Am I The Only One Here That Thinks The Lrm Changes Are Awesome?

22 replies to this topic

#1 cheapcamper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:05 PM

Dear PGI:

I honestly would expect lrmmagadon given the player feedback to the announcement.

Until I rock into a game with lrm builds as secondary weapons, as well as being in the receiving end of it( I pack ams all the time)

Holy moly, lrm do actually have the effect of suppressing enemies into cover, instead of just punishing enemies who are behind cover!

The increase velocity buff is amazing when direct fire, where as indirect fire lock time increase means you don’t get instakilled when brawling behind cover as it takes ages to lock on + missle travel by then anys reasonable player with situational awareness could had gone to cover( as long as they are reasonably speed)

And AMS buff is amazing, and that’s coming from an srm main guy, sure I do less 1K damage match in my srm boat now, but it encourages brawling with srms as it encourages you to get “closed so you can see the white of their eye” distance which actually makes srm more accurate, at the same time counter srm 200m+ poptarting which in my humble opinion was quite “overeffective” according to my personal experience.

I hate to admit it, but I endorse PGI trying to improve an existing gameplay mechanics at this end stage of the product life cycle. You can love or hate this company for its past incompetency but I think this is a right step and the right attitude to improve the game,

Of course, to many existing player any change is bad as it up sets habit, hell, i was damn upset about ghost heat, pop tart nerf, enlarged spider/ cheetah leg hit box as it ruins my fun!) but I am sure most of the players s improve their gameplay experience thou ( at the expense of single digit light que consistency, there re so many assault mechs might as well change this game to mechASSULT online).

Anyways, it would be nice if pgi could maintain the same passion in improving gameplay of Mel even as MW5 becomes the next big thing. Good work.

TLDR, boat ams and don’t fire less indirectly as it means you wasting ammo, use lemon as direct fire weapon!

BTW PGI, can we have a “getting locked on” on warning like fighter jet does when they are in the processed of getting locked on? It would help so much in gameplay for those not packing ams and light mechs, esp for light mechs as they are the minority here that’s needs our luv<3

Edited by cheapcamper, 20 March 2019 - 07:08 PM.

#2 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:13 PM

I like it but wish they would fix ams shooting missiles thru terrain, kinda defeats the point of the low arc.

Edited by Johny Rocket, 20 March 2019 - 07:14 PM.

#3 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:15 PM

Missile health being indirectly proportional to the launcher tube count just does not compute. It's supposed to be the same missile.

#4 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:25 PM

View Postcheapcamper, on 20 March 2019 - 07:05 PM, said:

BTW PGI, can we have a “getting locked on” on warning like fighter jet does when they are in the processed of getting locked on? It would help so much in gameplay for those not packing ams and light mechs, esp for light mechs as they are the minority here that’s needs our luv<3

We could have an EWS item that could do this. I don't think it should be a given thing for all mechs to suddenly have an early warning system. PGI could make an item to do just that and those who want it, should invest some tonnage into getting that online.

BTW, I used my quad LRM 15 Revenant yesterday for a couple of matches and LRMs are definitely good when fired with direct LOS and from 200-400m away. The convergence is decent and the arc prevents a lot of time wasting when reaching the intended target. However, yes, the AMS firing through terrain was silly. I was playing one match on Caustic Valley and some of my LRMs were being shot down by AMS shooting through the big boulders surround the caldera. LRMs don't seem to a good option for early game damage like before however. That curtails the usage of LRMs but at the ranges I mentioned before and with direct LOS, they are very good.

Also, it is nice overall to not have to run away from missiles on maps like Polar Highlands before I even spot enemy heavies and assaults. That made for some great matches in my Nightstar.

PGI has tried to improve the quality of matches and they have to some extent but some aspects need tweaking. So, good job but please look into tweaking the values some more and try to stop AMS from shooting down missiles through solid objects.

#5 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:26 PM

Am I The Only One Here That Thinks The Lrm Changes Are Awesome?

yes

#6 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:41 PM

this is a good day for mwo

it's still early in terms of how much negative effect this is going to have on mrms and srms which isn't great

but I haven't been this excited to actually make some changes in the mechlab based on a balancing patch since......ever

there actually a reason to take ams now

#7 Here comes BarHaid from 3025

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 29 posts
  • LocationStill Mid-Cascadia. It's not like I've moved or anything, geez....

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:06 PM

You are NOT alone, Mr./Ms. Camper.

#8 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:09 PM

The rest of the people who don't mind change are too busy playing to bother with forums.

#9 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:48 PM

Ams range buff.
Missile heat nerf.
The amazing and astounding AMS ability to shoot thru solid matter.
If only the target locks acted like they do in the video vs ECM.
Amazing how PGI conveniently forget about.
Yeah they did their usual banged up job.

Edited by Novakaine, 20 March 2019 - 10:49 PM.

#10 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:51 PM

I cannot tell if the missiles were nerfed or buffed .

#11 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:09 PM

View PostDarkFhoenix, on 20 March 2019 - 10:51 PM, said:

I cannot tell if the missiles were nerfed or buffed .

People who hate lurms are screaming that missile buff will ruin the game.

People who love lurms are screaming that missile nerf will ruin the game.

Sounds like balance to me.

Edited by Gagis, 20 March 2019 - 11:09 PM.

#12 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:27 PM

The LRM Rework IS awesome as a concept. Problem is it's execution.

#13 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:29 PM

True balance Posted Image

People don't seem to understand PGI's reasoning behind the missile health changes. They say, a rapid firing AMS is more effective against a denser cloud of missiles, therefore, the barrage of an AMS does more DMG against a flight of LRM20 missiles in comparison to a flight of LRM5. They just don't alter the DMG of the AMS, they reduce the health of the LRM-salvo against AMS - which is effectively the same. Tuning ofc is another matter.

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 20 March 2019 - 11:30 PM.

#14 eminus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 604 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:48 PM

LRM is fine....a bit..just need to look at the health of it

AMS is fine...a bit just need to remove the ability to shot down a missile behind walls/ceiling/mountains

BEFORE the PATCH

LRM80 Assaults: oh look someone shooting my missiles, does not matter I will spam LRM80 volley
Receiving End: it is useles to even have 3x or 4x AMS because missile spams will still eat you alive
LRM80 Assaults: SEE 1K DAMAGE!!! I AM GOD!!!

AFTER the PATCH:

LRM80 Assaults: WTF all my missiles are gone...need to spam more.....WTF..again....TIME TO COMPLAIN IN THE FORUM
Receiving End: AHHHHHH finally AMS doing its job

it should be more tactical now...if you see AMS carrying enemies...tell your non LRM/ATM buddies to prioritize the one who is carrying the AMS the same you do if you see an ECM carrying mech

#15 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:27 AM

View PostJohny Rocket, on 20 March 2019 - 07:13 PM, said:

I like it but wish they would fix ams shooting missiles thru terrain, kinda defeats the point of the low arc.

That has been happening for YEARS now. Its been the case since I joined in 2016.

#16 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:15 AM

Re-scale,long tom,Skill Tree, Engine Desync, LRM Buff, Mechcon, freeze on any kind of development ... and now this destruction of play styles if you use missiles . All great Events in PGI's development history that caused players to uninstall.

As for me personally i like to use every playstyle and build and mech. Variety is the spice of my life every time "balance" is applied i feel there is less variety in what can actually be a viable playstyle.

Edited by Racerxintegra2k, 21 March 2019 - 03:17 AM.

#17 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:01 AM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 21 March 2019 - 03:15 AM, said:

Re-scale,long tom,Skill Tree, Engine Desync, LRM Buff, Mechcon, freeze on any kind of development ... and now this destruction of play styles if you use missiles . All great Events in PGI's development history that caused players to uninstall.

As for me personally i like to use every playstyle and build and mech. Variety is the spice of my life every time "balance" is applied i feel there is less variety in what can actually be a viable playstyle.

I pretty much agree with this.

Back in the day I used to cycle through all of my mechs. Play one until I got a win, then moved on to the next. Yes, some were consistently better than others but all had their charms. As the number of mechs in my collection grew, ironically more and more have become less fun to play, or were on their face objectively inferior to others rendering them pointless to play except as some sort of "lets see if I can overcome adversity" type of exercise.

This best vs all the rest distinctiveness is more apparent now more than ever,and I think it is totally a result of PGI's balance efforts since skill tree and arguably all the way back to re-scale. With the exception of all the effort they put in to gut the Kodiaks (and especially the 3) what is clearly at the top has been so for years and all the rest just keep getting worse and there is just no reason to play them. New mechs have been introduced which sometimes shake up or add a select variant here and there to the relatively small number of top performers, but PGI's "balance" efforts rarely affect their status once they are there.

Why PGI focuses on making the mediocre less fun while maintaining the status quo of the top performers, I have no idea. Seems a bad way to encourage mech sales, it hurts diversity of play, it totally disheartens the new player and actively drives them away. I just don't get it.

Whatever. But hey AMS rocks now! Sweet!!

#18 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,842 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:50 AM

View Posteminus, on 20 March 2019 - 11:48 PM, said:

LRM is fine....a bit..just need to look at the health of it

AMS is fine...a bit just need to remove the ability to shot down a missile behind walls/ceiling/mountains

BEFORE the PATCH

LRM80 Assaults: oh look someone shooting my missiles, does not matter I will spam LRM80 volley
Receiving End: it is useles to even have 3x or 4x AMS because missile spams will still eat you alive
LRM80 Assaults: SEE 1K DAMAGE!!! I AM GOD!!!

AFTER the PATCH:

LRM80 Assaults: WTF all my missiles are gone...need to spam more.....WTF..again....TIME TO COMPLAIN IN THE FORUM
Receiving End: AHHHHHH finally AMS doing its job

it should be more tactical now...if you see AMS carrying enemies...tell your non LRM/ATM buddies to prioritize the one who is carrying the AMS the same you do if you see an ECM carrying mech

Man the exaggeration on the first part is so bad, you could see the circle jerk he came out. (Without cleaning up after himself)

Like wow what crazed up world you came from to come up with that, 3+ ams was a strong sheilf
D to protect your team from even lrm 80 spam, and mix with other anti-lurm equipment and environment it was diffcult for lurmers to get all there damage out be shut down by a kit fox or two with thriple ams+ecm and took some smucks to leave the bubble to be rained onto death.

#19 PAQUERA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:30 AM

im with u, im very happy with this update

#20 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:42 AM

I'm glad someone else sees the positive changes to LRM's besides myself. I like the direct fire mechanic because it reminds me of a classic throwback to how LRM's worked back in MW2. However, AMS shooting through walls absolutely needs to get fixed since it's not fun when the enemy is on the opposite wall of you and can negate almost all of your missiles. I was dumbfounded one match when i couldn't figure out why my missiles were magically disappearing so quickly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users