27 replies to this topic

#21 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:30 AM

View PostMakenzie71, on 25 March 2019 - 05:41 PM, said:

Since the idea is to encourage people to play more maybe it would be a better idea to ditch the first 10 bonus.

Your elo is supposed to be a measure of your ability as a pilot. If the uber pilot shows up and it takes forever for him to get to the 2100 number he's "supposed" to be at, he's going to knock people down alot further getting there if it takes more matches. Its good for the rest of us if he gets there in 10 matches and hurts the people in the middle alot less that way.

Its like if there was a chess tournament and a grand-master from a previous tournament had to spend a ton of time fighting neophytes before being ranked properly. You want that guy ranked where he should be...

Edited by Dionnsai, 26 March 2019 - 04:38 AM.

#22 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:45 AM

The other thing is, there is some gaming of the system going on, if you spectate matches you'll see some of this. It would be very possible for a skilled pilot to rank up an alt to a fairly reasonable level (say 2k or so), then fight that alt on his main account for the first 10 matches to get a huge boost to a point where they would be nearly unreachable.

I don't doubt that at least some out there might try something like this, especially when the top prizes are big fat piles of MC, I've seen some very strange matches in spectate...

Edited by Dionnsai, 26 March 2019 - 04:45 AM.

#23 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:53 AM

I don't think it would really work that way. First, some of the "uber" pilots do that anyway through multiple accounts. Kong currently has two accounts in the top 20 in Div 1 and I could have sworn he had a third up there, too, at one time. There's a few others who hid their account so creatively, but who knows how many people are really doing it. If these guys had to be more active it would do a lot to prevent that from happening. And the scenario you describe really only happens if there's one highly skilled player and the rest are potatoes...if getting to the top required a greater time investment all of the top tier players would spend more time there. And having those higher tier players actually draws more players in.

So sure they'll have to grind a bit more but it draws traffic and, at the end of the day, when the differential in players is 300 points the lower skill player really isn't losing a lot, but if they get lucky the higher skill player has a to lose.

On your second point...absolutely...Alcom posted an equation in one of my threads a while back that I've been playing with and yeah, if you do it carefully you can really draw in a good score, but there doesn't seem to be much anyone can do about it...we're not even suppose to "talk" about it Posted Image

Edited by Makenzie71, 26 March 2019 - 05:00 AM.

#24 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 05:03 AM

yeah, maybe you're right on that. Its a bit bogus that a guy can come in and play 25 matches on day one and then get a fat payout, while never having to fight the other undefeated pilots. But then if this were a true tournament of sorts, the top pilots would be forced into brackets and have to fight it out.

#25 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 05:39 AM

Multi Accounts is a bad thing. In most games I have seen that have it its just so people could get around the system.

Why not have one account that you can divide in subaccounts, if you want to seperate things between IS, Clan and Solaris (whatever) but everything is setup to one ID.

That way you can have 2-3 FW sub-accounts for beeing clan, IS and Merc or you can have 2 Solaris-sub accounts for your IS Warrior und your Clansman-Solaris figher but in the end you can't play against yourself or manipulate the votes in FW.

PS: Pointloss and with it the loss of placement/rang is something I would also welcome. I don't think that there is any other type of competetive sport where you can just lay back and never lift a finger again and still be called the best.
There needs to be more dynamik in the rankings.

Edited by Nesutizale, 26 March 2019 - 05:41 AM.

#26 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 26 March 2019 - 05:52 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 26 March 2019 - 05:39 AM, said:

I don't think that there is any other type of competetive sport where you can just lay back and never lift a finger again and still be called the best.

I don't think you've ever heard the words "hockey" or "Gretzky" before.

#27 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 06:12 AM

Hockey yes. but i don't know how they are counting and Getzky...nope never heard of it.

Edit
Did a quick google search...are you refering to him haveing scored a lot of points? That is something different to me entirly. That is about him haveing a personal high score. Still he had to play Hockey matches, her we have people who don't have to play to be given the prize.

Haveing to play brings with it the possibility to loose points, except you are realy that good, then you deserve the first place.
If not it gives other people the chance to climb up.

With cheating the system through secondary accounts and not beeing forced in some way to play at all, you don't have any kind of danger to your position.

Edited by Nesutizale, 26 March 2019 - 06:17 AM.

#28 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 06:52 AM

View PostDionnsai, on 26 March 2019 - 04:45 AM, said:

The other thing is, there is some gaming of the system going on, if you spectate matches you'll see some of this. It would be very possible for a skilled pilot to rank up an alt to a fairly reasonable level (say 2k or so), then fight that alt on his main account for the first 10 matches to get a huge boost to a point where they would be nearly unreachable.

I don't doubt that at least some out there might try something like this, especially when the top prizes are big fat piles of MC, I've seen some very strange matches in spectate...

I didn't even think about this. That's not a pleasant thought. Hopefully no one is doing this.
Well, if ELO decay isn't an answer I would be open to talking about another solution to pilots 25-ing and ditching the game mode.
The population may be so low they wouldn't mess with the system at this point.

Especially in 2v2s. It's sad how few people play. Been having a blast the last few days with my unit. More people played they would see just how fun it is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users