40 replies to this topic

#21 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

Eye candy and stuff? Lots of that, from colors, decals, bolt ons, automated audio tea bagging (war horns), to camo skins, cockpit items and all the like.

Overall, for an F2P game, there sure does seem like there's a LOT of stuff.

lol...the Bolts on a shame for the Eyes , thats rusty kinky Srapyard Items ...so bad looking thats Fallout looks better or Orc stuff from WH40k..and thats for Arena mechs xD

and for a F2P game its less on Stuff ...seeing Star conflict or War Thunder

and the Tread its a Trolltread im thinking .

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 24 January 2019 - 06:54 PM.

#22 Blockwart

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:01 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 24 January 2019 - 03:43 PM, said:

if it was made after 2005, its beta.

If it was made by PGI, it's beta.

#23 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:05 PM

View PostBlockwart, on 24 January 2019 - 07:01 PM, said:

If it was made by PGI, it's beta.

to be fair pgi arent alone in the kind of ********** that plagues the modern game industry.

#24 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:20 AM

Boys, learn to recognize rookie salt threads.

View PostSpheroid, on 24 January 2019 - 01:52 PM, said:

Jarl says no recorded games.

He's playing, all right.
All but two of his recorded matches in the current season were in Heavies:
Posted Image

Verdict: OP planted himself face-first into the learning curve and converted the force of that impact into salt.

Edited by Horseman, 25 January 2019 - 01:24 AM.

#25 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:10 AM

I GOTTA SAY mw2 mercs is where its at... it kept all the Mw2 with it.. but added that salty as **** feel...

Look on the bright side kid... you get to keep all the money

#26 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 06:34 AM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 24 January 2019 - 06:53 PM, said:

lol...the Bolts on a shame for the Eyes , thats rusty kinky Srapyard Items ...so bad looking thats Fallout looks better or Orc stuff from WH40k..and thats for Arena mechs xD

and for a F2P game its less on Stuff ...seeing Star conflict or War Thunder

and the Tread its a Trolltread im thinking .
As far as quality, what do you have your graphics settings configured at? Maximum FPS, or Highest Quality? That will make a difference.

As far as mentioning Fallout or WH40K, while I know for certain FallOut is PAY-TO-PLAY and has a major video game company behind it with possibly dozens if not hundreds of graphics designers working for them.

I have no idea about WH40K, I think there is an F2P, dunno, I'm not into that IP but considering that WH40K is one of the most popular TT games in existence, I'm sure the IP owner is capable of specifying higher quality controls. I think there's an order of magnitude difference between BT/MWO and WH40K fan bases.

As far as the other F2P games items, well I don't play either of those games so I wouldn't know. Is nearly all of that eye candy "earnable" for free? How often do they have have events that either give away a lot of their items, or give away in game currency to allow you to purchase items that would normally only be available via real cash money transactions?

#27 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 06:46 AM

View PostVerilligo, on 24 January 2019 - 12:11 PM, said:

I'm not sure I can agree with that, given the netcode that MW3 was stuck with. Also not terribly well-balanced, if memory serves? It had the atmosphere and general aesthetic right, though.
I dissagre about lack of balance. I have found memories of running up behind so called imba assaults and heavies with my 13ersl shadow cat with eco and masc and taking them apart.

But still in beta? There can be an argument to support that.

#28 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:22 AM

View PostBurning2nd, on 25 January 2019 - 02:10 AM, said:

I GOTTA SAY mw2 mercs is where its at... it kept all the Mw2 with it.. but added that salty as **** feel...

The opener of MW2: Merc, like many of the Mechwarrior openers, was fantastic, and perfectly sets up what you're doing and how you should be thinking while playing.

One of my (Perhaps unfair) complaints about MW5:Mercs is that it fails to give you that mercenary feeling right off the bat. MW2:M sells you as a merc right off the bat and in a solid way. MW5:M isn't even out yet and it's already started muddling the water by introducing some sort of legacy plot.

EDIT: The other mechwarrior games, as mentioned, are great at this intro story telling as well. MW3 really sets you up to hate the Clanners, and the kind of desperate fight you're in for. MW4 gives you a motivation and a heroic example to follow. MechCommander shows the kind of gameplay and objectives the game is lining up for you. All while being awesome.

Edited by Bombast, 25 January 2019 - 07:25 AM.

#29 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:17 AM

And thats how ive been playing ever since lol

#30 4rcs1ne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationKnoxville,TN

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:46 AM

What a joke of a thread lol.

#31 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:07 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 24 January 2019 - 01:52 PM, said:

Jarl says no recorded games.

And easily gets ignored by a totally valid point .
Poor Jarl .

By the way of interfering: Did MW:O ever leave its Alpha/Beta stage ?
I say : Nö .

#32 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:39 PM

View PostHorseman, on 25 January 2019 - 01:20 AM, said:

Boys, learn to recognize rookie salt threads.

He's playing, all right.
All but two of his recorded matches in the current season were in Heavies:
Posted Image

Verdict: OP planted himself face-first into the learning curve and converted the force of that impact into salt.

that's some amazing stats
out of 12 matches 6 are wins and 6 are loses
I would never have guessed that could even happen

#33 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:19 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 25 January 2019 - 07:39 PM, said:

that's some amazing stats
out of 12 matches 6 are wins and 6 are loses
I would never have guessed that could even happen

No, out of 18 matches 6 are wins and 12 are losses.. :P

#34 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:03 AM

View PostCyanogene, on 24 January 2019 - 11:41 AM, said:

MW2 is the best game based on BT IP, full stop.

I would have to go with HBS Battletech instead.

#35 Adamant80

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 58 posts
  • LocationI'm not sure...

Posted 26 January 2019 - 02:17 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 24 January 2019 - 03:43 PM, said:

if it was made after 2005, its beta. completed games are lostech.

We must organize a special research team to study past games. Was it the simplicity of the code? Was it the fact that products were seldom shipped with the intention of adding fixes post launch? Was it the invasion of the Microtransaction? Or was it something else?

#36 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 04:58 PM

View PostAdamant80, on 26 January 2019 - 02:17 PM, said:

We must organize a special research team to study past games. Was it the simplicity of the code? Was it the fact that products were seldom shipped with the intention of adding fixes post launch? Was it the invasion of the Microtransaction? Or was it something else?

i blame it mostly on the move from games-as-a-product to games-as-a-service. when you make a product you want the best product possible so it stands superior to its competitors. when you do a service you want the highest return on the least amount of work. fewer employees at lower pay rates and that translates into lesser ability to deliver.

you can kind of also blame it on rent-an-engine, and to be fair that was always happening. of course that's not always a bad thing (see anything by raven). it makes game dev more accessible and frees you up from having to write reusable bits like renderers and physics engines freeing your programmers up to write game logic. of course thats a double edged sword, because it lets you cut your talent pool down to unacceptable levels, and you dont have any expensive high skilled employees available to solve the hard problems. pgi takes this to an extreme.

that said some of my favorite games had in house game engines developed by people who have a major stake in the dev studio. thus they aren't going to be so easily separated from the codebase on which it all depends. what did pgi do? contract a guy who really didn't care what became of his work when the contract was over. de-emphasizing the need for programmers leads to a whole buttload of problems, and noone with the skill set or experience to resolve them. thus glaring issues persist and promises are broken.

i honestly dont expect them to change. but i can also say i dont buy as many games as i used to. free to play saps your time unless you pay huge fees and then saps your time a wee bit less. its also not as fun. when you spend $60 on a typical game and complete it over the course of about a month, you tend to buy other games, and thats good for buisness. but if im grinding for small things and not seeing an end to the game in sight, i dont get the kind of sense of completion that i get from pay once and never again games, and this leads to me buying less games.

then you got the indie school of thought where 'screw profit lets make a game because thats what we like to do' is the usual mantra. its like comparing pop music to the underground stuff. the pop people only care about more money and will use every marketing gimmick in the book to make it happen, while underground bands just want to make music.

Edited by LordNothing, 26 January 2019 - 05:01 PM.

#37 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:29 PM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 24 January 2019 - 01:41 PM, said:

back in the day us founders found out that of the millions of dollars us founders invested, most of it got diverted away from the development of MWO to fund other projects. That is just the attitude PGI has always seem to have had about MWO.

minor but important point, it was not PGI, we did not give that money to Pirahna Games Interactive (the developer) instead we gave that money to Infinate Game Publishing (the publisher) IGP gave some of that money to PGI to fund developement of MWO and spent some of that money themselves on other things.
A few years later PGI purchased publishing rights from IGP (shortly before IGP went bankrupt) and the pace of developement of MWO and comunity interaction massively improved for a while, then PGI started making mistakes like asking players to help them fix things with public tests, and unsuprisingly when a first public test for a new feature proved polerising or unpopular with the testers, PGI ended up abandoning many of the (in my opinion usualy good) ideas because of the negetive backlash, when usualy with a little more work it could have acheved the goal.

I am not saying PGI has not made mistakes but they were not paid the founders cash and had no say in how it was spent, except the portion IGP chose to let them have, and even then IGP as the publisher would have told PGI where to focus their efforts.

#38 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:36 AM

View PostBombast, on 25 January 2019 - 07:22 AM, said:

The opener of MW2: Merc, like many of the Mechwarrior openers, was fantastic, and perfectly sets up what you're doing and how you should be thinking while playing.

One of my (Perhaps unfair) complaints about MW5:Mercs is that it fails to give you that mercenary feeling right off the bat. MW2:M sells you as a merc right off the bat and in a solid way. MW5:M isn't even out yet and it's already started muddling the water by introducing some sort of legacy plot.

EDIT: The other mechwarrior games, as mentioned, are great at this intro story telling as well. MW3 really sets you up to hate the Clanners, and the kind of desperate fight you're in for. MW4 gives you a motivation and a heroic example to follow. MechCommander shows the kind of gameplay and objectives the game is lining up for you. All while being awesome.
PGI has some big shoes to fill for that intro... but I'm already thinking its gonna be lack luster. I would be very happy if I am wrong.

#39 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:40 AM

And now I wanna watch all the old intros... damnit Bombast..

#40 Senior Knight Steele

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 93 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:48 PM

I sort of wish it WAS still beta. Every time I come back to the game I feel sad. I haven't made a forum post in... a LONG time. I found myself pining for the days when this WAS in beta and when I wasn't playing I was just sitting around browsing the forums.

Back before... gosh, this is probably an unpopular opinion right here. Back before Operation 24 (I think is what they called it) the game was far more interesting. 8 v 8 on maps sized appropriately with objectives you had to think about and communicate to complete successfully. Now there's just so many mechs, both in the mechlab and in any given match, it feels like nothing matters. Group up, shoot, hope for the best. Over and over. Conquest and assault never get played, and when they do there's nowhere near the same amount of communication or thought I seem to remember from back in the day.

It seems like they didn't capitalize on the good things about the game that they had back in the day. They just churned out F2P stuff endlessly. They could have made more interesting maps or more game modes that required thought and communication. They could have even added AI vehicles etc... instead it was a broken Faction mode that they only delivered to fulfill their empty and dishonest promises and now... Solaris? Neither of which work, neither of which does anyone play. Hell, you can hardly even navigate the UI for those modes.

I'm sorry if this is off-topic. I'm just feeling weirdly nostalgic for the beta of this game. Obviously this is all just my opinion there may be people here that think the game is vastly better off now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users