Eye Opener. (Lights)

71 replies to this topic

#41 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:47 PM

Yeah don't listen to Koniving. Thats a trash build from a below average player that intentionally tanks his own stats so he can abuse lower tier players.

#42 Blacksheep One

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Beer and Cheese

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:04 AM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 28 January 2019 - 05:15 PM, said:

Here it the thing. Generally when your fighting, more often than not, you have something with a whole lot more firepower pointing their guns at you than the light mech trying to gut you. You can only react to one or the other so you ignore the light mech in favor of reacting to the Annihilator who has decided to give you his love and attention. While this is going on, your hoping beyond hope, that you teams sees what is going on and drives off or kills the light mech.

I'll give you the "Generally," but as I mentioned - that wasn't the situation. The guy wasn't even in LOS of most of the rest of my team. And if he'd tried to torso twist or something, I wouldn't have been using him as an example because that, at least, would have been a reaction (or attempt to spread the damage - honestly, twisting left, with the hill on the right, would have been enough to have my damage start affecting his arm or side torso instead.

In other words,

So yeah, sadly, unless you happen to be totally out of the enemies line of fire,

... was exactly the case.

I'll agree, his team generally let him down (I don't recall what was out in front of him any more, but a pull back to drive something off their heavy hitter would have taken a few seconds at most.) I was completely unreacted to until he was deep red.

#43 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 02:33 AM

You shoot at what you can hit. A flea with masc is damn near etherial. Hes just trying to peel your fire off the heavies and assaults that are coming around the corner. Hope the guys behind you kill the light.

#44 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:23 AM

View PostThe Lost Boy, on 29 January 2019 - 02:33 AM, said:

You shoot at what you can hit. A flea with masc is damn near etherial. Hes just trying to peel your fire off the heavies and assaults that are coming around the corner. Hope the guys behind you kill the light.

Like this?

Edited by Darian DelFord, 29 January 2019 - 04:27 AM.

#45 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:25 AM

View PostBlacksheep One, on 29 January 2019 - 12:04 AM, said:

I'll give you the "Generally," but as I mentioned - that wasn't the situation. The guy wasn't even in LOS of most of the rest of my team. And if he'd tried to torso twist or something, I wouldn't have been using him as an example because that, at least, would have been a reaction (or attempt to spread the damage - honestly, twisting left, with the hill on the right, would have been enough to have my damage start affecting his arm or side torso instead.

In other words,

... was exactly the case.

I'll agree, his team generally let him down (I don't recall what was out in front of him any more, but a pull back to drive something off their heavy hitter would have taken a few seconds at most.) I was completely unreacted to until he was deep red.

Fair enough. However I have seen Assault mech pilots just give up when confronted by a light mech. I mean I have zero doubts in my mind that I could take out any of the 100 ton monstrosities with my PIR-1 using 12 MGs 1 vs 1 as long as I managed to close in the knee biting distance before he noticed me. I also know that when I am piloting one of those 100 ton monstrosities that there is nothing more scary than seeing a PIR or Flea heading my direction because I know I don't have a chance in hell of beating them and if I am moderately damaged at the time they come, I am more likely to stand a chance against a fresh full dakka Madcat MkII than one of them.

#46 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:29 AM

Well, certainly, the more green an assault pilot is, the more threatening a piranha appears. I see it as a yummy snack.

#47 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:52 AM

View PostThe Lost Boy, on 28 January 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

That King Crab build tho! Good damage, but that build!

Its a light hunter. Made specifically to be insulting to Piranhas because "Piranhas are OP", blah blah blah... so the build is meant to be a slap in the face of all the meta warmongerers that cry about Piranhas being overpowered.

Such builds used to be the secret to lowering my tier deliberately, but....then I got good with them. Posted Image Now I can't "legitimately" play and keep my tier low anymore, so I've been climbing. Another 400 matches like this and I'll be back to tier 2 despite everything I've tried to stop it. (Game stops being fun when there's only 9 mechs and 4 builds that are worth anything / to be encountered.)

(Rough estimate based on the rate I'm climbing^) Gotta love that EXP bar.

View PostPrototelis, on 28 January 2019 - 11:47 PM, said:

Yeah don't listen to Koniving. Thats a trash build from a below average player that intentionally tanks his own stats so he can abuse lower tier players.

You can abuse lower tier players by being in tier 1, PGI regularly changes whether tier 1s can face tier 4 or tier 5 depending on how long it takes to find a match.

The only difference is my builds give them a chance. "Non-trash" builds are just there to farm for the stats.

#48 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:15 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 28 January 2019 - 11:47 PM, said:

LOL everything about him is a joke. "No really, I lose on purpose!"

Regarding assaults vs lights, that's why I always prefer to take a JJ-equipped assault if possible. You're pretty hard to backshot if you're jump-twisting all over. Just gotta be alert when you start getting hit.

#49 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:10 PM

View PostKoniving, on 29 January 2019 - 10:52 AM, said:

You can abuse lower tier players by being in tier 1, PGI regularly changes whether tier 1s can face tier 4 or tier 5 depending on how long it takes to find a match.

The only difference is my builds give them a chance. "Non-trash" builds are just there to farm for the stats.

I do not (or should not) see tier 4 or 5 players in my matches. You do. Thats why you throw games on purpose.

#50 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:18 PM

PGI regularly changes whether tier 1s can face tier 4 or tier 5 depending on how long it takes to find a match.

Proof once again required of outlandish statement.

#51 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:47 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 29 January 2019 - 06:18 PM, said:

Proof once again required of outlandish statement.

If you need it that badly you are welcome to go through 2017 patch notes or ask Chris Lowry via twitter or red fit or whatever you kids enjoy using these days. It is your lifelong career after all, shouldn't you stay informed? They did 1 month of mixing everyone while working out an issue before deciding to change something about how the match system worked to expedite matchmaking. In 2015 (16?) when the tier system first started with tier 5 they also had a while where the tiers would include every on before fixing it.

#52 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:55 PM

Its also part of the release valve system fIrst to drop is the weight class matching. If it goes beyond a certain time and then it looks beyond the 1 tier up/down limit. There are 5 tiers. If you have tier 3 as the focalnpoint you already have tiers 3, 2, 4, 5...and 1. So what happens when it goes beyond the1 tier up and down... it pulls tier 1 first and if still looking it pulls tier 5.

Though the above mentioned before is when they turned it on as a regular thing since the release valves were not functioning correctly.

No matter what... once you hit tier 1 all there is left is "equally skilled players" and the cattle to farm for higher stats. From tier 3 I haveenemies of supposedly better skills to face. What in turn do you face? "Better enemies " or on par and lesser skilled?

#53 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:34 PM

View PostKoniving, on 29 January 2019 - 06:47 PM, said:

If you need it that badly you are welcome to go through 2017 patch notes or ask Chris Lowry via twitter

So basically, you don't have any Posted Image

Lets skip 2017 shall we? 2017 doesn't mean anything. In fact it's about as relevant as your age old videos you continually post around the place to prove, well, nothing.

Instead lets Fast Forward to May 2018 where Paul - who is above Chris - Posted this MM update thread ->HERE<-. It also happens to be a sticky thread at the very top of this very sub-forum.

Given the sheer volume of time you spend spreading misinformation around here, rather than playing, how have you not read that extensively detailed thread? I guess it discussed accurate details only.

Anyway Paul in extremely clear fashion said this:

View PostPaul Inouye, on 30 May 2018 - 02:10 PM, said:

So what did I do to address this? Here's the scoop.

1) Stop allowing Tier 1 players to play against Tier 4 and 5 players completely. Hard line.. no ifs ands or buts no matter how low the player count is in off peak times. To do this, the value for Tier separation has been set to 2. The biggest skill gap allowed now is Tier 1 to Tier 3. Tier 2 to Tier 4. Tier 3 to Tier 5.

So please, as I asked, provide some actual proof to yet another post of yours filled with totally and utterly wrong information.

Might I suggest you head to the Flat-eathers website/forum. Over there they would no doubt truly appreciate your skills of spreading misinformation while pretending you actually know what you are talking about.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 29 January 2019 - 07:38 PM.

#54 SlippnGriff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 220 posts
  • LocationSpud farm

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:09 PM

Its a light hunter. Made specifically to be insulting to Piranhas because "Piranhas are OP", blah blah blah... so the build is meant to be a slap in the face of all the meta warmongerers that cry about Piranhas being overpowered.

Such builds used to be the secret to lowering my tier deliberately, but....then I got good with them. Posted Image Now I can't "legitimately" play and keep my tier low anymore, so I've been climbing. Another 400 matches like this and I'll be back to tier 2 despite everything I've tried to stop it. (Game stops being fun when there's only 9 mechs and 4 builds that are worth anything / to be encountered.)

(Rough estimate based on the rate I'm climbing^) Gotta love that EXP bar.

just learn how to aim like you learned to photoshop your k/d and find those sexy milfs online

#55 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:48 PM

Talk about painting yourself into a corner.

#56 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:58 PM

View PostUnnatural Growth, on 27 January 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

OP nascars around and catches a Fafnir in the open. Starts shooting him in the back. While he's out in the middle of the &quot;open&quot;. Fifnir is *probably* on voip (well, ok maybe, but OP has no way of knowing), the whole time hollering for help from his team. Because he's a Fafnir. Caught by a light. Out in the open.

There's diddly squat the Fafnir can do about the light behind him. No way a Locust can't stay behind a FAFNIR, who's turning speed can be measured in MINUTES.

All the Fafnir pilot can do is call for help. Sounds like he didn't get any.

So the OP comes to the forums and makes a thread about it.

Yeah, it was the FAFNIR's fault.

Totally legit.

The fafnir shouldn't have been there in the first place. Most of the time, when you end up with a light gnawing on your fattie's bum, a sequence of bad decisions led to it. Before the engagement is when all the diddly squat should have been done.

Also, good assault pilots are definitely able to torso/leg twist to face the light mech. No matter how good the light mech pilot is, if the assault pilots knows how to twist properly, he will eventually have a window where he can get the light mech in his sights. When yoy are in a light mech facing an opponent you know is good, expect to eat an alpha.

The trick is as simple as twisting with your legs in the opposite direction the light is moving in. If the light is moving clockwise and you try to turn clockwise as well, he's just going to stay on your bum. Twist anticlockwise with your torso AND your legs. And switch to clockwise if he reacts. Assault pilots who allow light mechs to stick behind them are poor pilots.

#57 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:59 AM

My biggest issue here, isn't even light mechs, it's MG's and their crit ability.

I remember back when zombie mechs was viable... you had a stick CN9-A, but you still had 2 mlas in the CT, you were still a viable threat... these days, all a mech has to do is give you a liberal spritz with MG fire, and oh, those two ML's are toast, now my mech has absolutely nothing.

on the note of ignoring lights shooting your back, part of the problem is, those initial couple of hits from a light, tend to be ignored due to being in a fight with a larger, more viable threat... if you come up behind me while I'm focusing down something bigger, and fire into my back, yeah, for the most part, I'm going to ignore the arguably small amounts of DPS you're doing [despite the fact that DPS is realistically stacking to dangerous levels.] because of the pinpoint damage of what I'm fighting... if I turn to face the light engaging my back, I open my now exposed back to the enemy I was fighting, which likely will finish me off quicker than the light mech because of high PPFLD.

on the same token, the issue I have again, revolves right back to MG's... you strip my back then spray MG bullets all over my side torso's and ct... now a majority of my weapon systems are just, POOF GONE... because of the MG's insane rate of fire and crit seeking ability, The light essentially get's a free pass to probing my backside with no lube, while I'm trying to fight bubba infront of me, who also isn't keen on using lube...

It's a catch 22 situation.

HOWEVER, I also find those situations to be outlayer situations when I rage at lights, if a light get's a kill on me while I'm engaged with something heavier, fine, I got stuck out and pincered...that's on me, what really grinds my gears however, is when it's just me and a light, facing off, and despite all the laser fire I may pour into the damned thing, it just sits there running circles [or simi-circles since I try to get my back to a wall asap generally] around me, letting it's apparent void shields soak up damage while I flail at attempting to hit the damned thing.

In these instance, I will continue to advocate for a +10% increase to pitch angle of torso's... a phirannah shouldn't be free from being hit by pressing up against my mech's crotch.

#58 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:44 AM

If a light mech is circling you consistently, he is doing it wrong. Grated Most assaults still act like a dancing ballerina and even fully specced in mobility it is hard to stay behind an assault. Lights are suffering the worst from the power creep. With common alpha's hitting almost 60+ now, one stray move from a light and its toast. Lights have to be able to compete. Honestly the mobility of heavies need to be restricted even more, They are just to good all the way around.

#59 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:04 AM

View PostNightbird, on 29 January 2019 - 09:29 AM, said:

Well, certainly, the more green an assault pilot is, the more threatening a piranha appears. I see it as a yummy snack.

the problem with that, is that the PIR pilot doesn't need you to be panicked, just the other 11 on your team. a good light pilot will pick its targets.

i literally just bought one to see what the fuss is about, it was hilarious how scared people were of it. one game, another PIR and I just tore through the entire enemy team, strafing the enemies with flamers and MGs. we weren't even doing much damage, but the effect was enough that the enemy just tried to shoot at us while our team wrecked their faces.

haven't had this much fun in MWO since my 12 SPLs SCR days, #RIP

#60 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:17 AM

PIR's are great mechs, until you meet an enemy combatant who knows what the are doing and then the PIR blows up in a pile of sparks.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users