25 replies to this topic

#1 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:55 PM

My 4 AMS Piranha...It makes me extremely happy now, so happy I am laughing outloud during matches. Im laughing so loudly its scaring the neighbors. I had to fit it with the Halloween Pumpkin Warhorns just to emulate what Im doing as LRMs explode around me. Just wish it would go off everytime my AMS destroys a volley of LRM's.

#2 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:15 AM

Seems like a waste on such a tonnage starved chassis, but sure...

#3 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:18 AM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 19 March 2019 - 09:55 PM, said:

Just wish it would go off everytime my AMS destroys a volley of LRM's.

So, you want AMS warhorns? Or AMS-Horns?

#4 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:52 AM

It is beautiful, isn't it, Gemini? :D

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 20 March 2019 - 12:15 AM, said:

Shut up, Lurmer!

#5 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:05 AM

View PostAcersecomic, on 20 March 2019 - 12:52 AM, said:

Shut up, Lurmer!

I'm not sure if you think that's supposed to be an insult, but it is an incorrect statement, since I haven't use LRMs on a 'mech since... probably the Civil War patch?

But hey, you're welcome to waste as much tonnage as you like...

#6 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:01 AM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 20 March 2019 - 01:05 AM, said:

I'm not sure if you think that's supposed to be an insult, but it is an incorrect statement, since I haven't use LRMs on a 'mech since... probably the Civil War patch?

But hey, you're welcome to waste as much tonnage as you like...

It's never a waste to use all the AMS. Hell, my Nova-S earns 500-600 score easy exactly because of AMS and like.... 400? damage. And even that comes relatively easy. And that's prepatch.
A fast nimble fish weith broken hit registration and clan weapons... you underestimate its power, young Kenobi.

Edited by Acersecomic, 20 March 2019 - 02:02 AM.

#7 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:19 AM

View PostAcersecomic, on 20 March 2019 - 02:01 AM, said:

It's never a waste to use all the AMS. A fast nimble fish weith broken hit registration and clan weapons... you underestimate its power, young Kenobi.

After the engine, 3 DHS, 4 AMS + 4 tons of ammo, that's 1.5 tons left for weapons and with only 4B per ST, a 1E CT and stripped arms... it's just not a threat to anything.

#8 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:35 AM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 20 March 2019 - 04:19 AM, said:

After the engine, 3 DHS, 4 AMS + 4 tons of ammo, that's 1.5 tons left for weapons and with only 4B per ST, a 1E CT and stripped arms... it's just not a threat to anything.

Nonsense. I've seen a few good builds. Do you know that Heavy small lasers do as much as IS medium lasers? Some Locusts and Fleas pack 4 mediums and that's it.
The thing with Piranha-A is to not play like like other Piranhas but like other 20-25 ton mechs. You are neither a striker nor an ambusher. You defend against LRMs and do a few pokes, and go agressive in the later stages of the fight when you can afford to go all out with what weapons you got (which is just fine).
It is a different philosophy compared to other Piranhas since that bloody fish has a repulation for being the bloodthirstiest of lights.
People think just because it is a Piranha it has to be able to cut assaults into pieces. No. You don't expect that of your Commandos, Locusts, or any other light for that matter. No, instead of getting all the damage on insane bursts, PIR-A does it over time while shielding the team, and only when enemy numbers dwindle can you go and do what Piranhas do, just on a bit smaller scale.
It is not a waste, just a more Light approach to fighting than what other Piranhas do. Because lets face it, a Piranha is like no other light mech.

EDIT: 4t engine saves you half a ton after you add the extra needed heatsink. Add two LAMS instead of two AMS and that means you need to bring less ammo for AMS as well, 1, 2 or 1,5t is enough and you saved more tons again. Cut a lot from head a very little from arms and you got 3,5t to work with. It's just about playing around and not thinking like you would xD Odd way to put it.

Edited by Acersecomic, 20 March 2019 - 04:49 AM.

#9 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:26 AM

What have we become? Well, if this is any indication of the level of fun one can expect from a FPS, that a pilot is mounting nothing but defensive weapons and there are no teams.... Ah, that may work but............oh never mind. The game is "mostly dead" and what's the point anymore....

#10 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:37 AM

View PostAsym, on 20 March 2019 - 05:26 AM, said:

What have we become? Well, if this is any indication of the level of fun one can expect from a FPS, that a pilot is mounting nothing but defensive weapons and there are no teams.... Ah, that may work but............oh never mind. The game is "mostly dead" and what's the point anymore....

Yes a defensive weapon thats supposed to be effective against a no risk offensive weapon is now actually effective. THE HORROR

#11 zerosouL

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:40 AM

LRM is meant to be just a support weapon and not the ultimate potato answer to everything. Works as intended.

#12 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:34 AM

If you learned how to duck, you wouldn't need four.

#13 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:36 AM

You know whats really sad? Just lost a match on Polar.

Enemy team was mostly auto aim, every one of us had AMS. They started kiting back as soon as we were in range and ran us all out of AMS ammo. lol.

#14 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:39 AM

https://cdn.drawcept...HRROA51kb-8.png

View PostC E Dwyer, on 20 March 2019 - 08:34 AM, said:

4 AMS is not about hiding though, it is about spiting (spite) the LRM boats that field 60 to 90 LRM tubes on a mech and for protecting your whole team from that the Green Goblin.

View PostPrototelis, on 20 March 2019 - 08:36 AM, said:

Enemy team was mostly auto aim, every one of us had AMS. They started kiting back as soon as we were in range and ran us all out of AMS ammo. lol.

Lurmer skum is uniting! We need to fight back before they get too cocky!

Edited by Acersecomic, 20 March 2019 - 08:41 AM.

#15 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:30 AM

My 4 AMS Piranha...

I just finished taking out a 4 AMS Piranha for a some QP matches, and was reported for non participation... by the enemy team :)

There was barely one LRM mech per match, meaning half the time that single LRM mech was on my own team, and I was mostly shooting down ~100 missiles per match, because that's all there was available to shoot down.

So now that I checked I'm starting to think all this LRM exaggeration comes down from the lowest tier QP matches. Because in the high tier QP matches, at the time of day I played, I could barely tell if this game had LRMs in it.

High Tier matches are all about taking pinpoint twitch shots to the center torso without getting your own center torso shot back, and about crybabies complaining about whatever else the remaining few players are doing, instead of taking pinpoint twitch shot to enemy center torsos.

I'll try again at a different day and time, but even in the single Polar Highlands QP match I played, the enemy team didn't have a single LRM boat, not one.

#16 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:41 AM

View PostzerosouL, on 20 March 2019 - 05:40 AM, said:

LRM is meant to be just a support weapon and not the ultimate potato answer to everything. Works as intended.

In terms of whether or not it should be boated, it absolutely should be as some 'Mech chassis are built around their use, with energy mounts usually for just backup purposes. However that was all based on a tabletop game, in a game like MWO LRMs are kinda in a weird spot. They are either far too weak or far too strong, and as a support weapon they chew up a remarkable amount of tonnage and critical space.

#17 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:05 AM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 20 March 2019 - 09:30 AM, said:

I just finished taking out a 4 AMS Piranha for a some QP matches, and was reported for non participation... by the enemy team :)

There was barely one LRM mech per match, meaning half the time that single LRM mech was on my own team, and I was mostly shooting down ~100 missiles per match, because that's all there was available to shoot down.

So now that I checked I'm starting to think all this LRM exaggeration comes down from the lowest tier QP matches. Because in the high tier QP matches, at the time of day I played, I could barely tell if this game had LRMs in it.

High Tier matches are all about taking pinpoint twitch shots to the center torso without getting your own center torso shot back, and about crybabies complaining about whatever else the remaining few players are doing, instead of taking pinpoint twitch shot to enemy center torsos.

I'll try again at a different day and time, but even in the single Polar Highlands QP match I played, the enemy team didn't have a single LRM boat, not one.

Lucky you. My tier 1 experience is 1-2 LURM boats per team, sometimes 3-4, rare but happens as well.

#18 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:45 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 20 March 2019 - 12:15 AM, said:

Not a waste if it makes me smile :)

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 20 March 2019 - 12:18 AM, said:

So, you want AMS warhorns? Or AMS-Horns?

Yes :)
Cackling Evil ones :)

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 20 March 2019 - 04:19 AM, said:

Jay Jay Jay... 2 LAMS and 2 Standard don't require that much ammo :)

View PostC E Dwyer, on 20 March 2019 - 08:34 AM, said:

Oh its not because I can't dodge, no no no, I like the fun of making LURMERs useless...*happy sigh* It makes my heart glad.

#19 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:08 PM

My 4 AMS Piranha...It makes me extremely happy now, so happy I am laughing outloud during matches. Im laughing so loudly its scaring the neighbors. I had to fit it with the Halloween Pumpkin Warhorns just to emulate what Im doing as LRMs explode around me. Just wish it would go off everytime my AMS destroys a volley of LRM's.

Then suddenly:

Posted Image

Oh well! I guess you had your fun while it lasted. Posted Image

View PostAcersecomic, on 20 March 2019 - 12:52 AM, said:

It is beautiful, isn't it, Gemini? Posted Image

Shut up, Lurmer!

And yet in that other thread, you intimated how being hit by LRMs deeply affects you psychologically, emotionally, and who knows how else. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 20 March 2019 - 05:06 PM.

#20 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:12 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 20 March 2019 - 08:36 AM, said:

LRM-based tactics? Who would have thought? Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users