• Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:37 AM

View PostKhale MacGregor, on 30 March 2019 - 09:12 AM, said:

Lol, you must be a liberal!

It has nothing to do with maturity, has to do with the different generation. Because if Nova used the term he really wanted to use, 3 things would have happened.
1: No one would have understood it except people who were around when it was being used.
2: Too many of the younger generations like you would have caused an uproar.
3: And Probably would have gotten a warning from PGI.

And how "young" do you think I am?

And, yes, if he had used the word you imply he wanted to use, yes, he would likely have gotten a warning. Because in that context it is considered hate speech. Just like the N-word was once not considered hate speech, but simply the correct term. The world changes, keep up or get left behind. Because whining about societal change does you no good.

I also got a good chuckle on your comments on the military. When did you serve? How many deployments do you have under your belt?

And, no, I'm not "bent out of shape". I made an observation. So many of you guys like to talk down at people, yet you spend way too much time impotently screaming at people on the internet. It's sad, really. All the things you could be doing that you enjoy, and instead you choose this? I'm not even going to bother asking why, I don't care about the answer. Just remember that when you die you won't be losing any relevancy. Can't lose what you never had, right?

Edited by Escef, 30 March 2019 - 10:38 AM.

#22 Skippy The Danger Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:46 AM

View PostAthom83, on 30 March 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

If that's what you do with a Wolverine... I'm sorry I don't think there's any helping ya.

The Wolverine 7k gets a 10% missile range quirk and when outfitted with twin LRM15 launchers and an XL engine, provided an excellent long range punch and played the role as fast support mech very well. Both the Wolverine and my Stalker have a max LRM range of 1135m, but ever since the nerf are useless for their intended roles. There are a lot of LRM heavy mechs that have been relegated to short range brawlers, relying on MRM and SRM to make up for the lack of performance with the new LRM rules. Even then, the volley needs to be launched danger close to the target, which is not a style of game play I prefer. Evidently, I'm not the only one as missile volleys in general are down across the QP queue.

#23 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:52 AM

View PostSkrapiron, on 30 March 2019 - 10:46 AM, said:

The Wolverine 7k gets a 10% missile range quirk and when outfitted with twin LRM15 launchers and an XL engine, provided an excellent long range punch and played the role as fast support mech very well. Both the Wolverine and my Stalker have a max LRM range of 1135m,..

Honestly, range quirks really don't help non-Streak missiles. The spread on SRMs past base range makes firing them not worth the heat or ammo. LRMs and ATMs at that range have so much travel time that breaking lock or getting to cover is almost trivially easy. Can you deal damage at that range? Sure. Are you likely to? No. Range doesn't help. Velocity, that helps. Velocity helps a lot. The shorter the flight time of your missiles the more likely they are to be relevant.

#24 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:06 AM

The Wolverine 7k gets a 10% missile range quirk and when outfitted with twin LRM15 launchers and an XL engine, provided an excellent long range punch and played the role as fast support mech very well. Both the Wolverine and my Stalker have a max LRM range of 1135m, but ever since the nerf are useless for their intended roles.

I mean, you do you... but wouldn't using 2-3 MRMs be even better for the midrange fighting? Or even adding a NARC onto it in the 3rd missile spot help you make use of the LRMs better? I mean, kinda on you for not adapting at that point. You seem to be forgetting the 15% cooldown quirk for all missiles the 7K also has, and that the range quirk is for ALL missiles.

There are a lot of LRM heavy mechs that have been relegated to short range brawlers, relying on MRM and SRM to make up for the lack of performance with the new LRM rules. Even then, the volley needs to be launched danger close to the target, which is not a style of game play I prefer.

Less from them "being forced to" than they're actually pretty good as brawlers. And you don't need to be "danger close"'. Just played my Archer with 2 LRM10a and a MRM30 for finishing off my assist goals for the event, and I pelted target after target from 350-500m.

Evidently, I'm not the only one as missile volleys in general are down across the QP queue.

We playing the same game? Just had a match where there were at least 2 LRM boats on each team. And instead of sitting 800m away waiting for blips, all of them were actively participating in the fight at 400m away.

#25 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:17 AM

View PostEscef, on 30 March 2019 - 10:52 AM, said:

Honestly, range quirks really don't help non-Streak missiles. The spread on SRMs past base range makes firing them not worth the heat or ammo.

Honestly, I like the extra range for my SRMas. A lot of cover to cover trading happens just barely outside SRM base max range, like around 290-300m.

#26 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:34 AM

View PostAthom83, on 30 March 2019 - 11:17 AM, said:

Honestly, I like the extra range for my SRMas. A lot of cover to cover trading happens just barely outside SRM base max range, like around 290-300m.

To each their own, so long as you're getting results. My experience has been that the spread makes a shot at that range not particularly worth it. Your experience has obviously been different. /shrug

#27 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 30 March 2019 - 12:22 PM

Dude why not just use a different weapon system for a little while. Broaden your horizons.

Or just ***** and complain because PGI made it harder to use lock-on no-aim weapons. The choice is yours, I'll be doing my thing running whatever I feel like either way.

#28 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 12:25 PM

View PostKhale MacGregor, on 30 March 2019 - 09:12 AM, said:

It has nothing to do with maturity, has to do with the different generation. Because if Nova used the term he really wanted to use, 3 things would have happened.
1: No one would have understood it except people who were around when it was being used.
2: Too many of the younger generations like you would have caused an uproar.
3: And Probably would have gotten a warning from PGI.

Awww, boomers defending boomers this is cute.

#29 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 March 2019 - 12:28 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 30 March 2019 - 12:25 PM, said:

Awww, boomers defending boomers this is cute.

What's funny is I got curious as to how much older than me he could possibly be, and I peeked at his profile. I'm actually 5 years older than he is, he's on the younger edge of generation X.

Edited by Escef, 30 March 2019 - 12:29 PM.

#30 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 02:17 PM

^lawl

#31 Pontius_Pilot

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 05:25 PM

View PostAthom83, on 30 March 2019 - 11:06 AM, said:

I

We playing the same game? Just had a match where there were at least 2 LRM boats on each team. And instead of sitting 800m away waiting for blips, all of them were actively participating in the fight at 400m away.

From what I saw prior to the LRM patch, that's "danger close" to a lot of lock-farmers.

#32 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:45 AM

View PostPontius_Pilot, on 30 March 2019 - 05:25 PM, said:

From what I saw prior to the LRM patch, that's "danger close" to a lot of lock-farmers.

Considering the guy is complaining that he can't sit 1100m from the fight and LRM... yeah.

#33 Variant1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:26 PM

View PostSkrapiron, on 30 March 2019 - 08:16 AM, said:

PGI is introducing a mech intended to carry LRMs at a time when LRMs have been rendered irrelevant.

If PGI wants to nerf LRMs into extinction, they need to rethink their mech release strategy. I suppose it would be good if they nerfed the try-hards with their aim-bots and trigger macros who like to complain that LRMing is "too easy"...

Most of my mediums are built around LRM support. I haven't taken a single one out since the nerf. There's no reason to. If I can't get a lock or score better than 150 damage with 2700 missiles fired from a StupidNova, why would I bring out a Wolverine with its missile range quirks? Not only can I no longer target at the extended missile range, the AMS buff has made it so that not a single missile hits its target.

The game play has been so poor that I've been relegated to heavies and assaults with lasers and ballistics only. Which is fun, until you get headshot by a gauss sniper with an aim bot from across the map.

LRMS have been relavent, STILL are relavant and will continue to be relevant because of the auto aimlock weapon that it is. My treb still plays fine, my catapult still play fine. PGI barely nerfed lrms, which continue to be widely used in pugs because the weapon causes alot of problems with gameplay.

Im with you on nerfing meta builds tho, those need to be curbed too. but lrms have been the longest and most problematic weapon in the game just going off of how many posts are about it.

#34 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:30 PM

FYI, LRMS have seen increased usage in comp since the incredible ammo and velocity buffs of last year.

#35 Variant1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:46 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 31 March 2019 - 01:30 PM, said:

FYI, LRMS have seen increased usage in comp since the incredible ammo and velocity buffs of last year.

Exactly, not to mention with the direct fire arc lrms can now engage in places they couldnt. os make sense more comp teams would take them

#36 Skippy The Danger Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:09 PM

View PostVariant1, on 31 March 2019 - 01:46 PM, said:

Exactly, not to mention with the direct fire arc lrms can now engage in places they couldnt. os make sense more comp teams would take them

Direct fire LRMs are too easy to defeat, simply by moving behind cover. Not only do you lose target lock, but all the missiles hit the non-destructible terrain. AMS is so over powered that even on LRM Highlands, they are irrelevant. Then there's the whole LOS targeting metric, which is of course predicated on whether the intended target CAN be targeted or not. Far too many matches where ECM keeps targets hidden OUTSIDE of countermeasures including counter ECM and BAP, making the targets invulnerable to lock-on weapons. The whole dynamic of LOW is broken beyond repair now. In Tier 1 play targets that don't have ECM or AMS or BOTH don't exist.

#37 death390

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:34 PM

i have not died to LRMs once in the few hundred games i have played trying to get the current challenge done. even with the increase to the number of LRMs. hell i walked around as a stick for 5 minutes in river city on top of the building with people LRMing me trying to get the kill and i died from bloody fall damage instead (found out my "teammate" was a DC so decided to end it and went to DFA [i wish it worked it would be so easy to program in just put a hitbox on the bottom of the mechs foot and transfer vertical acceleration in the negative direction with a tonnage multiplier into damage]).

LRMs even with DF locks suck with the RC location i just peaked over the edge saw missilses and backed up and they splat'd against the lip of the roof. missile incoming and i don't know where? hide between the buildings/ safe side. IDF from a specific side? run opposite side of the tower. i did this with 50kph due to only having 1 leg and sometimes slower because of JJs.

#38 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,818 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 03:06 PM

im usually not interested in mechpacks unless i can run a yet before unseen ballistics build (i love my boom boom about as much as the op loves his lerms). but that hasnt really happened since the ultraviolet or annihilator. the dervish most certainly cannot do that. so out the window my interest goes. with all new mechpacks, its hard to justify a purchase when i already have a mech in my stable that can do the same job. i sometimes wonder how the real whales justify their existence, dont they get tired of the usual helping of slop and long for something else to do with the game.

Edited by LordNothing, 31 March 2019 - 03:08 PM.

#39 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:04 PM

I'm more concerned that once "soy boy" was unleashed no one chimed in with "beta ****" than the politics of lurming.

#40 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:08 PM

View PostSkrapiron, on 31 March 2019 - 02:09 PM, said:

Direct fire LRMs are too easy to defeat, simply by moving behind cover. Not only do you lose target lock, but all the missiles hit the non-destructible terrain. AMS is so over powered that even on LRM Highlands, they are irrelevant. Then there's the whole LOS targeting metric, which is of course predicated on whether the intended target CAN be targeted or not. Far too many matches where ECM keeps targets hidden OUTSIDE of countermeasures including counter ECM and BAP, making the targets invulnerable to lock-on weapons.

Dude... this is literally LRMs in general including before the change...

Edited by Athom83, 31 March 2019 - 07:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users