• 89 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

A Thug I'd actually WANT to look at?

no wai!

#22 bert bargo

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

Ugh! Oh god! As a fan of both designs for years and years, I'm thrilled to see them getting modernized!

I'd fall down if they both made it in game...

OP, if youre doing requests, can you also do a drawing of the Champion? That's one of my most favorite underrated mechs ever..

Edited by bert bargo, 30 July 2012 - 08:21 AM.

#23 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

I gotta say, I think one element that always did bug me with ye olde Thug was the back canted walker legs. With them being bipedal/humanoid in thickness and all I never liked them, then the old 3025 Succession Wars TRO pops up with a "NORMAL" human style leg... and it still looked odd. About the only leg style I foound really worked (for me) was the Nova Cat/ Thanatos "dog" leg style/.

Poor Thug ain't gonna win any beauty pageants though, I Ithinkk, no matter how one gussies her up. But I do like to use one.

#24 Damion Sparhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 799 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 29 July 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

*Sigh* I am really gonna have to give up my Luddite ways I guess. I just dislike the lack of "original" copy, especially for commission work. Obviously we are talking illustrating, essentially vs the next Mona Lisa, but I do think even this medium has it's place as legit art.. but how does one "Collect" rare pieces?

Plus I admit, I find photoshop totally bewildering. It feels like it was designed to allow computer programmers to draw, not to be used by "traditional media" artists, because NOTHING is remotely intuitive. Someone reccomended GIMP to me as a more "logical" alternative. As for the Tablets... they scare me, lol. I dunno, I just like the feel of pens and pencils in my hand. Probably always gonna hold me back form getting on in this type of forum.

photoshop is -not- user friendly, by any sense of the word I have found :rolleyes: I've had a whole lot more success with GIMP 2, just a couple video's and I'm making decent signatures and transparant animations and figuring out more and more without much effort.

#25 Gherrek

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

Brilliant art, have you got a deviant art page or something with other mechs on it? If so link please!

#26 Ravyn

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

View PostTG Xarbala, on 25 July 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

Chris Daranouvong again. A little while back I did some commissioned art for a fan-made TRO, TRO:3063, including working with Anthony "ShimmeringSword" Scroggins on the cover. I figure you guys might appreciate this. Or might not. The Guillotine I did replaced the previous sketch in the TRO entry, and it's a fairly straightforward sharpening up of the canon design. You can tell I was aping FD's art style with it, though, and careful examination will show the torso is a mite janky. It's literally the first TRO-style illustration I ever did that wasn't just a sketch or messing around. The Thug, on the other hand, was a dramatic redesign and I felt I could only get away with it because 1) nobody likes the canon Thug design and 2) the Thug specifically isn't considered iconic or especially notable in the way more famous `Mechs are.

While sketching I mostly just have fun with shapes and try to get forms down, I lack an engineer's eye for these things and my work suffers for my tendency to "wing it." For something like a TRO illustration, I try to pack on more detail than I would have a mind to in color work (which I'm also new at!) and more often than not when I find myself wondering what to do with a piece of `Mech that needs detailing, I take a look at what FD does.

When it comes to constructing appealing-looking `Mechs and their shapes and silhouettes it was always David White's work that inspired me most. In my mind, the MW4 Fafnir and Owens have completely shoved aside the TRO art for what their respective `Mech designs should be. However, when it comes to fine detailing and dealing with those pesky joints, Alex Iglesias has been a revelation in the BT art world and he's easily the giant in whose footsteps I try, and usually fail, to follow. His work takes the love of detailed machinery you see in Armored Core games or "Real Robot" mecha anime production materials and applies them to the much more solid and industrial-feeling Battletech aesthetic, and it's easy to see why his work was chosen to represent the face of BT and MechWarrior to a new gaming generation.

But enough talk! Have at you!

Canon art of these `Mechs can be found here, and all caveats to the quality of old Battletech art apply:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Guillotine
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Thug

So here's the Guillotine:
Posted Image

And here's the Thug:
Posted Image

So when the game goes live (or even just open beta) and you find me pubbing it up in a match, feel free to tell me to stop playing MWO and to get back to work.

Excellent work Sir!

#27 Assault One

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 134 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:52 PM

*Whistles*

Absolutely gorgeous. I can't decide which of the two I like more.

#28 FoxyFlashbang

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

Both of these are mind blowing!
I love dat Thug to pieces. Look at those feet! It looks so... Planted! Like it would take an act of God or orbital bombardment to get that thing to move even a single inch once it gets stuck in...
And thank you for giving the Guillotine sensible shoulders.

#29 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

View PostTG Xarbala, on 25 July 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

Chris Daranouvong again. A little while back I did some commissioned art for a fan-made TRO, TRO:3063, including working with Anthony "ShimmeringSword" Scroggins on the cover. I figure you guys might appreciate this. Or might not. The Guillotine I did replaced the previous sketch in the TRO entry, and it's a fairly straightforward sharpening up of the canon design. You can tell I was aping FD's art style with it, though, and careful examination will show the torso is a mite janky. It's literally the first TRO-style illustration I ever did that wasn't just a sketch or messing around. The Thug, on the other hand, was a dramatic redesign and I felt I could only get away with it because 1) nobody likes the canon Thug design and 2) the Thug specifically isn't considered iconic or especially notable in the way more famous `Mechs are.

While sketching I mostly just have fun with shapes and try to get forms down, I lack an engineer's eye for these things and my work suffers for my tendency to "wing it." For something like a TRO illustration, I try to pack on more detail than I would have a mind to in color work (which I'm also new at!) and more often than not when I find myself wondering what to do with a piece of `Mech that needs detailing, I take a look at what FD does.

When it comes to constructing appealing-looking `Mechs and their shapes and silhouettes it was always David White's work that inspired me most. In my mind, the MW4 Fafnir and Owens have completely shoved aside the TRO art for what their respective `Mech designs should be. However, when it comes to fine detailing and dealing with those pesky joints, Alex Iglesias has been a revelation in the BT art world and he's easily the giant in whose footsteps I try, and usually fail, to follow. His work takes the love of detailed machinery you see in Armored Core games or "Real Robot" mecha anime production materials and applies them to the much more solid and industrial-feeling Battletech aesthetic, and it's easy to see why his work was chosen to represent the face of BT and MechWarrior to a new gaming generation.

But enough talk! Have at you!

Canon art of these `Mechs can be found here, and all caveats to the quality of old Battletech art apply:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Guillotine
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Thug

So here's the Guillotine:

And here's the Thug:

So when the game goes live (or even just open beta) and you find me pubbing it up in a match, feel free to tell me to stop playing MWO and to get back to work.

Very good!!

#30 Zavadan

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCalloway VI

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

Great art work!

#31 ackstorm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 164 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:23 PM

These are great pictures, and fit well into MWO's current style. Instead we get so-so mechs in the resistance pack. Come on PGI!

#32 Grendel408

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:24 AM

Dat Thug... damn! Both pieces are wonderfully done, but the Thug redesign is just epic :D

#33 DarkClownIII

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:13 AM

Both of them have their shoulder cover/ blades overdone, especially the thug.

Still;

+1

Keep it going ^^

As memory serves, this is how it looket ingame;

http://fc06.devianta...sss-d74uy51.gif

Edited by DarkClownIII, 20 March 2016 - 03:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users