My Predictions For New Clan Mechpacks This Year...

28 replies to this topic

#1 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:56 AM

I just posted most of the below in another topic but it occurred to me it fits in this forum also. We have at least five more mech pack announcements likely this year, along with the 2019 MechCon PGI creation mech. Given the settled HG lawsuit and its whole "derivative artwork" issue, which we're already seeing bear fruit with the Warhammer IIC and Rifleman IIC, it should be obvious that we're going to not only get some more IIC mechs this year but some very requested ones, as well at that.

Something else we are seeing with PGI is their delivering mech pack options to the players to have non OmniMech alternatives at various tonnages that don't already exist in the game The recent Warhammer IIC was useful because it gave a alternative to the gargoyle at 80 tons, that wasn't an omnimech stuck with a 400XL engine. Same reason why we got the Marauder IIC as the battlemech option over a Warhawk that wasn't stuck with 20 DHS as fixed equipment.

Currently there is a need for battlemech alternatives at 95 tons, 70 tons, 65 tons, 45 tons, and 25 tons, There could also be a 20 ton omnimech alternative to the piranha but it would need to be a PGI original creation as nothing exists in the lore other than the fire moth, which won't function with the limitations of the game engine as far as mech speeds are concerned.

At 25 tons the blatantly obvious choice is the Locust IIC which has so many variants in the lore that fit the current game tech timeline, that the only PGI creation needs to be a "hero" mech. This is another mech from the 3055 TRO (as were the Jenner IIC, Incubus, Vapour Eagle, Linebacker, Marauder IIC, Warhammer IIC and Rifleman IIC) so its already pretty clear PGI is pulling a lot of mechs from that TRO now that the lawsuit has been settled with Harmony Gold especially regarding "derivative works".

At 45 tons it should be equally obvious that we are going to be getting the Shadow Hawk IIC as again it fits the tech timeline with four existing variants, leaving PGI to just create one "reinforcement" and a "hero" variant. Its another mech from the 3055 TRO as well.

The 65 ton slot we already know is going to be the Rifleman IIC. 'Nuff said.

The most likely 70 ton option that at least fits the tech timeline for its year of introduction (and doesn't require adding a new weapon system to the game...as with the Bowman and its ARROW IV artillery missiles) is the Guillotine IIC which while only one known configuration exists prior to 3070, its not as if PGI hasn't created multiple variants for a mech before to get around timeline limitations. Picking this mech also lets them produce a Guillotine for the Inner Sphere players at the same time (so they can do a joint mech pack like the Evolution one of the Charger and Hatamoto-Chi) with only minor art changes being required for the mech models (as with the Highlander and Highlander IIC). There are five versions of the inner sphere Guillotine that fit the timeline so PGI needs to only create the "hero" version.

As to the 95 ton option... nothing exists which fits the tech timeline already so I would expect this is going to be the 2019 MechCon mech announcement, another PGI original and it does make sense for an additional reason. The 2016 mech was the Roughneck (65 ton IS heavy), the 2017 was the Sun Spider (70 ton Clan heavy) and the 2018 being the Corsair (95 ton IS assault). Thus in all likelihood, the 2019 mech is going to be an clan assault, and given we already have two 80 ton, two 85 ton, four 90 ton and two 100 ton clan mechs... but only one 95 ton, that its going to be 95 tons also like the Corsair. I would imagine the lore has it being a creation of Clan Diamond Shark or Clan Hell's Horses.

Anyone have any different predictions or see any flaws in my logic ?

Edited by Dee Eight, 07 March 2019 - 10:58 AM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:59 AM

>No mention of Urbie IIC
>Commence table flipping

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Edited by FupDup, 07 March 2019 - 10:59 AM.

#3 The pessimistic optimist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:11 AM

View PostFupDup, on 07 March 2019 - 10:59 AM, said:

>No mention of Urbie IIC
>Commence table flipping

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Urbie madness is the best kind of madness!

#4 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:15 PM

View PostSirSmokes, on 07 March 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

Urbie madness is the best kind of madness!

This is now an Urbie IIC thread.

#5 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:24 PM

I think we have enough IIc mechs thanks .

#6 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:19 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 07 March 2019 - 10:56 AM, said:

There could also be a 20 ton omnimech alternative to the piranha but it would need to be a PGI original creation as nothing exists in the lore other than the fire moth, which won't function with the limitations of the game engine as far as mech speeds are concerned.

You forgot the Howler which, although not a pretty 'mech, at least offers Missile options for a 20 tonner. 3 allowed variants.

At 25 tons the blatantly obvious choice is the Locust IIC

That or the Commando IIC seem likely, though I would prefer the Fire Falcon or Solitaire

At 45 tons it should be equally obvious that we are going to be getting the Shadow Hawk IIC as again it fits the tech timeline with four existing variants, leaving PGI to just create one "reinforcement" and a "hero" variant. Its another mech from the 3055 TRO as well.

Agreed, though I would prefer the Mongrel

The most likely 70 ton option that at least fits the tech timeline for its year of introduction is the Guillotine IIC

PGI could always use the IS versions as a basis for creating the IIC variants (which I think they did with the other IICs?)

As to the 95 ton option... nothing exists which fits the tech timeline already so I would expect this is going to be the 2019 MechCon mech announcement, another PGI original

While I could see this happening, I would much rather they hand-wave the timeline a little and give us the Hellstar or Cygnus instead

#7 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:38 PM

Isn't the Grizzly a 70 tons clan battlemech ?

#8 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 03:59 PM

View PostChapeL, on 07 March 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:

Isn't the Grizzly a 70 tons clan battlemech ?

Yes, but it's kinda mediocre and also not a IIC (this thread was specifically focused on those).

Edited by FupDup, 07 March 2019 - 04:12 PM.

#9 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:42 PM

As to the 95 ton option... nothing exists which fits the tech timeline already

Wrong. Turkina

#10 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:43 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 March 2019 - 04:42 PM, said:

Wrong. Turkina

This is a thread dedicated to IICs.

#11 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:46 PM

View PostFupDup, on 07 March 2019 - 04:43 PM, said:

This is a thread dedicated to IICs.

Why the F would we only get IICs for the rest of the year?

#12 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:47 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 March 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

Why the F would we only get IICs for the rest of the year?

We wouldn't, but the thread creator is speculating that we might.

Edited by FupDup, 07 March 2019 - 04:47 PM.

#13 VulcanXIV

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:43 PM

you clanbros can dream

#14 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:18 PM

View PostFupDup, on 07 March 2019 - 04:47 PM, said:

We wouldn't, but the thread creator is speculating that we might.

Well there is literally nothing indicating that we would be restricted to IICs only...but okay

#15 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:24 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 March 2019 - 07:18 PM, said:

Well there is literally nothing indicating that we would be restricted to IICs only...but okay

I'm not stating my own thoughts or opinions or desires, I'm stating the OP's speculation that he laid out (he specifically said we'd be getting more IICs and some of the more commonly requested ones, and he was looking for battlemechs to fill in certain tonnage intervals that only have Omnis on the Clan side right now).

#16 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:32 PM

All these 2cs make it seem i'd just be buying the clan version of my IS mechs. Given how crappy the 2c jenners are I'll happily pass on the 2cs wave. Maybe if there was a Catapult 2c-c1 I'd c-bill it when they came out. I don't need clan version of all my IS mechs. Did anyone ever buy that lame cjenner mg only hero?

#17 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:39 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 07 March 2019 - 07:32 PM, said:

All these 2cs make it seem i'd just be buying the clan version of my IS mechs. Given how crappy the 2c jenners are I'll happily pass on the 2cs wave. Maybe if there was a Catapult 2c-c1 I'd c-bill it when they came out. I don't need clan version of all my IS mechs. Did anyone ever buy that lame cjenner mg only hero?

The Jenny IIC was fine until the rescale. In general most of the IICs are pretty good gundams in MWO but you can still make the case for them not being very original.

#18 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:58 PM

The only obvious choices for IIC's now are the Phoenix Hawk IIC, Shadow Hawk IIC, Locust IIC and Urbanmech IIC if we are restricting this to just IIC releases for the clans. I kinda hope they space them apart though since I believe PGI was trying to follow the MAD-IIC, WHM-IIC and RFL-IIC format until the HG fiasco, so that explains the gap of releases between releases until the sudden WHM-IIC and RFL-IIC. They should focus now on under saturated weight brackets like the 95 ton slot for the clans, and god forbid we can lay off IS mediums for a bit.

#19 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:39 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 07 March 2019 - 07:58 PM, said:

The only obvious choices for IIC's now are the Phoenix Hawk IIC, Shadow Hawk IIC, Locust IIC and Urbanmech IIC if we are restricting this to just IIC releases for the clans. I kinda hope they space them apart though since I believe PGI was trying to follow the MAD-IIC, WHM-IIC and RFL-IIC format until the HG fiasco, so that explains the gap of releases between releases until the sudden WHM-IIC and RFL-IIC. They should focus now on under saturated weight brackets like the 95 ton slot for the clans, and god forbid we can lay off IS mediums for a bit.

Yeah.. but then the lore people come in and say "Achchualy mediums were the most prolific type of mech in BattleTech sooo"

I'd love to get the Turkina for the 95 ton slot but we'll see. Phoenix Hawk IIC and Locust IIC would be my preferences there.

I think for IS we can unfortunately expect more classic designs to fill in MW5, like Crusader, Stinger, Wasp, etc

View PostFupDup, on 07 March 2019 - 07:24 PM, said:

I'm not stating my own thoughts or opinions or desires, I'm stating the OP's speculation that he laid out (he specifically said we'd be getting more IICs and some of the more commonly requested ones, and he was looking for battlemechs to fill in certain tonnage intervals that only have Omnis on the Clan side right now).

I get that, I'm just being critical of the OPs view point there.

#20 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:44 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 March 2019 - 04:42 PM, said:

Wrong. Turkina

Why the turkina ? Its not actually that desirable a mech. For starters its another Omni and we don't need another 95 ton example of that as much as we need a 95 ton battlemech. It would be as slow as a direwolf with the ridiculous wide profile of a Night star. And it has fixed jump jets so again using tonnage as the Executioner is stuck using. All it really fulfills in an overload of hard points for fans of power creep building.

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 07 March 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

You forgot the Howler which, although not a pretty 'mech, at least offers Missile options for a 20 tonner. 3 allowed variants.

I didn't forget it because we already have a clan 20 ton BattleMech in the piranha. What's missing is a 20 ton OmniMech. There's the Stinger IIC also but I didn't bother mentioning it either because again its not an OmniMech.

That or the Commando IIC seem likely, though I would prefer the Fire Falcon or Solitaire

In terms of 25 ton clan options, the Commando has only one version in the lore whereas the Locust IIC has six which fit the timeline correctly (the IIC 6 only needs to have the machine gun arrays substituted with something else since all mechs in this game already have the weapon convergence feature that the array performed). The Solitaire has only one version that would be possible (the one with the MASC exceeds the mech speed limit of the game engine) so more for PGI to "invent". The Fire Falcon is another OmniMech and we already have that with the mist lynx.

PGI could always use the IS versions as a basis for creating the IIC variants (which I think they did with the other IICs?)

Every existing IIC mech in this game already existed in Battletech. PGI has created only three mechs so far and those are the ones I already covered as being the MechCon mechs.

Edited by Dee Eight, 07 March 2019 - 08:50 PM.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users