What's With This Trend Of People Not Fighting?

42 replies to this topic

#1 Stink Bug

• PipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:09 PM

Rant incoming. But seriously, in the past several months it's seems like it's become very trendy in QP for 1/4 to 1/2 of the people on a team to hang back and not fight. Not talking about LRMers, AFKers, or those long range snipers that barely do any damage, but people taking the pacifist route, hiding behind cover not firing at anything while the rest of the team is engaging the enemy. I just don't understand this mentality. Yeah getting hit is scary, but you're going to get stomped anyways after the other half of the team actually fighting is dead. Why even drop if you're not going to fight?!!!

#2 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:13 PM

They think they will be able to farm disabled/ cored enemy mech after the ones with balls are dead. Maybe, more and more ''big kill count'' while using canon fodder type of players ?

Edited by Damnedtroll, 19 January 2019 - 04:13 PM.

#3 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:27 PM

Dude, do you know how long it took to paint my 'Mechs?

#4 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:29 PM

Yeah happens way too often but honestly I don't think this practice is exactly new. I mean probably something like 20-30% of my losses I can directly pinpoint the loss to lack of aggressiveness on my teams part.

#5 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,086 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:29 PM

I report those types of players and let pgi decide what to do. Unfortunately there is a limit per week and I try my best not to report 'pacifists' and report more severe thinks like team killers and racist rants. As per the rules

The absence of even one player in a match can directly impact the playing experience and level of enjoyment for all other players in that match. Initiating the search for a match should be seen as an unspoken commitment to all other players who will be placed into the same match.
We completely understand that life goes on regardless of your participation in a game, but walking away from the computer or alt+tabbing out to browse the internet after initiating a match and not returning in time to provide meaningful assistance to your teammates are considered acts of non-participation.

There are situations that do not fall within the scope of what the shutdown mechanic or evasion tactics are intended for. The use of the shutdown mechanic or avoiding contact with the enemy under the following situations may be classed as an act of non-participation, subject to evaluation and moderation actions by Support services:
  • Ceasing to meaningfully contribute for the remainder of the match if you still have support equipment, useful modules, or weapons (with any necessary ammo) available. Losing your primary weapon is not an acceptable excuse for hiding and/or shutting down if you still have a secondary weapon, a support-based item such as a TAG, or a consumable module available for use.
  • Running out the clock, or needlessly extending the duration of the match, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory.
  • Running out the clock or needlessly extending the duration of a Faction Play match in an attempt to keep a particular group or Unit in the current engagement for as long as possible, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory, is not considered an acceptable tactic.
Disliking a map or game mode or attempting to preserve a player statistic such as Kill/Death Ratio are not acceptable excuses for non-participation.

https://mwomercs.com/conduct

#6 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:30 PM

View PostDamnedtroll, on 19 January 2019 - 04:13 PM, said:

They think they will be able to farm disabled/ cored enemy mech after the ones with balls are dead. Maybe, more and more ''big kill count'' while using canon fodder type of players ?

I don't think so. There are some who do that, of course, like that guy with his Marauder IIC (2x LB20X, 2xERLL, you know...).

But the majority are just insecure and therefore inherently passive. Some of that has to do with a lack of experience, not knowing when to engage and when to disengage, when to rush around a corner and when to stop at that corner, etc.

Sometimes people think they have no influence because they are 'just' 1 of 12, so they let 'the team' do its thing, only to blame 'the team' if it failed (as if they were no part of it). You know, the assaults who refuse to push, arguing noone is coming with them anyway. But again, that is just insecurity and a lack of experience.

And some are just naturally passive and to do what everybody else is doing.

But then, the vast majority of the players think of themselves as more competent than the others...

Edited by FLG 01, 19 January 2019 - 04:37 PM.

#7 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:46 PM

This is by no means anything new. The past 2 years it has gotten progressively worse.

#8 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:54 PM

People trying to preserve their K/D for some asinine reason, reported a blood asp pilot earlier today for hiding in a corner and shutting down when his team started to lose. Worse was skirmish so we had to find the little punk or wait out the clock (we found him).

#9 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:59 PM

Some people queue up just to walk around the map.

#10 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:06 PM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 19 January 2019 - 04:54 PM, said:

People trying to preserve their K/D for some asinine reason, reported a blood asp pilot earlier today for hiding in a corner and shutting down when his team started to lose. Worse was skirmish so we had to find the little punk or wait out the clock (we found him).

Got to admit, I have never understood why people care about their K/D in MWO. Unlike WoT there is no XVM that magically predicts how likely it is your teams going to win based on a players stats and aside from a few Willie Nillies out there, no one really even attempts to demean you about your stats in fact they are rarely mentioned in debates on the forums as far as I can tell.

No what I am concerned about is usually making the most C-bills and often times XP if I am skilling out a Mech. You get bigger rewards for doing more damage and killing stuff than running off to the corner to shut down to ensure you survive so if anything preserving your K/D means your being less efficient at the game.

#11 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

The big event prize requires people to get at least a 500 matchscore game. That's probably why people are being passive.

#12 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

The irony is that being passive is exactly how to not get your big match score, lol.

#13 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:45 PM

View PostY E O N N E, on 19 January 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

The irony is that being passive is exactly how to not get your big match score, lol.

I managed to get one with my 3xAMS Nova by playing passive in Polar. ;)

In general, long term survivability directly translates to higher scores.

#14 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:14 PM

AMS boating excepted, only if you actually shoot things.

#15 eminus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 604 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:38 PM

PACIFIST MILLENIALS

#16 OrmsbyGore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:40 PM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 19 January 2019 - 04:54 PM, said:

I cannot stand that behavior and will gladly give away the position of any players on my team who do that; similarly, someone runs away during a domination match when the team is losing deserves to be hunted down (if I'm on the winning side, I'll leave the circle so my team can find him; if I'm on the losing side, I'll call out his location)

#17 OmniFail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 438 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:36 PM

I hate them. Cowards. Why are they not out there in the rain getting me locks?

#18 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:43 PM

That's just what QP is about, being greedy and selfish. If you want to play the real game, get a team together and play FP.

#19 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:46 PM

TBH, sometimes this is me. I take too long to "position," and I feel like I'm losing the game for my team (which is its own brand of pretense). What I hate is after I die, and I scroll through "fail roulette," watching my whole team wandering around getting shot without returning fire. We sucked. So did you. Learn from your mistakes and move on.

#20 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:58 PM

Whats with the trend of people wanting to push into established fire lines or controlled lanes?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users