33 replies to this topic

#1 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:01 PM

I have a bunch of cash, and am torn between the dakka MC MK 2 or micro / pulse laser vomit Gargoyle. Undoubtedly the MC MK 2 is the meta build, and will bring in the wins. Then again, 50 points of damage per 2 seconds at point blank range is also hilarious... But, 90m is a long way to close in something as big as a Gargoyle.

#2 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:08 PM

So To be clear, by cash you mean C-Bills, right? It would be insane to spend real money on a non-hero Gargoyle (Or even the Hero Gargoyle, really).

#3 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:14 PM

Yes sorry, c-bills!

#4 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:22 PM

In that case, I can tell you how I feel about it.

Laser Vomit Gargoyle can be extraordinarily fun. And it can do more than Micro/pulse. ERML+ERSL is a build that works pretty well too - The ERMLs give you the opportunity to engage at a decent range, so you can do something while waiting for a good opportunity to rush in and give them the full array. I've also had fun with 4+4 HML builds, though it's very dangerous to yourself.

The problem is that, while the Gargoyle can be fun, it can also be incredibly frustrating. You will get maps where you cant do anything. Teams that wont support you. Minor timing mistakes equal huge structure damage. It can suck.

On the other hand, the dakka Mad Cat always works. Always. Any map, any team, any circumstance, and it'll tear things up. You'll be a proverbial wrecking ball churning through the enemy team.

But its just so god damn boring.

So your choice is between a temperamental junker that's fun sometimes and frustrating at others, or a consistently excellent performer that'll put you to sleep as often as it breaks the score board.

Others will, of course, disagree with me, but that's how I see it.

Edited by Bombast, 30 January 2019 - 12:23 PM.

#5 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:28 PM

Yes that is my analysis as well. Gargoyle it is then. I don't think I could tank this season any harder so may as well have fun, sorry blues :P

#6 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:39 PM

Since this thread has a pretty broad title, Ima ask a somewhat related question...

-Ahem-

WTF do people run in division 7 of Solaris that a scrub might occasionally make work? I need one damn win and a Phoenix Hawk and Panther KK is just not working for me.

Edited by Bud Crue, 30 January 2019 - 12:40 PM.

#7 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:49 PM

Madcat MKII is going to be strong out the box. Gargoyle is something you'll have to work at to do as well consistently.

They're both fun in their own ways, just gotta ask: are you looking for something that's is ready made, or are you looking for a project?

#8 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:51 PM

Laser vomit Gargles is actually pretty fun. It's situational, but so is everything else if you're not a pro. Gargles has good mobility, which makes it a bit more enjoyable.

#9 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:52 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 30 January 2019 - 12:39 PM, said:

WTF do people run in division 7 of Solaris that a scrub might occasionally make work? I need one damn win and a Phoenix Hawk and Panther KK is just not working for me.

Uh... maybe a Ghille? Stealth Armor on the right map may help you get in that crucial first hit.

Streak Kit Fox and fish for a scrub light you can skill shot to death?

#10 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:58 PM

View PostBombast, on 30 January 2019 - 12:52 PM, said:

Uh... maybe a Ghille? Stealth Armor on the right map may help you get in that crucial first hit.

Streak Kit Fox and fish for a scrub light you can skill shot to death?

I'll give one or both a shot. Thanks.

#11 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:18 PM

Since this thread has a pretty broad title, Ima ask a somewhat related question...

-Ahem-

Bombast has decent suggestions. There's also the Hellspawn hero with 6 MPL, ECM, armor quirks, and 5 extra DHS even while sporting stealth armor. You can push up from an XL255 to an XL280 or grab some extra DHS if you don't bring the stealth armor.

Edited by Verilligo, 30 January 2019 - 01:21 PM.

#12 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:39 PM

-Ahem-

What is your Phoenix Hawk build? I mostly ran 4 spl and 2 HMG’s and was around a 4.0 w/l with it. Just leg or CT depending on what you are up against.

Kit Foxes do work well in this division.... srm bombers or C-spl builds

Edited by Marquis De Lafayette, 30 January 2019 - 01:41 PM.

#13 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:05 PM

When you got some cash you can always go for meta dakkacat. I'm running mine with x2 U-AC/10 and one U-AC/20.

#14 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:11 PM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 30 January 2019 - 01:39 PM, said:

What is your Phoenix Hawk build? I mostly ran 4 spl and 2 HMG’s and was around a 4.0 w/l with it. Just leg or CT depending on what you are up against.

Kit Foxes do work well in this division.... srm bombers or C-spl builds

Yeah my problem is that I was trying not to rebuild a mech just for the event. I had 3MPL and a PPC, which I dropped to a snub and than finally 4 MPL and 2 MGs. Got close a couple of times, but no. Then I tried the Panther KK with 4MPL an SRM4 running an XL250. Again a couple of close matches but then a stomp (which broke my will to continue and sent me here to ask the question above.

Ironically, on multiple levels, I decided to rebuild my Loyalty Kit Fox as a streak boat in accordance with Bombast's suggestion above. I went to drop and realized I was still in the Panther KK, but I got the win.

I love when my incompetence pays off like that. /s

Edited by Bud Crue, 30 January 2019 - 02:11 PM.

#15 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:56 PM

The answer is to go slightly off-meta: Blood Asp A!. 3xUAC5+UAC10 + ECM. I only say slightly off meta because it's a Blood Asp and not a MCmkII, and clearly the dakka is meta. You also run the risk of getting the giant shoulder cannons blasted off, but it's still fun.

Edited by Vxheous, 30 January 2019 - 02:56 PM.

#16 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:27 PM

View PostNRP, on 30 January 2019 - 12:51 PM, said:

Laser vomit Gargles is actually pretty fun. It's situational, but so is everything else if you're not a pro. Gargles has good mobility, which makes it a bit more enjoyable.

Agree with you here. I have a few builds that are very powerful and coupled with its excellent speed and agility for a mech its size can make for a very enjoyable experience. However....

Madcat Mk II is hands down a better mech and since the OP doesn't specify a specific variant there is alot of varying builds he could work with and still come out with ahead without falling into the strict meta. For example:

MCII-A

Madcat Mk II - A mounting a UAC/20, 5xMPL and 2xSRM6a. Mixed build, Great DPS, Good Heat Mgmt and most importantly NOT BORING. There are quite a few non-standard, non-meta builds the OP could go with that would be highly effective.

However based on an earlier post, I think he decided on the Gargoyle.

#17 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:38 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 30 January 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

Ironically, on multiple levels, I decided to rebuild my Loyalty Kit Fox as a streak boat in accordance with Bombast's suggestion above. I went to drop and realized I was still in the Panther KK, but I got the win.

Glad you got your win.

I jumped into S7 with a SSRM6x4 Kit Fox just to test my suggestion, got thrown up against a Trebuchet. Tore him apart. Actually felt pretty bad about it, no one going in for a honorable 1v1 deserves to go like that.

#18 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:18 PM

-Ahem-

Is the Uziel still in D7? The freebie can mount two LB10-Xs. I could never make it work but I faced a few highly ranked players that the 'Mech seemed to be practically made for.

#19 LowSubmarino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 30 January 2019 - 05:18 PM, said:

Is the Uziel still in D7? The freebie can mount two LB10-Xs. I could never make it work but I faced a few highly ranked players that the 'Mech seemed to be practically made for.

Because LB10s suck hard.

The only very strong Uziel is the Uziel 6P. And that you run with pulse lasers.

Not with LB10s dwl.

#20 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

View PostLowSubmarino, on 30 January 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

Because LB10s suck hard.

The only very strong Uziel is the Uziel 6P. And that you run with pulse lasers.

Not with LB10s dwl.

Twin LB10-Xs isn't great, but consider that the Uziel can practically twist backward, is very agile, can mount jets and the calibre of 'Mechs in D7 is dire. I'm just a bad Uziel pilot, but it might be worth a try especially as it was a free chassis.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users