BattleMechs Balance Weapons

20 replies to this topic

#1 LDTorroc

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:56 PM

Ok so this is something i would like to talk a bit about here, Mechs whos weapons are exposed, Now what i mean by this is mechs such as the timberwolf, star adder,marauder, and other mechs like this. Now what im talking about is weapon systems with are mounted on the shoulders, or over the shoulders.

A good pilot will beable to snipe these weapons off the mech but, in doing so it blows the armor of the left and right chest even tho the shots did not hit here. Should we see a change in how this works?

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:07 AM

View PostLDTorroc, on 26 February 2019 - 11:56 PM, said:

A good pilot will beable to snipe these weapons off the mech but, in doing so it blows the armor of the left and right chest even tho the shots did not hit here. Should we see a change in how this works?

How what works?

What you have described is not how it works. You shoot a left torso it does not hit the right.

#3 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:13 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 27 February 2019 - 12:07 AM, said:

How what works?

What you have described is not how it works. You shoot a left torso it does not hit the right.

I think he meant that, for e.g., the Marauder 3R that has 3 ballistic hardpoints in the RT (?) and we can see the ballistic weapons poking out, hitting these weapons doesn't outright destroy them but rather, the RT armour is damaged first.

#4 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:44 AM

Because its a vidya game.

#5 LDTorroc

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 01:18 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 27 February 2019 - 12:13 AM, said:

I think he meant that, for e.g., the Marauder 3R that has 3 ballistic hardpoints in the RT (?) and we can see the ballistic weapons poking out, hitting these weapons doesn't outright destroy them but rather, the RT armour is damaged first.

This is correct, Sorry for the grammar in the first post i posted it when i just woke up.

But yes, that is the point i am making. TT and PP. both had rules for things like this.

#6 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 27 February 2019 - 01:54 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 27 February 2019 - 12:44 AM, said:

Because its a vidya game.

"Vidya" is a feminine name where I come from Posted Image So, that sentence provides a very different meaning, although the actual meaning of that word is "Knowledge".

#7 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:34 AM

I mean, it's not really in line with the established aesthetic of Battletech. It makes sense from a military hardware design standpoint... your weapons are important. Critical to the core function of your vehicle. So, you want them to be armored too. Look at modern armored vehicles- the only weapons which are externally mounted are support weapons and expendables like missile pods. Cannons only have their barrels sticking out through the armor of the turret or hull, just like in Battletech. Almost without exception, externally-mounted weapons are handheld in this setting- and when so carried, they can usually be detached if they're damaged or the 'Mech really needs its hands for something.

Other 'Mech games have done external weapons though. Battledrome and the first two Earthsieges both used modular weapons mounted on external hardpoints across the torso, with only a few internal weapons bays. Starsiege also had external weapons, but they were all gimbal-mounted since torso twist was removed. In all of those games, the aesthetic was less that of walking tanks and more that of mobile weapon platforms... but then, that setting also leaned heavily on energy shields, so it made sense that armor wasn't as important. If you have force fields as a defensive option, why not save weight and only armor your vital components?

Posted Image

#8 LDTorroc

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:38 AM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 27 February 2019 - 02:34 AM, said:

I mean, it's not really in line with the established aesthetic of Battletech. It makes sense from a military hardware design standpoint... your weapons are important. Critical to the core function of your vehicle. So, you want them to be armored too. Look at modern armored vehicles- the only weapons which are externally mounted are support weapons and expendables like missile pods. Cannons only have their barrels sticking out through the armor of the turret or hull, just like in Battletech. Almost without exception, externally-mounted weapons are handheld in this setting- and when so carried, they can usually be detached if they're damaged or the 'Mech really needs its hands for something.

Other 'Mech games have done external weapons though. Battledrome and the first two Earthsieges both used modular weapons mounted on external hardpoints across the torso, with only a few internal weapons bays. Starsiege also had external weapons, but they were all gimbal-mounted since torso twist was removed. In all of those games, the aesthetic was less that of walking tanks and more that of mobile weapon platforms... but then, that setting also leaned heavily on energy shields, so it made sense that armor wasn't as important. If you have force fields as a defensive option, why not save weight and only armor your vital components?

Posted Image

Thank you for pointing this out. Yes if you had your weapons hanging out like they do you would want them armored much like the blood asp, Their large cannons and lasers do look armored, my point here is why do we not have a diffrent target box or armor value for these areas rather then them being connected directly to the armor of the chest, Take a timber wolf with lrm'30s the 'bunny' ears as somepeople call them are huge hit me here signs.

So the question is, Why do we not have armor hard points for this separate locations. Im coming from playing older P&P MW and BT games were rules like this did exist.

Edited by LDTorroc, 27 February 2019 - 02:41 AM.

#9 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,934 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:06 AM

View PostLDTorroc, on 27 February 2019 - 02:38 AM, said:

So the question is, Why do we not have armor hard points for this separate locations. Im coming from playing older P&P MW and BT games were rules like this did exist.

Because that would take a lot more programing which firstly, will not ever happen in this game at this point, and secondly, if it did happen would cause so much qqing around here when players that can aim started farming parts off of the lower skill players, that PGI would have to revert it or add so much armor on these new locations as to make the whole exercise pointless.

#10 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:09 AM

View PostLDTorroc, on 27 February 2019 - 01:18 AM, said:

TT and PP. both had rules for things like this.

What if I told you this is not TT / PP.

This is an online FPS. That is how it works.

Destroying the weapon and the armour 2nd would be rather pointless to the way the game plays.

#11 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:45 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 27 February 2019 - 12:07 AM, said:

You shoot a left torso it does not hit the right.

lol yeah ok.. never seen wonky hit box's or anything

this is not how it works.. this is not how any of this works lol

#12 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:48 AM

View PostLDTorroc, on 27 February 2019 - 02:38 AM, said:

Im coming from playing older P&P MW and BT games were rules like this did exist.

pgi has made it quite apparent that they dont care about the old rules... back when battletech made sense... they wanted something between battletech, and mechwarrior and they just took bits and pieces of what they wanted and smashed it apart...

back in the day in the beginning when we only had a few maps.. a lot of this was true.. BUT they changed the math early on and have been making corrections every since

#13 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:01 AM

This topic makes me miss chromehounds
you shoot a weapon - it takes damage directly and has its own HP

I miss running around grenade boating and stripping a mech's weapons in a few volleys - but definitely don't think it would work in MWO. Was kinda busted in chromehounds too

Edited by Gristle Missile, 27 February 2019 - 09:01 AM.

#14 Variant1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:54 AM

View PostGristle Missile, on 27 February 2019 - 09:01 AM, said:

This topic makes me miss chromehounds
you shoot a weapon - it takes damage directly and has its own HP

I miss running around grenade boating and stripping a mech's weapons in a few volleys - but definitely don't think it would work in MWO. Was kinda busted in chromehounds too

Oh man chrome hounds was some good times, would have been the best game if they didnt lock out multiplayer parts from single player and added more content (offline skrim with bots or offline neuromus vs bots)

as for grenade boating if you had a fast chasis you could kite them, but if your slower you would aim for the legs to slow them down from my experience.

#15 Chaotic_Harmony

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:56 AM

View PostVariant1, on 27 February 2019 - 10:54 AM, said:

Oh man chrome hounds was some good times, would have been the best game if they didnt lock out multiplayer parts from single player and added more content (offline skrim with bots or offline neuromus vs bots)

as for grenade boating if you had a fast chasis you could kite them, but if your slower you would aim for the legs to slow them down from my experience.

Quad Grenade Launchers, Quad Missile Spam Launchers. Wreck components for days.

#16 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:40 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 27 February 2019 - 12:44 AM, said:

Because its a vidya game using lazy physics/design/programming in the age of multi-GHZ multi-core processors.

FTFY.

Edited by Mystere, 27 February 2019 - 11:46 AM.

#17 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:42 AM

Do you really want your weapons taken away quicker and easier than they are now?

#18 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:59 PM

I get what you're saying. Like targeting the barrel of a tank you can't penetrate in War Thunder. But yeah I think it would require more work for them. Turning them into their own hitbox. It would be an extra layer of quasi realism. At the very least a chance to crit weapons, with reduced stats when damaged. It would be cool in my opinion. It would add more value to mechs like the Hunchback that fully encase their weapons versus Shadow Hawk whose guns are way more exposed. So I would be in favor of it at least having a chance to crit the weapon.

But I don't see them putting in the work now that they have so many mechs and variants to change. It would cost them too much in terms of labor.

Edited by MechaBattler, 27 February 2019 - 01:03 PM.

#19 Phoenix Lead

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 01:38 PM

Mechwarrior 4 in fact, had "additional spots" on mechs that were not the same as the torsos, arms, legs, ect... usually up to 2... a good example of this was on the Atlas, there was a leg mounted missile pod, essentially for the SRM 6 the stock loadout uses. IN MW4, you could blow that component out without destroying the mech. Another example is the Vulture/Mad Dog of MW4 design... it had a chin "turret" for laser mounts... you could destroy that without damaging the rest of the mech as well.

However for the most part, that kind of thing, just isn't a part of battletech in general.

#20 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:34 PM

id love timbies with high shoulder mounted omnipods.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users