23 replies to this topic

#21 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:36 PM

View Post50 50, on 20 January 2019 - 08:03 PM, said:

I've wondered why it's counter clockwise and if it's to do with the majority of people being right handed.

By the way, have you heard that a few of the old original maps are coming back in March?
Forest Colony and the snow version plus Frozen City.

I've heard the argument that many original mechs stacked guns on the right side, so it made sense to peek from the right of cover, and that's how it started. Another though of mine is that we drive on the right in the US, and intuitively move to the right when walking around sonone/something. But it doesn't matter. It's so ingrained in to this community at this point, I'd be surprised if the franchise isn't ruined forever by it. We even got wide open maps, and players still cirgle each other.... It's so sad to see.

New old maps! I haven't heard that. To be honest, the fight at Forrest Colony will still happen at the same point. Maybe a little farther at the bridge. Most of that map is wasted. They wasted their time with the remake of it.

Old Frozen was fun. They always had awful spawn points for Assaults on that one side, I'm curious if PGI will bother to fix that...

#22 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:44 PM

I don't think comp has anything to do with nascar at all, I think it has to do with the faster 'Mechs spawning on the right and running to the right because the closest enemies are the slow ones. It's been like that for a long time, but players used to be smarter on average and take actions that mitigate it.

It's depressing as hell that "take the top" is not common sense for HPG anymore.

#23 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:58 AM

View PostY E O N N E, on 20 January 2019 - 10:44 PM, said:

I don't think comp has anything to do with nascar at all, I think it has to do with the faster 'Mechs spawning on the right and running to the right because the closest enemies are the slow ones. It's been like that for a long time, but players used to be smarter on average and take actions that mitigate it.

It's depressing as hell that "take the top" is not common sense for HPG anymore.
That's probably it. Back in the day we all spawned in a clump and didn't rotate. This really did come about after lance spawns. The sad thing is that there's not much, if anything, that can be done about it at this point. Nothing short of a return of a solid group que and outfit play will reverse the trend.

#24 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:18 PM

View Postadamts01, on 19 January 2019 - 07:37 AM, said:

- Lights are a mess. We finally have a good selection that play like lights, but they had to be added to the game. Other lights are only viable because of hit point quirks, and they handle like crap.

They have been for a long time. Especially the 35t mechs are too large and not agile enough. What is worse, though, that there is zero reason (in Quick Play) to choose a 35t mech over a fast medium mech like Assassin.

As soon as a light mech cannot be safely ignored for an extended period of time by a heavy or assault, the heavy/assault whine train starts on the forum and the devs cave in and the nerfs start (I mean why learn to aim or use anything besides lasers or have a kind of situational awareness when you can cry on the board and be comfy again?). The result is that you see 1-2 (sometimes 0) light mechs per team but 4-6 assaults and a couple of heavies. This seems to be fine. Have you seen a match with 0 heavies or 0 assaults? I cannot remember such a case.

I bet this keeps going on until you see games with only heavies and assaults. But hey, the game is at a kind of end stage of its life-cycle, so why not ruin it properly?

Edited by Bush Hopper, 21 January 2019 - 01:20 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users