Why Is Cross Servers Games Even A Thing?

10 replies to this topic

#1 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 07:43 AM

So my first try of Solaris 7, in a tight 1v1 where every shot counts, and sharp shooting is essential, I realised why is cross server games even allowed?

I chose Oceanic as that is where I have the best ping. But I occasionally get thrown into Europe, where I have 350+ ping while the opponent has 2 digit ping.

I would rather wait and have no match, than get thrown into such imbalance games. Sure, it works in my favour when a poor sob from Euro or NA gets matched with me, but that really is a bad games design. So... par for the course for PGI design.

sigh.......

#2 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:18 AM

Because there's only like 3 Oceanic Solaris players. Posted Image

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 January 2019 - 01:33 PM

View PostAlcom Isst, on 26 January 2019 - 10:18 AM, said:

Because there's only like 3 Oceanic Solaris players. Posted Image

lol - come on, there is at least 12...

But yeah you pick your home server and it's a 50/50 coin toss essentially as to who gets their home ground advantage. And that is how you have to look at it. It's a Home / Away type scenario.

Think about when you get Oceanic Server and then the EU player is having 350ms vs your 30ms.

It all evens out in the end IMO. I've had no issue and have never seen a problem and my server is OC.
I mean I see a LOT of EU people bitching about it when they play me however I don't complain when I play them. Some people are just precious and wanna blame anything they can for a loss other than themselves.

#4 UnkerZ

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:48 PM

View PostImperialKnight, on 26 January 2019 - 07:43 AM, said:

So my first try of Solaris 7, in a tight 1v1 where every shot counts, and sharp shooting is essential, I realised why is cross server games even allowed?

I chose Oceanic as that is where I have the best ping. But I occasionally get thrown into Europe, where I have 350+ ping while the opponent has 2 digit ping.

I would rather wait and have no match, than get thrown into such imbalance games. Sure, it works in my favour when a poor sob from Euro or NA gets matched with me, but that really is a bad games design. So... par for the course for PGI design.

sigh.......

Be thankful you have at least some good server options. My best ping ever is 180++.. and I dunno waddafak is wrong with Oceanic servers having more ping than NA servers. Hits 500 ping at times.. and I supposedly live next door to the Oceanic servers? Where is it now actually? Australia?

imagine the solaris hell having not only teleporting enemies but my own mech. I just fell in love with the ACW only to teleport into a wall in front of a DW. But at least im having fun now chewing up scrub meta Annis thanks to losing all that SSR the last few days :)

#5 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:11 PM

Server is in Perth for Oceanic.

#6 Alexandros

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 153 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:01 AM

On 4 matches (the provisional ones) 560 ping. This is a serious problem. Oceanic players go to sleep (during my daytime) or cross matches need to be addressed. As an EU player I would prefer EU players and I don't mind waiting in the queue.

#7 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 04:26 AM

Skill will compensate your ping inferiority. The only time when ping is an issue if your enemy is purposely warping.

#8 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:08 AM

Yeah if you play Solaris and care about your win/loss ratio at all playing in oceanic servers seriously sucks. Ping kills haha

#9 Geewiz 27

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 03:47 PM

Ping does sometimes have a bearing on the result of a game. I find it's usually only an issue in the really close matches when say you and your opponent are close to evenly matched sometimes it can be an issue then but it's rare. What I'd like to see is all matches between EU and OC players played on NA server as they the EU guys still normally have a better ping then me but the difference is usually less then 100 which is perfectly acceptable. I have no idea if this would be a feasible option though.

#10 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:52 PM

View PostImperialKnight, on 26 January 2019 - 07:43 AM, said:

sigh.......

Thing is, you complain about being paired up in a disadvantaged manner, and most everyone else claims they wait forever and would like to get into a match, any match. And of course, each are called out as "poor game design, of course PGI".

So, which is poor game design? Having people wait for better balanced matches. or starting matches in as reasonable of a time as possible even if matching isn't going to be "perfect"?

#11 Lurm God

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:58 AM

Hi oceanic player here. I have to play 50% of my games on EU and NA approximately. Having been top of solaris otherwise top 10 multiple seasons I can categorically say. Don't blame the ping, you are just losing. I love it when I get an EU or NA pilot who whinges when I win on ping then I get them on their home server and they say luck, cheating or that I must have been laggy lol. I have a stable connection even when streaming so I know it isn't warping lol. Probably the only time it will ever make a difference is you are exactly even and launching your weapons at the exact same micro second as your enemy is when I would consider ping to make the difference on the final blow

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users