My Thoughts On The Pts 2.0

4 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:58 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 16 January 2019 - 05:44 PM, said:

Spoiler

For consideration, above is my first thought on the PTS 1.0. And the changes overall, now seems a bit okay, but I have certain things to add.

LOS lock-time could be improved further, into 25% to 33.33% bonus. But the proper approach would have been that TAG retained it's Lock-Speed boost and would work with the 20% default LOS boost to get it up to 33.33%, this is to give TAG better personal use which as it always had been a good LOS companion equipment for LRMs.

The TAG and NARC feeling like necessary for effective IDF is a good thing, but for it to be truly effective is for it to function as close to DF in terms of performance such as the spread. This gives dedicated spotters a bit more use. However TAG still needs to be improved by having a toggle switch, and invisible beam saved for Thermal and Night Vision.

I feel the Spread difference between DF and IDF use, but not so much on Clans mainly because a large part of spreading the damage is it's stream-fire than cone-of-fire. This also the same reason why I no longer take Artemis on Clan LRMs -- because they spread inevitably due to the stream. To put this into perspective, the 190m/s velocity with 0.5s delay/shot means it's about 0.2 to 0.95s worth of distance between the first and last shot, which is basically the entire beam is 38 to 180.5 meter across that could be spread around -- the Spread bonus would only modify the cone-of-fire but on top of that the volley is still stretched out up to 180 meters across regardless. And considering that, it's much more detrimental to chainfire LRMs, because it's spreading the entire Clan streams even more, as opposed of IS LRMs that spaces the shot at 0.5s in between.

For the IDF, I feel that the current spread at Live Version should have been the baseline for LRMs in IDF, and then the DF would have a better spread for that. The spread-bonus should also be active during TAG or NARC though, so that using TAG or NARC is an equivalent to being in DF.

The additional time to lock when you go behind cover seems to be a nice touch, it's a good incentive to keep people looking out. That being said, It would feel rather intrusive for poptarting with missiles, and would make it also a lot intrusive than before because people could easily destabilize locks by going behind cover. So it would best be done away.

One way to make DF more competitive with other DF weapons is having LRMs capable of tracking when fired, even if the lock is incomplete which can be later completed in mid-air with maximum tracking strength. This also comes at a bonus of somewhat exclusively balancing the streaks apart from ATMs and LRMs, because streaks would still be required locks before it can fire. The LRMs could stand longer locks this way.

The distinction between IDF and DF should be more pronounced at mid-range. The distinction of time-to-target becomes less pronounced the closer you are, similarly the lock time, thus it's less incentivising to use LOS when you are actually close, because the difference in time-to-target or lock becomes less and you're only presenting a large target in terms of trading and retaliation. What would have been a good approach is have either the distant-dependent lock-speed either working both at IDF and DF, or just at DF alone which would make IDF less dependent to distance which was the point of IDF.

So far the PTS 2.0 feels a nice touch, I have yet to use it on IDF because i'm not getting any drops. I can't get a handle on the distance-based lock-time penalty w/o TAG/NARC, so I cannot really comment on those.

Same case with the AMS changes, although with varying missile-health already in which missiles are less vulnerable to AMS the smaller their tube counts are, I see no use of ATM3s having completely faster volley-ROF from other ATMs.

However, there's still parts that are lacking:

There still should be a Lock-Cone improvement. One way to do it is to just add Lock-Cone buffs integrated on the Targetting-Computers, and have it larger by default. It's understandable to nerf the Locking mechanism for streaks, the problem is that you can't have it both ways; small Lock-Cone and long Lock-Time.

Clans having stream-fire should ACTIVELY change angle during the course of the stream, come on, it has to be fixed. IS launchers launch their missiles relatively instantly all at once, but Clan doesn't.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 10 February 2019 - 06:44 PM.

#2 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:00 AM

The ATMS:

Apart from the very powerful use of ATMs in the sweet-spot, the ATMs are now rather redundant to be used in Mid-Range, and on top of that it has worse heat efficiency versus LRMs which makes it even worse at being used at Long Range.

If you want to use homing missiles at mid-range and beyond, the LRMs would work better than ATMs right now. Ironically, LRMs is more of a jack-of-all-trades than ATMs are supposedly.

It's hotter for mid-range and long-range use, and it's basically a waste of ammo to use in long range than LRMs. If it's just supposedly for close-range dominance, that's fine, but if you want it further out it's highly redundant to LRMs -- and it's funny considering that the UI actually shows it's Mid-Range damage.

The best way to fix ATMs is to finally have that ammo-switching, because you could assign different heat, different CD, Different projectile speed, and Ammo/ton to ATM's ammo.

For Example at ATM 9:
Spoiler

Mechanically-Wise, it could possibly be done by replacing the weapon within the middle of the game with identical health and current cooldown state - and cannot switch ammo (weapon) when in cooldown or during the stream.

The Ammo-Switching is a beautiful solution for ATMs, because now it would be three different weapons that could be balanced, tailored at different target performance. HE ammo could have low ammo-count as it's short coming aside from limited range, which means builds are more limited if they want to make HE-centric builds.

Unfortunately, there's no Ammo-Switching in the game, so here's my different take;

Spoiler

If you can integrate Ammo-Switching, definitely go for the ammo switching though.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 07 February 2019 - 05:12 PM.

#3 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:20 PM

TL;DR

- Need better distinction of spread from DF and IDF -- particularly better spread and lower arc for DF.
- IDF Spread should be that of the current Live spread, and then the DF spread should be at 20 - 25% of the current live-spread.
- TAG and NARC needs Lock-Time buff of 15%, to get DF lock-speed bonus up to 33.33% -- this is to be more competitive against DF weapons.
- The IDF Lock-Speed Penalty depending on the distance should instead work as DF Lock-Speed Bonus.
- Another way to make LRMs more competitive to DF weapons is allowing LRMs to be fired with tracking immediately even with incomplete Lock, with gradual increase or decrease of tracking-strength based on how complete the lock is.
- TAG and NARC needs similar spread like that of the DF spread while active.
- TAG needs love, because it's an important companion to LRM users. Add toggle switch, and invisible beam but visible on Thermal and Night Vision.
- Lock-Cone increase via TC, and have it larger by default. It's okay to balance for streak, it's not okay to have both long Lock-Time and small Lock-Cone.
- CLRMs volley-fire means Spread-Bonuses has less effect, and therefore should have better spread bonus.

- ATM becomes redundant at mid-range, it's an opportunity to tweak:
- > Either ATMs should have ammo-switching and thereby 3-in-1 weapon with different balance.
- > or make the hybridized ammo work a lot better like so:
-- > ATM damage to 1.6/2.0/2.4 without min-range to make it more flexible at all ranges, than wasteful at long-range and domineering at short-range
-- > ATM Heat/missile to 0.8333/0.75/0.7222/0.7083
-- > ATM fire-and-forget to compensate for lower damage and sustained DPS than LRMs.
-- > ATM Volley interval to 0.1s to spread the damage further and make ATMs feel more different
-- > ATM Missile Health increase to compensate for everything

Edited by The6thMessenger, 10 February 2019 - 06:42 PM.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:29 PM

if there was one abandoned feature that i think the game could use it would be the long tom ammo switching. it would bring so much to the game and wouldn't require a massive overhaul to mech geometry to implement (unlike newtech which sounds like a bloody nightmare in lieu of a proper weapon model system). i could run epod for when my team didnt bring any lerms to the party. different types of lerms, streaks, srms, shell types. lots of fun thingstuffs.

#5 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:25 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 07 February 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

if there was one abandoned feature that i think the game could use it would be the long tom ammo switching. it would bring so much to the game and wouldn't require a massive overhaul to mech geometry to implement (unlike newtech which sounds like a bloody nightmare in lieu of a proper weapon model system). i could run epod for when my team didnt bring any lerms to the party. different types of lerms, streaks, srms, shell types. lots of fun thingstuffs.

I really like that, I do, I really really do. It will basically balance the ATM magically because it can be tweaked for 3 different weapons with different limitations, than one weapon trying to do 3 jobs all at once.

Problem is PGI won't bother with Ammo-Switching, cause they can't code it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users