71 replies to this topic

#61 PhilTKaswahl

• PipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:35 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 30 January 2019 - 07:17 AM, said:

PIR's are great mechs, until you meet an enemy combatant who knows what the are doing and then the PIR blows up in a pile of sparks.

I've also seen some PIR pilots get cocky/stupid/greedy and charge headlong at a target with exposed components even if said target is looking straight at them and end up eating a high-burst alpha, a dual gauss, or some other kill-shot. Or don't pay attention to the terrain and ram into something that stops them cold and consequently get rekt before they can recover momemtum.

Edited by PhilTKaswahl, 30 January 2019 - 07:37 AM.

#62 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:06 PM

Yeah thats just bad piloting, on the PIR's part. Light piloting has really gone to crap since it came out I have to admit.

#63 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:34 PM

Those moments where you can be super cocky and get away with it are some of the best tho.

Like in Solaris when you have someone on the ropes and they can't even look at you.

#64 LowSubmarino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:17 PM

View PostBlacksheep One, on 27 January 2019 - 02:25 AM, said:

So, many people complain about light mechs. Pirates Banes, Piranhas, the works. For the heck of it, I decided to grab one - sort of a "Know your enemy" night.

Disclaimer: I'm not a great player. I have fun, but I'm not regularly cracking near-1000 match scores, etc. (In part due to what I like playing - I have fun running around on a Raven NARCing people and throwing UAVs up, but it gets me killed. *shrug*) You won't see me on Youtube unless I end up in someone's kill compilation. But honestly, I have fun and that's all I'm looking for.

Picked up a Pirate's Bane. Changed the camo. Hopped into QP with my stock 4 small lasers and two MGs.

Did I get a lot of kills? No. (First night out with one. Getting the hang of it. *shrug* Still got pretty close, and a number of KMDDs.)
Do a lot of damage? Yes. Had some fairly decent damage scores, especially for a played-less-than-an-hour 'mech. (5-600 range.)
Am I an uber Light driver now? Not in the least.

What absolutely blew my mind is just how far in the red people would let their torsos get - on heavies and assaults - before they even bothered paying attention to the light that wasn't (most of the time) even running around them. I was following right behind and shooting. Keeping button 1 and button 2 down. That's it.

It wasn't a "I can't turn/twist fast enough," or "I can't shoot down / see that low" in most cases. Those, hey, you're trying, cool. It's the complete lack of reaction to the hits and the sound of the machine guns. (Or, since it's a PB, even the lack of reaction to the "Low signal." Most of these people weren't even looking around - no twist at all.) I mean, *I* was yelling at them to turn around and shoot at me already!

OK, it would probably be slightly different with a light with no ECM - but again, "Low Signal" and shots hitting your back should say "I should turn around or call one of my own lights." It does fairly bluntly indicate what and where I am.

Does this mean no light anywhere will ever need to be looked at, it's all the players, not the mech? Nah. I'm just - I know I've seen teammates not really react to a light in their back. (I'll usually either start turning or try to find somewhere to back against.) But being in the cockpit of the light and seeing it from that angle was just stunning.

... Also, I highly recommend people grab 'mechs they have trouble with to pilot themselves.

Nobody I know that has any skill has ever, and I mean ever, complained about lights.

Lights are the bane of the aimlessly wandering players, that dont even know where the radar is located in their mechs. And that have no idea they are being shot in the backside.

If somebody things lights are too strong, then they really dont know what theyre talking about. Lights arent op on any level. In fact, they would need a major buff. They are so lethal, because players fall behind consistenly, are oblivious of friendly and enemy movement and just play badly, isolate themselves in utltra slow and clumsy mechs. It is those players that complain about lights.

#65 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:32 PM

View PostUnnatural Growth, on 27 January 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

When a slow azzd assault gets caught out in the open, and is getting ganked by a small, fast light, there is about diddly squat he can do about it, except call for help.

Thats simply not true.
Killing lights that get behind me, is sort of my thing, I love it (After practicing and getting guid at it.)
One light, no problem, I'll brag and tell you on more than a few occasions I've had 3 lights come at me and killed them all.

Some things that help me are:

I use seismic
I'm ultra attuned (sensitive) to red damage flashes on rear arc.
What to do next is a bit situational.

If the lights poking your rear from behind cover, best to keep moving forward towards your team and torso twist so that the incoming damage hits you in the arm rather than rear CT.

You may have to angle your direction of travel and/or swap torso twist sides to make sure your arm and ST receive hits.
As long as your traveling approximately toward your team. Once with the team you should be safer.

Next situation is when the light is really close peaking at your mechs rear.

In this situation I slam REVERSE and Full turn rudder till I can see it.
Most lights aren't that good so you should see it easy.

Stay Calm and frosty and concentrate hard on your cross hair, you must be prepared for the brief moments the light is in them
Don't hesitate, panic and you may miss. One good hit and the light mech may change its mind. And go away or die outright

Even the good light pilots you will see in the pheriphy of your windscreen within reach of arm mounted weapons, if you reverse and full rudder left or right.

It is an ultra rare light pilot that you will not be able to see.

When the light disappears from view, slam opposite rudder, whilst lightly tapping the stop key once or twice whilst full reverse depressed (make your turn faster), will quickly swing your mech around in the opposite direction.
The light will orbit your mech slightly (or fully - depends on light mechs skill) and return to view were you can shoot it again.

No easy but not that hard if you know what to do. But ya gotta practice
(Edit: I learnt this in closed Beta so its nothing new.)

I like assault mechs so due to the frequency of attacks by lights on assualts I figured learning to deal with lights was a must.
And I have never regretted it.

In fact now I really enjoy it and its a bit of a little mini game for me.
Bait.

Although I've picked up a bad habit of flanking in my assualt mech.
Probably due to no or little fear of lights

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 30 January 2019 - 11:40 PM.

#66 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:15 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 30 January 2019 - 08:32 PM, said:

Thats simply not true.
Killing lights that get behind me, is sort of my thing, I love it (After practicing and getting guid at it.)
One light, no problem, I'll brag and tell you on more than a few occasions I've had 3 lights come at me and killed them all.

That one Tourmaline match we had awhile back, where I was last man on my team and I picked your team down from 4 v 1 to just us two was really good. Solid positioning out in the open, there, good use of seismic. You made an absolutely fatal error backing up to that D6/7 ridge that you only survived because there were 20 seconds left on the clock, denying me the option of dipping low, flanking, and then hitting you from above and removing a torso before you could really respond. That tie at the end with both of us one-shot, tho, heh.

#67 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:26 PM

Good times
Guid Times
I thought you got me actually, didn't you?

But then again your in the top 1%
My advice is solid against most lights

Plus,I will admit I'm only decent part time Posted Image
I'm guid wid dat Posted Image

And having a good player trying to kill you, adds some excitement to my day. A welcome change from the random.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 30 January 2019 - 11:33 PM.

#68 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:46 PM

View PostY E O N N E, on 30 January 2019 - 11:15 PM, said:

............. You made an absolutely fatal error backing up to that D6/7 ridge that you only survived because there were 20 seconds left on the clock,......

Perhaps, but no way was I gunna turn my back in vaguely your approach direction

View PostY E O N N E, on 30 January 2019 - 11:15 PM, said:

....... Solid positioning out in the open, there, good use of seismic.......

This, fighting a light in the open is much easier than in a environment with cover IMO.
Longer shooting opportunity window.

I'll head to open ground if possible if a little is giving me trouble, just a bit easier to deal with.

Seismic is nice for the early it can provide, doh its not fool proof.

Though you know all this, so this is more for other who wanna get some payback Posted Image

For War Crimes and all dat.
Posted Image

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 30 January 2019 - 11:47 PM.

#69 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:53 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 30 January 2019 - 11:26 PM, said:

Good times
Guid Times
I thought you got me actually, didn't you?

Nah, game ended in a tie with both of us one shot to the CT because I had to stutter-step tank at the very end to try and clutch a kill. I did manage to herd you and the MAD-IIC in such a way where the MAD-IIC had his arse pointing backward through E6 toward the ring, which gave me an open reverse flank through Death Valley to make a kill shot.

But then again your in the top 1%
My advice is solid against most lights

Your advice is solid against all medium-to-close-range Lights. I was just saying that you almost ruined the good thing you had going that match by getting too close to a vantage point that a Light could use to poke you from and that only the clock prevented that from ending badly. Like you said, you want to be out in the open, but you put yourself not out in the open. :P

And having a good player trying to kill you, adds some excitement to my day. A welcome change from the random.

You did get me a couple matches later, on Caustic. You took up a position in your DWF watching D5 after the fight had been joined and you were shredding my 200IQ team, so I took the risk to dive on you to pull aggro off the main body. It worked, you killed me, but we won because you had to lift off the main group to do so. Mission accomplished. :P

#70 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:59 AM

And who said it wasn't a thinking mans shootaz
Posted Image

#71 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:44 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 29 January 2019 - 07:34 PM, said:

Anyway Paul in extremely clear fashion said this:

The thing is tho ... Paul said exactly the same thing when tiers first appeared. And he lied. Plain and simple. What makes you believe him now?

I haven't seen any tier 4-5 people I know in my games recently, but somewhere around December 2017 - January 2018 I was quite surprised to see my tier 4 unitmate in my solo quickplay match. Since he proudly wears his T4 here on the forum, I went and made sure he was still T4.

*shrug*

I like bashing a guy who posts BS as much as the next person. But buying into PGI's crap with no questions asked isn't any better.

Edited by PhoenixFire55, 31 January 2019 - 01:45 AM.

#72 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:07 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 31 January 2019 - 01:44 AM, said:

I haven't seen any tier 4-5 people I know in my games recently, but somewhere around December 2017 - January 2018 I was quite surprised to see my tier 4 unitmate in my solo quickplay match.

Totally agree. Jan 2018 was prior to the MM change. That change occured in May 2018.Posted Image

I too saw Tier 5 users from my old unit (54MR) in my games in late 2017 / early 2018 just the same as you. I even provided screenshots to PGI proving it IIRC.

After the MM change however - I no longer saw them. We would always drop around the same time, and in Oceanic the community is pretty small, so it was quite noticeable.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users