Jump to content

Solaris 7 Has Severe Population Issues.


39 replies to this topic

#1 Alcom Isst

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 924 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 28 February 2019 - 06:17 AM



#2 Makenzie71

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 908 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:56 AM

Really? I hadn’t noticed.

#3 Makenzie71

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 908 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:04 AM

Solaris has no learning curve, is ultra-aggressive, and has nothing to entice new players to stay. I see 1500’s every day and they get washed a couple matches and never come back. Most of the game’s playerbase couldn’t afford to be competitive in solaris...I can only afford it because ikve been playing the game since damn near the beginnjng with nothing else to spend the cbills on and i’ve spent a fortune on solaris. Each season the division mechs change and you have to buy something new to be competitive and then skill it out. For what? Maybe you get a new sticker at the end of the season?

There’s nothing in it for 99% of MWO fans.

#4 justcallme A S H

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,726 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:08 PM

Sadly last two nights in a row I've spent two separate times searching for 25-30mins a piece.

Usually I can get a game if I wait for 5-10mins but not currently.

I'm gonna put it down to post event burnout and see if it comes back in a few weeks.
Doesn't help that the leaderboard system is broke and most people simply play their 25 and that's it. And honestly speaking that's kinda where I'm at as well. Get a top spot and move to another division as a single loss then can mean you've gotta play another 10+ matches to get that spot back with how the ELO system works.

#5 Ghost Paladin117

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 04:56 PM

Idk it usually only takes about two of the time cycles for someone to hop in with me if it's not already kicking.

#6 Dionnsai

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 341 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 04:56 PM

I still get matches, but I hop divisions. They should really make all the division queues visible at all times regardless of which division you are in.

At least then people could go where the fights are.

#7 Makenzie71

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 908 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 28 February 2019 - 04:59 PM

I've made that suggestion a number of times. Right now everyone grabs a queue and waits. If we knew someone was waiting in a different queue we might jump.

I walked away from a div 7 queue for about 20 minutes and didn't get a match lol

#8 Marquis De Lafayette

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:07 AM

As with every mode there are always going to be at least some “die-hard” players. But the reality is there are just fewer of those for Solaris, which is what has made it a failure (sorry to say). Lots of time and money went into developing this (re-branding the game even)....and it’s not a bad mode on the whole (although as Ash rightly states...the elo system is messed up and can/does contribute to a “25 and done” mindset), but it was never going to approach the mass appeal of QP and didn’t have the social element of FW to keep enough people engaged. When there is an event or a seasons rewards on the line...sure queues will work better. outside of that...not so much.

Edited by Marquis De Lafayette, 01 March 2019 - 08:08 AM.


#9 ImperialKnight

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 02:38 AM

S7 is end game content. Without the mech, the skills, and the attitude, S7 is unplayable for most people. Just look at the number of Assault mechs with LRM80 builds sitting there in QP. How many of the player base would play this ultra aggressive game mode? The builds needed are also completely different in S7 than QP.

I love S7, but unfortunately the population is going to be what it is. Which is a waste. S7 is by far, a much better mode than FP and QP

#10 Pain G0D

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:32 AM

People just need more awareness about end of season payouts , it pretty generous.

#11 Makenzie71

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 908 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:56 AM

I don't know how generous it is for most people...I spent a huge amount of cbills to start in season 2 and didn't come close to breaking even. Barely broke even in season 3. I'll probably come out ahead this season but only because I'm not doing as much.

Getting anchored in Solaris is a pretty large investment. Like I said above, the only reason I can do it is because I've built up quite a savings. Most new players are going to have to break out their real life wallets to be competitive in Solaris...and that's asking a lot from people.

#12 Prototelis

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 01:42 PM

View PostMakenzie71, on 02 March 2019 - 07:56 AM, said:

I don't know how generous it is for most people...I spent a huge amount of cbills to start in season 2 and didn't come close to breaking even. Barely broke even in season 3. I'll probably come out ahead this season but only because I'm not doing as much.

Getting anchored in Solaris is a pretty large investment. Like I said above, the only reason I can do it is because I've built up quite a savings. Most new players are going to have to break out their real life wallets to be competitive in Solaris...and that's asking a lot from people.



I don't think thats true.

Lower div mechs are inexpensive both to buy and build.

If one pays attention to the top 10-25 players in a div they can formulate what mechs are best without doing the science themselves.

#13 PeppaPig

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 267 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:05 AM

View PostImperialKnight, on 02 March 2019 - 02:38 AM, said:

S7 is end game content. Without the mech, the skills, and the attitude, S7 is unplayable for most people. Just look at the number of Assault mechs with LRM80 builds sitting there in QP. How many of the player base would play this ultra aggressive game mode? The builds needed are also completely different in S7 than QP.

I love S7, but unfortunately the population is going to be what it is. Which is a waste. S7 is by far, a much better mode than FP and QP


Actually, I think you couldn't be further from the truth regarding "End Game" status, just read through the posts in this topic; losing to an ARC loaded with rocket launchers is not skill, merely using the broken mechanics of the game - literally anyone with that build can win, skill has nothing to do with it.

S7 became, as most people indicated in their posts, a place for the egotistical fanboy element who are either unable to play in a team, unwilling to play in a team or just downright ignorant of the whole intention of MWO being a social based game to play with friends, units and other players of same mindset. S7 was and still is an unforgivable waste of time and resources that would have best been spent on FW development and better integration of QP/New Players into the MWO Universe.

The player bucket is shrinking monthly (other than the blips during holiday periods). Expecting heavy involvement in S7 was and will continue to be a pipe dream.

#14 PhoenixFire55

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,278 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 04 March 2019 - 04:47 AM

Lets be honest, shall we? ... When people asked for Solaris years back they asked for it 'in order to be rid of PUGs who drag them down' and 'have a game mode that clearly shows their personal skill'. But the hard reality is that only like 2% of playerbase actually have said skill. When hard reality hits you in the face by being totally outclassed, outplayed and outmechlabbed several times in a row ... well, you simply give up and start crying how the game mode is broken, how you need to 'invest too much into it', or how there is nobody to play with (i.e. nobody you can roflmao-pewpew-stomp).

Solaris does exactly what its supposed to do. It pins you one on one against an opponent in perfectly equal starting conditions. Everything else is up to you.

#15 Toha Heavy Industries

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:45 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 04 March 2019 - 04:47 AM, said:

Lets be honest, shall we? ... When people asked for Solaris years back they asked for it 'in order to be rid of PUGs who drag them down' and 'have a game mode that clearly shows their personal skill'. But the hard reality is that only like 2% of playerbase actually have said skill. When hard reality hits you in the face by being totally outclassed, outplayed and outmechlabbed several times in a row ... well, you simply give up and start crying how the game mode is broken, how you need to 'invest too much into it', or how there is nobody to play with (i.e. nobody you can roflmao-pewpew-stomp).

Solaris does exactly what its supposed to do. It pins you one on one against an opponent in perfectly equal starting conditions. Everything else is up to you.


Wouldn't be an issue if we would have an actual playerbase, enough people to match them up according to their psr/elo.

#16 PhoenixFire55

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,278 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:39 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 04 March 2019 - 07:45 AM, said:

Wouldn't be an issue if we would have an actual playerbase, enough people to match them up according to their psr/elo.


Of course, but it is what it is.

#17 PeppaPig

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 267 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:41 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 04 March 2019 - 04:47 AM, said:



Solaris does exactly what its supposed to do. It pins you one on one against an opponent in perfectly equal starting conditions. Everything else is up to you.


OK. Not quite sure which game you've been playing, if by equal you mean assigning a light against a heavy or assault - not quite "perfectly equal" positions to start from. Yes, the right arena and pilot of a light can take down an opponent 2 or 3 weight classes higher, but not that often.

S7 is anything BUT equal which is why people barely dip their toes into the format and having them blown off 4, 5 or 6 times in a row, will mean they move back to QP. This has nothing to do with a broken mode, just human nature in wanting to get some enjoyment out of the experience and not being the object of humiliation, anger, frustration due to meta - twitch based gaming.

Player base is wrecked across all formats, S7 has done more harm than good in trying to encourage people to try MWO and get them to stay.

#18 Lily from animove

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,886 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:01 AM

What people expected:
A gamemode with chassis sorted by performance brackets so everyone can bring the chassis they liked for some skill based Minifights.

What people got: badly sorted brackets where it all comes by min-maxing the most cheese loadout fir instagibbing.


And thats the entire opposite of what people wanted. it plays more boring than anything else and requires even more metacheesing than the other game modes.

@Phoenix, sadly Solaris is mostly decided by the Mech you bring and then by the skill, which then turns out to be even more boring because the same boring cheese mode chassis to be played every damn round.

Even before they released Solaris i wrote somewhere that this will happen and it did happen. it was vey obviously for everyone who plays pvp games regular that this was the inevitable future of S7.

in the end, S7 was not PGI's fault, playerbase screamed for it, and they delivered. it was in no way due to mechbalance ever going to work in any other direction than it became. Scouting is the only smaller mode I actually find truly to be fun. sure it's also a bit about min maxing the chassis you get there, but there is also some tactics involved and stuff. Choices and skill there can matter.

Edited by Lily from animove, 04 March 2019 - 09:08 AM.


#19 PhoenixFire55

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,278 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:39 AM

View PostPeppaPig, on 04 March 2019 - 08:41 AM, said:

OK. Not quite sure which game you've been playing, if by equal you mean assigning a light against a heavy or assault - not quite "perfectly equal" positions to start from. Yes, the right arena and pilot of a light can take down an opponent 2 or 3 weight classes higher, but not that often.


You are free to choose any mech, including the once chosen by your opponent, be it a light or a heavy. If you choose to gimp yourself by dropping in a supposedly inferior chassis, then its your problem and your problem only.

#20 Lily from animove

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,886 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:43 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 04 March 2019 - 09:39 AM, said:



You are free to choose any mech, including the once chosen by your opponent, be it a light or a heavy. If you choose to gimp yourself by dropping in a supposedly inferior chassis, then its your problem and your problem only.


No it's obviously the game modes problem, because hardly anyone wants to play cheesechassis warrior online.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users