Streaks And Ecm

70 replies to this topic

#21 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:06 PM

I don't hate battletech, although I do think the IP needs a reboot. It's a little tone deaf in places and it isn't curated that well.

Streaks already one shot non-ecm lights. They don't need a deadfire mode, they're already incredibly strong at what they do.

#22 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:44 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 30 March 2019 - 03:06 PM, said:

I don't hate battletech, although I do think the IP needs a reboot. It's a little tone deaf in places and it isn't curated that well.

Streaks already one shot non-ecm lights. They don't need a deadfire mode, they're already incredibly strong at what they do.

How do explain the ignorance of TWO points in Source that state how it work?
Clearly at that. With no room for "homebrew" interpretation.
Yet here we are with PGI interpretation, balance, and your opinion.
The antithesis of established Lore and Source
Posted Image

Edited by HammerMaster, 30 March 2019 - 04:02 PM.

#23 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 04:41 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 30 March 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

Clearly at that. With no room for "homebrew" interpretation.
Yet here we are with PGI interpretation, balance, and your opinion.
The antithesis of established Lore and Source

Lore also says that streaks are an ammo saving feature and won't fire unless they detect they will all hit. But in this game a lock is a lock so if you lock a 170kph Locust at 240m while it runs all over the place all of the streaks will fire and hit it. Despite the fact that if you tried shooting that Locust with regular Srms its unlikely that they would all hit. If anything Streaks shouldn't always fire and should be better against big mechs, not little mechs.

#24 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 04:45 PM

View Postdario03, on 30 March 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

Lore also says that streaks are an ammo saving feature and won't fire unless they detect they will all hit. But in this game a lock is a lock so if you lock a 170kph Locust at 240m while it runs all over the place all of the streaks will fire and hit it. Despite the fact that if you tried shooting that Locust with regular Srms its unlikely that they would all hit. If anything Streaks shouldn't always fire and should be better against big mechs, not little mechs.

So you're saying.
3 points clearly ignored.
Thanks.

#25 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 05:24 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 30 March 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

How do you not understand how unnecessary that is, or that some aspects of lore/board game rules need to be echewed for an action game?

#26 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:04 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 30 March 2019 - 05:24 PM, said:

How do you not understand how unnecessary that is, or that some aspects of lore/board game rules need to be echewed for an action game?

You have still not explained why SSRMs having 2 modes does not make sense in an action game.

#27 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 08:56 PM

Because it diminishes the role of SRMS as the deadfire solution, on clan side it gives them SRMS that trade at almost the same range as MRMs.

Its a ******* pointless addition.

#28 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:25 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 30 March 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

Because it diminishes the role of SRMS as the deadfire solution, on clan side it gives them SRMS that trade at almost the same range as MRMs.

Pointless? If it will diminish the role of SRMs -- or anything else for that matter -- then it most obviously is not pointless. And that's ignoring the fact that SRMs weigh less than SSRMs.

Also, given that the Clans do not have MRMs, then giving them something that somewhat comes close to MRMs is also not pointless. That's even ignoring the fact that 65% is not "almost the same" -- not in my book anyway.

Now, whether you agree or not that SSRMs should be dumb fired is a different matter. But, "pointless" it most certainly is not.

Finally, if someone loads up on SSRMs only to just use them as SRMs, that's a Mechlab fail wholly on them.

Edited by Mystere, 30 March 2019 - 09:30 PM.

#29 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:12 PM

Clans don't need MRMs, they have plenty of weapons that function in that weight range. MRMs are great for IS because they help out mechs that are strapped for hardpoints, not as much of an issue on clans.

If clan streaks deadfired they would absolutely be taken over standard SRMs, because spread is irrelevant when all of the missiles hit. Half ton for p. much twice the range and an auto aim feature is having your cake and eating it too.

Its a pointless addition that diminishes the role of other weapons on both tech bases. Bring regular SRMs if you're constantly ECM locked or learn to take better engagements instead of just rushing light mechs with your win button.

#30 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:36 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 30 March 2019 - 10:12 PM, said:

Clans don't need MRMs, they have plenty of weapons that function in that weight range. MRMs are great for IS because they help out mechs that are strapped for hardpoints, not as much of an issue on clans.

If clan streaks deadfired they would absolutely be taken over standard SRMs, because spread is irrelevant when all of the missiles hit. Half ton for p. much twice the range and an auto aim feature is having your cake and eating it too.

Its a pointless addition that diminishes the role of other weapons on both tech bases. Bring regular SRMs if you're constantly ECM locked or learn to take better engagements instead of just rushing light mechs with your win button.

And there you go again. Posted Image

You make your opinions sound like absolute facts by using words like "pointless" and then denigrate people who disagree with you by lacing your posts with words like "auto-aim", "having your cake and eating it too", "learn to", "win button".

Disagreeing with someone's idea does not make said idea "pointless".

Here's another one: giving SSRMs the ability to dumb fire makes them more useful against heavier Mechs (i.e. even better than the changes on 22-Jan-2019) -- hopefully, anyway. Posted Image

And speaking of 22-Jan-2019, does anyone here know the exact numbers for the bell-curve distribution?

View PostHammerMaster, on 30 March 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

Hates BattleTech.

Nah! He just hates IDF, so-called auto-aim weapons … and the lore this game is based on. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 30 March 2019 - 10:53 PM.

#31 Kynesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:48 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 29 March 2019 - 04:57 PM, said:

Because PGI didn't read the SOURCE MATERIAL where streak can be toggled OFF for Streak to run as REGULAR SRM when under ECM.
Under PGI's implementation you HAVE TO STAY OUTSIDE of the 100 or so meters and use the TAG/BAP

Oh, they know. They just don't have a way of programming it or modifying the UI enough to facilitate such changes.
Yet another reason why I find the idea of PGI creating MW5 as anything more than a basic tech demo of transplanted assets, to be absolutely hilarious.

#32 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:49 PM

View PostMystere, on 30 March 2019 - 10:36 PM, said:

And there you go again. Posted Image

And here you go cherry picking a few words you think are "mean"

Pointless argument.

You make your opinions sound like absolute facts by using words like "pointless" and then denigrate people who disagree with you with words like "auto-aim", "having your cake and eating it too", "learn to", "win button".

I really don't care if you find the phrase denigrating. You don't even have to track that well to get locks, even with the lock cone nerf. They are auto aim.

Streaks absolutely are a win button against most light mechs. They completely negate having greater mobility and being more difficult to hit.

Disagreeing with someone's idea does not make said idea "pointless".

This is a pointless addition to the game and a completely unneeded buff to a weapon that already demolishes a weight class and a half worth of mechs.

Here's another one: giving SSRMs the ability to dumb fire makes them more useful against heavier Mechs.

Right, because it isn't enough to be able to one shot most lights and outright cripple 45 ton mediums. That is having your cake and eating it too.

I might hate how streaks work, how little you can do about a streak mech in a light or smol medium, but atleast they have a well defined role that differentiates them from their deadfire siblings.

#33 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:00 PM

View PostKynesis, on 30 March 2019 - 10:48 PM, said:

They just don't have a way anyone capable of programming it or modifying the UI enough to facilitate such changes.

FTFY(*).

(*)This is made under the assumption that the story behind the inability of the LBX to switch ammo is true.

#34 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:13 PM

I'm pretty sure the LBX thing is a line of BS on some level, because y'all know clan mechs would just mount solid slugs if there weren't any serious drawbacks over buckshot.

A lot of the features they won't develop have nothing to do with inability, everything to do with money, and a little to do with design choices we aren't privy to.

#35 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:16 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 30 March 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

To you and your source detractor ilk.

View PostPrototelis, on 30 March 2019 - 11:13 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure the LBX thing is a line of BS on some level, because y'all know clan mechs would just mount solid slugs if there weren't any serious drawbacks over buckshot.

A lot of the features they won't develop have nothing to do with inability, everything to do with money, and a little to do with design choices we aren't privy to.

Lies.
LBX is useful other than lower weight for IS.
Stop ONLY thinking if clans.
There are other factions ya know!

#36 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:17 AM

IE the people who want decent gameplay.

#37 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:44 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 31 March 2019 - 10:17 AM, said:

IE the people who want decent gameplay.

By yours and his metric.
Not mine.
All the more reason for you to have your Arcade/High Scores login.
So I can have my Simulator logon.

#38 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:11 AM

it does seem really stupid that a stealth light can just get close to your streak mech (which is supposed to be a counter to light mechs), and the light can just walk all over you, and there's nothing you can do, pointlessly trying to tag them to no result

I'm just going to swap all my streak boats to srms, the autoaim is not worth the frustration

#39 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:19 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 31 March 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

it does seem really stupid that a stealth light can just get close to your streak mech (which is supposed to be a counter to light mechs), and the light can just walk all over you, and there's nothing you can do, pointlessly trying to tag them to no result

I'm just going to swap all my streak boats to srms, the autoaim is not worth the frustration

Uppity lights used to be counterd by knockdowns also.
We all know what happened with that.
I'm all for good light pilots flourishing.
Every Thomas Marik, Rhichard Cameron and Harry can just load stealth light and bounce off terrain, enemy/friendly mech and out punch it's scope is B's.

Edited by HammerMaster, 31 March 2019 - 11:20 AM.

#40 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 12:40 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 31 March 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

This only happens to you because you're in zimbabwe when it happens or when you're with the team the only way you choose communicate is by threatening to walk off of the map in text chat or are otherwise berating everyone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users