A Quick Death

13 replies to this topic

#1 Clyde S Dale

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:21 AM

Hey all,

First time on this forum for me. After searching, the last reference I found to dying exceptionally fast was from 2012.

I've noticed, just recently, that my Mechs seem to be made of butter regardless of tonnage. I get that some of the times I was the recipient of focused fire or a never ending stream of LRMs, which sucks, but getting hammered is expected.

But over the past couple of weeks I tend to die quickly at the hand of one or two mechs. One of note was a Piranha with small lasers from over 400m away. It was like 3 or 4 shots then dead. But what really got me was last night when I was still at 100%, got hit once by a heavy large laser (not a head shot) and I crumpled to the ground.

Is there something I'm missing? A series of lucky shots maybe? Is there a damage log where we can see just how much damage was inflicted? I waited until the end of the match and in my summary is just had damaged by heavy large laser.

#2 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:28 AM

View PostClyde S Dale, on 26 January 2019 - 09:21 AM, said:

But over the past couple of weeks I tend to die quickly at the hand of one or two mechs. One of note was a Piranha with small lasers from over 400m away.

Not from that far away. Not in a quanitity of ersmall lasers the PIR can boat and have enough dissipation for repeated fire.

But what really got me was last night when I was still at 100%, got hit once by a heavy large laser (not a head shot) and I crumpled to the ground.

Do you run like 30 back armor?

#3 Clyde S Dale

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 12:25 PM

It was a single front hit with the heavy large laser. And with the PIR that's what made me wonder being that far away. Have had some pieces blown off in one shot as well. I've just been seeing some occasional strange stuff over the past few weeks.

In a different game a few years back we picked up a bug to where if we upgraded equipment it killed armor. The workaround was to unequip the ship, change ships, undock, go back in and change back to the other ship, reinstall everything, then it was fine. It was eventually fixed but was a pain. The fast kills in this game reminded me of that bug.

Maybe I'll try it just for S&Gs.

#4 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 02:36 PM

What Mech were you driving and with which build? I am hard pressed to think of any Mech that will blow up after being hit with one heavy large laser.

***EDIT: There are a number of fairly sturdy Mechs out there. Crab, Bushwacker, Orion, Roughneck all come to mind. If you are interested, we can provide some build suggestions...***

Edited by Darakor Stormwind, 26 January 2019 - 02:37 PM.

#5 BrunoSSace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 January 2019 - 02:45 PM

What mech, what build, a video reply or how long have you been playing.
Do you have good fps, game lag can make you die sooner than you think.

When I first started playing, I thought I was dieing quicly too, but getting spotted by the whole enermy first does that too you.

To link builds we use https://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=39
For example

Edited by BrunoSSace, 26 January 2019 - 02:47 PM.

#6 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:07 PM

Hmm.

There was an armor realignment on a few mechs last year, so if you haven't taken them out in a while you could have seriously minimal armor in key locations (Jenners, Jaggers, etc.). I brought out my High Roller this morning and for some reason one of the torsos suddenly had like 4 pts of armor on it. Yet it was maxed out last time I played it. Point being: check your builds.

#7 Clyde S Dale

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:33 PM

I was in a Timberwolf Prime at the time. Build was nothing fancy, LRMs and lasers, but usually very effective. Have been playing for quite a while so she's a fairly sturdy mech normally. I don't have video unfortunately. And I have experienced the lag death before (I have microwave internet) where I was getting pounded but didn't realize it until I died. The usual indicator of lag or other internet issues is I see my teammates 'walking in place'.

I think I'll strip them down and rebuild them before taking them out tonight and see what happens.

#8 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:37 PM

Dude, post your builds.

Theres just no way you got downed by JUST a handful of ersmalls at 400m, or a single heavy large.

#9 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:34 PM

View PostClyde S Dale, on 26 January 2019 - 06:33 PM, said:

I was in a Timberwolf Prime at the time. Build was nothing fancy, LRMs and lasers, but usually very effective. Have been playing for quite a while so she's a fairly sturdy mech normally. I don't have video unfortunately. And I have experienced the lag death before (I have microwave internet) where I was getting pounded but didn't realize it until I died. The usual indicator of lag or other internet issues is I see my teammates 'walking in place'.

I think I'll strip them down and rebuild them before taking them out tonight and see what happens.

Look on the end screen what’s been damaging you. I’d bet a dollar you were hit by double gauss (which is almost invisible), or simply shot from an angle you can’t see (Timberwolves can have their CTs targeted from the side, if someone shoots the nose).

If you have lag spikes or you’re dropping packets, you might miss when a mech is shooting at you as you skip a second or two, which is while you’re getting shot, only to fall down dead unexpectedly, because someone got a perfect shot while you were lagging. If you have an NVIDIA card installed, get Shadowplay, and set up 5/10 minute replays, so you can always get a video, and see exactly what happened when you died.

Edited by Maddermax, 26 January 2019 - 08:39 PM.

#10 Clyde S Dale

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:09 AM

View PostMaddermax, on 26 January 2019 - 08:34 PM, said:

Look on the end screen what’s been damaging you. I’d bet a dollar you were hit by double gauss (which is almost invisible), or simply shot from an angle you can’t see (Timberwolves can have their CTs targeted from the side, if someone shoots the nose).

Ah this one I remember, at the end of the match I was only damaged by a heavy large laser. That was when I decided to post something.

As for posting my build, forgive my ignorance but would that be with the export button in the mechlab?

Last night I didn't get much match time due to other issues but I did get time to completely strip down my TBR and reinstall everything bit by bit. I got three matches in and my mech was back to her sturdy self. I even took a bit of a pounding by two Annihilators before dying. I was in the fray for a bit which is more what I'm used to seeing.

Sometime today I'm going to take my Blood Asp out without stripping it down to see if the same issue persists. If I die quick I'll strip everything off and rebuild. And if I don't die quick, well, I'll enjoy the ride but be a little confused.

#11 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,712 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:00 AM

As far as you were aware, you were damaged by a heavy large laser. If fired at the same time/mech, it could have 3-4 HLL but would be represented as HLL, not multiples in the end death screen. And no, export button is not for use to tell us at least the mech you were using.

#12 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:36 AM

With the event, I have seen a direwolf running around with 8 heavy large lasers. A troll build just for the event to get his kills/kmdd. He blew up not long after he fired, but got a kill out of it.

#13 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,712 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:51 PM

View PostVorpal Puppy, on 27 January 2019 - 11:36 AM, said:

With the event, I have seen a direwolf running around with 8 heavy large lasers. A troll build just for the event to get his kills/kmdd. He blew up not long after he fired, but got a kill out of it.

Yeap, and OP, in the death screen that would register and list damaged by HLL. It would not say Damaged by 8 HLL.

#14 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 January 2019 - 08:05 PM

View PostVorpal Puppy, on 27 January 2019 - 11:36 AM, said:

Direstar is fun again when you blow off side torso's..with the new lose a torso explode mechanic :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users