's...This post was mainly aimed at the other post where the person was complaining how weak AMS is.

#7 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:39 PM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 07 February 2019 - 11:29 PM, said:

Nope, been playing a completely different game recently. I don't get lurmed I get cover. I was actually posting because I was reading another forum post saying AMS was underpowered. It gave me the idea to post how OP AMS can be if everyone put one on their mech *shrug* but hey have a good laugh Posted Image

Unfortunately they don't work that well, we tried this tactic at some point of January with some friends: We had only dual and triple AMS mechs and If I remember correcly total 12 AMS with group of 5 and STILL lurms got through all of us had both AMS overload nodes also.

#8 PhilTKaswahl

• PipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:54 AM

This discussion just reminds me of a game where some poor sap decided to run triple LAMS, shut down out in the open in front of our team, and got utterly shat on in seconds.

His confusion and enlightenment over that chat was a nice laugh.

Edited by PhilTKaswahl, 08 February 2019 - 01:55 AM.

#9 ShaneoftheDead

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:07 AM

View PostCurccu, on 07 February 2019 - 11:39 PM, said:

Unfortunately they don't work that well, we tried this tactic at some point of January with some friends: We had only dual and triple AMS mechs and If I remember correcly total 12 AMS with group of 5 and STILL lurms got through all of us had both AMS overload nodes also.

That tactic USED to work, but then LRM and ATM buffs happened. Prior to that I was in a group with [J0KE] once and they were chewing up LRMs, ATMs, and when we had around 20+ AMS in our group even MRMs were not getting through.

Despite the LRM and ATM buffs, I still feel that AMS on Assaults and Heavies is worth the Ton and 2 slots. There is so much ATM out there. I see it every match these days. Shooting one down is saving 2 damage per missile, if not 3. Too much to ignore, IMO.

#10 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:15 AM

I use the AMS hack to get free missile immunity. (walls)

#11 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:16 AM

View PostShaneoftheDead, on 08 February 2019 - 07:07 AM, said:

............... in our group even MRMs were not getting through.

Ummm Does AMS/LAMS affect MRM's? Thought is was only lockable missiles.

#12 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:18 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 08 February 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

Yes, and SRMs

#13 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:08 AM

An individual AMS doesn't do much for the player, so good luck trying to convince a large number of self-interested players to bring AMS.

I sometimes run a dual-LAMS Stormcrow or dual-AMS Crab, as does a friend. When we see incoming missiles on a teammate, we run toward the teammate to cover him/her. Maybe it's because we're competing to see who can shoot down more missiles, maybe it's a teamwork mentality, maybe we like annoying missile boats. Either way, I enjoy the gentle hum of an active AMS Posted Image

#14 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:26 AM

Terrible idea. A static blob of mechs that barely moves? Sounds like European primetime. Also not a very fun idea as you compel twenty ton mechs to mount heavy burdensome AMS systems where none are needed and assaults perhaps lose HGR and LBX20 options depending their designs.

Also I just bought a Virago on sale. That mech in its stock form lacks an AMS hardpoint. If follow your (joking?) orders I decrease my XP per match. That is not in my self interest.

#15 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:30 AM

View PostNightbird, on 08 February 2019 - 09:18 AM, said:

Yes, and SRMs

When did that change?

#16 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:36 AM

@Darian: They always shot SRMs down, you were simply unlikely to observe a meaningful effect owing to range and speed of the missiles.

Edited by Spheroid, 08 February 2019 - 01:35 PM.

#17 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

Well, I either have ECM or AMS on the vast majority of my Mechs... And I only see significant amounts of missiles when there are missile damage related events, like Tag damage, etc. In 80% of my matches I do not run out of 1 ton of AMS ammo. In another 15% not out of 2 tons.

I just wish people would stop switching to LRMs exclusively when the missile events pop up. You can complete most of them using SRMs and MRMs, too. /sigh In fact, I built my Florentine into a missile boat to get these events sorted, using 2ML and MRM50 (20/30). What can I say, I really like the Chassis. Only problem of this build: It does not have AMS... ;)

Edited by Darakor Stormwind, 08 February 2019 - 12:54 PM.

#18 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:16 PM

AMS, the waste of tonnage...

#19 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:26 PM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 08 February 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

Effects all missiles however the velocity of MRMs and SRMs tend to give the AMS very little time to react so generally speaking there is very little mitigation going on with MRMs and SRMs even when there is a tight AMS umbrella.

#20 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:22 PM

View PostPhilTKaswahl, on 08 February 2019 - 01:54 AM, said:

This discussion just reminds me of a game where some poor sap decided to run triple LAMS, shut down out in the open in front of our team, and got utterly shat on in seconds.

His confusion and enlightenment over that chat was a nice laugh.

I did not suggest LAMS :)...tho if you add just 1 LAMS and 2 normal AMS...its pretty effective.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users