The King Crab needs to make an appearance!

80 replies to this topic

Poll: MWO Poll (275 member(s) have cast votes)

The King Crab should be the next assault mech?

1. Agree (211 votes [76.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.73%

2. Disagree (64 votes [23.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Phoenix Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

Why should the King Crab be the next assault mech for MWO?

First and foremost, we need more ballistic hardpoints in the game. It’s that simple. When it comes to ballistic weapons, only a few mechs in the current lineup can fulfill that loadout. The King Crab hardpoint system allows us to mount dual Gauss Rifles or dual AC20’s! Like myself, many players prefer to use heavy ballistic weapons in battle and it would be nice if the developers gave us a mech that can fulfill that role. The King Crab takes the cake. Hence, crab cake.

Second, the addition of the King Crab would add an area denial weapon to the game. No one in their right mind would challenge this mech up close, especially with their dual Autocannon/20s. This mech adds unique tactics and strategies to the battlefield. To combat this mech, it requires smaller and faster mechs running around this lumbering giant slowing picking away its armor from behind.

Third, the King Crab would add a mech that is less-humanoid in shape. In full confidence, the art team could definitely make the concept art look absolutely sickening! With all of that said, I would love to see the art team tackle this mech design. But, you may ask yourself, what about the Annihilator? While the Annihilator is a great mech design, it looks like all the other mechs… humanoid.

Fourth, the King Crab is a very popular assault mech.

I understand that the King Crab is restricted to Comstar in the current timeline, so we can only hope!

Posted Image

Edited by Maverick01, 25 July 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#2 light487

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

There's also the Annihilator.....

or the Mauler for more of a mixture...

#3 Team Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

Mauler would get in before the king crab I assume. Otherwise, what you described was basically a description of an Atlas. But Im with you on the "not a humanoid mech" thought

#4 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,580 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

Not sure if it needs to be the next 'Mech, but given the Raven due to appear, and its art showed it was a Davion one, factionally niche stuff that TT would say is rare outside of ComStar in the timeperiod might not really apply to MWO

#5 Sharde

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 26 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

as a fan of non humanoid mechs i approve of this. i don't plan on playing assault mechs often and mostly long range fire support but this one has my vote.

especially due to maps like caustic valley and other desert/volcanic maps i like a varriety of ballistic mechs. i plan on using the jagermech for this but more mechs are allways better.

Edited by Sharde, 25 July 2012 - 06:39 PM.

#6 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

Yes.

We do need ballistic hardpoints, but I think we can find many, many better equiped ones. The base KC has only 5 shots perc AC, and 8 for it's LRM rack. That means in 60 seconds of fighting, you are in a 100 ton, slow moving target with only a large laser to defend yourself.

True, we will probably be able to modify it to rectify that, but if one uses an Annihilator, Mauler, Banshee-S, Cyclops, Highlander or such, you get your ballistics in a package that is much better designed from the start, and that doesn't look horrendously dumb in the process.

Call me biased, but I would take this over the KC any day
Posted Image

and if non-humanoid is a must, I am almost done with a redesign on the Goliath to post on here.....

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 25 July 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#7 Chatanith Raeven

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

hmmm I would have to agree, the king crab needs a fair shake for votes on the assault mech class. not to mention it looks soo damn cool!

#8 Graives

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 25 July 2012 - 05:58 PM, said:

Second, the addition of the King Crab would add an area denial weapon to the game. No one in their right mind would challenge this mech up close, especially with their dual Autocannon/20s. This mech adds unique tactics and strategies to the battlefield. To combat this mech, it requires smaller and faster mechs running around this lumbering giant slowing picking away its armor from behind.

Or you could pummel it with LRM's from behind something and be perfectly fine.

#9 Todd Lee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

While I did vote yes, I would rather see a Mauler or an Annihilator as someone has already previously stated.

#10 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 July 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

Yes.

We do need ballistic hardpoints, but I think we can find many, many better equiped ones. The base KC has only 5 shots perc AC, and 8 for it's LRM rack. That means in 60 seconds of fighting, you are in a 100 ton, slow moving target with only a large laser to defend yourself.

True, we will probably be able to modify it to rectify that, but if one uses an Annihilator, Mauler, Banshee-S, Cyclops, Highlander or such, you get your ballistics in a package that is much better designed from the start, and that doesn't look horrendously dumb in the process.

Call me biased, but I would take this over the KC any day
Posted Image

and if non-humanoid is a must, I am almost done with a redesign on the Goliath to post on here.....

GIVE IT TO ME *grabby hands*

#11 light487

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

Yup.. I also prefer non-Humanoid mechs.. but the Mauler just ticks all the other boxes for me.. the KC ticks some of the boxes and of course the non-Humanoid one.. but at the same time it looks ugly (to me) as well.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

Here ya go, one non humanoid assault mech coming right up.....
Posted Image

And we don't end up with a mech that I can take out with a good medium like the Trebuchet.

#13 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

The King Crab is more of a loveable underdog than "very popular" making it even more deserving to get in.Also: Better pictures and this quote from the MWO facebook page "[color=#333333]I cannot guarantee it will be in game, but I am fighting tooth and nail to include it at some point."[/color]
Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by gregsolidus, 25 July 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#14 Rainrix

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

Whilst i'm not a fan of Assault Mechs, I'd love to see the King Crab added!!! (And the Crab!)

#15 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

Star League mechs should make an appearance once Comstar makes an appearance as a Facion. That would happen AFTER the Clans invade I presume.

#16 Steel Smurf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

They were going to introduce it, but this guy got it first.
Posted Image

#17 BrokenDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMiddlesex(UK)

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:34 AM

Not yet!
But it should be in there eventually!

#18 Sinitron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDjevelens Bakende Kanal

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

They need to add the Crabs eventually.

And Urbanmechs.

#19 Steel Smurf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

View PostSinitron, on 26 July 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

They need to add the Crabs eventually.

My hysterical laughter at this is proof that I should stay out of the forums when I have had very little sleep......

#20 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:06 AM

King Crab is a must for me

Alex's redesign looks very industrial and very badass, and two arm-mounted AC-20s will ruin anybody's day. Of course, we do have the Stalker for a non-humanoid Assault, but the King Crab has a unique profile and presence on the battlefield.

You can't just say 'oh well use a goliath if you want a non-humanoid assault' quads are a whole other story and have some big problems(rigging/animation concerns, and balance concerns because it does not follow the same rules for legging). The goliath re-design is hot stuff, but quads are not out because they had bad art, they're out because you can't leg the damn things.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users