#21 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:28 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 12 February 2019 - 01:54 AM, said:

Anyone that blames 'oh my ping is 150ms that's why I miss my shots' is absolutely full of it

There is a notable difference. I for one refuse to play on NA server (150ms) compared to EU (40ms) since I can easily track an average difference in damage done in the same mech in relatively same conditions between servers. Its not anywhere near as bad as what we had prior to HSR, but it still exists.

#22 w4ldO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 298 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:51 AM

View PostBurning2nd, on 12 February 2019 - 01:45 AM, said:

your only going to get what the monitor will allow

I use TV's 43" 1080p the next upgrade is a 4k 120

But none of this is as important as your ping,

TVs for gaming?
ever heard of input lag?
and ping isnt as important as your display is. especially with a game that has a proper netcode.

@topic: the more fps the better
funfact: in Quake 3 when you had more fps you would move at a faster rate

#23 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:06 AM

View PostOrkusMorkus, on 12 February 2019 - 04:14 AM, said:

Some related questions - I feel Im also suffering performance-wise due to FPS issues.

Most of the time my FPS is fine, but during close quarters fighting especially when when receiving fire my FPS tanks massively and I really struggle to put the damage out like I see other players do.

I understand MWO isn't the most optimised game out there, if so its unlikely to be completely a hardware issue:

1. Is there any sort of guide or collection of tips on how to get MWO's FPS to remain more stable? (I noticed the one about running it in W7 compatability mode, thanks I'll give it a shot).

2. If I upgrade my GPU to something far in excess of requirements, will that overall increase in capability translate to better performance in those crucial close combat moments, or will it just tank down to really low FPS either way?

My current is a FX-6300 CPU and GTX 1050ti, I am looking at buying something like a 1070ti if it will help. Sorry to hijack the thread Posted Image

CPU seems fine, i am not that experienced with AMDs. GPU should be upgraded, a 1070 or 1070ti should boost your fps quite a lot so there is more buffer when things go crazy. Press F9 ingame to show your fps, i think you in the 40ish range? Depending on the settings of course.

Edited by Kotzi, 12 February 2019 - 06:11 AM.

#24 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:11 AM

Yes.

#25 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:34 AM

Yes improved FPS will make aiming smoother and easier. People have always try to get better FPS in any first person game that has aiming. I remember back in the day people us to play Counter Strike with all textures and stuff off to get the highest FPS they could.

Edited by SirSmokes, 12 February 2019 - 06:34 AM.

#26 OrkusMorkus

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:44 AM

View PostKotzi, on 12 February 2019 - 06:06 AM, said:

CPU seems fine, i am not that experienced with AMDs. GPU should be upgraded, a 1070 or 1070ti should boost your fps quite a lot so there is more buffer when things go crazy. Press F9 ingame to show your fps, i think you in the 40ish range? Depending on the settings of course.

Thanks, I think I will.

Yeah FPS is about 40-50 normally, outside of the aforementioned drops.

#27 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:03 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 12 February 2019 - 06:34 AM, said:

Yes improved FPS will make aiming smoother and easier. People have always try to get better FPS in any first person game that has aiming. I remember back in the day people us to play Counter Strike with all textures and stuff off to get the highest FPS they could.

Ye, those smoke grenades looked awfull, pun intended.;)

#28 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:22 AM

To be more specific better frametimes and consistent fps is helpful. Back in the day I played at sub 30 and while not the prettiest gameplay it was mostly fine until it dropped to like 15 and had a lot of high frametime spikes and stuttering. Essentially the visuals would pause for 100-500ms every once and a while and that will throw you off a lot, especially if you get a bunch of them in quick succession. Thing is you can get that even if you have good fps (Main issue I have, mostly in 12v12). I would take a constant 30fps with 33.3ms frametimes over a ~60fps that has a lot of frametime spikes.

Ping is also similar. You can probably play this game fine with up to a 350 maybe 400ping as long as it stays around that. However if the ping is going up and down between 250-350 or the guy you are shooting at is then it might not work so well. Even jumping around 100-150 would probably play worse than a nearly constant 300.

Edited by dario03, 12 February 2019 - 07:23 AM.

#29 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:24 AM

View PostKotzi, on 12 February 2019 - 07:03 AM, said:

Ye, those smoke grenades looked awfull, pun intended.Posted Image

https://www.google.c...550071465823187

http://images.akamai...2AAF5C616FC294/

Edited by SirSmokes, 12 February 2019 - 07:25 AM.

#30 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:47 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 12 February 2019 - 01:54 AM, said:

Anyone that blames 'oh my ping is 150ms that's why I miss my shots' is absolutely full of it

200 ms ping difference is big in Solaris. If the opponent is playing from NA with 50ms ping and I am playing with 250ms ping from Asia, then should we both round the corner at the same time, you can bet his shot will hit me first, as 0.2 second is basically an average human reaction time. Lost several very close matches that way.

Which is why I place special emphasis on positioning in my matches. I might not get the shot off faster but I make sure that I will be in a position to see the opponent first.

#31 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:00 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 12 February 2019 - 04:28 AM, said:

There is a notable difference. I for one refuse to play on NA server (150ms) compared to EU (40ms) since I can easily track an average difference in damage done in the same mech in relatively same conditions between servers. Its not anywhere near as bad as what we had prior to HSR, but it still exists.

Damn right there a notable difference. If I play on oceanic I can see how delayed some of the weapons are. 300+ ping you will see weapons not hit as fast as they should.

Edited by SirSmokes, 12 February 2019 - 08:08 AM.

#32 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:32 AM

As long as you have a steady 40-50fps in solaris city during a brawl you don't really need more as that's the fps I fight light mechs like the locusts play-able. Aanything under 40 fps and you'll better off playing a different game or using newer hard ware.

#33 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:40 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 12 February 2019 - 09:32 AM, said:

As long as you have a steady 40-50fps in solaris city during a brawl you don't really need more as that's the fps I fight light mechs like the locusts play-able. Aanything under 40 fps and you'll better off playing a different game or using newer hard ware.

There are diminishing returns pass 60 fps but higher FPS is helpful. Thing is the return you get passed 60 fps are not really worth it for MWO. Other more twitchy shooter it might be little more helpful. Also to really get better FPS with MWO video card only going give you so much. If you really want to see a big bump in FPS you want to get a better CPU for MWO. Better CPU going to do more then anything to improve MWO FPS. But that means new mother board and CPU that not cheap...

#34 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:12 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 12 February 2019 - 04:28 AM, said:

Yes and that is my point - HSR. Fixes/addresses most of it in MWO.

I mean I can play on EU with upwards of 400ms ping. Hitreg is fine for the most part. Even during all the comp stuff last year, constantly on NA servers with 250ms. No one on the NA servers with 20-30ms was saying I was impossible to hit and nor were they - and this is firing PPCs @ 1000m as well. If there was such big issues/delay, in stock mode, shots like that would missing all day long yet my dmg numbers were consistent and similar to opponents (EmP teammates).

We are totally splitting hairs in terms of difference within MWO. Other games, totally agree that ping makes much more of a difference.

#35 PhilTKaswahl

• PipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:10 AM

Being in the Philippines and its weird ISP routings, I have little choice but to play on 200 to 300 png on the NA and EU servers since there is no dedicated server for Asian regions. Both are roughly the same ping-wise; oddly, while the OC region is geographically closer the routing to their server by my ISP is apparently all ****** since I get 300 to 400 ping there and it fluctuates a lot more (so I leave it unchecked).

I will say one thing I like about the game, though: even with that ping the game plays fine and I don't even notice it unlike with games like, say, CSGO or Overwatch where that kind of ping is often noticeably a disadvantage.

Edited by PhilTKaswahl, 13 February 2019 - 04:12 AM.

#36 O L L O

• PipPipPip
  • Korpral Første Klasse
  • Korpral Første Klasse
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:45 AM

View PostKotzi, on 12 February 2019 - 06:06 AM, said:

Hm, I always heard AMD CPUs up until Ryzen suck at MWO and that any midrange GPU will get the job done,

I would advice the OP to get more opinions on this before spending any money.

EDIT: I'm concerned about the lowest dips, not highest FPS, that's why a fast GPU is not so important in my opinion. The low dips would be due to CPU speed in critical moments.

Edited by Ollollo, 13 February 2019 - 04:56 AM.

#37 Kotis77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:17 AM

I had problems with bad fps when aiming. Ping is a different thing. You cant really fix that. You just gotta get used to it.

My advice to guys who want better fps is to upgrade CPU or overclock it or adjust bios settings. Best thing is just buy faster CPU.

But im poor so i went for overclocking and bios settings. I got i5 4960k @ 4.4GHz. There is big risk in overclocking if you dont know what to do, so google it before doing it. Bios settings on other hand isnt that risky. You gotta disable all settings that says power savings. And enable all that says better performance. Best performance that i got for my second computer by disabling CPU thermal throttling. Its risky to disable that and it might lead to shorter CPU lifespan. But CPU thermal throttling will keep your core load ~80%(at least for me) so disabling that you get 20% more power out of your CPU. And remember that you keep your CPU temps low as possible. I think 70-80C is max for most CPU's

And of course set video settings so low that you get at least 30-40fps min in when battle is busiest whit lrms/particles in the air. Under 30-40fps its so ******* hard aim and land shots. Best thing is to get 60+ fps min of course :D

And mouse settings is so damn important to land shots. I think most of best players are within 300-800dpi.

I got 400 and in game settings on 1

Edited by Kotis77, 13 February 2019 - 06:36 AM.

#38 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:49 AM

View Postw4ldO, on 12 February 2019 - 04:51 AM, said:

TVs for gaming?
ever heard of input lag?
and ping isnt as important as your display is. especially with a game that has a proper netcode.

@topic: the more fps the better
funfact: in Quake 3 when you had more fps you would move at a faster rate

Televisions have a gaming picture mode that weakens image quality in exchange for faster response times. I still wouldn't use it for competitive Counter-Strike but it's perfectly adequate for 99% of situations.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users