Dual Gauss Is Assault

11 replies to this topic

#1 Harrison Kelly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:40 AM

Hi, returning to this game after a couple years' absence and had some questions about the newer IS assault 'Mechs. I'm looking for the best platform for a specific sort of build:

2x Gauss Rifles (NOT Heavy) and 2+ ERLL.

I've been running a VTR-9A1 with this setup, but it requires XL, which makes it very squishy. Another annoying part about the Victor is that its weapons are pretty low-mounted, which makes hill-peaking interesting. I'm not interested in a brawler; I have a Misery for that, so no Heavy Gauss Rifles, please. I want this 'Mech to be very effective at 900 meters and lethal at 600.

Must Have:
-Inner Sphere Assault Mech
-2 Gauss Rifles
-2 or more ERLL (I could get behind a large number of ERML as a replacement)
-At least 5 tons of ammo
-Faster than 50 kph
-95 tons or less
-No XL engine
-High-mounted hardpoints

Like to Have:
-Good Ballistic quirks (principally cooldown, range is good too)
-Good torso mobility
-Additional lasers
-Good armor
-Smallish side-torso hitboxes
-Asymmetrical loadout. Dual Gauss generally implies that you're using 2 arms or 2 side torsos in a symmetrical layout, but being able to stack all/most of the lasers to one side would be nice
-Good convergence. Really wide arms on 'Mechs are a nuisance.

Nice to Haves
-Good Energy/Laser quirks (principally heat/range)
-Jump Jets. Honestly, I only really use these to clear small ridges on my Victor. They are not as good as they used to be.
-Fairly cool-running. Dual Gauss should make this easy to hit.

Hero 'Mechs are okay. I have a decent amount of MC saved up and buying a little extra is not a problem. I've looked at both the Sleipnir and the MAL-2P; not sure between the two or if there is a better option.

Thanks!

Edited by Harrison Kelly, 29 January 2019 - 09:45 AM.

#2 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:01 AM

Have you played the game on Dec. 27th? If so, then I would suggest waiting for the free corsair hero to arrive in march. It comes stock with 2 gauss rifles and has 3 energy hardpoints.

Edited by admiralbenbow123, 29 January 2019 - 10:02 AM.

#3 Harrison Kelly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:08 AM

View Postadmiralbenbow123, on 29 January 2019 - 10:01 AM, said:

Have you played the game on Dec. 27th? If so, then I would suggest waiting for the free corsair hero to arrive in march. It comes stock with 2 gauss rifles and has 3 energy hardpoints.

I don't think I did. I will have to check that out, though.

#4 Laser Kiwi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:11 AM

IS assaults don't cover that wish list.

Only the cyclops has great torso mobility you desire.

I use a Zeus 5S for sniping but the mounts are low.

Of the newer mechs, only the nightstar really comes to mind for asymmetry and this mech has poor agility and awful convergence at non specific long range targets, if a guy is moving chances are only one of the things you fire will hit.

A possible option is the Banshee - S. You might be able to cram 4 er large lasers and a gauss rifle on that whilst maintaining a fairly good engine. Something like this maybe

AB2020Z1|f?|i^|i^|Xgp61|]?|]?|]?|]?q61|m?|i^rh0|i^|i^|i^sV0|i^|i^tn0|HO|HOun0|aOv>0|HOw>0:0:0

Are Banshee's good? Well i think they are ok now.

Copy that into your import button. Otherwise there isn't a lot, but the sleipnir has great quirks/hardpoint/torso twist. However a 4 lb10-x sleipnir will walk all over a dual regular gauss er heavy laser one in general play.

#5 Harrison Kelly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:24 AM

Yeah, I've heard a lot of bad things about the NightStar.

I read a post here saying that you could do 3 ERLL+2 Gauss on a Mauler, but that seems pretty slow/sluggish of a 'Mech.

If nothing better comes up, I might shave armor from my Victor's zombie arm and drop speed to at least get a LFE in there over the XL.

Something like this:

https://mwo.smurfy-n...8ad0f4dafb4eb31

Edited by Harrison Kelly, 29 January 2019 - 10:24 AM.

#6 Brethren

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:20 AM

View PostHarrison Kelly, on 29 January 2019 - 10:24 AM, said:

I read a post here saying that you could do 3 ERLL+2 Gauss on a Mauler, but that seems pretty slow/sluggish of a 'Mech.

The Mauler was the first that came to my mind here, too. The MAL-2P has -10% ballistic cooldown, high torso mounts and 3 energy hardpoints in each arm, making left- or right-stacking possible. LFE 325 will bring it up to 58.5kph.

MAL-2P; 2 Gauss, 2 ER LL
MAL-2P; 2 Gauss, 6 ER ML

#7 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 01 February 2019 - 05:22 AM

Mauler
Nightstar

About it. Not are really good for it.

KGC can do 3 ERL/2Gauss, thats not too bad.

#8 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,703 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:40 AM

Sleipnie > Mauler. The Sleipnir has mobility parameters of a heavy mech.

#9 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:56 AM

Why the arbitrary restrictions? Max engine Fafnir meets all your restrictions save tonnage.

Edited by Spheroid, 01 February 2019 - 11:45 AM.

#10 Harrison Kelly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:22 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 01 February 2019 - 10:56 AM, said:

Why the arbitrary restrictions? Max engine Fafnir meets all your restrictions save tonnage.

Yeah, I've looked at a Fafnir. Problem is that I was trying to build a FP drop deck and a 100-ton 'Mech really restricts my options with the rest of my long-range deck.

I also have a bunch of Stalkers, so if the ERLL Stalker is still viable, I will use that. I was just thinking Dual Gauss because I'm already using a WHM-6R with dual Gauss to good effect. Sadly, the IS doesn't really seem to have a Blood Asp or Deathstrike equivalent.

#11 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:27 PM

Your asking for a very particular niche, The Sleipnir is the closes to what you re looking for, asking for Dual Gauss and speed without XL on any chassis is a tall order (DS has the benefit of Clan XL) Might want to consider Light Gauss. Less damage but good range and cool down, you can put the spare weight to good use.

#12 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:58 AM

Why must you use XL in the Victor?
Also, if you go 5 tons lighter, the dual gauss Thanatos is something you can see quite often, and it also enjoys ECM. The latter is very useful if you keep your distance from the enemy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users