14 replies to this topic

#1 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:30 AM

The HSL + 1 for the Bounty Hunter allows me to fire 3 ERPPC simultaneously but what's the point of that? The heat build up is too high, can't stuff too many DHS 'cause you run out of slots, the mech just isn't viable to make use of this quirk.

Better to keep an UAC20 and 4 MPLs with a LFE 300 and a bunch of DHS or AC20, 5 ML and an ERPPC or something. Or am I missing something here?

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:33 AM

That HSL quirk also means you can fire 2 ER PPCs and a Gauss simultaneously without heat penalty.

#3 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:11 AM

This might help you understand ghost heat / linked ghost heat and whats the point of HSL quirks better
https://mwo.smurfy-n...eapon_heatscale

#4 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:55 AM

Oh, so the HSL applies to weapons of different types even though the description says specifically ERPPC HSL +1.

I know that, for e.g., lasers of the "Large" kind (Pulse or just LL) have heat penalties. But the ERPPC +1 applies to PPC and Gauss weapon, then.... I see.

Edited by FRAGTAST1C, 06 March 2019 - 04:55 AM.

#5 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:11 AM

not quite. PPCs and Gauss weapons share a Heatscale group. A mech with an ER PPC HSL+1 quirk must have at least one ER PPC fired to profit from it's benefits. Lets say you have a mech with 1 ER PPC and 3 Gauss plus ER PPC HSL+1. Firing the ER PPC and two Gauss does not generate Ghost heat, firing the 3 Gausses does trigger ghost heat.

#6 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:15 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 06 March 2019 - 04:55 AM, said:

Oh, so the HSL applies to weapons of different types even though the description says specifically ERPPC HSL +1.

I know that, for e.g., lasers of the "Large" kind (Pulse or just LL) have heat penalties. But the ERPPC +1 applies to PPC and Gauss weapon, then.... I see.

Well more like you can have:
2x ERPPC + 1x other weapon from linked group
or 1x ERPPC + 2x any other weapon in linked group
or just 3x ERPPC

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 06 March 2019 - 05:11 AM, said:

not quite. PPCs and Gauss weapons share a Heatscale group. A mech with an ER PPC HSL+1 quirk must have at least one ER PPC fired to profit from it's benefits. Lets say you have a mech with 1 ER PPC and 3 Gauss plus ER PPC HSL+1. Firing the ER PPC and two Gauss does not generate Ghost heat, firing the 3 Gausses does trigger ghost heat.

you cannot charge 3 gausses at once? limited to two.

#7 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:22 AM

View PostCurccu, on 06 March 2019 - 05:15 AM, said:

you cannot charge 3 gausses at once? limited to two.

Yes, sure, it was a bad example. I just wanted to make my point clear. Your take was better, i suppose!

#8 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:27 AM

The 3x ERPPC is not practical for a BH sadly.

#9 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:30 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 06 March 2019 - 05:27 AM, said:

The 3x ERPPC is not practical for a BH sadly.

No it's not but it's still better in that than any other mech in the game without that HSL +1 quirk
normally you get 17 points of heat penalty for shooting 3 of those at once

#10 S t P a u l y

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:39 AM

Don't talk to me or my son ever again.

#11 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:32 AM

Your son is a bit low on SRM ammo.

#12 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:44 AM

I will also go as far as saying that a lot of builds that don't look good at first glance are very good when proper fire discipline is maintained. People tend to want to push one button and Alpha everything for big damage, but I have successfully ran and continue to run many builds that rely on a more DPS sustained approached where I have to cycle between weapons groups with small pauses between shots to allow of for dissipation and make the build heat manageable. So for a triple PPC build you might want to break them up between 2 two groups and use a 1-2 punch combo which will allow you to keep those lightning bolts coming with very short delays. It is not 30 points of pin point damage but getting a rata-tat-tat of 10,10,10,10 every second or so, those hits can add up quickly.

So my advice is before you dismiss a triple PPC build on the BH, load it up and drop into a training room on a hot map like Tormaline Desert or Terra Therma and try out different firing patterns and routines. If your like me, while often it just doesn't work no matter what you do but it won't be all that uncommon to find a pattern or routine that feels comfortable and really brings out the best of that mech. For example, I have an Executioner Build, that takes this principle to the max that never fails to deliver me 500-600+ damage consistently every single match, despite the fact that I would instantly explode if I tried to fire all my weapons at once.

#13 S t P a u l y

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:01 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 06 March 2019 - 06:32 AM, said:

Your son is a bit low on SRM ammo.

No, it isn't. If you're in spamming range, you have ****** up. I've yet to run out.

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 06 March 2019 - 09:44 AM, said:

So for a triple PPC build you might want to break them up between 2 two groups and use a 1-2 punch combo which will allow you to keep those lightning bolts coming with very short delays. It is not 30 points of pin point damage but getting a rata-tat-tat of 10,10,10,10 every second or so, those hits can add up quickly.

So my advice is before you dismiss a triple PPC build on the BH, load it up and drop into a training room on a hot map like Tormaline Desert or Terra Therma and try out different firing patterns and routines.

"Chain-fire your way around ghost heat that doesn't exist"

Edited by S t P a u l y, 06 March 2019 - 05:22 PM.

#14 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 March 2019 - 03:04 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 06 March 2019 - 12:30 AM, said:

The HSL + 1 for the Bounty Hunter allows me to fire 3 ERPPC simultaneously but what's the point of that? The heat build up is too high, can't stuff too many DHS 'cause you run out of slots, the mech just isn't viable to make use of this quirk.

Better to keep an UAC20 and 4 MPLs with a LFE 300 and a bunch of DHS or AC20, 5 ML and an ERPPC or something. Or am I missing something here?
Gauss+2ERPPC, since Gauss Rifles count towards the same weapons family.

#15 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:28 AM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 06 March 2019 - 09:44 AM, said:

For example, I have an Executioner Build, that takes this principle to the max that never fails to deliver me 500-600+ damage consistently every single match, despite the fact that I would instantly explode if I tried to fire all my weapons at once.

What's your Executioner build if I may ask? I struggle to make this thing work in QP. I've made some close range brawlers with the Prime with some limited success, but nothing that ever exceeds 400 damage a match, with the only exception that if I get lucky and the enemy team is trash.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users