Pgi, 100 Ton Clan Mechs, About Time For More?

BattleMechs Gameplay General

160 replies to this topic

#41 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:57 AM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 21 February 2019 - 01:43 AM, said:

Operation Exodus only happened around 2784/2785 and the Atlas II was first fielded 20 year prior to that, in 2765. Yes, it was only used by the SLDF, but they were part of the IS at the time, making it unequivocally an IS original 'mech.

'Historically' you are right, of course.

In MWO, the distinction between Clan-Mech and IS-Mech is based on the technology they use, not their actual deployment. If it uses Clan-Tech it is a Clan-Mech in MWO, if it uses IS-Tech it is an IS-Mech. It is that simple in MWO.
Now in-universe things are a little more complicated since the Clans had stockpiles of SLDF Mechs (IS tech) and the IS forces had access to Clan-Tech as well as Clan-Mechs during the FCCW-era, in quite substantial numbers actually. Ironically there were more Mad Cat MkIIs in use by IS powers than Uziels for example.

The Atlas II, while exclusively used by the Clans during the FCCW-era, uses IS tech and would be given to the IS in game. ...and that creates a paradox highlighting the problems of PGI's policy, so I doubt we will ever see the Atlas II.

Edited by FLG 01, 21 February 2019 - 01:59 AM.

#42 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:00 AM

I wouldn't mind another 100-tonner for clan, particularly bane. My concern is that, there's plenty of clan assaults already, i'd rather have something like Mad-Cat 3, or Urbanmech IIC.

#43 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:01 AM

Honestly think MWO has enough mechs already, so I don't really care about new ones at this point.

But if new ones are to be released the most important things should be that they don't introduce any powercreep, don't obselete existing mechs in the same weight bracket and faction. Same principles apply to both IS and Clan.

I don't think any more mechs with extreme hardpoint counts should be released in MWO, so I don't like the idea of Bane. I think the UVs 8 ballistics is a fine upper limit for assaults so let's keep it that way.

Edited by Sjorpha, 21 February 2019 - 02:04 AM.

#44 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:25 PM

Just rip off the bandaid and add the Bane. We all know it's the best option available by light years.

We just never add it because it might be an extremely good mech and campaign for something far worse? What part of the game is that?

#45 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:13 PM

100T Marauder II announced... for IS.

Right mech, wrong faction.

Edited by Humble Dexter, 21 February 2019 - 05:16 PM.

#46 VulcanXIV

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:33 PM

Slow down buster. I understand you might be correct but either way there's been two clan mechs announced thus far and i'm going to want an equal amount of IS introduced before this idea becomes a thing.

#47 dante245

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 577 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:39 PM

View PostVulcanXIV, on 21 February 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

Slow down buster. I understand you might be correct but either way there's been two clan mechs announced thus far and i'm going to want an equal amount of IS introduced before this idea becomes a thing.

and 2 years since the last 100 ton clan mech is "two fast"? we have waited long enough...and the point made by the post is..no matter what your flavor of choice...there is a massive assortment of Lore friendly..time wise friendly...100 ton clan mechs that should be in the game already..but are not. and for those on abut the annihilator and atlas...why i suggested 2c or just 2 versions is because they were equally used if not more so by the clans. can check on sarna. annihilator brought back into the IS via wolfs dragoons..and the atlas two saw service in several battles since the exodus by the clans...and was used by the clans...not IS...at the battle of tukayyid. the real point was that clan had some tanky brawlers/defensive mechs in there arsenal at 100 tons..and even more so..that they had quite allot of 100 ton clans mechs in general...with out needing to "steal" IS mechs even.

oh and i didnt even mention how the IS have gotten a far larger amount of new mech releases then clan in gen "i love IS mechs as much as clan cause of there uniqueness" but there has been an abnormally high amount of IS love. and im not talking a constant stream of clan mechs either..just like...a new 100 tonner. or even 95....every 2 years at least? lol

Edited by dante245, 21 February 2019 - 05:42 PM.

#48 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:28 PM

View Postdante245, on 21 February 2019 - 05:39 PM, said:

oh and i didnt even mention how the IS have gotten a far larger amount of new mech releases then clan in gen "i love IS mechs as much as clan cause of there uniqueness" but there has been an abnormally high amount of IS love. and im not talking a constant stream of clan mechs either..just like...a new 100 tonner. or even 95....every 2 years at least? lol

It has already been proven that mech releases since Clans had arrived in 2014 have been very fair for both sides with close to 1:1 ratio. So any notion that PGI is releasing IS mechs more frequently than Clan mechs is a myth.

Only reason why we have more IS mechs than Clan mechs is because the IS had a two year head start, from 2012.

#49 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:57 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 21 February 2019 - 01:43 AM, said:

Incorrect;

So the IS existed since as least the 2300s, if not earlier.

Operation Exodus only happened around 2784/2785 and the Atlas II was first fielded 20 year prior to that, in 2765. Yes, it was only used by the SLDF, but they were part of the IS at the time, making it unequivocally an IS original 'mech.

This is like arguing that the United States stole gunpowder technology from Europe (ignoring how it originally came from China). Really, really daft

Also, the OP wrote "for all extensive purposes." which I hope was a joke

Edited by InfinityBall, 21 February 2019 - 09:57 PM.

#50 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:12 AM

View PostInfinityBall, on 21 February 2019 - 09:57 PM, said:

This is like arguing that the United States stole gunpowder technology from Europe (ignoring how it originally came from China). Really, really daft

Except it isn't, because Europe != China whereas IS = IS.
*shrug*

#51 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:24 AM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 22 February 2019 - 01:12 AM, said:

Except it isn't, because Europe != China whereas IS = IS.
*shrug*

holy hell, you've failed 2nd grade reading. Europe=IS here. US=Clan.

#52 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:29 AM

View PostInfinityBall, on 22 February 2019 - 01:24 AM, said:

holy hell, you've failed 2nd grade reading. Europe=IS here. US=Clan.

Right, so the part about China was totally irrelevant? Gotcha!
So you're just using a bad analogy for... reasons? Gotcha!
Or are you saying the US created gunpowder? (Because if US = Clan in that analogy, that's what you're arguing here)

#53 dante245

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 577 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:40 AM

back on topic...what is everyone's favorite clan 100 ton mech they would like to see from the list? and if have any that i missed...fill free to post em.

#54 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:41 AM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 22 February 2019 - 01:29 AM, said:

Right, so the part about China was totally irrelevant? Gotcha!
So you're just using a bad analogy for... reasons? Gotcha!
Or are you saying the US created gunpowder? (Because if US = Clan in that analogy, that's what you're arguing here)

The part about China was to make you ignore the fact that, say, laser technology was originally invented in the US and later left to the rest of the civilized universe. Jebus, you are bad at this

We're just talking about technology after it leaves the IS. Which is both clan and IS

Edited by InfinityBall, 22 February 2019 - 01:41 AM.

#55 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:44 AM

View PostInfinityBall, on 22 February 2019 - 01:41 AM, said:

The part about China was to make you ignore the fact that, say, laser technology was originally invented in the US and later left to the rest of the civilized universe. Jebus, you are bad at this

We're just talking about technology after it leaves the IS. Which is both clan and IS

So yeah, bad analogy, like I said.

We're talking about the origins of something (albeit something fictional), not the spread of technology across nations.

But yeah, back on topic - still want the Tomahawk (or even Tomahawk II, but that's pretty out of timeline). Otherwise, the Jupiter. Bane would be funny, but hilariously broken. Stone Rhino would have garbage hotboxes.

#56 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:29 AM

The weight we are the shortest in are the 25 tonners. There is only 1 option for Clan and Inner Sphere. I think they should fill that out, and then look for another clan 95 tonner options. I think the Executioner is the only option right now.

#57 Svarti713

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 62 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:18 AM

View PostTermin8rSmurf, on 20 February 2019 - 01:53 PM, said:

I'm a little unsure. Cautious, if you like...

You see, there's always the risk of inducing power creep, which would be a bad thing. But, I think, given the right amount of research/experimentation/theory crafting, etc, by PGI themselves, and possibly using the thoughts and opinions voiced in this thread and on the poll you created, it might be possible to introduce a new 100T clan mech without breaking the balancing system currently in place.

However, I wonder whether the clanners would actually want another 100T assault?

Their drop decks can take one, but it leaves precious little weight for anything else, meaning they're fully frontloading their deck, putting all their hopes onto the broad shoulders of only a few mechs, whereas using 85-90 tonne mechs, they still have tonnage available for viable heavies and mediums before falling back to a little fish.

I would like another Clan 100T The ones we have completely suck and die immediately due to potato rotato from being too slow and lacking any survival quirks to save the dead weight of the mech. Plus I agree with Dante.....We are way over due, you kidding me 2 years? That's honestly almost BS lol And when it comes to power creep the way I see it who gives a F**K its a 100T mech, its supposed to have an OP amount of weapons. And since its 100T there really isn't a Power Creep due to how slow and horrible the mobility will be by nature. Want to take it out quickly....Just send a pack of lights to eat it up, simple as that. For all the insane amounts of firepower the Annihilator can take throw 2 maybe 4 lights and mediums at it and It wont last very long, the poor ******* wont be able to torso twist or aim fast enough. The whole notion and Idea of power creep is total BS! Seriously it comes down to pilot skill lvl, give a pilot the old Kodiak with 4xUA10's and if they are a potato they wont even be able to use it, they would be dead weight. Give another pilot a Stealth armor Flea who isn't a potato and they can carry a team. Seen this many times in the games I've played. I would vote to remove ghost heat from Gauss PPC, as it really doesnt matter in the hands of a good pilot. Here this is proof---------> https://youtu.be/kiwspLe-lMo?t=570

#58 Svarti713

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 62 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:30 AM

View Postdante245, on 22 February 2019 - 01:40 AM, said:

back on topic...what is everyone's favorite clan 100 ton mech they would like to see from the list? and if have any that i missed...fill free to post em.

I would love to see the 1) Scylla 2) Bane and then 3) Stone Rhino/Behemoth.

Also when it comes to Light Mechs Firemoth FTW!!!!

Posted Image

#59 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:33 PM

View PostJman5, on 22 February 2019 - 06:29 AM, said:

The weight we are the shortest in are the 25 tonners. There is only 1 option for Clan and Inner Sphere. I think they should fill that out, and then look for another clan 95 tonner options. I think the Executioner is the only option right now.

The only time relevant Clan 95 tonner option is the Turkina (Fat Turkey). Alex will have to go an extra mile to make it presentable to sell.

#60 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:36 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 22 February 2019 - 12:33 PM, said:

The only time relevant Clan 95 tonner option is the Turkina (Fat Turkey). Alex will have to go an extra mile to make it presentable to sell.

I thought PGI was more concerned with the tech needed rather than the mech's actual introduction date (like that one Kodiak variant)? The Hellstar would give them another option that uses purely current MWO equipment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users