Best Medium To Build A Scouting Deck With

7 replies to this topic

#1 Ewald von Guderian

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:17 PM

Until I can get enough mechs with the skill points and customizations needed for invasion FP, what is the best IS medium to bring to the Scouting missions? Also suggestions on kitting it out are welcome.

I will stress that so far in my gameplay experience, XL engines are a way to ask for quick death. I understand that my Osiris has to have one for the speed. But I am happy to accept the weight penalty of a standard engine in exchange for not blowing up due to lucky crits to a side torso.

Thanks in advance.

#2 DeadWeight18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Silent Killer
  • The Silent Killer
  • 263 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:54 PM

For me the Bushwacker X2 with 2x SPL, 2x LBX10, LE250 is working best as an IS medium.

#3 BoldricKent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:52 AM

Scouting has two modes, gathering and protecting, while you can do both with same type of mech, there are clear distinction between them. Your scouting bar will progress only with gathering, so its by design more defensive while protecting require more proactive/ aggressive stance (hunter), so you ll need more mobile mechs. Weapons selection in this tonnage bracket is usually limited to missiles or energy combo, since they can provide more dps and higher alphas then ACs. Streaks are decent option too, dont forget Mist Lynx, Piranha. It really handy to match your mech with other players, at least in mobility/speed.

So for gathering : more armor, more payload, stay tight. 55 tonners, around 300 engine : Kintaro (armor/missiles), Griffin 2N (ecm, nice weapon points, JJ), Buchwackers (good hit boxes, armor, weapon mix, protect legs !), Crabs (durable, agile, energy, but legs !)
Protecting : speed (110-140), mobility, hit boxes : Assassin (hit boxes, mobility,decent firepower), Vulcan (new but quite comparable), Phoenix Hawk (really good armor quirks on legs/arms, arms energy mounts,ecm), Crab.

There are few lights that can play well in scouting, Javlin, Flea, Wolfhound,Spider even Locust, but note while using stealth, you cant cap intel points. And in most cases they are used for capping/scouting, dont expect armor shearing.

Try to do scouting in a group, it will give you real edge and you will benefit from others experiences too, fallow calls , focus fire. Priority targets are separated mech, atms/streaks carriers, ankle bitters (MG).

Use TS Frrhub to get group rolling.

Edited by BoldricKent, 27 March 2019 - 01:59 AM.

#4 Magic Pain Glove

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:29 AM

Feel free to check my Inner Sphere drop deck list (switch to the 2nd scouting sheet). I have a scouting list with various IS builds which I consider good / workable in scouting matches.

#5 Catnium

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:17 PM

bushwacker
King of IS mediums

Edited by Catnium, 02 April 2019 - 11:34 PM.

#6 Drakor

• Pip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:36 AM

So, the bushwacker is the reply that you are going to get the most- just like the stormcrow for the clans, it's well known and reliable. A *better* option is to abandon the mechs that everyone knows how to pick apart, and instead look long and hard at your options. A brawling shadow hawk is a good option. Wolverines are always reliable. Griffins are a little bit squishy, but good capabilities with missiles and ECM... The 50t mechs are also pretty good- crabs have amazing hitboxes and the precision of medium pulse lasers is pretty good... There is one secret 50ter that can carry a 20 class AC, along with some srms to back it up... Generally speaking, look for a chassis that you can brawl well in, as that is what most scouting matches end up as. That, mixed with a dead minimum of 70kph... You have your bases covered. Just don't bring too much ammo- or any in the legs.

#7 _Magno_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 07:50 PM

For scouting I’ve been having a great time with the Hellspawn HSN-7D, 8e or 7d2 with the Guardian EC! Suite.

I left the 2x20 Rocket packets as a, “Through sand in their eye and get out of there” single use.
Max out the Sensors skill tree.

You could easily modify it for more speed and better jump jet capability.

I will play it depending on what the team needs. Either flank and harass and spot from good angles, or park close behind the assaults and brawlers to protect from LRMs and help with spotting.

#8 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 23 December 2019 - 08:55 PM

Scouting still exists?!?!?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users