88 replies to this topic

#61 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:43 AM

View PostCurccu, on 05 March 2019 - 04:35 AM, said:

That is brutally black and white view, there might be this grey area also where people play smartly some decent mechs that are bit more challenging to do well not just that super boring vomit HBR while using friendlies as meat shield or using some utility mixed build and playing it like a moron.

I actually agree to that but since the critic of my post did not add a lot of material to work with i.e. respond to I reacted accordingly.

View PostHorseman, on 05 March 2019 - 03:51 AM, said:

Any and all weapons count. What has to be considered:
  • if your WLR is below 1, your presence is statistically detrimental to your team's odds of success.
  • If your WLR is above 1, your presence is statistically advantageous to your team's odds of success.
  • If your KDR is below 1, your team has to pick up your slack.
  • If your KDR is above 1, you're picking up someone else's slack.
  • If you're managing 250+ average score with WLR < 1, you're doing plenty of damage, but it's not really good damage as in you're not applying your DPS in a way that's advantageous to your team.
  • If you're managing KDR > 1 with WLR < 1 , you're either prioritizing targets wrong or using a degenerate KDR-farming "strategy" - either way, you're getting kills but those are not really good kills as in you're not applying your DPS in a way that's advantageous to your team.
The reason LRMs and ATMs get a lot of flak is that they motivate their users to embrace a degenerate playstyle:
  • Static gameplay: the lurmer has no motivation to change position and thus falls to tunnel vision, failing to move with his team (and thus dying to enemy lights when caught out unprotected)
  • Risk-avoidance: the lurmer doesn't need to see the enemy, his teammates will do that for him... as each of them gets in the line of fire, and the lurmer is out of sight, purely dependent on their teammates ability to provide target locks.
  • Using team as a meat shield: as the lurmer is motivated to stay in the back (or in a static position entirely), his teammates are left to tank more damage than they would have to if the lurmer took position in the front line
  • Lack of effective fire on target: since the lurmer doesn't see the targets, he commonly fails to realize his salvos were just landscaping for past minute or two.
  • Lack of effective damage on target: since lurmers often rely on parasitic locks, they don't stay on targets long enough to convert their DPS into kills. A sandblasted enemy Marauder with zero armor can still have all of its' weapons and happily kill a third of your team before it's taken out.
  • False sense of competence: the damage accounts for most of the match score formula, locking some players in the mindset that nothing but damage matters (we all know that's false - what really matters is crushing your enemy, seeing them driven before you and hearing the lamentations of their mothers) and giving them the impression they don't need to improve in any way.
Bottom line, the problem isn't necessarily in the weapon systems, it's in the fact that it tends to push its' users to employ it in the dumbest, least effective way possible.

That's actually a very good summary about the perception of contribution to the team and why LRMs are hated. The best point though is the last one "False sense of competence".
That's exactly how I feel about LRM players, especially those that get ripped apart in 3 seconds as soon as they have any sort of enemy contact.

To be fair though one has to add that LRMs are a good weapon system for new players since it allows you to take away some burden and especially ease the grind since you can do more "free" damage which will lead to higher CBill payouts.
I acually also played LRMs when I started because I had no idea what was going on and aquiring locks seemed easy enough.
LRMs are allowed me to do damage without confronting the enemy which I learnt quickly means death in 3 seconds if you dont know what you are doing.

That said however at some point I realized that direct fire weapons are far superior to LRMs and never used them again after I learnt th basics of the game.

One more thing is that while LRMs are "allowed" for new players to get into the game they are not for for somebody playing since beta. If somebody still plays LRMs after 5 years they just show the ineptitude and/or inability of people improving their gameplay while at the same time using their long "experience" to tell others what to do.

If somebody has super low frame rates and still wants to play or some sort of disability or injury that prevents him from playing anything other than LRMs effectively then my last point does not apply of course.
We got somebody on this forum that falls in the "injury" category who opened my eyes and made me feel kinda embarassed when hating LRM players Posted Image

Edited by Antares102, 05 March 2019 - 09:07 AM.

#62 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:26 AM

The average skill level in solo-QP appears to have dropped significantly since around the time of the Solaris7/Blood Asp patches.

At that time I was about 1/3rd of the way up the T3 bar and slowly creeping towards T2. Now I'm under 50% of the T4 bar. I do "OK" when playing with a team that actually employs teamwork, but as a solo player I'm pretty crap. When what little teamwork that existed in solo-QP before went south, so did my MS/KDR/WL/PSR.

It doesn't help that most of the time (except for an hour or two each day at peak population times) the MM puts all the Tiers in one bucket.

Edited by BlueStrat, 05 March 2019 - 09:28 AM.

#63 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:42 AM

View PostBlueStrat, on 05 March 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

The average skill level in solo-QP appears to have dropped significantly since around the time of the Solaris7/Blood Asp patches.

At that time I was about 1/3rd of the way up the T3 bar and slowly creeping towards T2. Now I'm under 50% of the T4 bar. I do &quot;OK&quot; when playing with a team that actually employs teamwork, but as a solo player I'm pretty crap. When what little teamwork that existed in solo-QP before went south, so did my MS/KDR/WL/PSR.

It doesn't help that most of the time (except for an hour or two each day at peak population times) the MM puts all the Tiers in one bucket.

Solo que is an excellent way to hone your game sense on the battlefield, at least once you've become better at the game.

Find people who play in groups and know how to play, and learn from them. That's why I am where I am now.

#64 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:53 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 05 March 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

Solo que is an excellent way to hone your game sense on the battlefield, at least once you've become better at the game.

Find people who play in groups and know how to play, and learn from them. That's why I am where I am now.

I'm not new to Mechwarrior. Started on MW2 and went through all the subsequent games. Been playing MWO since 2015.

I'm over 60 with a senior's reaction times and a potato PC that might hit 25 FPS on a good day with nothing moving near my 'mech (it's why I don't play lights or faster mediums)..turns into a slide-show.

Edited by BlueStrat, 05 March 2019 - 09:54 AM.

#65 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:10 AM

View PostBlueStrat, on 05 March 2019 - 09:53 AM, said:

I'm not new to Mechwarrior. Started on MW2 and went through all the subsequent games. Been playing MWO since 2015.

I'm over 60 with a senior's reaction times and a potato PC that might hit 25 FPS on a good day with nothing moving near my 'mech (it's why I don't play lights or faster mediums)..turns into a slide-show.

Gametime on Older mechwarrior games =/= same experience for this one.

Suggest you get a huge upgrade too. Frames per second will up your reaction time, gameplay and overall enjoyment of the game tenfold.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wCKkBb

For 700USD you can get a rig that runs it easily and other games too.

Edited by Scout Derek, 05 March 2019 - 10:14 AM.

#66 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:20 AM

my guess it is what you are playing.. I have a bunch of mechs that i average around 1.50, then i have many more that i just am not good in, not so great mechs, or i just screw around in and never really got good with them. there are a ton that i screw around with that are around the .75 range. so typically all those lower ones drag my monthly scores down. But sometimes it is just fun to load up a Raven 2X and see how you do for the night. Sometimes that can be more fun than loading up my top mech.

Your best bet if you really want to track your progress, just play a few of your top mechs for a couple months and see where you end up. Or just track your best mechs, and play them for a bit.

And if all you do is PUG that can also really effect it, sure the top players will typically do well, but they often play the metas, or best/faster brawlers ect.. That can make a huge difference than just loading up a stalker or playing a random medium with an AC20. There is a reason why people chase meta You are not seeing top players running around in a Cicada 3M, heck you rarely see them in middle of the road chassis. Others could care less and might spend the entire night dropping in a spider just because.

View PostBlueStrat, on 05 March 2019 - 09:53 AM, said:

Higher FPS will help a ton. when i first started i was playing on a system that averages between 15-20. Now i'm around 55-60. It really does make a difference.

#67 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:32 AM

Blame it on the light/medium meta's and K?D protectionists who hide behind everyone else then run out and grab kills. MG's and the new wave of smaller lasers combined with the sheer number a small mech can carry now, can quickly knock your score down even though you will be dealing the same kind of pain on your foes. Kill stealing is the thing :)

#68 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 691 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:36 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 05 March 2019 - 11:20 AM, said:

You are not seeing top players running around in a Cicada 3M, heck you rarely see them in middle of the road chassis. Others could care less and might spend the entire night dropping in a spider just because.

a lot of the top level players i see in solo queue pretty much just run whatever. some of them stream as well and will often take mech/build suggestions from viewers.

#69 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:31 PM

View Postcougurt, on 05 March 2019 - 12:36 PM, said:

a lot of the top level players i see in solo queue pretty much just run whatever. some of them stream as well and will often take mech/build suggestions from viewers.

Alot of the better players (myself included) just mess around because we don't have nothing better to play or do.

It does get boring to watch repetitive or play repetitive gameplay some have already mastered or understand very well.

#70 Redshirt4Life

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:48 PM

Yeah top players wouldn't use something so bad as a Cicada 3m. I was only able to get 2.92 k/d in 57 games with mine. Highly recommend against it. Top players know better then to use such an obviously bad mech.

Just use LRMs.

Edited by Redshirt4Life, 05 March 2019 - 01:49 PM.

#71 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:09 PM

View PostRedshirt4Life, on 05 March 2019 - 01:48 PM, said:

Yeah top players wouldn't use something so bad as a Cicada 3m. I was only able to get 2.92 k/d in 57 games with mine. Highly recommend against it. Top players know better then to use such an obviously bad mech.

Just use LRMs.

I'm sorry sir but you do not meet the requirements for usage of LRMs. You must have played since the end of beta and have less than 1.0 KDR or WLR :P

#72 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:25 PM

View PostRedshirt4Life, on 05 March 2019 - 01:48 PM, said:

Just use LRMs.

On a Cicada of course.

#73 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:58 PM

View PostBurning2nd, on 05 March 2019 - 01:02 AM, said:

lol here we go again with how awesome PGI's math is.... OH wait lets throw another none official stats keeper in the mix that doesnt even capture the full picture,

Literally stats in this game mean nothing, The math that they use to calculate it is broken.. thats what most of the big problem was years ago when they made the change

there are so many problems with the way they capture the stats, about the only thing that actually is accrete is time played

LOOk... really simple there are people running around with "DEATHSTAR" tags who got them for a 12 man disconnect....

just saying

!!!! HOW dare you call these "champs" out.... there isnt anyone here who does lots of damage and always ends up in the rear of the team with no damage and no kills

I did 1009 points of damage in a game on the weekend and didn't manage a single kill. Very upsetting. Almost enough to make me abandon my lurmers.

#74 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:59 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 05 March 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

Gametime on Older mechwarrior games =/= same experience for this one.

Suggest you get a huge upgrade too. Frames per second will up your reaction time, gameplay and overall enjoyment of the game tenfold.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wCKkBb

For 700USD you can get a rig that runs it easily and other games too.

I guess you missed the part where I said I've played MWO since 2015. I know that game-play strategies/tactics are different from older MW titles, but many things that aren't part of actual game-play are, like weapons mechanics (gauss charge, missile lock, mechlab, etc etc).

As far as upgrading my PC, $700 may as well be $7,000. I'm on Social Security and get ~$900/month that has to pay for everything I can't afford a TV or a car, or even a smartphone. "Tight budget" is the understatement of the century. Posted Image

Edited by BlueStrat, 05 March 2019 - 09:13 PM.

#75 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:17 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 05 March 2019 - 04:51 AM, said:

Heh ... kinda funny you know, since my "shifting the goalposts" brings us back closer to the OP topic, not the other way around.

You want to talk about "harder"? Sure, lets talk about "harder". I do not consider it "harder" or "more work", in fact I consider it to be easier to be able to do 500/300 in a Flea compared to a Marauder. There you go, since we already have one example of it not being "harder" as you seem to think, then your point is invalid to begin with.

Apparently you wanted to dictate the conversation. Well ... tough luck bro.

Well...acc. Jarl's you are an overall 99.31%ile Player . You are 1 in 142 people playing the Game. The vast majority of MW:O Players experience the Game very different from what you experience, and may have very different perception of what is being hard/not hard in Game .

For a lowly scrub like me, all it needed to up my %ile rating 27 points within 1 Season was to start running said Marauder . Suddenly, 500+dmg/300+ Matchscore Games come frequently, and very easy when they happen . Easy meaning, just be lucky with a somewhat competent Team, a bit of positioning, simply facetank stuff . With that, 3-5 kills Games also happen frequently due to the brutal DPS. In a Flea ? VERY different story, vastly different of what I have to do to get that kind of score ( if I manage at all ) .

In regards to OP, this means he would probably do better if he just started to pilot different 'Mechs/Loadouts . Which is what I was going to get at with the Marauder/Flea comparison .

Edited by Besh, 06 March 2019 - 05:25 AM.

#76 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:02 AM

View PostBesh, on 06 March 2019 - 05:17 AM, said:

In regards to OP, this means he would probably do better if he just started to pilot different 'Mechs/Loadouts . Which is what I was going to get at with the Marauder/Flea comparison .

Fair enough. It is a sound advice to change mech/loadout/playing style if you feel like you aren't performing well in any case.

#77 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:47 AM

View PostAnte Mortem, on 01 March 2019 - 07:16 PM, said:

My Kill/Death ration went from 1.18 to 1.0 in one year. Are my opponents getting better or amI regressing?

I took at look at all your stats and one of the big things that stood out for me was the decline in your survival stat. Of course it's going to go down as your WLR goes down too, but its decline appeared sharper. What I would suggest is to try to be just a little more cautious in when you bound out into the open. While it's great you want to be the tip of the spear your enthusiasm does not appear to be translating into more wins. So a bit more caution seems to be the wisest course.

Also if you're playing a big mech, doing your best to watch the minimap and stick with your team will keep the lights off you.

If all that is too general, then one concrete thing you can do to boost survival is play an ECM mech. Not only will it help you against missile attacks, but it will make you less noticeable too. Also drop the IS XL builds for something more sturdy if you're using those.

#78 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:24 PM

Why do so many of these threads turn into "look at my tier/kdr/Jarl's ranking" phallus measuring contests?

#79 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:40 PM

View PostBowelhacker, on 06 March 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

Why do so many of these threads turn into "look at my tier/kdr/Jarl's ranking" phallus measuring contests?

Who's showing off their Jarl's List rank?

#80 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 691 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:15 PM

View PostBowelhacker, on 06 March 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

i haven't seen anyone doing this, at least not in the last couple of pages. it seems like you're just very sensitive about the discussion of stats in general.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users